Budget Rollover Report (46 Legacy Votes, +4 Merged Votes)

Joseph Hanna
Joseph Hanna Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports
It would be nice to have the capability to create a budget report that includes rollover balances from the previous month/period.
126 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review QMAC-19977

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.

If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Is this request for the Mac or Windows version?

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• Joseph Hanna
    Joseph Hanna Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Windows, though I'm sure MAC users would be interested as well.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests Related to Budgets for Quicken For Mac.

Mac users may want to go click on the underlined link to add your vote to more related ideas.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2020
    The QWIN budget tool has this option for years and was very helpful. I like over all I like the new budget tool in QMAC. But it is missing this key option to set a budget to rollover its surplus/deficit to the next month. PLEASE ADD to QMAC so I can stop use a spreadsheet for my 12-month budget.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    I believe you do have that in Quicken for MAC but I could be wrong because from reading this https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-mac-12-month-budget-overview-and-getting-started   it sounds to me like it have that roll over ability. unless you can clarify further. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled VOTE to add monthly budget rollover to Quicken for Mac!.

The number one feature that keeps our family from migrating over to Quicken for Mac is the lack of monthly budget rollovers. We use this constantly to set monthly money aside for budgets that we use for large long term expenses like car tires and vehicle maintenance. It is also really nice if we over spent on groceries for one month, that the next month's budget reflects this so we know to try and spend less. This is a SUPER feature and absolutely critical to our budgeting. Please, if you can, vote for this feature on Quicken. For Mac, just click on "Quicken" next to the apple on the top left of the toolbar at the top of the screen and click "Provide Feedback". There you can free type a feature that you want to be added, just type "monthly budget rollover". They update features based on these community votes, so please vote and encourage others to vote as well.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    If you can get the rollover numbers on the screen, we should be able to get them in report.  It IS frustrating to view the rollover amount online, but when you print a hard copy report you can't get it.
  • Joseph Hanna
    Joseph Hanna Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    The rollover numbers appear in the "Planning" section under the column "Balance".  I have not found a way to show the "Balance" in a report.  Hopefully this is a feature that will be added in the near future.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    This would be very useful. I have a rollover report for Quicken made up in excel. I had to set it up manually at first, now I cut and paste reports to get the monthly rollover totals. It's very helpful. for example your final balance may be $1000 but you may be $1500 in positive rollovers but -$500 in negative rollovers or over budgets.It's very good to know that. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes!  This!  A budget report is practically useless unless it includes rollover amounts.  For example, I handle the finances for our family, but I want to empower my wife to make purchase decisions without her feeling she has to come to me to "ask for permission".  I was hoping to print out a budget report to show whether we have a deficit or a surplus in certain categories from month to month so that my wife can make her own decision whether the family can afford to make a purchase.  Otherwise, she has to wait for me to be home and open up Quicken to tell her what our "real" budget balance is for a category.  Thus, "asking for permission".

In order to show "real" balances, I have to play with the date ranges.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes, this needs to be added to the request list. It's been requested many times before but no one seems to care. If you add the functionality to the tool, I don't understand why you wouldn't update the report at the same time to allow people to actually visualize the rollovers. Seems to me this would be a fairly simple fix that would add significant value to the report.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited July 2018
    I've already upvoted this, but I wanted to make sure any Quicken devs looking at this knew that I also VERY much could use this. I currently have to read by eye the rollover values for more than 60 categories every month to ensure everything reconciles for me (e.g. money out = money in). I've resorted to writing custom code in Python to do this, but the report output is awkwardly formatted enough that I had to spend hours just encoding the text properly, removing tabs, etc. I'm fatigued enough that I still haven't finished the project (although DM me and let me know if you have Quicken 2017 and would like a link to the open source code once it's up - I'll get there!).
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Yes I would love this feature. It makes sense to know the total rollover because you may be over in one category but under in another, and a simple report to add it all up to see if you are over and under is all would need. I work around this by manually setting up a month of rollover numbers in excel, then each month import a budget report to update the rollover amounts and total. Of course you need to keep the  categories constant as the excel would get messed up otherwise but it works for me. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanks guys for chiming in with your support. Your comments express exactly why it behooves Quicken to solution this relatively simple issue. We are being forced to go outside the program to complete tasks (with other software), given the programs inability to offer the compete picture. Not a sustainable business model in my opinion. Hopefully it gets addressed soon.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    More specifically, I use the rollovers as I save monthly for things that I pay yearly. It just sits in my bank account but the rollover tells me how much I've saved. Now sometimes other categories are overspent according to the rollover so what I've really done is borrowed from the savings. If we had a rollover report, I can see in total how much I've borrowed from my savings in total from various overspent categories and take corrective measures. Right now i have to do this with an excel document fudged from the quicken rollover data.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    You may want to add your VOTE to a related idea to Add Rollover option for budgets.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    You may want to add your VOTE to a related idea for a Budget Rollover Report.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your will vote count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click "VOTE" above to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers.
    If you do not click VOTE at the top of the page, your vote will NOT be counted!

