Market Value on the sidebar (Q Mac)

vacosta
vacosta Member ✭✭
edited August 5 in Investing (Mac)

Hi,

I have a Quicken Version 7.8.2.

Investment account. I would like to have on the sidebar the real Balance Amount and not the Market Value. How can I change that?

Thank you!

Valeria

Comments

• vacosta
    vacosta Member ✭✭

Yes, that is what I meant about Balance account.

1-Why when I chose "show Today's Balance in Sidebar" for that account, it shows me the "Market Value as of Today" and not the actual Balance of the account?

2- We have a difference of $100,000 between the Balance and the Market Value as of Today. That is exactly the amount of one transfer made a couple of months ago. Do you think that Maket Value as of Today is adding this amount to the balance ? if that is the case, is there a way to fix that, like not to consider transfer into the Market Value?

Thank you

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

@RickO said: If you change the sidebar to Projected Balance, one would expect it to reflect the effect of any future dated transactions that affect the Balance in investment accounts. This does not seem to be the case. It seems to ignore future cash transactions in the sidebar, instead always showing the Market Value as of Today (rather than knowable future Market Value). I consider this a bug or design flaw.

It don't think it's considered a bug, just something the program has never been built to do. But the developers have stated they will change this in the future, because they have marked a request for such functionality as "Planned":

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs

Yup, I said it sounded like a bug when it was first described. But the folks at Quicken, after verifying the behavior, said it "is currently working as designed, however, a change in the behavior of this feature to include future transactions is being considered." The developers often say that even if something is working in a way most would consider to be illogical, if the program wasn't designed to do something — if it wasn't in the specs given to the programmers to code — then it's not a bug. In other words, a "flawed design" is not a bug. 😉

In any case, my point in posting was to share that the developers are aware of this and have stated a bug fix implementation of this feature is "Planned". 😀

• vacosta
    vacosta Member ✭✭

We have invested on a security which is the SCHWAB VALUE ADVANTAGE MONEY INV a security that changes very little over time as it is a money market basically. Our balance on the account according to quicken is 212K which is correct. Yet the market value is being shown as 312K. This is not correct. Our market value is not 312K it is 212K. So question is why is that ?. Where is quicken getting the idea that this fund is worth 312K ?. Our theory (and this is why we are asking) is that we added money on this fund through a transfer about a year ago for 100K so it seems to us quicken is somehow looking at that transfer as if it was an increase in market value which is not the correct way of looking at it. Is that possibly the explanation for this big difference between balance and market value ?

Thanks in advance for your help

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @vacosta,

I went ahead and changed your post to an Idea so other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea by clicking the up arrow.

Ideas are also reviewed by our Development and Product teams in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs

@vacosta So you're saying the security is SWVXX, the Schwab money market fund, right? Well, Schwab (not Quicken) made a change two years ago to report this as Cash rather than as shares in a security, and I'm thinking it sounds like something related to that is at play. Perhaps you can clarify some of what you're shared so far…

Our balance on the account according to quicken is 212K which is correct.

Where are you seeing this correct $212K balance? When you click on this Schwab account in the left sidebar, and then select the Portfolio tab, is this where you're seeing the balance of the accountOn the Portfolio screen when you click on this Schwab account ? Is the money market fund the only holding in this account, or do you own other securities in this account.

Yet the market value is being shown as 312K.

Here, you're referring to the left sidebar amount?

In the Portfolio screen, is there a line for "Cash" above the Totals line? If yes, does it show the $100K difference you're describing?

Here's a screenshot of a dummy Schwab account, where the value in the left sidebar, the value in the upper right, and the value on the Totals line all match:

It would help us in helping you to understand which of these three values match, and which ones don't, in your Quicken file.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @vacosta,

Just to let you know, I have changed this thread back to a discussion as it seems as this is no longer regarding a requested feature.

Thanks!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• vacosta
    vacosta Member ✭✭

In our quicken the top right and the left sidebar match with 312K.

In the cash line there is 212K under market value.

In the total line there is 100K (under cost basic) and 312K under market value.

Hope this help you.

Thanks!

• jacobs

@vacosta I appreciate you trying to clarify, but I'm still not clear on what you're saying. Could you possibly capture and post a screenshot, blocking out any extraneous information you don't want to share?

