Extend Current Subscription With Retail 2018 Deluxe Purchase

Will the retail box "Quicken 2018 Manage Your Money & Save Deluxe Windows & Mac 2-Year Membership" extend a current Deluxe subscription that expires in less than 6 months?

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Q product are you currently running?  What product year?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Leon McKee
    Leon McKee Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe 2019 on the Mac
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    QM2018 will automatically upgrade itself to QM2019 (which you already have) upon installation.
    SO, the answer to your question is NO, it won't extend your subscription.
    BUT, if you shop around, you can usually find better pricing for Q products at Amazon, WalMart, eBay etc that you'll find from Q itself.  You'll need to wait until you're closer to expiration to purchase them.
    Also note, that if you buy directly from Q, you subscription starts on PURCHASE date, while if you buy from a 3rd party the subscription starts on INSTALL date.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @NotACPA I think Leon is describing a retail package of Quicken 2018 from a third party. If it is a retail box with an activation code, I believe it would extend a current subscription. The current subscription has less than 6 months remaining, which is necessary to extend a subscription. The only limitation is that starting in 2018, the activation codes expire 24 months after being generated (to prevent users from stocking up on old versions at sale prices and using them for many years), but I don't think we've reached 24 months from when Quicken began using expiring activation codes.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Leon McKee
    Leon McKee Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    @jacobs - Thanks! That's exactly what I'm asking :-)

Leon McKee
  • Leon McKee
    Leon McKee Member ✭✭✭
    So, purchased a retail box and tried to activate... Received the expired message so I contacted support via chat. What a disaster! The end story is that I'm returning to the retailer and letting them deal with Quicken.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting...
    Waiting for agent...

Jul 5, 2019, 1:16pm
    Thanks for chatting.
    MeJul 5, 2019, 1:17pm
    Just tried to enter the activation code from a 2018 Deluxe and got the expired message. What do I do? Here's the code: REDACTED THE CODE

Agent joined conversation

Jul 5, 2019, 1:20pm
    Hi, thank you for getting in touch with Quicken Support this is Diego, can you be so kind to provide me with your first and last name, your phone number and e-mail address?

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:21pm
    Leon McKee REDACTED MY CONTACT INFO

Jul 5, 2019, 1:21pm
    Thanks for that information.

The code you provided me with has expired it was valid until 7/1/2019

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:23pm
    So, what do I do now?

Jul 5, 2019, 1:23pm
    in this case you will need to buy Quicken again

we have a yearly subscription

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:24pm
    This is a code from a retail package for Quicken. What do you mean buy again?

Quicken 2018 Deluxe. This is 2019 so how is it that a 2018 code has expired? What do I need to do to get a replacement code?

HELLO?

Jul 5, 2019, 1:27pm
    Where exactly did you get the code from?

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:28pm
    I purchased it from someone who purchased but never installed. Not sure why that would matter as this is a legit product purchase.

I broke the seal and tried the code. That simple.

Jul 5, 2019, 1:29pm
    The thing is that the person or retailer that sold you this product had activated the code already

the code was already used

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:29pm
    The package said nothing about expiring?

NO

The package was sealed!

I have screen shots!

Jul 5, 2019, 1:30pm
    I understand that the package was sealed, but the code was already used

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:30pm
    Shows the code is legit and then gives the expired notice.

I'm a CS Engineer so I'm not your average user. It was NOT used. I'm also a Mac Quicken customer since the beginning. Eplain to me how the code was used?

Again, I have screen shots!

Just too verify. Your system shows this code as used?

Jul 5, 2019, 1:33pm
    In this case you will need to go to your retailer and ask for a refund

yes, the system shows the code as used and expired

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:33pm
    No. Used and Expired are not the same thing!

If it's expired you should replace it! If it's used then that's another matter.

Jul 5, 2019, 1:34pm
    nobody said used and expired are the same thing

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:34pm
    Do you have a way for me to enter my screen shots into record?

Jul 5, 2019, 1:34pm
    that's why you use the "and" to separate 2 words

yes, please go to the following link:
    https://www.quicken.com/refunds

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:35pm
    Please provide your ID information as I'm going to export this to PDF and go t the next level.

Jul 5, 2019, 1:36pm
    you will need to apply for a refund and purchase Quicken again please, I understand that you are trying to use Quicken and I am really sorry for this incovenience but that's all we can do

Again my name is Diego

Do you have any other question?

