Quicken for Mac Subscription 5.9.0, 5.9.1 & 5.9.2 Released

Quicken Marcus
Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
Today we're releasing Quicken for Mac (Subscription) v5.9. We added a few new features but the bulk of this release are bug fixes and stability improvements.  

Probably the biggest improvement is in search performance. Searching in the category or transfer fields would take a long time if you had years and years of data. Some customers were seeing issues where just typing a search would pop-up the beachball.  We optimized both the typing algorithm and the look-up for transfer accounts.  Some of our beta customers reported seeing a 30% performance gain.

We've added a few new features in investments such as cost basis per share and account columns in the portfolio view.  We also added a way to get to deeper security information from within the security window. There are also small changes like you can add retirement accounts to the tax report and subscription reminders now appear in a thin banner at the top of the screen vs popping up everytime you launch.

In terms of stability, we fixed the number 2 and 3 crashing issues in the 5.9 product.  We fixed the #1 crashing issue in 5.8.2 and saw a significant drop in crashes so we expect 5.9 to continue this trend.  We also focused on improving the reliability of Single Mutual Fund and 401K accounts.  These accounts are special in that they don't have cash balances and Quicken adds adjustment transactions to offset buys and sells to accurately reflect the current market value.  We also made improvements to the Add and Remove shares feature and how they are used in the performance/IRR calculations.  IRR calculations will now use the date the shares were added vs the acquisition date which should more accurately reflect performance.

In this forum thread, let us know if you run into any issues.  We'll be watching this thread closely.

Below are the official release notes.

Version 5.9.0 (December)
In 5.9, we focused mostly on improving the stability and reliability of Quicken, but there are a few nice improvements worth mentioning.
New Features and Improvements
  • IMPROVED - Improved overall search performance when searching for transfer accounts in both the category and transfer fields. Also refined the way search works while typing in the Search field.
  • IMPROVED - Display a less intrusive subscription reminder as a small notification at the top of the window instead of popping up a screen on launch.
  • IMPROVED - Added the ability to include retirement accounts in the tax report to track taxable withdrawals.
  • IMPROVED - The Portfolio View will now display N/A instead of 0 when Gain/Loss or ROI Amounts/Percentages don't fit within the defined holding period.
  • IMPROVED - The sidebar can now be temporarily hidden by dragging the slider to close it. This setting is not saved so you can easily get it back. Look for continued improvements in a future release.
  • IMPROVED - Re-enabled the ability to have tabbed windows using View > Show Tab Bar.
  • NEW - Added Cost Basis/Share and Account columns to the investment Portfolio View.
  • NEW - Added a Security Overview button to the Security window that opens a web page providing more security details.
  • NEW - Added support for the new Quicken World Mastercard - Designed especially for Quicken members. Get real-time notifications in your Quicken mobile app when you use your card, including pending transactions, so your spending, budgets and custom alerts are always up to date. Learn More.
  • NEW - Added support for the new Quicken | Capital One savings account. Make your cash work harder for you. Earn 2.00% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) plus up to $600 exclusive bonus. Learn More.
Quality Improvements
  • FIXED - In reports, fixed an issue where the Last 7, 14, 30, 60 and 90-Day filters were off by 1 day.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where drill down reports weren't respecting the payee or tag filtering.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where the Category Summary report wasn't displaying hidden payees because Include Hidden Payees checkbox was unchecked. It should be checked by default.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where the Keep Number of Backup Files preference wasn't being honored.
  • FIXED - Quicken automatically combines dividends with their corresponding buys and converts them to a single reinvested dividend transaction. In this case, the new transaction wasn't being marked as cleared but should have been.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where price history for holdings in a new account wasn't getting updated.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where new accounts weren't immediately added to the Quicken Cloud when Sync was turned on.
  • FIXED - Fixed a number of issues in buy and sell transactions in Single Mutual Fund and 401(k) accounts.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where IRR calculations were incorrectly using the acquisition date instead of the added date for Add Share transactions.
  • FIXED - Fixed an issue where Remove Share transactions were showing up in the Portfolio - Realized Gain view and the Tax Report - Schedule D.
  • FIXED - Improved the overall stability of Quicken by fixing the number 1 and 2 crashing issues that customers were running into.
5.9.1 Fix
  • FIXED - Fixed a crash that occurred in the All Accounts view if an account was deleted in a file with multiple currencies.
5.9.2 Fix
  • FIXED - Fixed a crash that occurred if there were holdings without a security in the portfolio view or net worth report. This should never happen, but for some reason a number of people's files were in this state.
ROLLOUT UPDATES
  • 12/13 - Unfortunately, we're seeing a few people who have multi-currencies running into a crash so we've pulled the release to investigate it more. We hope to have a fix soon.
  • 12/13 - We fixed the crash and just rolled out 5.9.1.
  • 12/20 - We uncovered another crash that a number of customers were running into and fixed it in 5.9.2.

