Quicken for Mac 2018 v5.6.x Released

Comments

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Richard, this is a longstanding issue with Quicken for Mac. It's not a function of processor speed or RAM, although a faster Mac will open a bit faster.

Product manager Marcus posted that they did some optimization in the latest update, version 5.6. (If you still have version 5.5.7, expect to see a notice of an upgrade to version 5.6.1 sometime next week, unless they find users are encountering problems wth this update.) The good news is that they are aware this is a problem. The bad news is that the improvements they made are only a small step forward. Marcus said in the release notes to expect a modest decrease in launch time:

We’ve been focused on performance improvements throughout the product. First, we looked at launch times.  Quicken would take a while to launch if you had a file with lots of historical investment data.  You should see an improvement from 30% to 50%.  As part of this, we will also start to just download quotes for the securities you hold and not every security you’ve ever held.
    In my case, the launch time dropped from about 45 seconds to about 35. Progress, but not very satisfactory. you've likely noticed that after this long launch time, if you quit Quicken and re-open it, the launch happens very quickly -- about 5 seconds in my case. The long launch delay has to do with Quicken going out to download security quotes and taking a long time to do it. I do not understand what it needs to load upon each first launch of the day that takes so long. (I also don't understand why they have stubbornly refused to put up a splash screen or progress dialog box, which I've lobbied for since back when Quicken 2015 was first in beta testing.)

My first suggestion for you is to check what version you have, and it it is not 5.6, wait until you get the next update to see how much it cuts your launch time. then, use the Report a Problem option on the Help menu to report that the launch speed is still intolerably slow and needs to be improved. If they hear from a lot of users about this, there's more chance it gets the attention of the development team. (You can also post a similar comment in this thread about Quicken 5.6.x, Marcus generally ready the comments in these release threads for the first week or so after each new release.)

I don't really recommend what @raleedy suggests to leave Quicken running all the time. First, you miss out on Quicken doing automatic backups when you quit; those backups can be a lifesaver when something inevitably goes wrong. Second, although the chances are probably pretty small, I think there's more risk of something going wrong with Quicken if it crashes (for instance, a power failure) while it's been left open and running. I try to remember to launch Quicken as I'm first sitting down at my desk to do work; then I clear the paper son the desk and get ready to work in Quicken, and often Quicken is up and running by the time I'm ready to go. (But sometimes I sit down and want to use Quicken immediately, and I curse its slow launch every time!)Katherine, saving transactions is typically very fast so something else is going on.  Do you have any other windows open like the Portfolio View with the chart?  Are you running out of hard drive space?  I personally am not aware of an issue with transaction saving. 

jacobs, in 5.7 we'll be popping up a little dialog that tells you Quicken is starting so you at least know that the app has launched.  It serves the same purpose as a splash screen.  Also, when you relaunch I think the OS cache's the app so it launches faster.  I don't think Quicken Mac is doing anything special.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

5.6.1 Quick find/report in investments not working for security names.
    Right click on a transaction and at popup menu appears with both find and report options.  The options to report on the security name does not display any results.  However if the name is "payee" as in payment/deposit type transaction the find/report functions work fine.  

The find option will fill the search box upper right with the security name but no results will display until you click the drop down on the search box and select "all visible columns" or "security/payee".  If the transaction type is payment/deposit then the find option immediately displays results for the payee.

However if you type a security name in the search box there are immediate results as you type.

I'd vote to disable for now, fix after the more important stuff.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

Right click on a transaction and at popup menu appears with both find and report options.  The options to report on the security name does not display any results.  However if the name is "payee" as in payment/deposit type transaction the find/report functions work fine.  

The find option will fill the search box upper right with the security name but no results will display until you click the drop down on the search box and select "all visible columns" or "security/payee".  If the transaction type is payment/deposit then the find option immediately displays results for the payee.

However if you type a security name in the search box there are immediate results as you type.

Agree with RickO, Fix after the more important stuff is running properly
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

It is not high priority for me.  
     One observation about the find box.  It works relatively fast displaying as I type.  But unlike common search boxes you must be exact.  For example if you were trying to find all transactions with CALL and TEVA.  You can't just type both words. CALL TEVA will not bring up entries written as TEVA CALL.  The first character typed that is not in sequence in the item drops results.  It is not a big issue. If you have a long word like pharmaceutical in multiple securities.  You type "pharma" and you get all of them. Next you type a space "pharma " and you get none of them.  If you get back to this, you might consider the find function also. 
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

Richard, this is a longstanding issue with Quicken for Mac. It's not a function of processor speed or RAM, although a faster Mac will open a bit faster.

