Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.6.x Released

Comments

• Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

Still watching for a correct to the traded options display.  The options cost basis on portfolio view is 100 times the entry in transaction view.  Transactions are entered cost per option.  After entry each option converts to 100 shares each.  The cost in transaction is adjusted.  However in portfolio the shares are multiplied by the option price. A $300 cost becomes $30,000 cost.  I don't enter options anymore until the contracts are closed or expire.  Disappointed again but appreciate the other improvements. 

I hid the portfolio value graph and can't reopen it. I cursor over the space where it is hidden and cursor changes to a line with a down arrow.  When I click and hold to drag down the security list to expose the graph it does not open the graph.  I did not hide the graph before the update so I don't know if this is update related.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Mike said:

Investments - y-axis starting at zero. I do not like it. Put it back the way it was or include an option for zero or lowest value.

Bank of America.  Do I have to set it up with 2 step authentication in Quicken?  I started off with just username and password initially and just switched to 2 step with the bank.  Is there something I have to change in quicken now.  Otherwise, I have to go through the steps of changing Username and Password to get to the code entry option.
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

Still watching for a correct to the traded options display.  The options cost basis on portfolio view is 100 times the entry in transaction view.  Transactions are entered cost per option.  After entry each option converts to 100 shares each.  The cost in transaction is adjusted.  However in portfolio the shares are multiplied by the option price. A $300 cost becomes $30,000 cost.  I don't enter options anymore until the contracts are closed or expire.  Disappointed again but appreciate the other improvements. 

Problem solved. I click and drag and wait before releasing mouse.  There is a delay in updating the graph.  Probably related to the number of transactions I have.  If I release too soon nothing happens.  Again I did not try this before this version.
  • DrGForce
    DrGForce Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    s2kdriver said:

Very nice printing improvements for the Portfolio view - thank you.  I particularly like the CSV export capability to format the report in Excel according to personal needs.  This is a good addition.

However, I am disappointed that two major issues still remain in the investments area:

1. Remove shares is still treated as a capital loss, and this negatively affects the Performance measurements (IRR, ROI) and the capital gains report.  From my perspective this is a major defect since Remove shares and Add shares is Quicken's recommended method to move shares between accounts, and is also the mechanism to handle security exchanges within an account.  This defect can turn a positively performing security and account into a loss position, and as a result the performance measurements for the account can go permanently negative because of this.  It makes IRR & ROI measurements permanently useless for that security and account, as well as impacting performance roll-ups at the Brokerage, Retirement, and Education investment category levels.

2. Adjusted Cost Base (or average cost) has not been added as a cost basis method for securities.  FIFO and LIFO are not valid cost basis methods for Canadian taxpayers. Other Canadian features in the product have been very good so far, but this remaining issue is a real limiter.  Unless you take extreme measures to manually calculate and implement an ACB method using the custom lots feature, the product does not report correct gain/loss amounts.  Canadian users typically have to calculate their cost base using other methods outside of the product (e.g. Excel).  This is a shame and removes value from the product for Canadian users.  I don't think I am alone in this request.

Perhaps there was insufficient time to deal with these issues in the 5.6 release.  I am still hopeful that Quicken will address these problems within a reasonable time as part of upcoming releases.

So is it possible to move investment transactions from one account to another? Like you can with cash transactions? This is a really useful feature when you consolidate investment accounts or roll a 401k into an IRA. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    dktenor said:

Sync with Quicken Mobile is changed
    I thought that the sync was broken.  All of the sudden my Cash account and one Savings account stopped appearing on Quicken Mobile.

In Mobile Preferences (on the desktop version) there is now a list of accounts to be synced over to Mobile.  Once I checked on my manual accounts (cash, savings account) - voila they all appeared.

Doug

I have the sync issue where some of my accounts are not showing up on the mobile version. I am coming from 5.5.7 and the accounts are checked in the desktop version.
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    s2kdriver said:

Very nice printing improvements for the Portfolio view - thank you.  I particularly like the CSV export capability to format the report in Excel according to personal needs.  This is a good addition.

However, I am disappointed that two major issues still remain in the investments area:

1. Remove shares is still treated as a capital loss, and this negatively affects the Performance measurements (IRR, ROI) and the capital gains report.  From my perspective this is a major defect since Remove shares and Add shares is Quicken's recommended method to move shares between accounts, and is also the mechanism to handle security exchanges within an account.  This defect can turn a positively performing security and account into a loss position, and as a result the performance measurements for the account can go permanently negative because of this.  It makes IRR & ROI measurements permanently useless for that security and account, as well as impacting performance roll-ups at the Brokerage, Retirement, and Education investment category levels.

