Add QuickMath functionality to Quicken for Mac (103 Legacy Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
Add QuickMath functionality like in Quicken Mac 2007 in all AMOUNT fields and the ribbon tape lines.

This allows using a single keyboard key (user defined) to apply a simple calculation to any amount being entered/edited, e.g apply sales tax, perform repeatable split, add/subtract a specific amount, etc.

I use this function very regularly and it saves a LOT of keystrokes.

For reference, this is what the Preference settings look like in QM2007:

Ideally, it should not be limited to just 10 settings, as there have been times where there is a need for more.

Be sure to click the little dark grey triangle under the VOTE count in the yellow banner below, so your vote will count (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
(If it is light gray, your vote has been registered). Your VOTE matters!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Tagged:
61 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. Quicken’s product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released. QMAC-19453

Comments

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I wholeheartedly agree.  Quick math is a great time saving feature in QM2007, and would be very helpful to have again in QM2016.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If I understand your request, I think we already have this feature.  Just hit the equal sign.  We also have a calculator icon next to the fields that support this feature.  I don't know if this is in every field but it's definitely in the register.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    While the equals sign allows entry into the cell and subsequent calculations, it's not quite what QuickMath was.  The function allowed under the preferences to select a particular key, i.e., to store a predefined calculation.  For instance, if I had designated the key 't' to multiply by 1.067 (for sales tax), I could enter a transaction cell, lets say for $10, then hit the 't' key and the $10 would be multiplied by that amount and replaced by the product.  I didn't have to do the math in the cell. I just had to hit the key that was preassigned.  That functionality could be used and applied to any row in a split or regular transaction and was very helpful for sales tax etc as smayer97 noted.  Does that help?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

If I understand your request, I think we already have this feature.  Just hit the equal sign.  We also have a calculator icon next to the fields that support this feature.  I don't know if this is in every field but it's definitely in the register.

What you are talking about is the Ribbon Tape....
    QuickMath goes beyond that as described by @hydrobiblio below.

That QuickMath functionality is available in QM2007 ANYWHERE you can enter amounts in the registers, scheduled transactions, etc.

If you are not familiar with it, take a look at it in QM2007. The QuickMath settings are under Preferences.

When this is implemented, I suggest that it not be limited to only 10 possibilities... rather make it so you can just add as many as a user needs. But 10 is a good start ;-)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
     I also highly recommend that you browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.
    To do that, I suggest you read this FAQ on how to filter the IDEAS to just show the ones for the Mac version, then VOTE to your heart's content:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-getsat-faq-how-to-filter-conversations-d...

The following are some of the many feature requests you will find: and many others.

Click on each link above, then be sure to scroll down each page, as some contain lists of related features. Then VOTE on EACH IDEA separately that you are interested in.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page of each feature, your vote will NOT be counted for THAT specific feature!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

While the equals sign allows entry into the cell and subsequent calculations, it's not quite what QuickMath was.  The function allowed under the preferences to select a particular key, i.e., to store a predefined calculation.  For instance, if I had designated the key 't' to multiply by 1.067 (for sales tax), I could enter a transaction cell, lets say for $10, then hit the 't' key and the $10 would be multiplied by that amount and replaced by the product.  I didn't have to do the math in the cell. I just had to hit the key that was preassigned.  That functionality could be used and applied to any row in a split or regular transaction and was very helpful for sales tax etc as smayer97 noted.  Does that help?

I believe this is called a Macro function with an assigned control + Key.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I strongly agree. I shop in several different communities with a different sales tax rate in every store. I used QuickMath constantly for the different rates. The Ribbon Tape only calculates in increments of 1%, so I have to pull out a separate calculator to find the sales tax for 9.25% or 9.5%. This is progress?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Please add the capacity to use shortcuts to add sales tax to a purchase. Old Quickens had this shortcut.

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Please add the capacity to use shortcuts to add sales tax to a purchase. Old Qui....
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    Just adding another my own perspective here, since Marcus indicated originally he didn't understand what we users were asking for, or why.