Product manager Marcus posted that they did some optimization in the latest update, version 5.6. (If you still have version 5.5.7, expect to see a notice of an upgrade to version 5.6.1 sometime next week, unless they find users are encountering problems wth this update.) The good news is that they are aware this is a problem. The bad news is that the improvements they made are only a small step forward. Marcus said in the release notes to expect a modest decrease in launch time:

We’ve been focused on performance improvements throughout the product. First, we looked at launch times.  Quicken would take a while to launch if you had a file with lots of historical investment data.  You should see an improvement from 30% to 50%.  As part of this, we will also start to just download quotes for the securities you hold and not every security you’ve ever held.
    In my case, the launch time dropped from about 45 seconds to about 35. Progress, but not very satisfactory. you've likely noticed that after this long launch time, if you quit Quicken and re-open it, the launch happens very quickly -- about 5 seconds in my case. The long launch delay has to do with Quicken going out to download security quotes and taking a long time to do it. I do not understand what it needs to load upon each first launch of the day that takes so long. (I also don't understand why they have stubbornly refused to put up a splash screen or progress dialog box, which I've lobbied for since back when Quicken 2015 was first in beta testing.)

My first suggestion for you is to check what version you have, and it it is not 5.6, wait until you get the next update to see how much it cuts your launch time. then, use the Report a Problem option on the Help menu to report that the launch speed is still intolerably slow and needs to be improved. If they hear from a lot of users about this, there's more chance it gets the attention of the development team. (You can also post a similar comment in this thread about Quicken 5.6.x, Marcus generally ready the comments in these release threads for the first week or so after each new release.)

I don't really recommend what @raleedy suggests to leave Quicken running all the time. First, you miss out on Quicken doing automatic backups when you quit; those backups can be a lifesaver when something inevitably goes wrong. Second, although the chances are probably pretty small, I think there's more risk of something going wrong with Quicken if it crashes (for instance, a power failure) while it's been left open and running. I try to remember to launch Quicken as I'm first sitting down at my desk to do work; then I clear the paper son the desk and get ready to work in Quicken, and often Quicken is up and running by the time I'm ready to go. (But sometimes I sit down and want to use Quicken immediately, and I curse its slow launch every time!)Marcus, I'm confused by your comment just above. You seem to be saying that the time we're waiting for Quicken to launch is just the time it takes Quicken to launch -- unless it was launched recently and was cached by the OS, enabling it to launch in a fraction of the time? But if that's the case, why do people report such widely varying launch times? Does it make sense that Quicken takes 30 seconds for some users, as much as 2 minutes for other users, and it's just the time it takes Quicken to load irrespective of the size/number or transactions in the data file?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

I don't really recommend what @raleedy suggests to leave Quicken running all the time. First, you miss out on Quicken doing automatic backups when you quit; those backups can be a lifesaver when something inevitably goes wrong. Second, although the chances are probably pretty small, I think there's more risk of something going wrong with Quicken if it crashes (for instance, a power failure) while it's been left open and running. I try to remember to launch Quicken as I'm first sitting down at my desk to do work; then I clear the paper son the desk and get ready to work in Quicken, and often Quicken is up and running by the time I'm ready to go. (But sometimes I sit down and want to use Quicken immediately, and I curse its slow launch every time!)I suspect a large part of the spectrum is due to HDD vs SSD, and of course file size.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Mike Lane
    Mike Lane Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    jacobs said:

I don't really recommend what @raleedy suggests to leave Quicken running all the time. First, you miss out on Quicken doing automatic backups when you quit; those backups can be a lifesaver when something inevitably goes wrong. Second, although the chances are probably pretty small, I think there's more risk of something going wrong with Quicken if it crashes (for instance, a power failure) while it's been left open and running. I try to remember to launch Quicken as I'm first sitting down at my desk to do work; then I clear the paper son the desk and get ready to work in Quicken, and often Quicken is up and running by the time I'm ready to go. (But sometimes I sit down and want to use Quicken immediately, and I curse its slow launch every time!)Just for comparison to open QMac 5.6.1:  After cold machine boot this morning, it took 11 sec to load the Q password window then 4 sec after password to open Q. - No beachball -No spinning update circle.
     Macbook is 2013, 2.3GHz, 16GB, Flash drive 500GB w/327GB free, OS 10.13.4.  Background operations open are WiFi, Dropbox, WD MyCloud sync, Adobe services, and Sophos antivirus.  Q file size 171mb.  69 active investment securities with preference to auto download quotes on.  The time from Q Password login to open Q is 4 sec.
    I shut down Q, opened Excel, Word, Mail, Safari - restart Q- 5 sec to pw window, 4 sec to load after entering PW.  Difference 6 sec faster on restart to PW window. 

