Remove closed accounts from the Bill and Income Reminders window account dropdown list

Options
Craig I
Craig I Member ✭✭
When I open new accounts they show up in the "For Account" drop down list on the "Bill and Income Reminders" window.  However, when I close old accounts they never go away.  I have hidden and closed the accounts in Tools>Manage Hidden Accounts.  Over the years as I've added new accounts this drop down list is getting very cluttered...showing some accounts I have closed 15-20 years ago.

I tried a chat with the Quicken help desk and they determined there is no way to remove the hidden/closed accounts from that list.

When I asked if they could get input to the development team they said they didn't have way to do that and directed me to the Quicken Community to try suggesting here.

This seems like a simple fix and has been a frustation for 20 years...hopefully the Quicken developers can fix this bug.
14 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depending on the Quicken version you are currently using ... you are right. Account registers marked "closed" or "hide in transaction entry lists" should not appear in any account selection list either.
    Until the programmers get around to fixing it in the current (2019) or a future version of Quicken I recommend you do this:
    Rename each closed account and add a "~"(tilde) or "zz" to the start of the account name, e.g., rename "ABC Checking" to "~ABC Checking".
    This sorts each closed account to the bottom of any alphabetically sorted selection list and makes it less likely to get selected by mistake.

If you would like to see this enhancement made in a future version of Quicken please vote on it. Locate the big blue box near the top of this webpage (or page 1 for long discussions) and click the "Up" triangle under the voting count. Wait a moment for the vote count to be registered and updated before you continue.

Every vote counts!

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From C. D. Bales:
    "When I open new accounts they show up in the "For Account" drop down list on the "Bill and Income Reminders" window.  However, when I close old accounts they never go away."

As I understand your statement, I can find no evidence of your claim.

Assuming the "Bill and Income Reminders" window is what you see when you go to Tools > Manage Bill & Income Reminders; I do not see any closed account in the "From Account" or "To Account" dropdowns for adding a new Reminder (Income, Bill, or Transfer) or Editing an existing Reminder. [I couldn't locate a "For Account" dropdown.]

If you are referring to some other "dropdown list", please explain exactly how you get to that dropdown.

When you close an account, Quicken puts a check mark in the "Hide in transaction entry lists" box (and only that "Display Options" box). In my tests. Whenever that box is checked (by closing an account, or keeping the account open and manually checking the box), the account does not appear in any Manage Bill and Income Reminders dropdown, nor in the Account dropdown in the All Accounts pseudo register.

I do see closed accounts in the Spending Tab account dropdown, and in the option to select accounts for a Budget - but once I elect to "Keep This Account Separate", the account does not appear in either of those places.

"Over the years as I've added new accounts this drop down list is getting very cluttered...showing some accounts I have closed 15-20 years ago."

The ability to "close" Quicken accounts did not exist before Q2013. Neither did the separate option to "Hide in transaction entry lists".

But, while you could not "close" a Quicken account prior to Q2013; in Q2012, you could keep an account from appearing in "transaction entry lists" by choosing "Hide this account in Quicken (lists, menus, reports)". When that option was checked, the account did not appear in Account "transaction entry lists" (either in Manage Bill and Income Reminders, or in the Account dropdown in the All Transactions pseudo-register, or in the account dropdown on the Spending tab. 

[Q2019 R18.16 and Q2012 R7]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Craig I
    Craig I Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you UKR...cleaver workaround until it gets fixed
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.