Quicken 2017 still lacks a feature that was present in legacy Mac versions called "QuickMath", which allowed each user to set up simple math calculations -- typically sales taxes -- and assign them to a single keystroke. In my case, I live in the Philadelphia area, so I sometimes pay Pennsylvania sales tax (6%), sometimes pay Philadelphia sales tax (8%), and sometimes pay New Jersey sales tax (6.875%). In Quicken 2007, I assign these rates to "t", "p", and "n", so when I'm doing a split and need to calculate the sales tax on each split line, I simply enter the cost and one letter; in Quicken 2017, it's a minimum of 6 keystrokes, or as many as 9, for each calculation I could accomplish in one keystroke before. Since I manually enter most of my transactions, and because I do a lot of transactions with splits and sales taxes, Quicken 2017 takes a LOT more keystrokes, and I make more errors. This is one of my major pain points with Quicken 2017. For that reason, I very much want the developers to add QuickMath -- or some similar functionality to define multiple sales taxes to apply with a single keystroke -- to Quicken 2017.

My hope is that because adding such a feature doesn't involve the core database or any back-end server services, and is mostly a user interface feature, it's something a developer could implement fairly quickly if it got approved for development.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2017
    now that my state is taking over all city sales tax (TPT) collections, this would be helpful when I file one tax report with rental sales tax in multiple cities with different rates but make one payment to the state. Makes end of year report details for tax preparation easier. I can imagine if your a property management company and have to keep track of numerous owners properties sales tax payments by cities, tax rates and property locations. I'm sure there must be something in Windows rental manager but no such animal for MAC.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

tom, no the ribbon tape is a general calculator and as such, you certainly multiply by 1.0925 without resorting to a separate calculator.**

That said, it's still a lot of keystrokes and Quick Math would be a welcome improvement.

**Edit: the ribbon tape does round off the display of the operand to 2 decimal places, but it does in fact use all the entered digits in the calculation. For example, if you have $100 in the field and type " * 1.095", the tape will display " x 1.10", but the result will be $109.50.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

Just adding another my own perspective here, since Marcus indicated originally he didn't understand what we users were asking for, or why.

Quicken 2017 still lacks a feature that was present in legacy Mac versions called "QuickMath", which allowed each user to set up simple math calculations -- typically sales taxes -- and assign them to a single keystroke. In my case, I live in the Philadelphia area, so I sometimes pay Pennsylvania sales tax (6%), sometimes pay Philadelphia sales tax (8%), and sometimes pay New Jersey sales tax (6.875%). In Quicken 2007, I assign these rates to "t", "p", and "n", so when I'm doing a split and need to calculate the sales tax on each split line, I simply enter the cost and one letter; in Quicken 2017, it's a minimum of 6 keystrokes, or as many as 9, for each calculation I could accomplish in one keystroke before. Since I manually enter most of my transactions, and because I do a lot of transactions with splits and sales taxes, Quicken 2017 takes a LOT more keystrokes, and I make more errors. This is one of my major pain points with Quicken 2017. For that reason, I very much want the developers to add QuickMath -- or some similar functionality to define multiple sales taxes to apply with a single keystroke -- to Quicken 2017.

My hope is that because adding such a feature doesn't involve the core database or any back-end server services, and is mostly a user interface feature, it's something a developer could implement fairly quickly if it got approved for development.

Agreed...and of course there are many other uses...
    For me, examples include the usefor other splits like distribution for tenants sharing utilities, splits for insurance claims (portion paid by insure vs me), and of course 3 different taxes in 2 different provinces...federal, provincial and combined taxes.

Saves LOTS of keystrokes AND improves accuracy in data entry.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I wholeheartedly agree.  Quick math is a great time saving feature in QM2007, and would be very helpful to have again in QM2016.  