Besides drive space and type - there could be a hog running in the background.  I suggest looking at the activity monitor for clues.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Just downloaded 5.6.1 this AM. have been using 5.5.7 until today. Banking & Credit Card info all good,  investment data not so good. On bond &  mutual fund accounts missing cost basis info on many securities. The cost basis column now shows the add cost hyperlink. Tried to restore previous 5.5.7 file, did not solve the issue. Got on with Quicken support very nice fellow , very supportive, understood & agreed with what transpired.  He generated a case # & elevated this to tier 2 support. Have retreated back to the safety of 5.5.7 until this is resolved.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    dktenor said:

Sync with Quicken Mobile is changed
    I thought that the sync was broken.  All of the sudden my Cash account and one Savings account stopped appearing on Quicken Mobile.

In Mobile Preferences (on the desktop version) there is now a list of accounts to be synced over to Mobile.  Once I checked on my manual accounts (cash, savings account) - voila they all appeared.

Doug

Similar issue here.  After upgrading from 5.5.7 to 5.6.1 several of my accounts including my daily use credit card disappeared from the mobile app.  On the desktop app I went into Preferences and Mobile and Alerts.  In the accounts section several of my accounts were now unchecked for Sync when all of my accounts were synced before upgrading from 5.5.7 to 5.6.1.  I clicked the All button to enable them followed by the Update button.  All of my accounts are now appearing again in the mobile app, but I have lost all of the transactions I created in the mobile app for these accounts since the last time I downloaded them in the desktop app on May 11th.  Is there any way to recover these transactions?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018

Did I read too quickly that foreign currencies export had also been fixed ?
    It does not seem to be the case yet. (But foreign characters are indeed ! Thanks !)

Excel 16.13.1:

QM 5.6.1:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Did I read too quickly that foreign currencies export had also been fixed ?
    It does not seem to be the case yet. (But foreign characters are indeed ! Thanks !)

Excel 16.13.1:

QM 5.6.1:

the key word is "characters", not currencies...   ;-)

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Since upgrading to the new model, the syncing process is a mess!  I have duplicate entries and missing entries and no activity on accounts.  Every time I sync I get an error box saying "An Error occurred during your online banking update. This window has been opened to show your Quicken account status"  When I look at the account status they are all green as if it's all good but it is not.  My Fidelity completely stopped syncing - not a single transaction since purchase.  I've been online before for over an hour with tech support and no resolution.  It is NOT a Capital One or Fidelity issue.  That always seems to be the rep solution that there is something with them.  I can log into my individual accounts on their websites just fine without issues - Quicken's product is based on the feature/ability to show ALL of my accounts in one place, so I don't have to log into each one separately.  Please upgrade the program to include these large financial organizations!!  It's extremely frustrating and I'm very unsatisfied with being required to "upgrade" and then have nothing work anymore.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Merging.

As an aside regarding leaving Quicken running all the time, there is one feature request that is part of the following IDEA thread that has yet to be implemented: 

4. add an option with the following choices as follows: 
    - save at [most, least] 'X' times in 'Y' [hours, days]

This would trigger a backup even when Quicken is open. 

All other 3 in that thread have been implemented but Quicken Marcus thought that 4 was a good idea, but this has yet to be implemented.

You can add your VOTE to Add More Options to Automatic Back-ups.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the List of Requests for Data and File Management Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Ok. Thx for the info.

I have updated the IDEA thread to reflect what has been implemented. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Tom Bonner
    Tom Bonner Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

I am not certain this happened because of the update to 5.6.0 but I have not had any transactions download from my CapitalOne credit card more recent than 5/07 and I no longer get the summary window indicating how many new transactions were downloaded from the various accounts that would have indicated a connection error. Finally got it fixed  today by reestablishing the connection type but that  didn't work last night when I got asked for a verification code and the only notification option presented was my landline phone number which did not provide a code. Maybe last night's failure was CapitalOne flakiness.

