Quicken for Mac 2019 v5.8.1 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we're releasing Quicken for Mac 2019 v5.8.1.  

The year has changed but it's basically the same product as 2018.  Since everyone is a subscriber now there is no need to download and install a new version of Quicken. 

This release has a number of fixes.  I think many of you will recognize these as issues you brought to our attention in the last releases forum port. Thanks.  

One of the things that isn't necessarily related to our 5.8.1 release but I wanted to highlight is our new Quicken website where you can see your Quicken data.  It's still a public beta for another week or so but you can try it out.  https://app.quicken.com. Just remember you have to turn on Sync in Quicken's preferences and sign in using your Quicken ID. This is NOT a replacement for the Quicken desktop products.  Think of it more as a companion site that you can use to change categories or review your transactions when you're away from home.  I think it's pretty cool.

As always, please let us know if you run into any issues.  Please write 5.8.1 issues as comments in this forum post.

Here are the release notes...

5.8.1 Improvements - New Quicken Web
  • NEW - Added a new menu item under Help to access Quicken on the Web. Enter transactions, assign categories, view spending, track budgets and more from anywhere now using Quicken Web. Check it out at https://app.quicken.com. Sign in using your Quicken ID.
  • IMPROVED - Improved the performance of exporting or copying a report. Removed the 5000 transaction limit.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where the net worth over time report and calendar view misreported the market value of option trades in an investment account. Thanks to RichC who brought this to our attention and helped us track down the issue.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where reports copied to the clipboard wouldn't paste into Apple Numbers correctly.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where newly added columns were removed after customizing a report.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where sometimes a date change in the customize report dialog didn't stick.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where quotes for bonds or any other security downloaded only with investment transactions weren't getting stored properly in price history.
  • FIXED - Fixed a number of sync issues with the reviewed flag, balance adjustments, and transfers.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where Quicken would try to connect to the Quicken Cloud at launch sometimes requiring a sign-in.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where Quicken would try to connect to the Quicken Cloud when importing a web connect file. Don't do this if the customer has the auto-categorization preference turned off and they don't have any Quicken Connect accounts. Thanks to MarkJ for bringing this to our attention.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where the preference for the number of files automatically backed-up was ignored.
  • FIXED - Fixed a couple of issues with wallet checks. First, fixed an issue where only the first 2 lines of an address printed. Second, fixed an issue in the bold text feature where the written dollar amount wasn't bolded.
UPDATES
10-4: Released 5.8.1 to all customers.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    Thanks Marcus, I've tried Quicken Web last week, it's really, really cool. Great job !
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    On little suggestion for the next release: how about activating the <space> key to clear transactions int he Reconcile window? I miss this from Microsoft Money and, I believe, earlier versions of Quicken. It's really a lifesaver when the list of transactions is long and you methodically clear them one by one.

Any other key would do of course, as long as it's easy to type and remember.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    All is well, I confirm there is no longer the need to have a cloud account. Thanks for the fix!
  • ShawnDavis
    ShawnDavis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Mojave dark mode? new features to make it closer to Windows?  Better budgeting -- envelope or event based?  Tired of Quicken Mac and bug fixes while paying subscription rates. 
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    I downloaded this update and now my bank balance is all screwed up snd I am thousands of dollars off.  How do I fix this without adding in a manual adjustment?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    update broke my chase and amex sync...even though I can balance everything and it seems to be downloading new transactions, I still get an error box.  So sick of you guys breaking this stuff.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    Downloaded a few option (buy calls )this AM, Seems that QM making some progress; The call downloaded correctly, did not leave any placeholders, Qm converts # of contracts to shares. Only modification needed was to insert trade costs so that the share price is correct. I do not recall how this was done in QW when I ran that program years ago

Will be interesting to see how Qm records the close call transactions down the road
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

I downloaded this update and now my bank balance is all screwed up snd I am thousands of dollars off.  How do I fix this without adding in a manual adjustment?

Hello Heather. Appreciate your question.

I would try restoring from the previous (Pre-Update) backup in which was made prior to the update to 5.8.1.

Go to File > Restore from Backup and choose the Automatic Backups folder and there should be a Pre-Update backup from today's date.

This should restore your current data and should show the proper numbers.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Quicken Web definitely sounds pretty cool but unfortunately, there appear to be balance discrepancies between it and my Quicken app.  It seems to be limited to my checking and credit card accounts, although one savings account is slightly off.