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:40pm
    I can't beleive this is how Quicken now treats customers. I guess everything I've been reading is true. What a shame to say the least. Makes me feel like I'm a criminal or something. I'm stunned. I'll simply return the product to the retailer and leave negative feedback with screenshots.

Jul 5, 2019, 1:43pm
    I am really sorry that you had this inconvenience, in this case something else you can do will be ask for a refund to your retailer since the code shows that has been used for future references you can buy Quicken directly at: https://www.quicken.com/compare

MeJul 5, 2019, 1:43pm
    ...and a complete copy of my customer service lack-of-service experience.

Jul 5, 2019, 1:48pm
    While we weren't able to resolve your issue at this time, I hope that I have provided reasonable support to address your needs.
  • jacobs
    edited July 2019
    @Leon McKee I just posted in the other thread where you wrote about this. 

I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing: where did you purchase this copy of Quicken? Was it a bricks-and-mortar store, a site like Amazon, or a site like eBay? As I noted in the other thread, there are eBay sellers who can re-shrink wrap boxes to make them seem new when they actually aren't -- something that may not matter much, or at all, for many products, but which renders products with a one-time activation code worthless. If the seller didn't know there's an activation code, and figures the CD inside will work for whoever uses it -- as was true prior to Quicken 2018 -- they might not know they're reselling a unusable product. I'm not saying that's definitively what happened in your case, just suggesting that's a possibility.

I suppose it's also possible Quicken decided to expire all Quicken 2018 activation codes on July 1, 2019 without telling anyone, but that seems less likely. I agree that the support agent wasn't crystal clear, but if he/she was saying it shows in their system as used, if that's correct, then that's probably the bottom line of the issue.
  • Leon McKee
    Leon McKee Member ✭✭✭
    Product was sealed with a factory seal. No issues with other copies sold until 7/1 and then this happens. This is all about expiring codes in retail packaging. See attached!
  • Leon McKee
    Leon McKee Member ✭✭✭
  • Leon McKee
    Leon McKee Member ✭✭✭
    The following link shows the release announcement:

https://www.quicken.com/content/quicken-launches-2018-product-line

I may have only 3 degrees, but even I can count forward 24 months from Oct. 23, 2017.
  • Leon McKee
    Leon McKee Member ✭✭✭
    Check out the Deluxe prices between being logged in and being logged out. $99.99 verses $69.99 for the two-year plan. The announcement price was $79.99. Something is VERY fishy!
  • Leon McKee
    Leon McKee Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    BTW - I get that this is a user-to-user forum. Just venting as I can see the hand-writing on the wall! I've only kept .qdfm files since the year 2000, but I've been a Quicken user since the very beginning.

Leon McKee
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As posted in the other thread (not sure why there needs to be 2 on the same topic at the same time), I am inquiring about this with Quicken....

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    You didn't answer where you purchased this copy of Quicken.

What do you mean it was "factory sealed"? As I noted, it's not that hard to shrinkwrap a box if you're in the business of doing so. Was the factory seal something else which assured you the box itself had never been opened?

I'm not certain that the chat support rep's statement about the code being expired is a smoking gun, either. It could be that their system shows an already-used code as being "expired". 

If you purchased Quicken within the past 30 days, you can get a full refund from Quicken with proof of purchase -- but I think that only applies to Quicken 2019, as Quicken 2018 is not officially sold anymore by authorized retailers. If you purchased from someone on eBay, I don't think the money-back guarantee applies. 

Also, there was no 24-month policy in place when Quicken 2018 was shipping; it only took effect with the boxed copies of Quicken 2019.

P.S. I want to be clear that I'm not saying that what you're saying happened didn't happen. Stranger things have happened at Quicken than someone deciding to expire all the 2018 codes, even though there was no statement about it and no reason for a buyer to suspect it. 

P.P.S. Going forward, can you confine your posts on this issue to this thread or the other one, but not both at the same time? Thanks.
  • Leon McKee
    Leon McKee Member ✭✭✭
    @jacobs

I did purchase my copy from a liquidator business. I was not the first as many copies had been sold, but my issue was the first to occur based on published feedback. I have pursued a refund and will simply move on. Thanks!

Leon McKee
This discussion has been closed.