Income/expense report inconsistencies

nsmrb18
nsmrb18 Member ✭✭

I have noticed that when I produce Income/Expense by Category reports (example: a report with all income and expense by category, date range = last year, interval = month), some of the values in the table are wildly inaccurate.

However, when I produce a detailed view of a single cell by double-clicking on one of the incorrect values (example: double click on category = "Vacation" for interval 5/1/2023-5/31/2023), the detailed view shows the appropriate transactions and at the bottom shows the correct value for net total (which is not the same as the value represented in the summary table).

How could this discrepancy arise between the summary table and the detailed view for one of the cells? And how might I troubleshoot the summary table to show the correct values?

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @nsmrb18,

To help troubleshoot this issue, please provide more information. How are the values wildly incorrect (for example, are they showing a negative when the value should be positive, a completely wrong number, etc.)? Are you able to provide a screenshot of the wrong value on the summary and the correct transactions that it shows associated with that wrong value (please make sure to redact any personal information)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

I look forward to your reply!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• nsmrb18
    nsmrb18 Member ✭✭

Sure, and thanks in advance for the help.

The values in the income/expense summary table are either accurate (for maybe half of the cells) or wildly inaccurate (for the rest).

I'm attaching an example of wildly inaccurate. Take the income/expense for Utilities for February 2024. The summary table (screenshot 1) shows a value of (positive) $5,195, which is both the wrong sign and the wrong value. When I double-click on the cell to show the detail (screenshot 2), the individual transactions on the detail are correct and the net total of (negative) -$6,062.16 is also correct.

I have not changed any settings between the two screenshots - all I've done is double-click on the cell.

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

I can see that your report is giving you wildly inaccurate values, but I'm not able to replicate it in my Quicken. Is this happening in a saved report, a newly created report, or both? Do you have the Early Access features on or off (You can check that by going to Edit>Preferences>Early Access). Have you spoken with Quicken Support, by phone or chat, about this issue? If so, did you have the ticket number handy?

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, is this a report that you had previously saved and now opened? Or is it a default report that you opened?

If it was a previously saved report: Sometimes (not often) saved reports will get corrupted. I think, not sure, that this can happen when there is a new version update but the update process does not complete properly.

When this has happened to me, I have not found a way to fix that saved report. The only resolution has been to pull the default report, customize it as you wish, and then save that customized report to My Saved Reports. I usually use the same custom report name and let it overwrite the previously save report.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• nsmrb18
    nsmrb18 Member ✭✭

This is happening in newly created reports (Reports > Spending > Income and Expense by Category), not previously saved reports.

Early Access was enabled for both Reports & Graph Center and Customize Reports. I unchecked both, but the same problem persists.

I have not spoken with Quicken Support - I haven't had much luck with Support in the past, so I decided to try this forum first.

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for your reply,

It is possible this is being caused by file specific issues. To troubleshoot for that, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps. 

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate. 

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Please let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• nsmrb18
    nsmrb18 Member ✭✭

I tried both Validate and Super Validate and neither had any effect on the report discrepancy issue.

HOWEVER, I noticed upon closer inspection that the problem categories are all ones with subcategories.

So on a hunch I tried setting the summary report to display all subcategories (Customize > Advanced > Subcategories > Show all), and voila … now the summary report displays the correct values (albeit with all subcategories broken out).

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for the follow-up,

I'm glad to hear you got it to work properly, and thank you for sharing the solution!

If you need further assistance, please feel free to reach out!

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.