Portfolio report for Q Mac (119 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Investments
I like to go to meetings with my financial advisor with a printout of my investment portfolios. I have several accounts at different "brokerages" because of 401k, rollover IRA, etc. It is a pain to go to each web site and print a report, and they are not in the same format, etc. All I really want is the ability to print the Portfolio view of any or all of my accounts. By account, show security, symbol, current quote, cost basis, current value, gain/loss, etc.
49 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This Idea is partially implemented in the Subscription version of Quicken for Mac where the Portfolio view may be printed, however the ability to create, customize and save investment reports is not implemented. If you would like to ability to create and save custom investment reports, please continue to vote and comment on this Idea thread. Portion of the idea that is not yet implemented has been submitted for review 3 Sep 23 Update 10/10/23 - This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. Quicken’s product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released. CTP-7700

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I have this same issue and would like to see this report feature added to Quicken MAC!
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2018
    How about taking a screenshot of the porfolio view and printing that? Or just email the screenshot over to your Fi?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    I like to export my portfolio to Excel to do some additional analysis. It looks like I have to go back to Quicken for Windows to get that functionality.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the: You may want to click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted! Your VOTE matters!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ability to Print Portfolio Detailed Net Worth Including All Holdings.

Quicken 2007 Allowed users to print their entire portfolio value (net worth). You can view this information in Quicken 2017, but there apparently isn't a way to print it out or save it as a PDF. It would be very helpful if this ability were restored.
  • mar27
    mar27 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging 1.

Are you saying there is not a net worth report you can pringt or export to excel in Quicken 2017 for Mac?  I am still using Quicken 2007 for Mac but was hoping to buy the 2017 version with the current sale going on.   No use buying it if there is not a way to print or export a net worth report.  Thanks to all who can answer this as well as  the original question.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Ability to Print Portfolio Detailed Net Worth Including All Holdings.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merge 2.

If you use the drop down reports menu in Quicken 2017, it will give you a broad summary of your net worth, i.e. it will show how much you have invested in cash, savings, and investments - but nothing in detail.

If you look at the Investments View - which is not a report - you can see your overall portfolio value in detail that shows your holdings by type, each specific stock name or mutual fund name, the cost/basis, the current value, and the gain or loss. Unfortunately, unlike in Quicken 2007, you can't print this portfolio view. (I typically need more detail than the broad brush view.)

The work around is to do a screen capture (i.e. screen shot) and then print that document. The downside to this work around is that if your list is longer or wider than your computer screen, you have to take a few screen shots to print. In Quicken 2007 I believe I could hit "print" and the portfolio information would be printed or exported to PDF using however many pages were needed.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Ability to Print Portfolio Detailed Net Worth Including All Holdings.
  • Jeff Kantner
    Jeff Kantner Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Seriously?  There's no means to print a Holdings report in Q2017?  You gotta be kidding me.
    Yeah, I mean the view you see on the account screen under Holdings, or under the Investment Portfolio tab for an account.  Glad some mention it existing in the 2007 version, why I was flabbergasted to find today 2017 has no such capability. I was sure I'd seen it in the past.
    Kinda "counter-Intuitive".  C'mon, guys.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

Here is a short cut until QM incorporates these type of reports. In the Portfolio View check security, highlight the securities & associated columns, copy(cmd c) the content you want to print, open Numbers, paste (cmd v) . Then manipulate the data as you see fit, print.
  • Jeff Kantner
    Jeff Kantner Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Follow-up ... as usual, I've shot my mouth off a bit too soon. After further poking, I found there is a way to print from the Investment Portfolio screen.  Though it's hidden well enough it feels almost like an 'Easter egg'.  Use the Show filter to pick the accounts you want, the Customize buttons to choose the columns you want, expand the account headers to show the holdings, and then ... right-click on the word 'Show' (top left), click "Print this screen".  Gets your results to paper, or PDF, if you have a redirect-print-to-PDF utility, 
  • Jeff Kantner
    Jeff Kantner Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Neglected to note: running Q2017 on Windows 7
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017
    Ok, what I counseled is QM17
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

On the portfolio page, how about a simple CTRL-P?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

Control+P does not work. The "print" dialog in the drop down menu remains grayed out.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2017

Follow-up ... as usual, I've shot my mouth off a bit too soon. After further poking, I found there is a way to print from the Investment Portfolio screen.  Though it's hidden well enough it feels almost like an 'Easter egg'.  Use the Show filter to pick the accounts you want, the Customize buttons to choose the columns you want, expand the account headers to show the holdings, and then ... right-click on the word 'Show' (top left), click "Print this screen".  Gets your results to paper, or PDF, if you have a redirect-print-to-PDF utility, 

