Options
2»

Comments

• Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    RCinNJ said:
    I no longer see a way to respond to posts below the original. I am responding to Jacobs post and link:

"Here is the thread asking for such a feature for a very long time." 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7351929/add-ability-to-change-font-settings-size-font-color-etc-in-quicken-for-mac 

I may be alone in finding the new forum format confusing and limited (others appear not to find it so). In any case, I followed Jacobs' link and no longer see a way to vote, or any record of the votes this feature request has received. If this ability to vote has indeed been lost, I believe any discussion of whether the number of votes for a feature request will increase the likelihood of its been implemented is moot.
    If you quote the post, you can respond to it, but I get your point.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I may be alone in finding the new forum format confusing and limited (others appear not to find it so).
    @RCinNJ: don't mistake that people are using the forum for (a) understanding it all, or (b) liking the way it organizes threads and categories!

I don't know what happened behind the scenes with Quicken and GetSatisfaction, but it seems the planned migration to this new forum software suddenly was rushed to be completed by the end of January, and so some private testing, adjusting and fine-tuning that should have happened before going live is now taking place as we're all trying to figure out how to use it. (It doesn't help that it happened a day before a weekend, and the forum manager appears not to be working over the weekend, so the time for some of the configuration and aesthetic issues to get resolved is stretched out.)

Among the features that are missing in action is voting on threads. We've been told this is coming soon, but they have to recategorize the idea threads, and then perhaps bring in the old vote totals if that's possible. So all the hundreds of messages imported from the old forum urging people to vote are currently completely confusing, because there is no way to vote yet on this forum. Hopefully that will be fixed soon.
    I no longer see a way to respond to posts below the original.
    For what it's worth, I'm also finding the inability to reply under a post you wish to reply to a pain, too. I think the key to working this way is to use the quote feature (and edit the quoted post down to the essential sentence or two you're replying to, as I did at the top of this post) or to copy some text from a post you want to reply to, paste it into a new post, highlight it, and use the Paragraph icon drop-down in the post formatting menu to select Quote (as I did above this paragraph).

It's somewhat workable, but in a thread with a lot of different messages, it can get pretty confusing to follow (for the original poster as well as the responder).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Familly Moreau
    Familly Moreau Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    There is a bug with QFX import when the currency is EUR.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create a new account in QM, set the currency to EUR.
    2. Create a QFX file for that account, set <CURDEF> to EUR.
    3. Import the QFX file.
    4. The currency for the account has now switched to USD.
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    jacobs said:
    I may be alone in finding the new forum format confusing and limited (others appear not to find it so).
    @RCinNJ: don't mistake that people are using the forum for (a) understanding it all, or (b) liking the way it organizes threads and categories!

I don't know what happened behind the scenes with Quicken and GetSatisfaction, but it seems the planned migration to this new forum software suddenly was rushed to be completed by the end of January, and so some private testing, adjusting and fine-tuning that should have happened before going live is now taking place as we're all trying to figure out how to use it. (It doesn't help that it happened a day before a weekend, and the forum manager appears not to be working over the weekend, so the time for some of the configuration and aesthetic issues to get resolved is stretched out.)

Among the features that are missing in action is voting on threads. We've been told this is coming soon, but they have to recategorize the idea threads, and then perhaps bring in the old vote totals if that's possible. So all the hundreds of messages imported from the old forum urging people to vote are currently completely confusing, because there is no way to vote yet on this forum. Hopefully that will be fixed soon.
    I no longer see a way to respond to posts below the original.
    For what it's worth, I'm also finding the inability to reply under a post you wish to reply to a pain, too. I think the key to working this way is to use the quote feature (and edit the quoted post down to the essential sentence or two you're replying to, as I did at the top of this post) or to copy some text from a post you want to reply to, paste it into a new post, highlight it, and use the Paragraph icon drop-down in the post formatting menu to select Quote (as I did above this paragraph).

It's somewhat workable, but in a thread with a lot of different messages, it can get pretty confusing to follow (for the original poster as well as the responder).

I agree with Jacobs.  I find this current feedback system far inferior to what we had with Getsatisfaction, and look forward to seeing this forum improved.  
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    All of a sudden one of the Auto subcategories  (Auto:Accessories) is now in the "income" area when I click on 1 month.  In the 12 month view, everything is in the correct place.   The 1 month view is actually worthless because there is no way of collapsing the subcategories and if you think those bars are helpful information, they aren't.  

I have this issue of the subcategory expense registering as income, as well.  I used the 'Report a Problem' option from the Help menu to report. It was my understanding that this was the preferred method by Quicken for feedback. 

Quicken Deluxe Canada V5.10.1  Build 25438.100   MAC 10.14.2
  • jimcalgary
    jimcalgary Member ✭✭
    Options
    In the Calendar tab, when you increment the month with the arrow at the top right of the page, the calendar it self increments to the next month but the calendar name remains the same.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Options
    jacobs said:

... it seems the planned migration to this new forum software suddenly was rushed to be completed by the end of January,

think the key to working this way is to use the quote feature (and edit the quoted post down to the essential sentence or two you're replying to,....
    Yup, so far not liking the organization, nor finding it easy to manage workflows, replies, etc...