This IDEA is part of the List of Requests for Data Entry and Usability Options and Features.
    You may want to click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

In QM 2017 the calculator icon does not work. It is graded out.
  • RickO
    edited November 2019

Try typing an equal sign when in the amount field. See if that works.
  • Charles Stillman
    Charles Stillman Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I just happened upon this discussion today. I'm not going past Quicken 2007 precisely because later versions lack QuickMath and other data entry shortcuts. I lasted about an hour trying out a later version. This is a shame.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

I just happened upon this discussion today. I'm not going past Quicken 2007 precisely because later versions lack QuickMath and other data entry shortcuts. I lasted about an hour trying out a later version. This is a shame.

Then be sure to add your vote at the top of this page. This will help make the transition easier for you when you are ready to upgrade by seeking to have the features you are used to in QM2007 end up in the latest version.

• jacobs
    edited November 2019

Charles, it's unfortunately the result of a too-small team of programmers needing to address dozens of needs users have been asking for. QuickMath falls in a bucket of making the program easier to use, while features like budgeting, reporting, and loans fall in a bucket of core personal finance functions. Hopefully, as they chip away at adding features on the wishlist, QuickMath will get attention before too long.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I understand your trying to do something to get the Quicken teams attention, but I think they are quite aware of what the users want as it has been stated over and over again, either they are listening or not and given it's now 10 years post QM2007 and the current version still falls way short of giving users the features that existed 10 years ago, it's not very encouraging.  I am not going to beg for each and every feature and I'm sure I am not alone. Sooner or later another company will swoop up this market.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

It is not simply matter of them knowing...they may or may not. That is one purpose for these IDEA threads.

The other factor is whether there is enough of a demand for them to invest the time.
    And given they have a limited amount of resources but a HUGE list of demands, it is about helping to influence the priority of the demands.

So, as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. 

Of course, this is only one factor in their decision-making process...others would certainly include how significant the investment to develop, the number of users impacted or benefiting from such a feature, the relative significance of this feature vs the many others that need attention. 

And keep in mind that it is a different story whether you are talking about a mature product that needs tweaks and adjustments vs a product that is relatively new and playing catch-up.

Again, these IDEA threads are here for those who want to voice their vote. People are free to vote, or not. So why not leave these threads for that purpose and related comments to support that?!

• jacobs
    edited November 2019

102_dar_70: If you scroll up near the top of this thread and read the third post, it's the product manager for Quicken Mac saying he thought they already had the feature we are asking for in the program. It was, in fact, necessary to explain that the calculator tape in Quicken 2017 is not the same as or as functional as the QuickMath feature from Quicken 2007. So threads like this serve to help explain the "what" and the "why" of what users are asking for, hopefully giving the developers a clear idea of things they actually may not fully understand from users' perspectives. 

You know from your participation here that they started over in building Quicken Mac a few years ago, that they're only part-way through a multi-year process of building out the features in this next-generation product, and that the small size of the programming team has meant that the addition of new features is happening more slowly than many of us would wish. And as smayer97 says, users voting on these different topics potentially helps give the development team a bit of a heat map to judge which features are more in demand than others. 

Now, I'm a bit skeptical that the very small number of people who vote on his forum provides enough valid market research to really guide the team in terms of priorities -- does an idea with 70 votes here versus another which has 35 really mean anything statistically significant about the needs of many thousand of Quicken users? I doubt it. But I do think the reasons *why*, or explanations of *how* users hope they will implement features, can provide useful color for the developers if they read the comments.
  • Charles Stillman
    Charles Stillman Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Good points.

Now for some historical perspective. When Quicken first appeared for the Apple II, I made decisions about products to include in our little user group store. I thought Quicken was simple-minded. That was in the early 80's. In about '99, Dollars and $ense, my favorite bookkeeping program was abandoned and I reluctantly adopted Quicken on the Mac. Over time it evolved, partly based on user feedback. It is ironic that many of the core features were not retained. I wonder if the new designers of Quicken were overly enamored of all the connectedness possibilities and lost sight of the basics. Too bad if so.