Account status window preference seems to have been reset to show only  when there are errors. I am now in 5.6.1 and window does not properly report the number of new transactions downloaded. At least the numbers don't match the number of new blue dots  marking new transactions downloaded in the various credit card accounts. With three accounts shown at least one but not the same one, seems to be wrong most times I check. Some times  the account status shown one new transaction and there is none and sometimes it reports no new transactions and there is one.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

Surprisingly, after reading this thread, I’m having zero issues with 5.6, but then I never moved any of the data files, program files, backup files, etc. nor do I have a complex investment portfolio. Everything including transaction downloading is working for me.

With regard to speed of loading, I opened the Quicken package data file and found about a dozen data files starting with "conflicted copy......" Deleting these reduced the size of my package file from 1GB to 178MB!! (I kept a copy just in case). File now loads in seconds instead of about a minute. I'm a happy camper and no longer worried about using year-end splitting off previous years to keep the file manageable (as i did on the Windows version for years).
  • Craig in ER
    Craig in ER Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018

Surprisingly, after reading this thread, I’m having zero issues with 5.6, but then I never moved any of the data files, program files, backup files, etc. nor do I have a complex investment portfolio. Everything including transaction downloading is working for me.

Lucky you!  I wish that were true for me.  My data file is only 152 Mb and nothing in the package is labeled "conflicted".  Still takes QM at least 2 minutes and 30 seconds to launch from a cold system start.  After the first launch all subsequent launches take less than 5 seconds.  If I reboot my Mac I start all over again with an unnecessarily slow launch.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

Weird! I guess I was lucky.
  • David Argust
    David Argust Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

After the 5.6 update, it broke my ability to download transactions from my bank. I waited a few days to see if it was just a momentary glitch. When the problem continued, it was the weekend, so I used the chat support. They acknowledged that the problem was the update, and told me that I'd receive an email when a fix was found. I waited an additional day, then had another chat. Same thing.

Today, having waited for a fix and not having received anything from Quicken, I called, since it was Monday. The very helpful woman said that the fix had been found yesterday, and that it involved exporting the data file, deleting that install, and then downloading the software again, and re-importing --- all basically to "rollback" to the previous update. So, she walked me through that process.

But, she acknowledged, she did not know of any attempt to send out emails to people, like myself, who'd called in or had chat sessions.

Along the way, we discovered that although the export / import process did save much of the data, certain things were lost:

All my transaction download settings had to be re-setup from scratch (about a 20 min process, since I had multiple accounts.)

In the process, we discovered that the auto loan account was essentially starting from scratch, and all transaction history for my auto loan account was lost.

Also, certain transactions in my checking account, like the original balance, were lost. I had to cheat by creating an adjustment transaction to get it to balance.

Also, my entire budget history was lost. Gone. All my previous months and years of budgets --- poof!

HUGE bonehead move on the part of Quicken. I can't imagine the hell you guys must be going through if millions of customers have suffered similar data loss.

i'd join a class action lawsuit, if one got going.

I am also having problems downloading transaction to my Capital One Credit Card ever since I upgraded to v.5.6.1.    The error I am getting is that Quicken encountered an error while communicating with it servers and to try again later. It has been going on for days.  From the error message it implies that it is a Quicken problem and not a problem with the bank/credit card.   Any advice since contacting Quicken Support seems inadvisable  in this situation?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018

Just downloaded 5.6.1 this AM. have been using 5.5.7 until today. Banking & Credit Card info all good,  investment data not so good. On bond &  mutual fund accounts missing cost basis info on many securities. The cost basis column now shows the add cost hyperlink. Tried to restore previous 5.5.7 file, did not solve the issue. Got on with Quicken support very nice fellow , very supportive, understood & agreed with what transpired.  He generated a case # & elevated this to tier 2 support. Have retreated back to the safety of 5.5.7 until this is resolved.