...rushed.... YAH! It sure seems that way...many things missed or not planned for.

re; Quoting - Because there is no reply directly under a specific post (unless it happens to be the last one), quoting is the only way to maintain context to a reply. BUT there is a FAR easier way to quote...

Under every post there is a "Quote  link. Every time you click on this, it automatically quotes the reply by that person into your reply, and it will format it accordingly. In fact, you can click on multiple replies and each one will get added to your existing reply. This is a great way to quote multiple replies in one. 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    Options
    smayer97 said:
    BUT there is a FAR easier way to quote... Under every post there is a Quote link. Every time you click on this, it automatically quotes the reply by that person into your reply, and it will format it accordingly.
    First, that's exactly what I said: there are two ways to quote from a reply, the first of which is to use the Quote link under the post.

I'll add that it is not always superior, however. For instance, I used quote to quote your reply above. It created multiple levels of quote (quoting you quoting me quoting RCinNJ), and trying to edit that down to a sentence with a single quote -- as I did above -- was impossible without switching to HTML mode and editing the code directly. In this case it would have been easier to copy the text I wanted, paste it, and then format it as a quote. Both methods are useful. 

To keep things readable, it will be important for users to only quote the relevant portion of posts in their replies. The Quote link under a post quotes the entire post, and almost always requires some editing to be useful. Copy, paste, and format as quote will sometimes be the easier way to achieve the results of a short quote.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @jacobsI misunderstood your initial post, pointing out both methods. 

BTW, I have had no need to switch to HTML to edit multi-layered quotes and do not find it complicated.

But it is good there are 2 different ways to approach it so we can choose whichever way we find easier.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JoeCool said:
    Just like Quicken, the new forum is the latest and greatest.

Best forum ever. 
    /sarcasm*/ ?   ;-)

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Snoopy FC said:
    jacobs said:
    Snoopy FC said:
    Anybody notice that the link in 5.10.1 takes you to nowhere?  It lands me on a Quicken "page not found" page.  Please address this missed link issue.  

@Snoopy FC just to clarify, you are referring to the Help menu link to Quicken Community, right? I agree, this is broken. I can also confirm this problem exists with Quicken 2017 and Quicken 2016.

I don't know if this is something that needs to be patched in the program code, or if it is something than can be fixed with a URL redirect on the new site. I submitted a bug report about it on the beta testing site, in case it's an application problem; I'm calling it to the attention of @Quicken Kathryn here in case it's a website problem.

Yes.  I'm referring to the link inside the Quicken desktop program.
    Thanks for letting us know.  I'll work with Quicken Kathryn to try to fix this on the server but if not I'll make the change in a future update.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    RCinNJ said:
    When I click "Post Comment", my comment disappears. Sorry if this is leading to multiple postings! However, I don't think the post I am talking about is posting. I was able to start this post, save it, and then add to it. Maybe there is something in what I was trying to post in my original message that is causing it not to be saved?

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like before I click "Post Comment" (and then disappears).

What I've been doing is starting a comment and then going back and clicking on "Quote" on the message I want to reply to.  This then adds the comment from the previous message in my comment so everyone can see the discussion flow.  I have also been editing other people's posts and doing the same thing.  Hopefully, everyone is OK with that but I think it's the only way to make this forum readable and understandable.
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    barbaraok said:
    barbaraok said:
    So you send out upgrades, now I can't get the budget feature to work.  For 12 months, it is ok, for 1 month all of a sudden some expenses are included as Income and I can't figure a way to get it fixed.   The whole 1 month budget view is HORRENDOUS.   Did you work overtime to figure out how to make something that is a totally dysfunctional?  Then add to that the fact that I couldn't log in and it wasn't just the password, it didn't like the username that I had been using!   To say I'm angry is to minimize my frustration.   And I have received an email from a friend asking if I could recommend Quicken to her!
    Can you provide more details about what specifically isn't working for you so we can reproduce the issue and fix?  I can see Personal Income: Paycheck and Personal income: Interest Earned appear in my 1-month budget.  Also, since we haven't changed or updated the 1-month budget view in years, can you provide an explanation of what makes it horrendous and dysfunctional to you and what if anything is working differently in 5.10 than it did in 5.9?
    All of a sudden one of the Auto subcategories  (Auto:Accessories) is now in the "income" area when I click on 1 month.  In the 12 month view, everything is in the correct place.   The 1 month view is actually worthless because there is no way of collapsing the subcategories and if you think those bars are helpful information, they aren't.  I don't know why you had to take a perfectly good budget setup in older versions and make it really unusable.  
    I had posted previously that I also have this issue that Barbaraok is having, but I don't see my comment showing up. I was using a subcategory and then I changed just to the parent for the new budget as I wasn't using the other subcategories anymore. This seemed to be where the issue started. I have gone back into the budget and fiddled around doing various things; zeroed out amounts in subcategory and the parent, fiddled with deactivating and reactivating the category in the list for items to include.  It now doesn't show in the Income area, but no items are being picked up in the actual bar of the budget report either.