When I wrote office automation database software, I learned I got brought back to reality standing over my users and seeing first hand the flaws in my magnificent work. I became a hero when I paid attention to their frustrations and made the programming better.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

That's fine and I hope it helps  but everyone is entitled to their option. I do remember the first upgrade after QM2007 was "Essentials" somewhere around 2010 and that speaks for itself, it's just that significant time has passed and MAC was not a priority as Windows had the market share.  So the lack of concentration on the MAC version, budget constraints and small IT team is deliberate planning by the powers at be.  We may get a trickle improvement now and then but the concentration will remain on windows platform. Given the reviews and dissatisfied MAC users, I don't see any incentive for new MAC users, as they are increasing all the time, to jump on board to Quicken Financial.  I truly was hopping to see things change with the new ownership along with a fresh new outlook towards the programming, but it seems to be status quo.    
  • jacobs
    edited November 2019

Essentials wasn't an upgrade after Quicken 2007; it was a first attempt at starting over completely from scratch. A full-fledged Quicken Deluxe was supposed to follow, but the head of the Quicken division (the former head of Mint) left the company and development efforts fell apart. What happened over the next few years was a disaster for Mac users -- but it's irrelevant to today. It was a different management team, a different development team, and a different company. Intuit admitted it wasn't focused enough on developing Quicken when it announced Quicken would be sold off. Saying that what's happened over the past two years is status quo just doesn't make sense, since so much has changed. The pace of new features may be slower than we'd all like, but you only have to compare Quicken 2017 to Quicken 2015 to see that real progress is being made. If you thought that the pace of programming changes would somehow change overnight when Quicken became a separate company, though, that was an unrealistic expectation.
  • RickO
    edited November 2019

My perspective... I think we're lucky we still have a Quicken for Mac and that it's still being improved. True, it's not yet in parity with the Windows version, nor QM2007. But this could easily have gone the other way if the market was deemed insufficient and the Mac version abandoned. Where would we be then?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

And we are fortunate that they are willing to take this feedback in the form of requests for enhancements and votes. How many software vendors take this feedback and have it public? 

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I know Essentials was a rewrite that is old news (next version is considered an upgrade). The point is not how much we are aloud to vent our frustrations "publicly" (not really public by the way) and create a democratic system of voting for what is or was the most popular feature you used to have in QM2007.......it's that nothing has really changed for MAC and I have no unrealistic expectation, I have no expectation.
  • jacobs
    edited September 2018
    This thread was referenced in another recently, so I came back to re-read it. It continues to be, for me, one of the key ease-of-use features from Quicken 2007 that is still missing in the modern Quicken Mac. I wrote above, two years ago, how I use this and why it's such a pain for me not to have it in Quicken 2018. I've stuck with Quicken 2007 for a number of reasons, but little by little, the developers have worked to close the gap on features that are important to me, and once a few more Reports feature enhancements get implemented, I think I'd be ready to make the leap to Quicken 2018/2019 -- if they would only create some functionality similar to QuickMath!

If you're reading this and also want this functionality, please make sure you click the blue VOTE button at the top right of this page. Maybe if we break 100 votes, it will move up on the developers' roadmap. ;)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

This thread was referenced in another recently, so I came back to re-read it. It continues to be, for me, one of the key ease-of-use features from Quicken 2007 that is still missing in the modern Quicken Mac. I wrote above, two years ago, how I use this and why it's such a pain for me not to have it in Quicken 2018. I've stuck with Quicken 2007 for a number of reasons, but little by little, the developers have worked to close the gap on features that are important to me, and once a few more Reports feature enhancements get implemented, I think I'd be ready to make the leap to Quicken 2018/2019 -- if they would only create some functionality similar to QuickMath!

If you're reading this and also want this functionality, please make sure you click the blue VOTE button at the top right of this page. Maybe if we break 100 votes, it will move up on the developers' roadmap.

Hear, hear...    ;-)

• Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019

If you're reading this and also want this functionality, please make sure you click the blue VOTE button at the top right of this page. Maybe if we break 100 votes, it will move up on the developers' roadmap.

2 years later....and I sill wholeheartedly agree.  They've made big strides, but there is still progress to be made on things like this.