Add ability to add 1 or 2 Quicken IDs to Subscription for Security/Privacy (28 Legacy Votes)

Comments

• Quicken Kathryn
    edited October 2018
    Hi All,
    Thank you for your feedback--to set proper expectations, for the time being, this one Quicken ID to many files will not change, as this is the nature of the subscription product; we do hear your feedback, but right now I'm marking this as Not Planned.  It's possible we'll revisit this, but it won't change in the near future.

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Hi All,
    Thank you for your feedback--to set proper expectations, for the time being, this one Quicken ID to many files will not change, as this is the nature of the subscription product; we do hear your feedback, but right now I'm marking this as Not Planned.  It's possible we'll revisit this, but it won't change in the near future.

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Kathryn, I am turning off my subscription auto-renewal now. This is not an acceptable answer.

You’ve essentially broken basic behaviors from Quicken 2017. Quicken has supporting managing a houehold’s finances for decades without regard to data structure—I could have a single file for my family, or manage my and my partners finances in a separate file. If I had known this was the behavior prior to purchasing, I would not have “upgraded.”

Thanks for treating your customers like criminals.
  • pbug56
    pbug56 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    miklk said:

Up to a point I agree with the subscription model BUT Quicken is different in several ways. The main one is that it deals with finances which requires extra security.  They have opened up a giant security hole by the way they have implemented the subscription. If they were to fix the overlapping features any way they want, I can deal with the one QuickenID limit subscription.

I find the mobile exposing my data and requiring me to give login ID and passwords as unacceptable. Even though it is in my household, I do not want to give my passwords out and that should never be required.

You say people want to SYNC their files with the mobile app; I would say that is a feature of the software that they have been building up and I am NOT able to use it at all now! 

If I subscribe to Office or any other subscription, I am able to use all the features and keep our files separate. The other users has the software but not access to my password protected files. My email provider gives multiple emails for same reasons.

I had to turn cloud sync off just to get QWP working properly on one of the 2 PC's I use it on.
  • pbug56
    pbug56 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    ProGolfer said:

Isn't that the idea of a subscription product?

It's licensed to YOU.  And even though you can install it on as many computers as you'd like, and use as many Quicken data files as you'd like, it's still a one user subscription...and thus the ONE Quicken ID requirement.

EVERY other piece of software that I purchase a license for (Dropbox, Parallels, CleanMyMac...even Microsoft Office) is ONE user software.  And in the case of Parallels, CleanMyMac and Microsoft Office, they are also ONE computer per license. (MIcrosoft desktop version, not the subscription product---Mac AND Windows versions.)  

I think the restriction from a Quicken Inc standpoint is an important one.

It was way too easy in the past to download copies of Quicken and then distribute them.  You could unscrupulously hand out copies of the software to anyone you know...or even didn't know.  Counterfeit copies of Quicken were available all over the internet, including eBay.  All you had to do was burn a CD with the software on it or copy the download file to any media available and hand it out.   

By limiting the Quicken subscription to what's basically one user, Quicken will remove a lot of the illegal counterfeiting of it's software.  Sure, if you're best buddy wants a copy you can still give him the download...but you'll now have to give him YOUR Quicken ID too to match up with it.

Now, I know what everyone will be saying.  Well, my kids or my wife have their own data file...and they want to have access to their own credit score and sync their file with the mobile app.

And to that I would say...buy another subscription.  That's what subscriptions do.  It's one Quicken per one user.  

I have office 365 for a bit more money - and it allows 5 PC's, all of my phones, and a lot more functionality then personal editions of office ever had.  It's a good value.  Qwp subscription price might make sense for a couple years, not one.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    ProGolfer said:

It's licensed to YOU.  And even though you can install it on as many computers as you'd like, and use as many Quicken data files as you'd like, it's still a one user subscription...and thus the ONE Quicken ID requirement.

EVERY other piece of software that I purchase a license for (Dropbox, Parallels, CleanMyMac...even Microsoft Office) is ONE user software.  And in the case of Parallels, CleanMyMac and Microsoft Office, they are also ONE computer per license. (MIcrosoft desktop version, not the subscription product---Mac AND Windows versions.)  

It was way too easy in the past to download copies of Quicken and then distribute them.  You could unscrupulously hand out copies of the software to anyone you know...or even didn't know.  Counterfeit copies of Quicken were available all over the internet, including eBay.  All you had to do was burn a CD with the software on it or copy the download file to any media available and hand it out.   