2. Adjusted Cost Base (or average cost) has not been added as a cost basis method for securities.  FIFO and LIFO are not valid cost basis methods for Canadian taxpayers. Other Canadian features in the product have been very good so far, but this remaining issue is a real limiter.  Unless you take extreme measures to manually calculate and implement an ACB method using the custom lots feature, the product does not report correct gain/loss amounts.  Canadian users typically have to calculate their cost base using other methods outside of the product (e.g. Excel).  This is a shame and removes value from the product for Canadian users.  I don't think I am alone in this request.

Perhaps there was insufficient time to deal with these issues in the 5.6 release.  I am still hopeful that Quicken will address these problems within a reasonable time as part of upcoming releases.

I have moved securities from 401k to IRA.  As I remember, I transferred the holdings "in Kind" which is a transfer of the actual stock without selling it and rebuying.  Then when I downloaded data from both accounts I got placeholder transactions for ADD Shares and REMOVE Shares. I entered the cost basis and date acquired in the transaction. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

The report customization dialog has been simplified to have 2 basic settings: 1) Include any account, category, tag, or payee or 2) Include only selected accounts, categories, tags or payees. Previously it was not obvious what would happen if all accounts, categories, tags, or payees were selected.
    This is a vast improvement. However, we still need in the Tags section a *No Tag* item in the list. As it is, there is no way to filter for transactions that have either one specific tag OR are untagged.Just FYI, in case it gives you any ideas for how to tweak the dialogue box, this is how it looks in QM2007, where the 'All' button places a checkmark next to ALL the categories (tags, payees, etc as applicable), 'None' removes all the checkmarks, and of course there is the -No Category- (or -No tag-, etc) also shown at the top:

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

And here are the detailed release notes:

Improved application performance

In 5.6, we focused on improving app performance. Customers with years and years of investment transactions were the most impacted so we zeroed our efforts around investments, but everyone should benefit.

• NEW Drastically improved launch times for customers with lots of investment history. A lot of the slowness was downloading and storing quotes which has been significantly optimized.
    • NEW As part of this performance improvement, Quicken will now only download quotes for held securities, ignoring securities that are no longer owned. In the Securities list, we added a column, so you can see which securities are held. If you want to manage this yourself, you can turn this feature off and then a new column appears, so you can select which securities to update.
    • NEW Switching to the investment view is significantly faster but drawing the chart can still take some time. By the way, you can hide the chart by dragging up on the bar between the chart and the portfolio table which also improves the overall performance of these views.
    • NEW Switching from the Portfolio Value view to Performance view is a lot faster now.
    • NEW Switching between different Groups in the Portfolio View now immediately update.

Improved report usability and functionality
    • NEW The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report now display date range and customization settings in the upper right corner. This information also appears in printed and exported reports.
    • NEW The report customization dialog has been simplified to have 2 basic settings: 1) Include any account, category, tag, or payee or 2) Include only selected accounts, categories, tags or payees. Previously it was not obvious what would happen if all accounts, categories, tags, or payees were selected.
    • NEW As part of refining this experience, column selection for transaction reports has been moved to the report toolbar.
    • NEW The drill down report will now remember the columns chosen so that all future drill down reports will include the same columns.
    • FIXED The ComparisonSummary and Transaction reports created from New Report will now export foreign and other special characters to the CSV file.

