Converting Mac 2007 to 2016 File Errors

This discussion was created from comments split from: How do I convert from Quicken 2007 for Mac to Quicken 2016 for Mac.

Comments

• GKawa
    GKawa Member
    Even with Quicken support, I am unable to open any 2007 files in 2016.  When I try to convert the file with the entire "new", "from 2007",  the conversion gets to a certain port and then says "cannot import the file".  Can anyone give me any insights? I've rebooted, reinstalled, tried backup files, and Quicken support can't help.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know what support directed you to try and not saying that the following will help but have you tried re-indexing your data file before migrating?

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Reindex: open the Accounts window and then simultaneously press the Command, Option and B keys on the keyboard.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Maryshka
    Maryshka Member
    I was having the same problem trying to convert Mac 2007 to Mac 2017.  I kept getting an error message.  I finally went to my 2007 Quicken and did a "save a copy."  It will ask you what dates you would like to save.  Mine started in 10/31/96.  Then I reinstalled Quicken 2017 and used that "saved copy" to importing into Quicken 2017.  It took a while, but it worked!  Good luck
  • Quicken Harold
    Quicken Harold Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Maryshka. Just a thought to consider...

You could also do a Backup to Disk (File > Backup to Disk) and save the complete .QDFM file onto your Desktop or Documents folder.  Then I would go in and try importing this file into 2017. You would be able to have everything except for just a date period.

Just my two cents.
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Quicken Harold Quicken 2007 Backup simply makes a copy of the data file, where Save a Copy rewrites the data file record by record, which clears up some file corruption problems that a simple backup will not. They're two different things. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.