By limiting the Quicken subscription to what's basically one user, Quicken will remove a lot of the illegal counterfeiting of it's software.  Sure, if you're best buddy wants a copy you can still give him the download...but you'll now have to give him YOUR Quicken ID too to match up with it.

Now, I know what everyone will be saying.  Well, my kids or my wife have their own data file...and they want to have access to their own credit score and sync their file with the mobile app.

And to that I would say...buy another subscription.  That's what subscriptions do.  It's one Quicken per one user.  

I suspect economies of scale are a factor.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Please elaborate as to what need you have that is not being met by one Quicken ID...

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

I've been using Quicken for at least 20 years. My partner and I have had separate Quicken files for 17 years, on both Windows and Mac versions. I'm the only user—I maintain the finances for our household. However, we've always had separate Intuit/Quicken IDs, since we wanted to see our stock portfolios online separately and use mobile services separately. Others have clearly identified other use cases above, such as another family member under their care.

Before purchasing Quicken 2018, I could sync to my mobile device and see just my transactions. And my partner could sync only her accounts.

Yesterday, before purchasing Quicken 2018, I was able to download transactions for both our files. I'm now getting an error that I can only download transactions for files associated with this Quicken ID. This isn't even using Quicken Bill Pay—I'm using Direct Connect.

More importantly, Quicken is removing something that's been possible for 10 or 15 years. I thought we were past that with the Intuit split.

I'm okay with the subscription model, even though it doubles what I pay for Quicken. But I'm not okay with this sudden change to how we can structure and manage our personal data files. It gives me zero confidence that Quicken won't make other changes to further restrict our use of the product and extract more money from us.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

smayer97: Read from the top of thread:

Even though you didn't really ask me, here are the main problems with the 1 QID 
    (It is not a subscription problem but the way it is currently implemented)

There is a very big security and privacy concern by many that other household users can see billing info, credit score, and most important: you cannot use mobile at all unless you want other household users to have read/write access to your data file?
    This is financial software and needs to be able to be used fully without these issues as people have been doing it for years..

Can you name any other financial software or website that actually encourages you to give your user name and password to another user...?

Many ways to fix this such as allow two or three IDs, offer a 2 or 3 ID subscription for increased cost, or fix the poor implementation of this by segregating data files by file password in mobile, store credit score and billing local . 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

@miklk Thx but I am aware of the issues and not arguing against them. Rather I was wanting Tom Parker to document his use case to identify if there were similar or different needs.

@Tom Parker thanks for clarifying.

• miklk
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Thanks
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Before purchasing Quicken 2018, I could sync to my mobile device and see just my transactions. And my partner could sync only her accounts.
    Tom, see my post on your other thread here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/multiple-quicken-ids?utm_source=notification&...
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Since Quicken locked the other thread, Rick, I’ll reply to your last comment here.

I won’t beat you up. I just fundamentally disagree with business models that assume your customers are all criminals. I’ve been buying Quicken for decades, so it’s pretty irritating.

The subscription right now seems a little bit too high. They previously forced upgrades by disabling online services after three years. Subscription pricing should have been equivalent to a 2-year upgrade cycle. Instead, they’ve forced you to pay annually for the software and don’t have the rate of improvement in the software to justify that.

Cloud services should have been decoupled from the QID. They could have prevented multiple copies of Quicken and limited access to Quicken Bill Pay without limiting access to mobile and Direct Connect.

The tiers are confusing. I bought Premier because it seemed like it was necessary to access online Bill Pay. I don’t use Quicken Bill Pay, just Direct Connect. But there is literally nothing else in Premier to justify an extra 50% cost.

Fundamental things are still missing. Support for ESPP, adjustable rate mortgages, and better matching interface on Mac. I didn’t mind when I could upgrade every two or three years. I had stopped looking for alternatives to Quicken. But now I’ll continue to look for something else.

I think these changes take loyal customers and turn them into people shopping for other solutions.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Tom,

Yeah, I guess some bad apples make it worse for the rest of the honest folks. But if this is what Quicken feels they need to do to stay in business, I think I'd rather they do it than go out of business. But I don't have inside info as to their revenue stream or finances. If it results in some portion of the user base switching to other products, I hope they've taken that into account. 

Comparing prices before and after subscriptions... I used to be able to purchase QM17- for around $50. Quicken Deluxe (the most comparable to QM17)  is selling at Staples for $65 for 2 years. So for biannual upgraders it's about a $7.50 per year extra cost. For annual upgraders, it's a pretty big savings. 

I think the tiers are spelled out pretty well, but you have to look in the right place and it may not be obvious where to look. If it's been less than 30 days since purchase, you can return Q-Premier and purchase Q-Deluxe instead.