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    I like the fact that you post like this and monitor the thread for problems.
    I wish the Windows side had the same.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    • IMPROVED - Display a less intrusive subscription reminder as a small
      notification at the top of the window instead of popping up a screen on
      launch.
    Hurrah! And thank you! Quicken listened to the customer community!
    Now, if I may be so bold ... let's do the same for Quicken Windows.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019

launch.
    Actually, Quicken Windows already does this.  I'm talking about the reminder that your subscription is ending soon.  This appears in the top of the window in a yellow banner.  I just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2019

launch.
    Translation: this does not end the much-reviled practice of taking the right side of the Quicken window away for a permanent ad/reminder to re-subscribe after a subscription expires; this banner in QMac 5.9 replaces the annoying pop-up ad box prior to your subscription expiring.

The decision to take away the right-side screen real-estate for lapsed subscribers is, I'm assuming, a decision by senior management and not Marcus and the Mac development team. In fact, this horizontal banner to drive renewals before a subscription expires essentially proves that the much larger panel that comes up once a subscription expires is not just marketing, but punishment for not renewing. 

Quicken wants to sell subscription renewals -- and rightly should; it needs continued subscribers to stay in business and continue investing in the product. It should be able to communicate to customers about new features in the software and any special inducements to renew. That's legitimate marketing to get customers to renew. But here's the smoking gun: since they clearly believe that this small horizontal banner is an effective way to do so, the decision to grab a large chunk of the right side of the screen once a subscription expires can only be seen as a policy to annoy/frustrate customers so much that it pushes them to renew.

I'm sorry to hear that Quicken management hasn't taken a more enlightened view that punishing customers who don't renew is not a good way to build customer loyalty and drive retention. As CEO Eric Dunn wrote last year when switching to subscription pricing: "Our business success is dependent on our Quicken Members seeing enough value so that they keep their membership." And that should be Quicken's philosophy, rather than driving people to renew simply to get their screen space back from a ransomeware-like ad. I hope they will shift to a better practice in the future.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    edited January 2019
    Probably the biggest improvement is in search performance. Searching in the category or transfer fields would take a long time if you had years and years of data. Some customers were seeing issues where just typing a search would pop-up the beachball.  We optimized both the typing algorithm and the look-up for transfer accounts.  Some of our beta customers reported seeing a 30% performance gain.
    Thanks to the development team for digging into the long Search delays that plagued some of us! I have many years of data, and perhaps more importantly, lots of text in the Memo/Notes field, which I use extensively and which the Search has to dig through. If I did a search of all Banking accounts, with the Memo/Notes field visible, my first Search after launching Quicken would take about two minutes. (All subsequent searches were much faster -- but I usually tried to avoid Search entirely because of this painfully long delay.) With version 5.9, the initial Search is down to about 10 seconds. That's an astounding 92% performance gain!

Last year there solved the painfully slow launch speed, and now the painfully slow Search speed, making Quicken Mac much more pleasant for me to use. These improvements don't check major boxes on lists of new features, but they contribute hugely to the usability of the program for those of us with data that caused Quicken to be slow. I appreciate that Marcus had the developers spend the time to dig into the code to find and resolve these ares of slow performance. 
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Thanks to the development team for digging into the long Search delays that plagued some of us! I have many years of data, and perhaps more importantly, lots of text in the Memo/Notes field, which I use extensively and which the Search has to dig through. If I did a search of all Banking accounts, with the Memo/Notes field visible, my first Search after launching Quicken would take about two minutes. (All subsequent searches were much faster -- but I usually tried to avoid Search entirely because of this painfully long delay.) With version 5.9, the initial Search is down to about 10 seconds. That's an astounding 92% performance gain!

