Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.2.1 Released

Comments

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Robert B said:

I too am feeling taken advantage of.  Less than a year ago I purchased QM2016, it has never worked totally and now you offer a $10 discount to upgrade.  The term robbery comes to mind?

Not good to loyal customers
  • pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

After years of using QM2007 I purchased Quicken for Mac 2016, two days ago.  I knew Quicken 2017 was in the works but everything I read on the website indicated it would be released early next year.  I haven't even started using QM2016 and it is already out of date.  And you have the nerve to send me a notice that I can upgrade for another $70.  That's really no way to treat your customers.  At lease you could offer to give users who purchased QM2016 within the last month a BIG discount.

Nevermind the last month. Many of us had to work though all of the errors in the softwares
  • perry123
    perry123 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

After years of using QM2007 I purchased Quicken for Mac 2016, two days ago.  I knew Quicken 2017 was in the works but everything I read on the website indicated it would be released early next year.  I haven't even started using QM2016 and it is already out of date.  And you have the nerve to send me a notice that I can upgrade for another $70.  That's really no way to treat your customers.  At lease you could offer to give users who purchased QM2016 within the last month a BIG discount.

you should get a refund I think you have 60 days, there good at that,  Ive bought 2015  2016 and now I'm going to buy 217  thats over 200 dollars in 2 years sucks  but Ive still been using 2007 religiously since they use quicken bill pay  I hope this new one works  I don't mind paying 10 dollars a month its a great service and I can pay bills on the fly from everywhere if I forget, Hope this connects the same way as Im use to
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2018
    Can you track loans?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    No not at the present
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

No not at the present

Which question are you answering?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

No not at the present

Loan tracking
  • Elrond
    Elrond Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

No not at the present

Wow.  Three "new' versions and still no loan amoritization function?  $75?  They must be kidding.
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016

No not at the present

I agree.  The pricing is aggressive considering no major enhancements over QM 2016.  I suppose I will stick with QM 2016 or wait and see if Amazon heavily discounts the product.
  • Elrond
    Elrond Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

No not at the present

Agree; although I'll stick with QW in a VM.  I just can't do without the savings goals account function.
  • goletasue
    goletasue Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016

No not at the present

won't open.  Get dialog box asking "are you upgrading from Quicken 2016"  "Quits" immediately after I confirm that I want to use the file selected.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

No not at the present

Frankly I'm peeved, I have been a quicken mac customer for 20 years and stayed with the 2007 version until they promised to get their crap together and at least attempt to make a comparable product. I finally relented and purchased 2015 but the reporting stunk. Then they sold the company and we got all the glorious promises of a new start and with 2016 we will listen to the customers and implement the reporting and downloading we were all promised. Now, without fulfilling those promises, they want to peddle 2017 for another $65 while alledgedly telling us they have delivered on those promises in this brand new version. I want what I was promised initially and it should work or at least upgraded for free until it does. This is like buying a house 1 board at a time.
    TK
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

No not at the present

I purchased 2015 for Mac, and hated that  it did not have way too many of the 2007 or Mac features and functions, so continued to use 2007 for Mac.  I then purchased 2016 for Mac and could never get it to import my 2007 Mac file correctly  and so I have continued using 2007, as I could never get 2016 to reconcile with my data... And now I have to buy  new version (already paid over $150 for two products I could not use. ??? )  There should be a better discount available!!!   My QUESTION PLEASE -- before I buy yet another version ---  Does 2017 for Mac version properly and accurately  import from a 2007 for Mac file (which is large)?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2016

No not at the present

Oh Please! Don't buy 2017 if you already purchased '15 & '16 because they quite frankly owe you at least what we had in 2007. I run 2007 alongside 2016 currently because I don't like the way it handles a lot of transactions and I am working to get used to the glitchy interface. Luckily I have gotten use to a lot of the nuance's of the clunky transaction entries format. I have been running them side by side in order to build some trust but it is not there yet after 9 months. As far as transferring and importing data I have done that a lot with quicken since the early 90's and have always had some problems, but it depends on how far apart your account balances are, you usually have to change only about a dozen per 1000 entries. At least that was my experience. 2007 to 2015 is a complete disaster and I just threw that one in the shitcan but was able to make 2016 work pretty well with the new export and import data as described on their support page. Don't stop using 2007 until you are completely satisfied your balances always match. The problem with 2016 in reconciling this issue is the lousy report formats, It makes it difficult to pinpoint where the errors occurred in the transfer.  Good Luck, I've been where you are.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

Forecast in QM2017 is NOT like in QM2007. It does not allow you to select account of choice for starters and is not in a separate window but currently tied to the Bill Reminders tab. You will want to test it out to see if it meets your needs. 

It does not for me. It is one of my hold outs. I am still on QM2007. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Billy said:

Is Quicken 2017 going to be available to UK residents?

Like all other versions, it is only marketed to the US. You will have to find alternative ways to get it, or try the info here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-2015-mac-international-accounts

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I'd like to know if one of my annoyances with the Reconcile process has been fixed since Quicken 2015 for Mac, which I'm still using.  When I'm reconciling transactions, I hate how a split transaction pops open when trying to click (reconcile) the transaction.  I would like to just be able to go down the list and click on transactions without split transactions popping open.  I don't need to see how a split transaction is coded . . . I just want to check it and move on to the next transaction.  Does that make sense?

Vote for the feature for Expanding split transactions, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/expanding-split-transactions

Though it initially deals with the registers and reconciliation, it also addresses reports.

