Northwestern Mutual Investment Services download errors (QWin)

13»

Answers

• drub0383
    drub0383 Member ✭✭

I am having the exact same issue for some time now as well. It would appear that Quicken is either not monitoring these threads or doesn't care to reply, both are frustrating.

• I'm having this problem also. My Northwestern Mutual advisor has told it's Quicken's responsibility to fix a security issue. What is Quicken's response as to the severity of this security issue and whether it affects the security of my other connected accounts? What is Quicken's timeframe for implementing a fix?

• gaugerfamily
    gaugerfamily Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I filed a software problem ticket yesterday. No response yet. Waiting for answers to the same.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @gaugerfamily,

When you say you filed a software problem ticket, do you mean you submitted a problem report? If that is what you mean, then please be aware that you will not receive a direct response.

While there isn't currently an open alert for this issue, it has already been reported (CTP-10648). Please see my earlier post:

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• gaugerfamily

Thank you Quicken Kristina

Is it possible for the Quicken Support team to make the prior functioning version of Quicken Classis software available prior to Aug 4 while they work on the problem?

I am currently running Version: R58.9, Build 27.1.58.9

• MDS95
    MDS95 Member

Quicken Team,

CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE AN UPDATE DAILY ON THE PROGRESS YOU ARE MAKING TO GET THIS RESOLVED.

Thank you from a VERY disgruntled quicken customer base!

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply @gaugerfamily,

If you would like to try installing an earlier version of Quicken, you can do so by making a backup of your Quicken file, then following the instructions in this article.

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• JMattLyons
    JMattLyons Member ✭✭

@Quicken Kristina thank you for joining this conversation of some fairly disgruntled people, me being one of them. The communication on this NWM matter to date from Quicken has been poor (and even worse until now non-existent) from Quicken. We would be grateful for periodic updates first identifying the root cause and also demonstrating progress.

I agree with @gaugerfamily that Quicken should give users to opportunity to go back to a stable version prior to the to the update that appears to have caused the issue. It was working, then stopped right after that update. Folks at NWM probably have brokerage accounts that are not insubstantial in general terms or to the individual's holdings in particular, so this is a pretty big blind spot for users.

I am on Windows Version R58.9 Build 27.1.58.9

• irasend1
    irasend1 Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited August 26

Yes, please let us know if a previous version of Quicken will work. If it does, then this is clearly a Quicken/Intuit problem.

My suspicion, however, is that this has become a money issue between Quicken and NWM. As best as I can discern, this occurred at the beginning of August when NWM changed the software on their end to Pershing Inv. If you have been looking at their homepage and click on "Brokerage and Advisory" in the menu, you will see the new format. I suspect this caused the Intuit interface to fail. Likely Intuit wants payment to rework the interface, and NWM must decide whether it is worth it…ie. how many investors are involved, will investors more likely leave NWM over this or will they put up with manual entry or leave Quicken etc. Also, since Pershing already has an interface, why was that not included in the deal. I may be totally off base (I hope so). If I am perhaps someone with more information (Quicken support) will let us know.

• tmknaack
    tmknaack Quicken Windows Subscription Member

Very disappointed with the response from either party. I had an issue with connection of 5/3 bank for years before I got in contact with an assistant to the president of quicken. At that point I finally got resolution to my problem.

If enough users contact both parties maybe then we'll get someone high enough to address our concerns. Patience and resilience to work our way up to the right person.

• antdestra
    antdestra Member ✭✭

Join everyone here with being upset with both Quicken and Northwestern Mutual.

Question for Quicken- if we can't connect to our accounts and track as we please, what is the point of paying for your software? Why is this not a major priority based on the feedback you are seeing on this message board?

• aaciii
    aaciii Member ✭✭

I have had this issue since the end of last month - it's Northwestern's issue afaik. Other downloads work fine. Northwestern changed their back end. It's on Northwestern to address what's blocking Quicken connecting.

• bumgarb
    bumgarb Member ✭✭

I am now receiving this message within Quicken. It says the message is from NMIS, however, I'm sure Quicken could have added this to their own software.

• j58
    j58 Member ✭✭

Can someone at Quicken answer us???