Just out of curiosity, are using Quicken for windows? I tried to follow your instructions on a Mac and was not able to find that sequence of steps to take.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

My comment was directed to Jeff, who is running Q Win.  I don't know what would work in QMac.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    It's really unacceptable that a basic print option is not included with the investments. At a minimum we should be able to export it to excel. I have used quicken for windows for over 10 years and when I switched to QMac 2015 I expected to see this feature added in a reasonable time. It shouldn't be difficult to add this feature. I've committed to using QMac Premier 2018 assuming that the improvements would continue after having suffered through the growing pains from QMac 2015 till now. I like how the program works but we really need the flexibility to export. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018
    Still waiting for the ability to print out reports from the investments area. When can we expect the Quicken Mac team to get serious with allowing those of us who use Quicken Mac to even do the simple task of exporting the information to Excel to address this issue. No reason that I can see that this simple request is taking so long to put in place. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2019

Ian, I'm not disagreeing with the need or your frustration; all I can say is that there are many, many "simple requests" users have had for the development team to tackle. Generally, they try not to invest time in part-way solutions -- say the export you're asking for here  -- that would be tossed aside when the full-fledged solution (a report with built-in export built in the new printing engine) is completed. But that means users are left waiting until each piece can be crossed off the list. Reports have been labeled the top priority for this year by the product manager, so there's some reason for hope -- but no joy until the developers deliver.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited March 2018

How about taking a screenshot of the porfolio view and printing that? Or just email the screenshot over to your Fi?

I have over 60 securities, so that spans about 4 or 5 screen "pages". Making copies and then aligning them together into a report is like some kind of kindergarten gluing exercise.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

This doesn't work for me, assuming I understand what you are explaining.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2020

That copy-and-paste trick worked in Quicken 2017, but does not work in Quicken 2018 because they revamped the user interface. there's more information now, but it can't be selected to copy and paste it. (You replied to a post from a year ago, when people we using Quicken 2017.) We know that improved reports are coming, so we can only wait and hope that one of the upcoming updates will feature a configurable portfolio report. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Well... Version 5.6.0 is a start, but seriously missed the point. All I want is to print pretty much what I see in the Portfolio View within the application. Instead, if I use the new Print or Export features, I get over 50 pages of stuff. All investments are "expanded" and all the columns do not appear on one page. So, the result does not meet my need of simply having a printout to reconcile to my brokerage statement, or to use during a conversation with my advisor. Seriously, what I need should be no more than 2 pages. I was so excited to see the Print feature added and am now very sad.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

How about EXPORT to Excel and then pick and choose what you need to print from there?

While it isn't ideal, at least it might get you what you need without printing 50 pages.  

At least the new update allows you to EXPORT and print...two options that were missing previously. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    I don’t understand why Quicken customers need to continue with developing work arounds for well over a year. This was , a feature that as part of Quicken 2007 and later removed from the software. Its a downgrade, not an upgrade.

Why isn’t Quicken developing a solution? This is one reason why I will not “upgrade” to the subscription version of Quicken. They need to improve the software and respond to customer needs.
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have one account with 2 holdings.  The print out is 4 pages with the expanded detail.  Exporting to CSV and importing into Excel is ok for this account.  However the full portfolio has 500 lines for 64 holdings.  Its workable.  I would prefer option to export detail or summary by security.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I agree! I have a total portfolio with less than 20 investments..I would like a simple summary report that shows investments, symbols, shares, market value, cost basis (Which most of us know has been available in the Windows version for years). I can see it on the screen just the way I need it but it prints to 160 pages because it expands to 20 plus years of activity. It’s useless...it’ll take longer to clean up an Excel export than to write the above info down. This feature definitely needs work...your patient supporters/users are running out of patience...
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

Here is work around for now. Download to CSV file and import into Excel. If you know how to sort or use filter function you can sort on the quote field.  Only the total lines have a value in quote.  All the blanks will be together and you can highlight and delete those. All that is left is the 20 investments.  This is not going to work for everyone but it is what I'll do for now.  Just glad to be able to get the data.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This IDEA has been partially implemented as per the 2018 Release Notes; in QM2018 v5.6, released May 2018, to print the Portfolio view. 

What has yet to be implemented is the following:If you have not, be sure to click VOTE at the top of this page to have the rest of this feature implemented.YOUR VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)