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of each one, your vote will NOT be counted!

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

I've purchased QMac 2017 at the reduced price - thank you - but haven't installed it yet.  Want to make sure I've got backups of QMac 2016 and its database backups on TimeMachine first.  Will Quicken Mac 2016 continue to work including investment & bank transaction downloads?

Spend the money wisely!

This part of Quicken has not changed.

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    The balances on the sidebar are no longer added by group as they were in QM 2016. I've got zeros wherever in QM 2016 I had the correct balance for the group. I checked all settings and the ones to show group and sub-group balances are switched on. See sidebar comparison for both 2017 and 2016 below:
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Zoolook said:

Can you track loans?

Yes it can be done. Tracking Loans in Quicken is still a very manual process for maintaining/applying the amortization schedule. Read this FAQ on how to set it up:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-faq-how-to-set-up-a-mortgage-loa...

Meanwhile, You can add your VOTE for the feature to Automate Loan Amortization, here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/loan-amortization-in-quicken-for-mac-2016

Be sure to click on the link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2016

Diane, simply contact Quicken Support and they'll get you Quicken 2017 at no cost. At the worst, you can get a refund for Quicken 2016 within 60 days of purchase, and then purchase 2017 -- but Support will typically cut out those extra steps and simply allow you to download 2017 once they verify your purchase of 2016 within the past 60 days.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I'm greatly disappointed in the latest report format. Quicken Marcus originally replied here that they were working on the Columnar report format because it was the "top requested item", as requested here: https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/in-quicken-2007-i-can-create-custom-reports-with... only to deliver a Year-Over-Year Comparison report format. NOT THE SAME!!!

Not a single one of my required features has yet been implemented since QM2015 was released in Sep 2014. This is one of my top hold outs before being able to move off of QM2007 (among several others).

You may want to add your VOTE for the Columnar Report format, at the link above.

Be sure to click on the link to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page to increase the count and therefore its visibility to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted!

• jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Robert B said:

I too am feeling taken advantage of.  Less than a year ago I purchased QM2016, it has never worked totally and now you offer a $10 discount to upgrade.  The term robbery comes to mind?

Robert, I've never liked this approach either, but Quicken has been very consistent in selling each annual release at full price for many years. Most users use a version for several years before upgrading, and Quicken provides updates and support for downloads for about 3 1/2 years after each annual release. If you purchase an upgrade every third year, the price isn't that bad. The problem with this model on the Mac side these days is that Quicken 2015, 2016 and now 2017 are very much works in progress, with a lot of new features being added over time, so it's harder to stick it out for three years between upgrades than it used to be with quicken 2007 and before, or Quicken Windows.

It's not much consolation, I know, but unless one of the new features specifically solves a major problem for you in using Quicken (e.g. you were waiting for Quicken Bill Pay), then Quicken 2017 today isn't that much different from Quicken 2016. There are some cosmetic changes, and there are some new comparison reports (that are still functionally raw), but not much more. Any bug fixes incorporated in Quicken 2017 will also be released for Quicken 2016 in the near future. Over the course of the next year, Quicken 2017 will get some additional new features, but for now, there may not be a compelling reason to upgrade for many Quicken 2016 users. 
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016

No not at the present

Clare, I'm still using my Quicken 2007. I've got more than 20 years of data in my data file, and Quicken 2016 successfully imports my data. I don't believe Quicken 2017 changes the import portion of the program. Keep in mind that you can always decide to buy the new version and if it doesn't work for you, get a refund within 60 days of purchase. Don't buy it until you know you'll have some time to work with it, and if you aren't satisfied, get a refund so you're not ending up paying for something your not satisfied with.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016

No not at the present

Clare, I'm still using my Quicken 2007. I've got more than 20 years of data in my data file, and Quicken 2016 successfully imports my data. I don't believe Quicken 2017 changes the import portion of the program. Keep in mind that you can always decide to buy the new version and if it doesn't work for you, get a refund within 60 days of purchase. Don't buy it until you know you'll have some time to work with it, and if you aren't satisfied, get a refund so you're not ending up paying for something your not satisfied with.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2017
    Sadly, the new look has lost its neutrality and consistency with the macOS interface.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2016
    Vladimir said:

Sadly, the new look has lost its neutrality and consistency with the macOS interface.

Yes, I agree with you. The developers seemed focused on making it cosmetically look closer to Quicken Windows -- I guess that's a good sign that lots of Windows users are switching? -- but they really veered off following Mac interface conventions that the larger number of longtime Mac suers would have preferred them to maintain. I'm not a fan of how the menu bar does completely different things if you click on the word Reports or the little triangle next to it.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2016

The balances on the sidebar are no longer added by group as they were in QM 2016. I've got zeros wherever in QM 2016 I had the correct balance for the group. I checked all settings and the ones to show group and sub-group balances are switched on. See sidebar comparison for both 2017 and 2016 below:

Somehow the totals appeared after exiting and re-starting Quicken Mac 2017... Problem solved!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

On the Quicken web site I can only purchase with a US address (I'm in Canada).

@Quicken Marcus Is this geographic restriction for Canadian buyers by Quicken's request? The restriction seems to be for the downloadable version as well as the CD version...odd  Please advise.

• pauldv172
    pauldv172 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Zoolook said:

Can you track loans?

Not having loan amortization in  a Financial software is like having a car without a steering wheel.
This discussion has been closed.