Continued refinement of investment portfolio view
    • NEW The portfolio view can now be printed, exported to a CSV file, or copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.
    • NEW The portfolio view now remembers which securities have been expanded and collapsed.
    • NEW Added a way to expand all or collapse all securities. CTRL-click, or right-click, the portfolio view header to get to see these options.
    • NEW Securities without a cost basis will now display an Add Cost Basis button that will bring up the dialog to cost basis information.
    • NEW The number of shares column will now display more than 3 decimal places.
    • NEW The Y-Axis now always starts at zero.
    Better eBill support in Bills & Income
    • NEW Changed the way track flow works. First, Quicken asks whether you want to add an eBill or manual bill. Second, if creating an eBill, Quicken will allow you to enter any name to search for an eBiller vs forcing you to pick an existing payee. You'll link the eBill to the payee later in the process.
    • NEW Added an Add Payee option to the Payee screen.
    • NEW Added a column to the Payees list window to more easily select which payees should appear in the Bills & Income screen.
    General improvements across the product
    • NEW Improved transaction downloads. Previously, downloading from Direct Connect accounts would block you from doing anything else. Now Direct Connect works like Quicken Connect accounts in that you can continue to use Quicken while downloading is happening in the background.
    • NEW In the register, the name of the column being sorted will display more boldly in order to make it more obvious which column is being used to sort the register.
    • NEW Also in the register, we now always display the balance regardless of the column being sorted. When not sorted by Date or CLR, the balance column will have an italicized, dark gray color to let you know the balance won't match your statement.
    • NEW Updated the Column menu in the register to allow you to more easily hide and show columns. We also added a Reset to Default menu item to get back to the default for the current account.
    • FIXED Fixed a number of bugs and stability issues.
    Quicken Marcus already indicated it will be restored to the way it was. See down below in this same thread:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2018-v5-6-x-released?topic-reply...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

This suggests that the cursor position is not registered until after the graph is drawn... I believe this should be changed to capture that info without having to wait.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    s2kdriver said:

That is a reasonable work-around. That said, You can add your VOTE to Add Ability to Transfer Shares between Investment Accounts.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Doyle Slack
    Doyle Slack Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Who thinks that starting the investment chart ALWAYS at zero is a good idea???

I am trying to track the change in my portfolio over a time period - the old way let me see the delta very easily.   Now all I see is a nearly straight line.  This chart is now useless.

Please - either change it back or give me the option to choose.  
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    s2kdriver said:

No, I don't believe is it possible to move investment transactions from one account to another, like you can do with cash/credit transactions. 

Yes,  401K to IRA is definitely one situation when you need it.  Converting from IRA to Roth IRA is another or just consolidating accounts or changing brokerages. While Remove is in theory easy - there is the issue discussed above on how to treat the transaction for performance computations. And the ADD workaround can be hard/impossible, if these have been held for many years and there are a large number of dividends/capital gains distributions reinvested or otherwise. To get an accurate IRR this needs to be preserved. So while adding the cost basis and date acquired can be a reasonable work-around in some situations, it may not work in others.  

I know this is on the to-do list, I simply wanted to clarify the difficulty of the work-around so that it can be retained as a possible high-priority feature for future enhancements. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Who thinks that starting the investment chart ALWAYS at zero is a good idea???

I am trying to track the change in my portfolio over a time period - the old way let me see the delta very easily.   Now all I see is a nearly straight line.  This chart is now useless.

Please - either change it back or give me the option to choose.  

As pointed out several times in this thread already, Marcus has already indicated that this is being restored in the next update.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

No, the cursor position is registered well before the graph drawing is complete. But it is not immediate... a short pause before releasing the mouse button (perhaps 1 second) is needed and probably depends not the speed of the computer/disk, etc.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Marcus, as you continue to make enhancements to the reports selection UI, I want note one thing about the current UI that doesn't make sense. I select New Report, choose one of the three types (such as Transaction), choose a subtotal (such as Category), and then.... click Create Report. I then wait while Quicken creates a report which, I'd guess, is NOT what the user wants 90+% of the time; almost always, a trip to Customize is needed to select a desired date range and other filters. Instead of first creating the report and then having the user refine it and regenerate it, why not have the UI take the user directly to the Customize screen before generating the report? For a user who wants to change nothing, this adds a mere on additional click on the OK button; for users who want to set a date range and/or other filters, it's a faster path to getting the report they want. (And this change would be easy to program, as it's not changing any of the existing functionality.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    Marcus, another Reports UI comment: when I create a New Report, the first thing it asks me to do is name the report. That has always seemed odd to me, as I often generate Quicken reports on the fly and don't want to save or name them. If I don't type a name, Quicken names it for me: "Category Transaction 4" or similar, which is okay. But here's the real problem: the Customize dialog box has a checkbox for "Save as Custom Report" -- but every report a user generates is being saved from the instant it's created. My Reports menu is littered with quick one-time reports I don't need again, but haven't taken time to go back and delete. Why save every report, when there's already an option to Save as Custom Report for those reports a user wants to save? Why not allow reports created on the fly to be unnamed and unsaved, and require entry of a name only if and when a user wants to save the report?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