Any thoughts on why this might be?
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    jsurpless said:

Quicken Web definitely sounds pretty cool but unfortunately, there appear to be balance discrepancies between it and my Quicken app.  It seems to be limited to my checking and credit card accounts, although one savings account is slightly off.

Tracked down one reason for the discrepancies - there's a transfer from a checking account to a credit card account that's duplicated in the Quicken Web version for some reason - one's on 7/14/18 (matches app) and an extra one on 7/16/18
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    The Quicken Web app looks nice but unfortunately my three USAA accounts won't sync to the web version. The same situation exists on the mobile app. Everything works ok on the regular Quicken for Mac app.
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    jrd4849 said:

The Quicken Web app looks nice but unfortunately my three USAA accounts won't sync to the web version. The same situation exists on the mobile app. Everything works ok on the regular Quicken for Mac app.

Hello Jim, appreciate your question.

I would click on the Quicken Menu, choose Preferences, and then choose Mobile, Web and Alerts. Look at the Accounts tab and see if your USAA account is setup to download to the mobile or web app:

Make sure that your account has a checkmark in the Sync menu.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited November 2018
    Wondering where the old feature of Memorized transactions went. I have to change a category for a very common entry every single time.  Used to be that if I typed the payee, the category would be pulled in automatically.  Am I missing something or is this gone?  I've been using different versions of Quicken for 20 + years. I now use it on my Mac so it may be a Windows thing
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited October 2018
    jrd4849 said:

Thanks Harold. Unfortunately the accounts are all checked. This has been bothering me and others on the mobile app for some time now so I'm disappointed to see the same problem on the web app.
  • CUITCNY
    CUITCNY Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    How certain is Quicken that the web version where personal data is stored is not accessible to hackers:  in other words, is this state of the art security protecting access to the Web account?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2018
    CUITCNY said:

How certain is Quicken that the web version where personal data is stored is not accessible to hackers:  in other words, is this state of the art security protecting access to the Web account?

It's the same Quicken cloud that's been used for the mobile app for years; it just has a web interface now in addition to the mobile app.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CUITCNY
    CUITCNY Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The balances on almost every account is wrong and different than that of the desktop balances.  Very strange.
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
     In the Home tab under Bill & Income Reminders, clicking on one of the reminders used to open a second window for the account with the transaction highlighted. This no longer works for most accounts, although it seems to be random which accounts do this. This worked fine until 5.8.0 and
    was NOT fixed in 5.8.1

• Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018

update broke my chase and amex sync...even though I can balance everything and it seems to be downloading new transactions, I still get an error box.  So sick of you guys breaking this stuff.

Adam, we rarely change anything with downloading from banks so if something breaks it's typically not Quicken but is more likely an issue with the bank or our aggregation service which is run by Intuit.  I'm not saying it's never the software but I can't imagine there is any change in 5.8.1 that would cause this.  In general, downloading from the banks is a fairly frail process.  If the banks make a change on their website, it could break downloading transactions.  If they have any security issues, they block us from downloading.  If they upgrade their Direct Connect servers, we've seen issue crop up.  For example, Fidelity changed their Direct Connect servers and 403b accounts with a sister brokerage accounts stopped working.  Can you provide the financial institution that you're using so the community can chime in if they are also seeing issues with the same bank or credit union?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018

Heather, Can you tell me more about your situation so we can see if we can reproduce the problem  Do you have mobile sync on?  We made some changes in mobile sync so I'm trying to better understand if this could be the issue you're running into.  After you upgraded, did your first sync take a really long time?  When you do a reconcile, was it obvious why your account was off?  Are you seeing duplicate transactions?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018

Downloaded a few option (buy calls )this AM, Seems that QM making some progress; The call downloaded correctly, did not leave any placeholders, Qm converts # of contracts to shares. Only modification needed was to insert trade costs so that the share price is correct. I do not recall how this was done in QW when I ran that program years ago

Will be interesting to see how Qm records the close call transactions down the road

Concordman, thanks for the update.  Yes, we've made a couple of changes to help with option trading.  1) We now read the transaction correctly when we download them. 2) Like you said, we should be recording them correctly.  Previously Quicken Mac was getting confused between contracts and shares.  Let us know how Quicken does after your options close.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018
    jsurpless said:

jsurpless, thanks for that update.  I'll let our web team know. Any other thoughts on the web application?
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018
    jrd4849 said:

Jim, thanks for reporting this.  I wasn't aware of it but will do some research.  Every financial institution is slightly different.  Do you know if you're using Direct Connect or Quicken Connect? Direct connect is a little more complicated because we have to set up a completely separate cloud account for your direct connect institutions that might require you to do additional work.  For example, with Chase, you have to go to the Chase website and 1) Opt into desktop application access and 2) Walk through a Secure Message validation.  You have to do this even if you've already done it for Mac.  The mobile and web app are considered a different connection and you have to approve it separately.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018
    Sandi said:

Wondering where the old feature of Memorized transactions went. I have to change a category for a very common entry every single time.  Used to be that if I typed the payee, the category would be pulled in automatically.  Am I missing something or is this gone?  I've been using different versions of Quicken for 20 + years. I now use it on my Mac so it may be a Windows thing

Quicken Mac doesn't allow one to explicitly create memorized transactions but it will remember the last transaction entered with a payee and auto-fill those transactions.  We're working on bringing the memorize transaction feature to the latest version of Quicken Mac in the not too distant feature.  For some background, Quicken 2007 had a number of features like this so you might be thinking of that version but unfortunately, we couldn't use any of that code to build the latest Mac product because it was very old and was written before masOS X.  Lots of things barely work today and in fact we think Quicken 2007 will stop working in the next Apple macOS update since it's a 32 bit app.  
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018
    CUITCNY said:

jacobs is correct. This is the same Quicken Cloud used for the mobile app.   
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018
    CUITCNY said:

The balances on almost every account is wrong and different than that of the desktop balances.  Very strange.

This is good feedback.  We aren't seeing this with our own accounts and have fixed the issues where we saw a problem but it sounds like there are still areas where this could be happening.   jsurpless above says he was seeing a wrong balance because a transfer was showing up twice.  Are you seeing the same issue?  It would be great to learn more about why you're seeing a balance discrepancy so we can fix the issue.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018

In the Home tab under Bill & Income Reminders, clicking on one of the reminders used to open a second window for the account with the transaction highlighted. This no longer works for most accounts, although it seems to be random which accounts do this. This worked fine until 5.8.0 and
    was NOT fixed in 5.8.1

Hi Joey,  Thanks for reporting this issue.  I've been trying to reproduce it but haven't been able to.  For the accounts that aren't working, can you go to the account settings and look at the scheduled transaction settings to make sure you are showing occurrences.

If the scheduled transaction can't be shown, I don't think Quicken will pop-up the register window for that transaction.  Let me know if this is not the issue.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited October 2018

On little suggestion for the next release: how about activating the <space> key to clear transactions int he Reconcile window? I miss this from Microsoft Money and, I believe, earlier versions of Quicken. It's really a lifesaver when the list of transactions is long and you methodically clear them one by one.

Any other key would do of course, as long as it's easy to type and remember.

Interesting idea.  I'll write up a ticket.  We're focused on some pretty big features so may not get to this for a while but thanks for the suggestion.
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

was NOT fixed in 5.8.1

Thanks for the response. I checked and it is not working on the accounts I have set to "Show the next occurrence of each series". The transaction is shown when I open the window from the sidebar and I am pretty sure it used to work when set to that, but at least it's not random. I switched back and forth on several different accounts and that is indeed the controlling factor. I guess I thought that if I could see the transaction then the click should work. If you could fix that, that would be great. Thanks again for the response, though. 
  • krm11
    krm11 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018

was NOT fixed in 5.8.1

I checked in my accounts too.  If the account is set to "Show the next occurrence of each series", the transaction does NOT open in a new window.  If the account is set to "Show all occurrences in the next <#days>", then the transaction DOES open in a new window, and the transaction shows in the Bills & Income Reminders list/report according to the number of days chosen to show in the account setting.  If the account is set to "Hide all occurrences", the transaction still shows in the Bills & Income Reminders list/report (unless the account is hidden in reports), but the transaction does NOT open in a new window.  
    I also noticed that in Bills & Income / Bills tab (which behaves more like a list than a report), there are different time frame options for viewing upcoming bills, including "Next one due" and "Next 6 months" and "Next 1 year", but not "Next 90 days".  
    So... when I want to find the next occurrence of a bill that isn't due for more than a year (e.g. driver's license renewal), I have to remember to look in Bills & Income / Bills "Next one due", rather than Home / Bills & Income Reminders. 

It might be less confusing if those viewing options could be made consistent in both areas of Quicken. 
This discussion has been closed.