Last year there solved the painfully slow launch speed, and now the painfully slow Search speed, making Quicken Mac much more pleasant for me to use. These improvements don't check major boxes on lists of new features, but they contribute hugely to the usability of the program for those of us with data that caused Quicken to be slow. I appreciate that Marcus had the developers spend the time to dig into the code to find and resolve these ares of slow performance. 
    Still waiting for searching in all transactions to include those in hidden accounts.....
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • krm11
    krm11 Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

Agreed - especially now with the (much appreciated!) faster search capability.

I know we have been able create a report to find transactions in hidden accounts all along, or unhide the accounts we *think* might contain the transactions we are looking for in Transaction Search, but now it seems even more cumbersome to have to go through either of those processes.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2019

I echo the thanks for the performance improvements!
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • BillR
    BillR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Error Installing Latest Update.

Each time I attempt to update QMPremier2019 5.8.2 with 5.9.1 I get the following message:
    "An error occurred while relaunching Quicken, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken".
    Any thoughts on cause and possible fix will be appreciated. Bill
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019

Each time I attempt to update QMPremier2019 5.8.2 with 5.9.1 I get the following message:
    "An error occurred while relaunching Quicken, but the new version will be available next time you run Quicken".

Thanks for reporting this.  Let me check with our engineers.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019

We're working on a design for hidden, separate and closed accounts that could work like Quicken Windows.  This is still just in the design phase, but hidden accounts would be included in All Transactions where you'll be able to search on them.  Given all the stuff we're working on now, I can't say when this feature would or wouldn't appear but it wouldn't be soon.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019

I just spoke to our engineering technical lead and he suggests downloading the latest release from the My Account webpage on Quicken.com or you can get to this same page in Quicken by going to Preferences: Connected Services and clicking on  Edit Account.

Once downloaded, you can just trash the 5.8 app and then copy the 5.9 app to your Applications folder. 
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to implementation in the future.
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019

zaconline wrote in another thread: "Are you working with Synchrony Bank to add them to the list of supported banks? 

Until recently I had to manually import downloads from Synchrony Bank. Then, more recently I was able to download, but there is an issue with getting duplicate entries after I have manually renamed a transaction. The transaction gets a new Sync ID and often the Fl payee name is different. I can't talk to the bank about it because they say they do not support Quicken downloads. I have had the duplicate problem occasionally with B of A, but Synchrony has been a consistent problem recently.  This appears to happen only with external transactions/transfers and not with internal transfers between Synchrony accounts or with things like interest. I have screenshots of this, which I take each time before I manually delete the duplicate.

I did notice that last night the sync failed with the bank, but worked this morning and then I saw the duplicates for transactions from 2 different banks and all external transfers for this month. 

I am currently using Quicken for mac 2019 Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100)."

I don't know.  Let me escalate your issue to our connectivity team. Thanks for reporting this.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

zaconline wrote in another thread: "Are you working with Synchrony Bank to add them to the list of supported banks? 

Until recently I had to manually import downloads from Synchrony Bank. Then, more recently I was able to download, but there is an issue with getting duplicate entries after I have manually renamed a transaction. The transaction gets a new Sync ID and often the Fl payee name is different. I can't talk to the bank about it because they say they do not support Quicken downloads. I have had the duplicate problem occasionally with B of A, but Synchrony has been a consistent problem recently.  This appears to happen only with external transactions/transfers and not with internal transfers between Synchrony accounts or with things like interest. I have screenshots of this, which I take each time before I manually delete the duplicate.

I did notice that last night the sync failed with the bank, but worked this morning and then I saw the duplicates for transactions from 2 different banks and all external transfers for this month. 

I am currently using Quicken for mac 2019 Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100)."

(original post here:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2019-v5-8-1-released?topic-reply... )

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Another post by lablover57 here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2019-v5-8-1-released?topic-reply...

"I have Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100).  I am now getting partial download errors, this has occurred after the latest update.  Very annoyed...."

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• lablover57
    lablover57 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    thank you @smayer97 for copying over my situation! :-)

Quicken User since the DOS days...
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    Since there is no suggestion for improvement process for Quicken products, feel free to pas this on the the appropriate developers.

Suggestions for improvement to Quicken for Mac

1. When I go to reconcile my checking and savings account, the “Statement Ending Date” defaults to sometime in the dinosaur era. You need to fix it so it brings up either today’s date, the date of the last reconciliation, or the last ending date plus 30 days. Any of these would be better than some arbitrary date in the past.

2. When I go to enter a check, auto fill in the next check number based on the last one I wrote. I seem to remember this was standard for Quicken for Windows.