Click "Follow" at the top if you want to receive notifications of any updates to this thread. 

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    This IDEA has been added to the List of Requests Related to Budgets for Quicken For Mac.

• Bob@64
    Bob@64 Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am currently using a spreadsheet to do this, which is very undesirable. It would be extremely helpful to include this just below the Monthly "Difference" row in the budget tool. Below the Budget Difference, include a running tally of planned cashflow. 
    i.e. if January finishes +300, but February finishes -500, then at the end of February, estimated cashflow is -200. A tally like this running through the year can help immensely with budget planning. 

In the attached example I happen to have that line item listed as "reserve" and it is above the summaries, but below would probably make more sense within the product. The usefulness here is that while my end of year numbers are positive in relation to income vs expenses, I have a month by month difference but no running total of when I go negative and then come positive again.

But if that can't be done, an export of the budget, with formulas included would go a long way too, for totaling by month, etc. Right now after I export the budget I then need to manually go in and replace the totals with computed formulas to do the planning.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bob@64
    Bob@64 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018

Yes!  This!  A budget report is practically useless unless it includes rollover amounts.  For example, I handle the finances for our family, but I want to empower my wife to make purchase decisions without her feeling she has to come to me to "ask for permission".  I was hoping to print out a budget report to show whether we have a deficit or a surplus in certain categories from month to month so that my wife can make her own decision whether the family can afford to make a purchase.  Otherwise, she has to wait for me to be home and open up Quicken to tell her what our "real" budget balance is for a category.  Thus, "asking for permission".

In order to show "real" balances, I have to play with the date ranges.

this is HUGE!!!!
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    It looks like this exists for Windows, but not for Mac. Please make this for Mac! As everyone has said above, there is not much use of a budget without a rollover option. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Quicken for mac 2019: Why can't I rollover budget categories for each month?.

Windows users can rollover budget categories from month to month. Please allow Mac users to do the same! When purchasing this product it is not clear that Mac users are unable to do this and without this feature, the entire budget tool is not very useful at all.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2019

I believe you do have that in Quicken for MAC but I could be wrong because from reading this https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-mac-12-month-budget-overview-and-getting-started   it sounds to me like it have that roll over ability. unless you can clarify further. 

That link is just for Windows.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hello Amanda,

Welcome to the Community!

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to have this feature added to the Mac version.

Unfortunately, the ability to rollover amounts in the budgets has not been created for the Mac version as of yet.

Our developers review these Idea posts to get an idea of what people would like to see in the product, so please go to the top and vote on this idea.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • I can not believe the budget report wouldn't include the roll-overs. The roll-over is what tells you how much money you actually have to spend?!?!?
  • Horatio
    Horatio Member
    Does any of the recent editions of Quicken for Mac have the ability to do account rollovers similar to what is available in the Quicken for Windows versions?

When I ask about rollovers, I'm curious about a situation where I budget $100 dollars for category each month, but I only spend $80 dollars so the amount rolls over and we have $120 in that category the next month.

The best I can tell is that editions up to Quicken for Mac 2018 didn't have this feature, but I'm wondering if anything beyond that does.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Horatio,

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to have this feature added to the Mac version.

This Idea has been marked as "Planned" meaning feature is planned to be added to the Mac version.

However, I am unable provide and ETA of when to expect these feature to be available.

Thank you for your patience,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~