This turned into major project but the premonition I had about how to fix this seems to have worked. Very tedious & time consuming but all the cost basis info now in place using 5.6.1 .
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled This week downloaded update 5.61 on my Mac PROBLEMS!!!!.

update 5.61 on my Mac. Now when I go to shut down Quicken I get the following warning message with a Quicken Logo: Warning: Pending Payment You have a online payment to pay Do you want to Sent Pay Exit with out paying Payment is Dated 2/1/17 in the amount of $36.58 I spent two hours in a chat with Quicken Support and after trying different things the person said it was a bank bill pay problem. Bank 0ne hour said its quicken
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled This week downloaded update 5.61 on my Mac PROBLEMS!!!!.

update 5.61 on my Mac. Now when I go to shut down Quicken I get the following warning message with a Quicken Logo: Warning: Pending Payment You have a online payment to pay Do you want to Sent Pay Exit with out paying Payment is Dated 2/1/17 in the amount of $36.58 I spent two hours in a chat with Quicken Support and after trying different things the person said it was a bank bill pay problem. Bank 0ne hour said its quicken

Can you locate the transaction in Quicken and if so what is in the check number field and the Clr field?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

That's the problem there is no transaction to be found in quicken or with any bank on line bill pay
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    s2kdriver said:

Very nice printing improvements for the Portfolio view - thank you.  I particularly like the CSV export capability to format the report in Excel according to personal needs.  This is a good addition.

However, I am disappointed that two major issues still remain in the investments area:

1. Remove shares is still treated as a capital loss, and this negatively affects the Performance measurements (IRR, ROI) and the capital gains report.  From my perspective this is a major defect since Remove shares and Add shares is Quicken's recommended method to move shares between accounts, and is also the mechanism to handle security exchanges within an account.  This defect can turn a positively performing security and account into a loss position, and as a result the performance measurements for the account can go permanently negative because of this.  It makes IRR & ROI measurements permanently useless for that security and account, as well as impacting performance roll-ups at the Brokerage, Retirement, and Education investment category levels.

2. Adjusted Cost Base (or average cost) has not been added as a cost basis method for securities.  FIFO and LIFO are not valid cost basis methods for Canadian taxpayers. Other Canadian features in the product have been very good so far, but this remaining issue is a real limiter.  Unless you take extreme measures to manually calculate and implement an ACB method using the custom lots feature, the product does not report correct gain/loss amounts.  Canadian users typically have to calculate their cost base using other methods outside of the product (e.g. Excel).  This is a shame and removes value from the product for Canadian users.  I don't think I am alone in this request.

Perhaps there was insufficient time to deal with these issues in the 5.6 release.  I am still hopeful that Quicken will address these problems within a reasonable time as part of upcoming releases.

Mike, thank you for your very thoughtful comments.  I think we are on the same page.

1. We agree that from an account-level IRR/ROI perspective, Remove Shares and Add Shares should be treated at market value.  This would generate the correct IRR/ROI calculation at the account level.  However, based on QM's current logic, this would likely also generate a false gain or loss.  QM should fix this by providing some automated or manual means to eliminate any Remove Shares false gain/loss from the portfolio view (realized gain) as well as in any reports on the account.

2. I think we also agree that treatment of share transfers (Remove from one account and Add to another) should mirror the available lots in the original account.  I have actually done this manually with my transferred holdings to generate the correct cost basis in the transferred-to account.  QM currently has the infrastructure in place to handle it - Remove Shares already has support for Specify Lots in the dialog box.  You just have to manually create an Add Shares transaction in the receiving account for each lot removed from the original account.  It agree it can become tedious with EPP or DRP-style situations with many small purchase transactions. Perhaps Quicken could provide some automation for share transfers between accounts in the future.  However, I still view the transfer problem as a second priority to the more fundamental issue of getting the IRR/ROI & Capital Gains correct when Remove Shares and Add Shares transactions are present (as per point 1 above).

I took the time to simulate these changes on my current QM file by using a pair of Sell (at market) and Payment transactions (to remove the resulting cash) for each Remove Shares transaction.  In addition, I created a single Add Shares transaction (at market) for each Remove Shares transaction (I was too lazy to simulate the lots in this test).  This generated the correct IRR/ROI calculation, but the Gain/Loss reporting on the old account and the new cost basis in the receiving account were all wrong.  This is the fundamental conflict we face with QM as it currently stands.  When moving shares between accounts you can choose either: a) correct cost basis information in the new account with incorrect IRR/ROI and false realized capital gains on the old account, or b) incorrect cost basis in the new account and incorrect realized capital gains on the old account, but with correct IRR/ROI calculations.  Neither of these options are really acceptable.