3. For those who work on a laptop, make it possible to hide all the items at the top of the main screen so all that appears is the registry. I do not need the name of the bank, the balance, the filters, etc.

4. In the Filter area, when selecting the dates for “custom dates”, make the last dates the default. It is a real pain to have a custom date then switch to say the “Last 60 days” then back to custom dates. Again the default dates are in the dinosaur era.

5. On the settings page for an account, the dropdown for scheduled transactions, the timeframe needs to be longer. I should have the option of more years. 

6. Same as above when creating/viewing a budget. I should be able to set my own dates and not be limited to 12 months.

7. When scheduling a transaction, the calendar needs to be separate from the date of payment. For example, if I select Schedule: monthly, then every month on the 12thday the minute the date on the calendar does not change (this is good). Then when I go to the calendar to select when to begin the payment (starting on or after), it changes the date I selected in part one of the process.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    BTW, there are plenty of suggestions posted in this forum. You can browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content
    Categorized List of IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

or if you prefer this layout:
    EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

These lists only capture and categorize about 70% of all the IDEAs in this section. Read this FAQ to learn how to see them all:
    How to Filter Conversations/Discussion Threads on this Forum (to see only what you want)

Re: #2, you can go to the next cheque # by pressing the +/- keys while in the Cheque # field. 

You may want to add your VOTE to Remember and apply start/end dates (for #1)Customizable Reminder Selection (for #6)First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Reconciliation Process, the 
    List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features and the 
    List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance)
    . Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

For any ideas that you have raised for which you do not find an entry, create one in the IDEA category so that others can also add their VOTE.

Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019

Another post by lablover57 here:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/quicken-for-mac-2019-v5-8-1-released?topic-reply...

"I have Version 5.9.1 (Build 59.25139.100).  I am now getting partial download errors, this has occurred after the latest update.  Very annoyed...."

As I've said in previous posts, these types of things are generally unrelated to the release.  We rarely change anything with bank downloads so most of the times it just seems like the release may have caused something. Bank connectivity is a fragile thing with lots of places that can break the connection.  1) If you're using Quicken Connect, these transactions are gathered via automated scripts.  If the bank changes their website, the scripts will break.  2) If you are using Direct Connect, the banks are running their own servers that Quicken communicates with.  They shut these servers down if they are doing maintenance or if they are investigating security issues with their website as they try to isolate where the issue is coming from. They don't tell us they are going to do this.  With over 14,500 financial institutions making changes daily, weekly or monthly, things break. Please do a search of your particular financial institution in these forums to see if others are also getting errors.  Also, please call our Care team to get help.  They are aware of the latest issues with bank downloads and can quickly confirm if that's the issue.  Support is included with your Quicken subscription and is always free.  If someone is trying to sell you support, then you've dialed the wrong number and they are trying to defraud you.
  • Quicken Marcus
    edited February 2019

Since there is no suggestion for improvement process for Quicken products, feel free to pas this on the the appropriate developers.

Suggestions for improvement to Quicken for Mac

1. When I go to reconcile my checking and savings account, the “Statement Ending Date” defaults to sometime in the dinosaur era. You need to fix it so it brings up either today’s date, the date of the last reconciliation, or the last ending date plus 30 days. Any of these would be better than some arbitrary date in the past.

2. When I go to enter a check, auto fill in the next check number based on the last one I wrote. I seem to remember this was standard for Quicken for Windows.

3. For those who work on a laptop, make it possible to hide all the items at the top of the main screen so all that appears is the registry. I do not need the name of the bank, the balance, the filters, etc.

4. In the Filter area, when selecting the dates for “custom dates”, make the last dates the default. It is a real pain to have a custom date then switch to say the “Last 60 days” then back to custom dates. Again the default dates are in the dinosaur era.

5. On the settings page for an account, the dropdown for scheduled transactions, the timeframe needs to be longer. I should have the option of more years. 

6. Same as above when creating/viewing a budget. I should be able to set my own dates and not be limited to 12 months.

7. When scheduling a transaction, the calendar needs to be separate from the date of payment. For example, if I select Schedule: monthly, then every month on the 12thday the minute the date on the calendar does not change (this is good). Then when I go to the calendar to select when to begin the payment (starting on or after), it changes the date I selected in part one of the process.

Here are some ana answers to your questions.
    1) Auto-filled Dates - There must be some sort of corruption with dates in your data file because Quicken won't pick some random old date in reconcile or reports as you describe.  It works as you propose.  Please call our Care team to help you find the issue. 