• Paul Walker
    Paul Walker Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 30

[Removed - Speculation/No Soliciting]

• gaugerfamily

A RESPONSE FROM NORTHWESTERN MUTUAL

I just received a call from my NM Advisor. He reported that he received an internal communication from headquarters last night addressing this issue. Acccording to the communication, NM turned off the NM-Quicken account integration because they felt that Quicken's integration software did not meet the security standards that NM requires. He did not have a timeline for resolving this issue but indicated that he would follow-up with me next week. I shared my displeasure with not having an alternative plan for how this impacted NM customers using quicken. He indicated that headquarters delivered to him, the names of his customers that were using Quicken so that they could be contacted. I suggested that NM and Quicken revert back to the integration software that was in place about a year ago when they made the change to this new approach. I am happy to use TFA for my portfolio downloads if I can get this back sooner rather than later.

Contact your advisor and pressure them to bring back a workable solution quickly - we don't need technical elegance - we need an accurate and secure integration of data.

• I just spoke with Web Integration Tech Support at Northwestern Mutual. Apparently, this isn't just a Quicken connectivity issue, it's also H&R Block and a few other institutions. This leads them (and me) to believe the issue is on the Northwestern side, not Quicken. They are definitely aware of it and have been for several weeks now. They said they are working on a fix and thanked me for my patience. I just wanted to share this with the community. It has been reported to NM by many people besides me, and regarding multiple third-party institutions (including Quicken, H&R Block, etc.).

• irasend1
    edited August 30

For what it's worth, "We're working on it" is the tech version of "The check's in the mail". Again, my gut tells me that this is a money issue with NMIS. If you call them back, you may want to ask "What specifically are you doing to remedy this problem," and could you talk to the person who is working on this project.

If you look in their FAQs you will see this:

Why should I connect outside accounts here instead of using Mint or another financial app?

Connecting all of your accounts and assets to your Northwestern Mutual client account gives you a holistic view of your financial picture. It also shows how your account activity impacts your financial plan.

When you connect your accounts, you’ll get:

• A complete view of your financial picture, including your insurance coverage, which is a crucial element of your financial plan.
    • Real-time data gathering, which helps your Northwestern Mutual financial representative and their staff keep your plan up-to-date.
    • An ad-free experience — we won’t bother you with annoying advertisements.

• ChasHue
    ChasHue Member ✭✭
    edited August 31

Update. I have received a communication from my Northwestern Mutual contact which confirms NM had taken action to disable the ability to download data. This affects transaction updates between NM and Intuit/Turbo Tax, Quicken and H&R Block. It is stated this action was done to protect sensitive client data which could be compromised in the update process. It is further claimed they continue to work on the issue of connectivity with no target date in sight for a resolution.

• DinoSore
    DinoSore Member ✭✭
    edited August 31

I received a similar communication from my advisor. The fact that this also affects TurboTax and H&R Block software creates a major annoyance for those that download form 1099 information, especially if there are a lot of stock/mutual fund sales.

• irasend1

Seems odd that Intuit's security is adequate for most of the largest financial institutions on Earth, but not for NMIS.

• JMattLyons
    JMattLyons Member ✭✭

@Quicken Kristina may we please get an update? I think all of us have now gotten the talking points from our NMIS reps. (FWIW, @gaugerfamily and @ChasHue, I have the internal NMIS internal communication sent to each wealth adviser. They also received contact lists of all their clients that use Quicken and H&R Block so they could proactively reach out and send the same message to everyone.)

Either way, I do think Quicken owes us its position and what the parties are doing to address the situation. We have all been very patient. Thanks

• reidbone
    reidbone Member ✭✭

Pretty sure @Quicken Kristina is a bot and its not clear any of this dialog (since 8/1/2024) is actually going to a human.

• JMattLyons
    JMattLyons Member ✭✭
    edited September 13

@Quicken has just been terrible on this issue. I have a very bad taste as a result. Also for Northwestern Mutual. A big [Removed - Language] to some of each company's most loyal and engaged customers.

• aaciii
    aaciii Member ✭✭

It's on Northwestern. They changed their back end to Pershing's, with all sorts of single-sign-on stuff going on via a third-party (Okta), and the login to that from Quicken thru the NMIS website is a mess. Ideally, we would just use Pershing now rather than NMIS in the Quicken setup (need the credentials to be used from them however).

Here's the current messages from the Northwestern site - they list it as an OUTAGE on their own site, so they must be taking it seriously (why call attention to your own site having not just a problem but an OUTAGE).

• Dick Case
    Dick Case Quicken Windows Subscription Member

😡I would hope that two (or more) respected suppliers could agree to put User needed connectivity higher than it is on the "must fix" list. I could stop using the culprit, but I don't know who that is.