The report customization dialog has been simplified to have 2 basic settings: 1) Include any account, category, tag, or payee or 2) Include only selected accounts, categories, tags or payees. Previously it was not obvious what would happen if all accounts, categories, tags, or payees were selected.
    This is a vast improvement. However, we still need in the Tags section a *No Tag* item in the list. As it is, there is no way to filter for transactions that have either one specific tag OR are untagged.Marcus - thanks for acknowledging the need for an exclusion use case for tags.  Personally, I tag only specific transaction types with most of my transactions being untagged.  This leaves me with a mix of untagged and tagged transactions.  If I want to include untagged and most of the tagged transactions in a report (i.e. leave out one or more tags), I cannot accomplish this today in QM. Both older versions of Quicken and QWin handle this case by adding a <no-tags> or <untagged> element to the selection list.  It seems you are half way there by solving the category side (i.e. by including <uncategorized> in the category list).  It would be great if you could just complete the work for tags filtering using a similar approach.
  • Richard Haas
    Richard Haas Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 5.6 update cost basis.

After update of 5.6 Mac, Cost basis in some of my Mutual funds says "ADD" but the shares are correct and when I try to guessimate nothing changes.  It still says "ADD".
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled 5.6 update cost basis.

After update of 5.6 Mac, Cost basis in some of my Mutual funds says "ADD" but the shares are correct and when I try to guessimate nothing changes.  It still says "ADD".

Richard, you probably have a placeholder entry at the beginning of your transaction register.  This is automatically created to make the share count equal the download count, however the placeholder does not have a cost.  Therefore it is asking for an add.  Look for the placeholder all the way at the beginning and replace it with a new entry for same number of shares and appropriate cost. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Still backing up after 5.6 update?.

After the 5.6 update I no longer see the quick flash for the backup file when I quit. Has something changed? Is it so quick now I'm missing it, or has it stopped backing up?

Thanks very much.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Reduced file size of Quicken for Mac Premier 2018 Version 5.6.0 (Build 56.22351.1....

I updated to 5.6.0 yesterday and noticed that the size of my Quicken data file went down from about 162 MB to about 123 MB.  Why is the 5.6 file so much smaller?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled File Size Change after 5.6.

I did not see a change in my file size.

I'm just speculating, but sometimes older databases were kept within the Quicken file structure and may have been cleaned up in the update. If you have an older file to compare, you could examine to see if this is the reason.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Reduced file size of Quicken for Mac Premier 2018 Version 5.6.0 (Build 56.22351.1....
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled File size change after 5.6.

I did see my file size change also - from ~200MB to ~160MB.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Reduced file size of Quicken for Mac Premier 2018 Version 5.6.0 (Build 56.22351.1....
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    s2kdriver said:

Marcus - thanks for responding on these two issues (remove/add shares and ACB).  Quicken's engagement on these forums is what makes your customers both passionate and loyal.  It is a real differentiator vs. other products.  Please keep it up.

Regarding the Remove/Add shares problem, I see three issues with potential solutions for each:

1. A Remove Shares transaction today appears to be treated internally as a zero-dollar sale, likely to avoid the issue of dealing with cash balance changes.  This is incorrect as it generates a false capital loss with downstream consequences (wrong gain/loss reporting and incorrect IRR/ROI).  An alternative would be to treat remove shares internally as a two-part action: a) neutral sale(s) at the original cost bases of the security lots (i.e. so no artificial gain/loss is generated), and b) automatic removal of the cash associated with each of those synthetic lot sales.  This would give the correct underlying behaviour which you could eventually link with Add Shares transactions if you undertake Transfer Shares work in the future.  Note that Add Shares already has the infrastructure to properly set the date added to the account, the date originally acquired, and the original cost basis (by using one Add Shares transaction per transferred lot).

2. The second problem is how to handle IRR/ROI for the shares themselves (not the accounts). Ideally, the IRR/ROI for the shares should follow the shares, and take into account the full performance history for the lots retained and/or removed/added.  While this sounds complicated, the solution may be simple if we follow the approach detailed in part 1 above.  At a per-security level (not account), the IRR/ROI measure should consider only the share lots remaining in the account following a remove shares transaction.  If all share lots are removed, there will be no IRR/ROI to report for that security.  If there are lots remaining, only report on the IRR/ROI for those lots.  In the receiving account, the IRR/ROI at a per-security level (not account level) should use the information from the Add Shares transactions to calculate IRR/ROI for the full history of ownership for added lots since the original acquisition date and cost basis information is known (as well as quote data for the history).  The simplicity of this approach is you can treat per-security IRR/ROI calculations independently in the removed account and added account.  The calculations should not be linked and will work for Remove Share alone, Add Shares alone, or a combo of both.