2) Auto-fill check number - The check number autofill occurs when you print checks using Quicken.  If you're manually entering in a transaction, Quicken doesn't know it's a check and therefore doesn't know to auto-update the check number.  I rarely use checks so possibly I'm missing something.

3) Remove Bank Name and Balance - Got it. In the interim, did you know you can pop out the register into its own window?  Just double-click on the Account name on the sidebar.  This will give you a little more space.  You can also tighten up the row heights by going to the View : Register Rows menu item.

4) Reports - Make Last Dates the Default - Again, I think there is an issue with dates in your data file.  When I just tried what you described I get YTD by default (1/1/2018 to 12/21/2018) for Custom Dates after I click on Last 60 days.  

5) Scheduled transactions time frame set to > year - Can you describe in more detail why you want to see scheduled transactions that go beyond a year.  I'm not sure I understand the use case.  That setting is used to define how many instances of the scheduled transaction you see in your register.  Do you really want to see >12 instances for each scheduled transaction?  If you made that change, then you wouldn't be able to see your current transactions.

6) Increase budget beyond 12 months. - The current budget can be as long as you want.  We are thinking of adding a limit but currently, there isn't one. Go to the Edit Budget screen and change the year.  It will then ask if you want Quicken to auto-fill based on historical data or your last budget, etc.  You can also change the viewing range and if it goes beyond your current budget, it will pop-up the Edit Budget screen and ask you the same question.

7) Schedule transaction start date changes the previous date - We're changing all of this in a future release but it works the way you describe because most people don't think of the start date and the actual payment date as being 2 different dates.  When they see the calendar, they think they are setting the day they want something to be paid. This is why we align the 2.  Most people didn't even notice there was the drop down for setting the day because all they saw was the calendar.

I think we support most of what you've asked for.  Please do call our Care team to see if they can uncover why the default dates are being set to "dinosaur" dates. This is not a normal thing.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited December 2018
    You fixed a bug on 12/30 ?  Are you just punching in things so that you look busy next week? ;-)

• macuser_22
    macuser_22 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I am still waiting for a investment transaction view column to show the security symbol that I have been asking for since the first release.

Also, since the change (a few updates ago) that does reinvestment of dividends in a single transaction, a column option to show the actual dollar amount of the reinvested dividend would be welcome.  As of now, the only way to see that is to edit the transaction which is a PITA.  Or at least display it in the existing "amount" column but don't add it to the balance.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

I am still waiting for a investment transaction view column to show the security symbol that I have been asking for since the first release.

Also, since the change (a few updates ago) that does reinvestment of dividends in a single transaction, a column option to show the actual dollar amount of the reinvested dividend would be welcome.  As of now, the only way to see that is to edit the transaction which is a PITA.  Or at least display it in the existing "amount" column but don't add it to the balance.

You can add your VOTE to Show Reinvested Dividends cash in Cash In and Cash Out columns   and Add Security Symbol column to investment accounts' transactions view.

First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests Related to Investments. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

• Bank
    Bank Member
    edited December 2018
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Incorrect running balance.

I just updated to Version 5.9.2 (Build 59.25153.100) on macOS 10.14.1 (Quicken Premier 2019).  After updating I found that a few or my registers seem to have incorrect running totals for checking, credit card, and share balances.  I reviewed each transaction since reconciling and confirmed that all transactions are correct and yet the running balance is incorrect.  Are others having this issue?
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I don't know if this is new with this version, but required "Investments" categories are missing in my dropdown menu. Specifically, I noticed that an automatic reinvestment of a mutual fund's Capital Gain distributions was set as Uncategorized. I wanted to set it to Investments:Reinvest Long-term Capital Gain" but this is not in my drop down menu and if I try typing it in the term is not recognized and reverts to Unclassified when I hit Save. I've attached a screen shot showing the Required Investments categories and that on the dropdown in my investment account the only choice is "ESPP Income" which is not a category I've ever used. I'm up to 5.9.2.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

I don't know if this is new with this version, but required "Investments" categories are missing in my dropdown menu. Specifically, I noticed that an automatic reinvestment of a mutual fund's Capital Gain distributions was set as Uncategorized. I wanted to set it to Investments:Reinvest Long-term Capital Gain" but this is not in my drop down menu and if I try typing it in the term is not recognized and reverts to Unclassified when I hit Save. I've attached a screen shot showing the Required Investments categories and that on the dropdown in my investment account the only choice is "ESPP Income" which is not a category I've ever used. I'm up to 5.9.2.