So the upper right Market Value as of Today and the left sidebar agree on the $312K number, correct? But you're saying that value is incorrect, right? Your actual real-world account is only worth $212K?

You say the Cash line shows a market value of $212K, and the Total line under it shows a market value of $312k, right? So what else appears in the portfolio above the Cash line? (Again a picture might be more helpful that trying to describe it.)

• vacosta
    vacosta Member ✭✭

Picture below. You can see market value says 312K. But below it says cash is 212K. The 100K you see above it was the original transfer I used to create the account. I started it with 100K then I added another 100K for a total of 212K. But Somehow the market value is showing it as 312K. Our theory is that Quicken took the 100K transfer as if it somehow it should be added up to the total value in the account. We just got a paper copy of our balance on this account today and sure enough is says 212K not 312K. In any case this is clearly wrong. Is it clear to you now what the problem is. I don't think we can explain it in any more simpler terms. This is a CD type of fund. There is no market valuation that will make the 212K be seen as 312K.

Hopefully this is clear enough now.

Thanks

• jacobs

The picture is fuzzy, but I think I get the gist of it.

There's the $212,000+ which was transferred in and still shows it is cash and has not been invested in any security. You mentioned above that you put the cash in the Schwab Value Advantage Money Fund, SWVXX. Schwab shows money in that fund as Cash rather than showing it as a security in Quicken.

But you also have that line above cash, which is a security in the account. I can't read what it says, but I can see it doesn't say "Schwab Value Advantage". It shows a security in which your cost basis for 1,000 shares was $100,000, and it currently has a market value slightly less than $100,000. So this isn't a money market. So what is this?

You also made reference to a "CD type of fund", which is different than a money market fund.

So I'm sorry I'm still not clear on what you invested and hold.

Let's try turning to the Schwab statement you received. Does it show the entire $212,000+ held as a single security? Does it show any money in the SWVXX money market fund?

Then let's go back to Quicken and switch from the Portfolio screen to the Transactions tab. You should be able to see what's represented in Quicken pretty easily here. How many transfer transacitons are there? How about any Buy or Add Shares transactions?

So something isn't represented correctly in Quicken. (Ha, you already knew that much! 😉) I'm trying to understand how much money was transferred into the account, and how that one security shown in your screenshot was funded. It seems as if the security was created in Quicken without using up cash which had been transferred in. So if we step through this with answers to the questions above, I'm confident we can get to the bottom of what transaction is incorrect, and how to correct it.

• vacosta
    vacosta Member ✭✭

Dear sirs,

My husband is a former coder and BSEE. He said this is most obviously a bug.

How can it possibly be “work as intended” when I invested on a security where I buy shares of something that happens to be a money market fund. I put this in an investment account because that is exactly what it is. It is very frustrating as a former coder to hear the euphemism that this is working as designed but will be changed in the future. That is simply another way of saying it’s a bug. This is a defect and needs to be corrected sooner rather than later. Please don’t sugar code this.

I am signing off this whole dialogue I am sure may be useful to your development but has been a total waste of time for me and now I will need to fix this manually until you guys change the “planned” behavior so this security account doesn’t get tripped by something as basic as a money market investment fund

Singing off here. Not a happy customer right now.

• jacobs

@vacosta Lots of people agree with you. But Schwab — not Quicken — decided differently; they decided two years ago to report the SWVXX money market fund as Cash rather than as a security. I don't know what prompted this change; perhaps it's because on Schwab's monthly statements, they segregate money market funds and bank cash and report total cash holdings, separate from securities held. Whether you find this useful or not, your complaint is really with Schwab for their decision, not the Quicken development team. If Schwab reports to Quicken an amount for Cash which includes the value of your SWVXX money market fund, there's no way Quicken can determine how much of the Cash is actually the money market fund; Schwab just isn't providing that data in its downloads.

Since you appear not to have other holdings in this account, may I suggest a different alternative: disconnect this account from downloading from Schwab, and instead enter transactions in this account manually. Then you can enter the amount held in the SWVXX money market account as a security rather than cash. You'd likely just have one monthly Reinvest Dividend transaction to enter for the monthly dividend payment. I do this with my Schwab account (and I have more securities, and more transactions).