Modular design

MikeyD1047
MikeyD1047 Member ✭✭
edited September 29 in Installing and Updating

Afford the user the option to pick and choose what part of Quicken the user desires to use. For example, I don't have stock and bonds so I would not opt for that option. But I do use checking=/Saving and IRAs plus reports. Those would be my options.

Right now, Quicken is so bloated that it is slow to load and starts on an 11-generation Intell processor with 32 gigs of RAM and loaded form an SSD. Switching between pages takes at least 15 seconds.

This slowness is partially due to the unnecessary options of Quicken. Also, a 64-bit version would be sorely welcomed. I have been using Quicken since the late 80s and have watched it morph into a program that tries to do everything for everyone while compromising speed and program flow from options that many users do not want or use.

2 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Quicken Windows Subscription Moderator mod

Hello @MikeyD1047,

Thank you for coming to the Community to share your feedback! You may also find this related Idea interesting:

If it's something you'd like to see done, please add your vote. Ideas that get enough votes may be implemented in the future!

Thank you!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29

Is a large number of Memorized Payees slowing down Quicken?
    Has your Memorized Payee List grown too big?

How many Memorized Payee List entries do you have in your file? A couple hundred? Several thousands?
    Click Help in the Menu Bar. Shift+click About Quicken and it'll tell you in a File Information window.
    To trim the list and keep it in shape please do this:
    In Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill make sure you have a checkmark at
    [√] "Remove memorized payees not used in [xx] months"
    and set [xx] to something like "18". Do not set it to zero. IMHO, you should set the number to 12 or higher for best results, so that once-a-year payees don't vanish.
    Restart Quicken for the change to take effect and housekeeping to clean up the Memorized Payee List.
    Check the File Information box again to see the reduced count.

How well organized is your list of Payee Names?

When you start a new register transaction and want to select a Payee Name from the popup list, how well organized is this list?

Do you have a small number of payee names like "Starbucks" instead of something like "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU", i.e., a different Payee Name for every time you get a cup of coffee at Starbucks and pay with your debit card?
    Do you have hundreds, if not thousands of oddly named payees or do you have a short, easy to use list of payees, like Starbucks, McDonalds, Safeway, AT&T, etc.

Renaming Rules may help create a clean, concise list of Payee Names.
    As you download transactions, Quicken will be able to use these Renaming Rules to create new register transactions for you with proper payee names. Using the above example, a Renaming Rule to set Payee Name = "Starbucks" when transaction contains "starbu" would help keep the payee name lists clean and short.

There may be other reasons why your data file performs poorly, even on the fastest processor chip with lots of RAM.
    For example:

Slow Performance issue for Laptop users:

Is your laptop plugged in while you're working with Quicken or are you running on battery with power saving reduced performance settings?
    Check your Control Panel / Power Options. Make sure the selected Power Plan allows for best performance while plugged in and while on battery.

Here's some more info to look at regarding performance:

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I have my "trim" set to 4 months … but my Annual transactions are Scheduled … so that they remain.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Also in the Memorized Payee List I think entries where you have checked the Lock box do not expire.

QWin Premier subscription