I want to add that this may have to do with "ins and outs" record keeping by Merrill Lynch. Also, perhaps my lack of understanding of how to categorize this. I don't like leaving "Uncategorized" transactions. I have attached another screen shot showing that each Capital Gains payment is both credited and subtracted. One downloads with the correct Category. Bottom line: I'm not sure this is an error with QM, but I also have no idea how to handle it if it's not. Also, don't know why an "ESPP Income" Category would be selectable, but no others.

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019

I just updated to Version 5.9.2 (Build 59.25153.100) on macOS 10.14.1 (Quicken Premier 2019).  After updating I found that a few or my registers seem to have incorrect running totals for checking, credit card, and share balances.  I reviewed each transaction since reconciling and confirmed that all transactions are correct and yet the running balance is incorrect.  Are others having this issue?

I just checked and I do have 3 accounts where the values seem off. However, I'm not sure it's new with 5.9.2 or that it won't correct itself. My Chase checking and two Citibank credit card balances are off. I do not believe these were off the last time I checked. To be clear, "Online Balance" is correct. It is "Today's Balance" that is off. 

Update: For one account I found the source of the discrepancy so it is now my Chase checking account and one Citibank credit card account that are off. After searching for the difference amount, I found a duplicated download in one of the credit card accounts. In the other 2 accounts the amount by which the account is off also match actual transactions, but I can't find any duplications, missing or uncleared transactions that would account for the error.
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited February 2019

BTW, there are plenty of suggestions posted in this forum. You can browse through the IDEAS section of this forum and VOTE for the request of each of the missing features to be added back into Quicken for Mac....to help direct the priorities of the developers.

To do that click on this underlined linkfollowing the instructions then VOTE to your heart's content

EXPANDED List of Categorized IDEAS of Feature Requests and Enhancements to Vote On

These lists only capture and categorize about 70% of all the IDEAs in this section. Read this FAQ to learn how to see them all:
    How to Filter Conversations/Discussion Threads on this Forum (to see only what you want)

Re: #2, you can go to the next cheque # by pressing the +/- keys while in the Cheque # field. 

You may want to add your VOTE to Remember and apply start/end dates (for #1)Customizable Reminder Selection (for #6)First, click on each underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THAT feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

List of Requests for Bill Reminders (aka Scheduled Transactions) and Graph Features (aka Cash Flow Forecast or Projected Balance)
    . Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

For any ideas that you have raised for which you do not find an entry, create one in the IDEA category so that others can also add their VOTE.

Your VOTES matter!

hello-i am a new user-in my 50's (not a techie at all) want to hire someone local to set up quicken basic for home/personal use-just spending/expenses-i bought the guidebook from amazon
    -I don't have any patience to figure out how to configure it-couldn't even figure out how to send you this question -so am sending it as a comment-put an ad in kijiji-no one replied-noticed that there are many people who know how to use quickbooks, but not quicken-quickbooks is too expensive and i dont need all its features-hope you can help me or refer me to someone-i live in burlington ontario-thank you.
  • jacobs
    edited December 2018

Your VOTES matter!

Anita, I don't know if you'll find the help you're looking for here, but there's no harm in trying. This forum is mostly a user-to-user support forum. So you'd need your request to be seen by someone near you who is knowledgeable about Quicken and would take this job to set up and train you.

One question: this thread is about Quicken for Mac; is that what you have? Unfortunately, whatever book you found on Amazon is about Quicken for Windows (the are no books about Quicken Mac), and will do you no good. If that's the case, you should see if you can return the book.

Here's what I suggest: it's unlikely to find someone when your post is buried in this thread about issues with the latest release of Quicken Mac, so you need to make a new topic that stands alone. Here's how:
    • Go up to your post above this, select all the text, and Copy.
    • Now click the New Post link at the very top of this page.
    • Create a clear headline/title for your post, such as "Seeking someone near Burlington, ON for Quicken Mac set-up help". Click the "Next" button.
    • When the page loads, click the blue "Post with this Title".
    • On the next page, click the Question icon, then click in the Description field and Paste the text you copied from above.
    • Select one or more categories in the Related Categories box; I'd suggest "New to Quicken/Getting Started (Mac)" and "All things Canadian".
    • Finally, click Post.
    Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.