Upgrade from Quicken 2007?

Options
I've been using Quicken 2007 for many years and ignored all the attempts to sell me upgrades because it was working well for me.  I just upgraded my MAC to High Sierra OS and can't save the Quicken file after I reconcile.  I assume I have to upgrade to one of the subscription programs...the big question is, will the new software integrate my past history with Quicken 2007

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should update the category question to Mac to get a valid response.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you have QM2007 LC version (v16.1.x or greater) it still works on HIgh Sierra (in fact it still works on Mojave too, macOS 10.14, though this will probably be the last macOS version on which it will work). If so, you are most likely just running into the Auto-Backup feature that is incompatible with the lastest version of Apple's new drive format, APFS. Note that all built-in file related functions in QM2007 are incompatible with APFS (Save a Copy, Backup to disk, etc). 

The work-around is to either simply turn off the Auto-Backup in the preferences or to store your data and backups on a HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) formatted drive or partition. 

You can read more about this in these threads:

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, you have 2 choices: Buy the subscription to Quicken for Mac or continue to use Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible version.

I suggest that you make sure that the subscription for Quicken for Mac will meet your needs, since it is not an upgrade from QM2007 but rather from Quicken Essentials (which was re-written from the ground up, starting in 2010, then continued with QM2015 onward), so there are some features that are still not there e.g. full loan amortization*, 2-line display, QuickMath, or are not as fully developed yet, e.g. Customized Reports, performance reports and stats (therefore some data may not carry over). You can start here:

*NOTE: Support for fixed rate loans has been released as of  QM2017 v4.5.x but there is no announced timing for support for variable rate or simple daily interest loans.

Currently, the main advantages of subscription to Quicken for Mac over QM2007 include the ability to sync cash, bank, and credit card accounts using Quicken Mobile for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and the ability to save receipts with transactions via computer or mobile device. There are a few other minor features that QM2007 does not have. Note that online access is supposed to continue as long as the FI/Bank supports it and their security updates don't prevent it.

Please note that Quicken for Mac is now a subscription-based product currently available for 1 year directly from Quicken or 2 yrs from retailers (which are often cheaper than Quicken). (If you are able to find QM2017 which is a pre-subscription product, it is supported until April 2020), whereas currently QM2007 will continue to work as long as your FIs/Banks support it, so keep that in mind. 

Add your vote to any features that are missing for you. Your VOTES matter!

Be aware of data that will and will not carry forward: 
    Then look at the updates since the original release here:
    You will also want to look at a more detailed comparison done by a SuperUser which also identifies nuances not mentioned elsewhere (and read on for comments from other users too on that same discussion thread): 
    Take a look at the following videos to give you a better idea:

Note that there are many differences that are rather subtle, that are not necessarily identifiable via documentation, for example, the 12-month budget feature does not allow including transfers, including investment income, selecting specific accounts, etc.

If you find that subscription to Quicken for Mac does not meet your needs, the alternative is to obtain and run QM2007 Lion Compatible (LC), which will run on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to 10.1Mojave (so far*), though be aware that is probably will stop working on the next version of macOS in the Fall of 2019 (the alternative would be to use a virtual machine). 

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.