QM2019 Export to QMTF is broken

John Keating
John Keating Member ✭✭
I exported my QM2007 account file into QM2019 and that worked fine. But then attempting to export the QM2019 file back using "Quicken Mac 2007 transfer file (QMTF)" format is not working for me and has two problems. 

1) The export proceeds through each of the steps but issues a warning (see attached screenshot) that "Data was Truncated". The resulting "Data File.qmtf" cannot be opened by Quicken Mac 2007 and is about one-ninth the size of the original QM 2007 data file. The resulting log file mentions the warning but gives no further information and says that the export succeeded.

2) The "Exporting Transactions" step is extremely slow. However, if I switch away from Quicken to another app and immediately return to Quicken, the export will have almost finished. Switching out of QM2019 speeds up the export immensely, though the resulting file is the same.

I understand that QMTF export is an leftover from QEM but it shouldn't be part of QM2019 at all if it doesn't work.

Log File:
Export from Quicken document /Users/johnk/Library/Application Support/Quicken/Documents/Data File.quicken         to Quicken 2007 transfer file: /Volumes/JOHNSEX/Data File.qmtf

Exported transactions start on 2/12/1982 and go through 11/12/2018

--- WARNING ---> Some data in account 'House Account' was truncated for export!.

Exported 12 Accounts.

Exported 68 Categories.

Exporting transactions in Man Bal

Exporting transactions in 5411 House

Exporting transactions in House Account

Exported 6018 Transactions.

QMTF Export succeeded with 2 warnings.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quicken Basic Version 5.8.2 (Build 58.24609.100,  macOS 10.13.6)

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have direct experience in using the QMTF export but it was designed to go from QEM back to QM2007 and since QEM does not have functionality for tracking of investment transactions.

Also, did you modify any data before trying to export back to QM2007? QM2019 data fields allow for longer data. So you would have to narrow down what data is being truncated. 

So both of these could be the reason for what you are seeing.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• John Keating
    John Keating Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Hi. No I didn't modify any data before re-exporting back to QMTF; it was a virgin import. Also, the account that receives the warnings is not an investment account.

Couple of additional pieces of information:

1) category names are set to "short" in my QM2019 Preferences.
    2) The resulting Data File does have transaction date in it when viewed with a text editor, but I don't know if it's complete or not. Either way, it won't open with QM2007.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2018
    Unfortunately, because Quicken 2007 is a discontinued product that is no longer supported, I don't think there's much of a chance the developers will have any reason to fix this. I do agree that if it doesn't work, it shouldn't be part of the program, and I'm afraid I think it should just be removed at this point. 

It sounds like you imported to Quicken 2019 and tried to go right back, so you haven't lost any data -- just your time -- in this process. Although it's not the answer you're looking for, I think you should be happy you didn't lose data, and just decide whether to move forward with Quicken 2007 (which is still viable for some people) or Quicken 2019.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    For cross-referencing, here is some ongoing discussion about the removal of QMTF export from QMac v5.9+:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-subscription-v5-9-released?topic...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All!

The ability to export a QMTF file has been added back into  5.10.1 for Mac.

Thank you all for your feedback and patience while this was corrected!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.