Quicken for Mac v5.11 Released

124»

Comments

• Lysander Spooner
    Lysander Spooner Member ✭✭✭✭
    On a positive note, 5.11 has been very stable for the uses I have. But I don't use every feature in Q so YMMV B)
  • Jim38@
    Jim38@ Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus, can you provide us with any timeline updates?

> @Quicken Marcus said:
    > Jim said:
    >
    >
    > Every time the New Version of Quicken pop-up appears on my desktop, I get extremely excited...eagerly hopeful that my Mac version of Quicken has finally been updated to track selective account transfers within the budget. Reality eventually sets in. Nope...still a Windows version only feature. Sadness.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This is a top priority for us as well but unfortunately, it's a big big change and will take many months to do.  The plan is that once we get through some of the infrastructure work we're doing now, we'll turn our full attention back to budgets and will redo a bunch of stuff.  In the short term, we'll probably try to allow filtering of accounts which will allow one to include one side of the transfer so that the transfers don't cancel each other out.  For example, one can include their checking account and exclude the loan account so that the mortgage payment appears in the budget.
  • KimVanCamp
    KimVanCamp Member
    I'm experiencing frequent crashes with 5.11.1. Never had a stability problem before. Anyone else seeing the same?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @KimVanCamp Yes, other users are reporting frequent crashes with the 5.11.1 release. See here and here

Since this doesn't seem to be universally affecting users running 5.11.1, it would be good for users experiencing this problem to reach out to Quicken Support to try to make them aware of the problem and, with luck, have them escalate it to the product team. 

You should also report it directly using the Report a Problem option on the Quicken Help menu. You won't get any response from posting there, but it's the most direct way to get it to the developers. But if the person who reads your report can't replicate the problem, it may not go anywhere. This is why it's important for anyone having they problem to report it -- the more similar reports they get, the better the chance someone at Quicken will realize there's a bona fide problem.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I saw this thread and though myself lucky. I hadn't had any trouble until today. Quicken 5.11.1 was running while I was away from my computer. Perhaps it crashed when my computer went to sleep? I sent a crash report and also through "Report A Problem".
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    I'm experiencing frequent crashes with 5.11.1. Never had a stability problem before. Anyone else seeing the same?
    Kim, Thanks for reporting this issue and for sending us your crash log.  We investigated this crash and it appears that the AMD Radeon video display driver is crashing or causing the crash.  At least this is what our crash logs are showing.  Specifically, your crash log is pointing to this driver: AMDRadeonX4000GLDriver.  The people running into this crash are using the following machines: MacBookPro11,5 / MacBookPro13,3 / MacBookPro14,3 / MacBookPro15,1 which probably use that video chip. 

I can't imagine that every Quicken customer running the above machines are crashing since there have only been 59 people reporting the crash.  My assumption is that we would see a lot more crashes.  This leads me to believe that it's a combination of things that is the root cause of the problem: Quicken, the above machines, the video driver and one other application or hardware device.

We see the crash on versions 5.10, 5.11 and 5.11.1 so it doesn't appear to be related to anything we added to 5.11.1 but since some customers are only seeing it after we launched 5.11.1 possibly it's something else they loaded on their machines on or after July 1st when we shipped 5.11.1. For those of you running into this issue, do you remember adding anything to your computer around 7/1 or are you crashing on a specific screen in Quicken?
  • Quicken Marcus
    I was just reading through the other threads that Jacobs sighted above and in one of them they mentioned signing out and signing back in fixed their issue so I wanted to make sure I mentioned that here.  I don't think that would fix the issue I mention above about the video driver but you never know.  Please respond back if that fixed the issue for those reporting the crash in this thread.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    Marcus, I added a program called NeoFinder a couple of days before updating to 5.11.1. I have only had the one crash (so far).
  • Quicken Marcus
    We've been brainstorming more and looking at our code and we think the video driver could crash because of our attachment feature.  The attachment feature uses old technology that Apple has recommended be replaced with the latest version of this software.  If this is the culprit, our plan would be to fix this in 2 phases.  The first would be a low-risk fix that we could ship quickly that would basically only load that technology when an attachment is displayed.  Our hope is that this would isolate the crash to viewing attachments instead of crashing all the time when just viewing one's accounts. The second phase would be to replace that old technology but this will take a lot more time to create and test. We're not sure phase 1 works since we've never been able to replicate the issue in-house but I've asked a number of customers who reported their crashes to us to try the new version.  I'll report back their findings.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Thanks to all of you who have tested the special version of Quicken to see if it addressed the crash. The fix appears to work. There actually appears to be two ways to fix this crash. 1) Reboot your Mac. I've had a few reports from customers that rebooting seemed to work or 2) Install version 5.11.2.  It's not an"official" release but if rebooting your Mac doesn't work and you continue to crash constantly it's worth a try. Click here to download 5.11.2.
This discussion has been closed.