3. The last problem is how to handle the IRR/ROI at the account, asset class, or type level (plus hierarchy roll-ups for "Investing, Brokerage, Retirement, Education") when there are Remove Shares and Add Shares transactions.  The correct approach (similar to what a brokerage firm would do) would be to calculate the IRR/ROI for the account based on the performance of all securities present up to the point of Remove Shares (i.e. based on the market value at the time of removal, equivalent to a sale at market value followed by removal of cash).  On the other side, a firm would begin to calculate performance of Added Shares starting at the point of addition (i.e. starting with the market value at the time of addition).  In others words, at the account level, historical performance is not carried forward between accounts, opposite to the treatment for individual shares.  This last issue concerns me, and perhaps would be in conflict with my points 1 and 2 above.  An alternative would be to consider removed shares to have never been associated with an account and to assign all account-level performance history to the new account (if present).  While not completely correct, this may be a simpler approach to implement and more consistent with points 1 & 2 above.  I am open to ideas and opinions here.

I hope my thoughts may be helpful in developing a solution to this problem.  I would be interested in hearing back from you as well as others on this forum for validation or improvement ideas.
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled File Size Change after 5.6.

I did not see a change in my file size.

I'm just speculating, but sometimes older databases were kept within the Quicken file structure and may have been cleaned up in the update. If you have an older file to compare, you could examine to see if this is the reason.

I noticed it today by looking at the auto-backup files.  5/10 pre-update file is 204.2MB and the post update is 170.8MB.  I also manually create backups as archives.  They reflect a similar reduction is size.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

It's the "immediate" part that is the issue. If there is a pause needed for Quicken to apply this info, I believe that should be addressed. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, as you continue to make enhancements to the reports selection UI, I want note one thing about the current UI that doesn't make sense. I select New Report, choose one of the three types (such as Transaction), choose a subtotal (such as Category), and then.... click Create Report. I then wait while Quicken creates a report which, I'd guess, is NOT what the user wants 90+% of the time; almost always, a trip to Customize is needed to select a desired date range and other filters. Instead of first creating the report and then having the user refine it and regenerate it, why not have the UI take the user directly to the Customize screen before generating the report? For a user who wants to change nothing, this adds a mere on additional click on the OK button; for users who want to set a date range and/or other filters, it's a faster path to getting the report they want. (And this change would be easy to program, as it's not changing any of the existing functionality.)

FULLY AGREE!

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Marcus, another Reports UI comment: when I create a New Report, the first thing it asks me to do is name the report. That has always seemed odd to me, as I often generate Quicken reports on the fly and don't want to save or name them. If I don't type a name, Quicken names it for me: "Category Transaction 4" or similar, which is okay. But here's the real problem: the Customize dialog box has a checkbox for "Save as Custom Report" -- but every report a user generates is being saved from the instant it's created. My Reports menu is littered with quick one-time reports I don't need again, but haven't taken time to go back and delete. Why save every report, when there's already an option to Save as Custom Report for those reports a user wants to save? Why not allow reports created on the fly to be unnamed and unsaved, and require entry of a name only if and when a user wants to save the report?

Again, FULLY AGREE!

Like pretty much ANY program, you create what you want THEN you save it, IF you want to keep it, not the other way around.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

And like most programs, you can have the safety net of asking the user to save the report if there are changes and it has not been saved.

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Still backing up after 5.6 update?.

After the 5.6 update I no longer see the quick flash for the backup file when I quit. Has something changed? Is it so quick now I'm missing it, or has it stopped backing up?

Thanks very much.

Maybe backing up is faster now (a much requested improvement). I see a little spin. You can check your backups to verify they are being generated. They are in your User> Library under Application Support. I find the quickest way to get there is to Command-Click on the Quicken icon at the top the Quicken Program. This reveals the path to "Quicken". Look in the Backups folder. They are all there by date. Don't forget that backups are not generated if you haven't made any changes or new downloads.
This discussion has been closed.