How to move Quicken 2018 to a new iMac.

Tony Way
Tony Way Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in File Conversion and Backup (Mac)
I purchased a new iMac and have installed Quicken 2018 on it. How do I move my files from my old Mac to the new one? Old Mac is also running the latest version of Quicken 2018. Tried the "Move to" and starting a new file, but didn't work. Quicken didn't recognize the file on iCloud.

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Hi @ Tony Way ,

You never move files. You create a Backup of your current Quicken Data File on the old Mac Computer, either to a Shared Folder that exists on the New Mac Computer or to an USB thumb drive.

Them simply Restore the Backup to the New Quicken Setup.

I run Windows, so can't give you, step by step.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Tony Way
    Tony Way Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    That doesn't work. It refuses to accept the new backup.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tony Way said:

That doesn't work. It refuses to accept the new backup.

On both Macs, what version of  Q is installed?
    And, step by step,  how are you creating that backup on the old machine, and how are you attempting to restore on the new? 

At what point is the backup "refused" ... and what's the exact message produced?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    BTW, it is NOT necessary to use a backup to move a QMac data file. SImple drop and will suffice via network or USB key. Not sure why you are having trouble with iCloud though. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Tony Way
    Tony Way Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    In reply to both above.  Both Macs are running "Quicken Deluxe 2018" Version 5.5.7.

I created a backup file to a USB stick.  Also did a 'Move to' file to USB stick.

First tried creating a New file from the USB, while converting the file, this message came back:

The document "daways money 2.quicken" could not be opened.

"daways money 2.quicken" was last opened on Friday, October 16, 2015 by Quicken 2015 2.0.3.

Choose Quicken > Check for Updates to make sure you have the latest version of Quicken.  You are currently using version 5.5.7.

Then tried restoring from backup.  Right after it asked are you sure you want to restore the backup file and I chose where I wanted it, got the same message as before.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Tony Way said:

In reply to both above.  Both Macs are running "Quicken Deluxe 2018" Version 5.5.7.

I created a backup file to a USB stick.  Also did a 'Move to' file to USB stick.

First tried creating a New file from the USB, while converting the file, this message came back:

The document "daways money 2.quicken" could not be opened.

"daways money 2.quicken" was last opened on Friday, October 16, 2015 by Quicken 2015 2.0.3.

Choose Quicken > Check for Updates to make sure you have the latest version of Quicken.  You are currently using version 5.5.7.

Then tried restoring from backup.  Right after it asked are you sure you want to restore the backup file and I chose where I wanted it, got the same message as before.

The "backup" file was last opened in 2015?  Doesn't that sound some alarm bells for you?

Seems like that's not the backup file you need...as Quicken will only be able to restore files with the same version and revision.  

Suggest you look again for the Quicken Mac data file (the one LAST OPENED), select in Finder, Compress the file by right clicking on the file name and move to a USB drive, then copy from the USB to your new iMac in the Documents folder and then double click the zipped compressed file to uncompress it. 

Open Quicken Mac 2018 and OPEN the file, pointing to your Documents folder and finding the correct Quicken Mac data file.  
  • Tony Way
    Tony Way Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I did open the exact file I'm using with the latest update.  But I get this stupid message.  You will notice that the last of the message says I am currently using version 5.5.7, which is the latest version of 2018.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Tony Way said:

I did open the exact file I'm using with the latest update.  But I get this stupid message.  You will notice that the last of the message says I am currently using version 5.5.7, which is the latest version of 2018.

Yes, but your backup file you're trying to move states it hasn't been opened since 2015, was last opened using Quicken 2015 2.0.3.

Quicken 2018 won't read Quicken 2015 data files.  

You have the wrong file.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Tony Way said:

Here's a simplified easier way to make sure you have the correct data file.

In your old Mac, FILE > Save a Backup and save to your Desktop.

Highlight the backup data file on your Desktop (do not open it), right click and select Compress "xxx.quicken2018".

Move the compressed file to your USB.

With your new iMac, move the compressed file from your USB to the Documents folder.  Double click on the compressed file.

Open Quicken 2018 on your iMac.  Then File > Open and point Quicken to the Documents folder where you'll find your data file (DO NOT USE THE COMPRESSED FILE NAME). 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tony Way said:

Quicken 2018 won't read Quicken 2015 data files.  
    That is incorrect. It will...Just once you open it with QM2018, QM2015 will not be able to open it again.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Tony Way said:

One note about Jerry's suggestion to put the Quicken data file in your Documents folder. You should either make sure you are NOT allowing your Documents folder to be stored on iCloud, or you should find a different location for your Quicken data file. (I prefer storing my stuff, including my Quicken data file, in my Documents folder; to make sure iCloud isn't involved, go to System Preferences > iCloud > iCloud drive Options > Un-check the box next to "Desktop & Documents Folders".)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Tony Way
    Tony Way Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Okay, turned off iCloud on both devices. On old Mac created a backup, zipped it and moved to USB. On new Mac loaded zipped file to Desktop and unzipped. Told Quicken to open the unzipped file and GOT THE SAME MESSAGE AS ABOVE. 

I don't have a clue now. Guess I'll spend hours on the phone with support today.
  • Tony Way
    Tony Way Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Called Quicken Support. The solution was so simple, I was embarrassed. 

All you have to do is open the file you want to move on the old computer, do
    File > Export > Quicken Windows Transfer File (QXF)
    Save it to either Dropbox or iCloud.
    Go to the new computer, copy the QXF file and paste to Desktop.
    In Quicken do
    File > Import > Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF)
    Select the QXF File on Desktop and Quicken does the rest.
    Then all you have left to do is Setup Automatic Downloads.

Thank you to all who tried to help. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Tony Way said:

Called Quicken Support. The solution was so simple, I was embarrassed. 

All you have to do is open the file you want to move on the old computer, do
    File > Export > Quicken Windows Transfer File (QXF)
    Save it to either Dropbox or iCloud.
    Go to the new computer, copy the QXF file and paste to Desktop.
    In Quicken do
    File > Import > Quicken Windows File (QDF, QXF)
    Select the QXF File on Desktop and Quicken does the rest.
    Then all you have left to do is Setup Automatic Downloads.

Thank you to all who tried to help. 

Glad that worked for you but there is still a mystery as to WHY you needed to do that. 

For anyone reading this, that is NOT the typical way to do this, and is only a last resort. The reason is because MANY things are lost in the process, such as, memorized transactions, saved reports, budgets, connection settings, and more.

Meanwhile, You can add your VOTE to Add Ability to Select Content of QXF File for Export.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data and File Management Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

This discussion has been closed.