Marcus - I completely understand that you need to think about this problem before offering a solution, but I also believe you need to recognize that there are defects in the current IRR/ROI calculation and Capital Gains reporting for Remove Shares and Add Shares transactions.  In my opinion, a solution to these defects should be higher priority than implementing any new features around this area (e.g. transfers).
  • Eagle22
    Eagle22 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018

I does sound like the problem is with quicken then, since you don't see the transaction in quicken. 

I suggest you talk with quicken support again and ask to speak to tier 2. Did quicken support ask you to send them your logs? That should help them find your problem...
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The portfolio graph redrawing performance in 5.6.1 seems significantly slower than in 5.5.x.  If I select "Investing" in the navigation bar on the left (i.e. my whole portfolio), the combined refresh of security quotes, recalculation of portfolio values, and graph redraw takes about 30 seconds.  In previous versions of QM, this refresh took a maximum of 10-15 seconds.  I believe it is not related to the security quotes lookup, as I have only 50 active positions - not very large.  In addition, the refresh feedback wheel spins for only 2 seconds - presumably the lookup time.  As an experiment, I hid the portfolio graph and performed a refresh.  The portfolio value updates in about 5 seconds total after a lookup refresh.  This must mean the remaining 25 seconds is spent on recalculating and drawing the graph alone.  Has anything changed in graph drawing performance in 5.6.1?  Perhaps this is an area the Quicken team should look at to improve the experience of the product.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018

Spent close to two hours with chat on quicken support. Doing all kinds of changes , to many to remember. This didn't not show until the new release down loaded. My bank  bill pay IT Dept searched and spent almost one hour chasing down the transaction back to 2016 and there was no bills in the Q that were pending nor matched the information that quicken was providing a shut down. Even tried to pay the bill to get rid of the message. The message went away but came back when I went to quit quicken a second time. What is up setting to me is it worked fine prior to the up grade and quicken pointing the finger at the bank bill pay and the bank bill pay at quicken. It would be nice if someone falls on the sword and take the hit for the error and find a fix. I am tired of playing tennis with quicken and the bill payer for my bank. It seems to me that if it worked fine prior and after the up load it didn't. THAT POINTS THE FINGER @ Quicken who has a history of issues when something is up graded. This is not my first Rodeo dealing with issues when something was changed or up graded by Quicken. I have been using the product for as long as its been on the market. This issue is small in nature but still, it frosts me to no end. Thanks for your reply and my venting about the provider 
  • Najmi
    Najmi Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Mark said:

I upgraded to 5.6.0 on Quicken 2018 for Mac from the most recent prior version. It has not played nice with my data. It deleted several transactions from over a year ago in my checking account, so tracking those down has taken a fair bit of time. One of my brokerage accounts now has an erroneous balance and I'll be tackling that next.  I have a lot of data going back to 2004. Something is wrong when upgrades cause me have to comb through all that data to find issues the upgrade has created. And then there's the question of, what else happened that I haven't discovered, and may not for some time. I appreciate the improvements, but it's a heckuva price to pay. [Side note: once I saw the out of whack balances, I went back to an earlier backup of the data file, and upgraded that one, and it too had deleted transactions, but they were different from the first upgrade. But they were all over a year old.]

Marcus, re RickO's question above - when you have a chance, could you specify the keyword in the memo field or any other way of searching for the corrected splits? Also, more broadly, would the log file be the place to look/search for info on database validation failures and the corrected actions taken? Thanks. 
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    In PV when either printing or exporting to CSV the security lots are automatically shown. Is that how it is intended to work?
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    RickO said:

The portfolio view can now be printed, exported to a CSV file, or copied and pasted into a spreadsheet.
    This is a huge improvement. However, I think it would be better if the printed/exported data reflected the expanded/collapsed state of the securities (rather than always expanded, even if screen state is collapsed).Marcus by all means please heed the counsel from RickO regarding option to print either expanded or collapsed view of the data.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2018
    Mike Lane said:

Still watching for a correct to the traded options display.  The options cost basis on portfolio view is 100 times the entry in transaction view.  Transactions are entered cost per option.  After entry each option converts to 100 shares each.  The cost in transaction is adjusted.  However in portfolio the shares are multiplied by the option price. A $300 cost becomes $30,000 cost.  I don't enter options anymore until the contracts are closed or expire.  Disappointed again but appreciate the other improvements. 

The options issues should be well known to the folks at Quicken, I have dealt with this ever since converting from QW 13 to QM 16..
This discussion has been closed.