One would think the parent 'total' in the edit budget feature would not be editable, but I have fixed a few issues by zeroing out the parent and subcategory amount totals in the budget and re-entering the sub category items so that it totals correctly.  It should be noted that I'm not remotely clear of the progression as I had originally converted from Windows and tried to enter a new budget as it hadn't carried over. 

Long time user, but getting weary of all the issues in budgets and investments with Mac, let alone getting used to new Community. But, onward and upward...keep pushing guys.  You already have my sanitized file from a few days back if you care to look. 
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    There is a bug with QFX import when the currency is EUR.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create a new account in QM, set the currency to EUR.
    2. Create a QFX file for that account, set <CURDEF> to EUR.
    3. Import the QFX file.
    4. The currency for the account has now switched to USD.
    I'm not sure.  If you're importing into an existing account, we don't override the account's currency setting just because QFX says it's a different currency.  Do you expect the currency to change everytime QFX is imported?
  • Quicken Marcus
    Options
    barbaraok said:
    barbaraok said:
    So you send out upgrades, now I can't get the budget feature to work.  For 12 months, it is ok, for 1 month all of a sudden some expenses are included as Income and I can't figure a way to get it fixed.   The whole 1 month budget view is HORRENDOUS.   Did you work overtime to figure out how to make something that is a totally dysfunctional?  Then add to that the fact that I couldn't log in and it wasn't just the password, it didn't like the username that I had been using!   To say I'm angry is to minimize my frustration.   And I have received an email from a friend asking if I could recommend Quicken to her!
    Can you provide more details about what specifically isn't working for you so we can reproduce the issue and fix?  I can see Personal Income: Paycheck and Personal income: Interest Earned appear in my 1-month budget.  Also, since we haven't changed or updated the 1-month budget view in years, can you provide an explanation of what makes it horrendous and dysfunctional to you and what if anything is working differently in 5.10 than it did in 5.9?
    All of a sudden one of the Auto subcategories  (Auto:Accessories) is now in the "income" area when I click on 1 month.  In the 12 month view, everything is in the correct place.   The 1 month view is actually worthless because there is no way of collapsing the subcategories and if you think those bars are helpful information, they aren't.  I don't know why you had to take a perfectly good budget setup in older versions and make it really unusable.  
    willi said:
    All of a sudden one of the Auto subcategories  (Auto:Accessories) is now in the "income" area when I click on 1 month.  In the 12 month view, everything is in the correct place.   The 1 month view is actually worthless because there is no way of collapsing the subcategories and if you think those bars are helpful information, they aren't.  

I have this issue of the subcategory expense registering as income, as well.  I used the 'Report a Problem' option from the Help menu to report. It was my understanding that this was the preferred method by Quicken for feedback. 

Quicken Deluxe Canada V5.10.1  Build 25438.100   MAC 10.14.2
    Willi, thanks for sharing your file.  Because Willi shared her file we were able to figure out the issue. The bottom line is that this is not a bug.  In the Edit Budget screen, Quicken expects expense items to be positive numbers.  If you enter in a negative number, Quicken interprets this to be the opposite of an expense or, in other words, an income item. If you want the 1-Month budget to have something show up under  the expense section, you have to enter in positive numbers for expense categories.  To fix the issue, go to the Edit Budget screen and change the expense items to positive numbers and it will work as you expect.  I agree this is a little confusing but this is the way it works today.  Thanks to you both for reporting this issue and I hope this helps.

• bfrank
    bfrank Member ✭✭
    Options
    Please put back the keyboard shortcut for "Reconcile Account..."

Cmd+R

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    bfrank said:

I'm not sure it was removed. But in any case, you can put it back yourself. See this:

macOS Custom Keyboard Shortcuts

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bfrank said:

Cmd+R
    No. No. No!

The shortcut is Command-Y.

PS: I think this definition is from Quicken for Mac 2007. And yes, I have applied this shortcut using RickO's procedure.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • jacobs
    Options
    For what it's worth... in Quicken 2007, Command-R is Replace and Command-Y is Memorize Transaction.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jacobs said:
    For what it's worth... in Quicken 2007, Command-R is Replace and Command-Y is Memorize Transaction.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Guess I invented the Command-Y myself (I never used Memorize Transaction) - but I missed it when I moved from Quicken 2007 and thus resorted to macOS Custom Keyboard Shortcuts to resurrect it.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    Options
    So glad to see the column/crosstab report - this was a major stopping point to me for switching 100% from QM2007 but now I am giving it serious thought.

One "small" request regarding column reports - I think it'd might make them easier to follow if there were some dividing lines (as in QM2007) btw the sub-categories? What do others think?

Thanks!
  • jsurpless
    jsurpless Member ✭✭
    Options
    One other comment (and I believe this is already in requested features) is that transfers to accounts outside a report need to show up in a report.  Right now, my 401k contributions and mortgage principle payments aren't included in reports
  • ninaz
    ninaz Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Marcus. Some time ago I asked a question about Quicken working with Synchrony Bank because I was getting duplicate downloads. You or someone moved the question to the latest release and said you would look into it. I just updated to the latest release and it is still happening.  I wonder if there is any update on your interacting with Synchrony.
This discussion has been closed.