And we certainly agree that there's tons of room for improvement to QMac and that the pace of improvement is frustrating. I'm hopeful that we'll see that pace increase over the next year. Hope I'm not wrong.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

@Tom Parker
    Not sure when you bought 2018, but if it is less than 30 days apply for a refund and purchase Deluxe. 

It will allow you to do bill pay via Quicken using your FI's bill pay system if they support it.

If you have done it that way in the past, it should still be applicable to the latest version.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Thanks! I’ll look into returning Premier. It sounds like I only need Deluxe if it supports Direct Connect.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Premier just gets you more investing reports and analysis, free Quicken Bill Pay and Priority Support.

• RickO
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Premier just gets you more investing reports and analysis
    Is that true for the Mac version? The only things added for Premier for Mac are QBP and Premium Support according to this chart:

https://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

Is there other info I'm missing?
  • Quicken Jeff
    Quicken Jeff Member, Employee admin
    edited September 2018

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

All Tiers support Direct Connect and Direct Connect Bill Pay (i.e. your bank's bill pay--assuming it offers Direct Connect Bill Pay). 

You do *not* need Premier to use Bill Pay.

Premier and above just includes a subscription Quicken Bill Pay (for those that don't have a bank that supports Direct Connect Bill pay).

This goes for Windows and Mac.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

@RickO I was speaking of Quicken for Windows only. 

My knowledge of what is in QM Premier is next to nothing.

• RickO
    edited November 2017

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Right, sorry, I forgot this was a Win/Mac thread.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017
    ProGolfer said:

Just put an optional second level password into the data files.  Then you will have the required security.  Why is this so complicated?  I have a $30 utility that does that and it's very easy to work with.  If you load a data file and don't enter the password, it's all blank.  Takes an extra 4 seconds to let go of the mouse and enter a simple password.

Whew!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2019

Hi All,

Thanks,
    Quicken Kathryn

Quicken Kathryn - This is NOT in any way the NATURE of a subscription product.  It is just your own mistaken understanding of customer needs.  You can easily add a password function to the data files. 

Think about it and make it "Planned". 

[removed - speculation/rant]
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    ProGolfer said:

@Frank Douglas

Your utility may work for the desktop file, but it can not restrict access to the Quicken Cloud Account data utilized by QMobile which is where mshiggins real concern is, I believe.

• RickO
    edited November 2017
    ProGolfer said:

@Frank Douglas... I agree in a sense. If Quicken would carry a password assigned to the desktop file over to the mobile app, then many of the concerns here would be resolved. As it stands now, you can restrict other users of the mobile app from seeing your data file only by keeping your QID password secret. But in that case, when their data file is selected on initial login to the mobile app, you have to be the one to log in for them.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2018
    I can understand Quicken's one id per subscription as it stands now.  Perhaps they could provide a "business" subscription that would be priced according to how many id's you could manage.  It isn't fair to Quicken (or any software maker) to provide software that potentially allows a business person to handle multiple id's (customers to the user) even if those id's belong to a family member, however, that doesn't say they couldn't provide different models at different pricing.  
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

I can understand Quicken's one id per subscription as it stands now.  Perhaps they could provide a "business" subscription that would be priced according to how many id's you could manage.  It isn't fair to Quicken (or any software maker) to provide software that potentially allows a business person to handle multiple id's (customers to the user) even if those id's belong to a family member, however, that doesn't say they couldn't provide different models at different pricing.  

That’s not a business. Tons of software companies figure this out. When I buy a car, I can use it however I want. When I buy Microsoft Office, I can type up a Word document for whomever I want.

I’ll just switch the owner of all the files I manage. But Quicken has moved back to being an unhappy customer who continues to look for better alternatives. I’m sure I’m not the only one.
  • miklk
    edited November 2017

I believe there are several options to fix this. The only option I see that doesn't work is the way they have it setup now.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2017

Right. They could only allow the free credit score on paid accounts. It could be another revenue stream, where you could purchase additional credit scores. Although even that seems short-sighted, as those are a gateway to additional revenue opportunities similar to Credit Karma.

Now, they see only my info, and can offer services only to me because they’ve tied this all to the subscription.
  • RickO
    edited November 2017

I think the credit score aspect is really a non-issue as many if not most credit card issuers now provide scores. Also, anyone can get their score for free from Discover Card:

https://www.creditscorecard.com/registration
  • miklk
    edited November 2017

I agree credit score is the least important but it still should not be exposed to others. The mobile exposing the actual transactions and accounts is a lot worse.