remove several years of old entries (Q Mac)

ddcc
ddcc Member
I have transactions dating back 20 years and would l would like to set up a new database that contains only date starting 1/1/2019. How do I do that?

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    There isn't a simple way to do this as there is no Year End Copy Function in recent versions of Quicken for Mac. And even if it did exist, there are caveats to how it worked, (investment accounts, uncleared transactions, etc.)

You could create a new data file, but you likely would only get 90 days of history for downloaded accounts. You would be staring from scratch.

You could save a copy of your existing file and delete older transactions, but then you would have to create adjusting balances for each account to make sure the final balance is correct. Obviously, this would not work so well with investment accounts and positions you might hold.

The general suggestion is to just let the data build and not worry about deleting out the older history. You might need it some day.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    Answer ✓
    There isn't a simple way to do this as there is no Year End Copy Function in recent versions of Quicken for Mac. And even if it did exist, there are caveats to how it worked, (investment accounts, uncleared transactions, etc.)

You could create a new data file, but you likely would only get 90 days of history for downloaded accounts. You would be staring from scratch.

You could save a copy of your existing file and delete older transactions, but then you would have to create adjusting balances for each account to make sure the final balance is correct. Obviously, this would not work so well with investment accounts and positions you might hold.

The general suggestion is to just let the data build and not worry about deleting out the older history. You might need it some day.
  • ddcc
    ddcc Member
    Thanks very much John.

Different question. (Do I need to start a new string?)

I just downloaded data from two bank checking accounts and I only got 3 months transactions. Is that a Quicken limit and if so is there a way around this?
  • John_in_NC
    This string/thread is fine. 

You can't spec how much older data you get as this is likely a bank controlled issue. Some banks might provide more history, but 3 months is typical. You/Quicken can't "ask" for more data if that is what you mean.

Most of the regulars here have data files approaching 30 years of history. There is nothing wrong with that. Performance isn't likely impacted unless you are a very unique user (day trader, have hundreds of unique transactions daily, etc.) 
  • ddcc
    ddcc Member
    This is my first day on the Discussion Forum, and I am impressed and delighted by the fast, useful response. Thanks, everyone!

Re " List of Requests for Data and I get a "page's address isn't valid" error message" so I can't vote. :s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @ddcc The link above has been fixed; you can click on it now.

Note that the first link above (Add "Save a Copy" feature similar to "Year End Copy") is the one directly related to your issue, so you should click that and cast your vote. The second link (List of Requests for Data and File Management Features) will take you to a page which lists a number of other topics related to data file storage which you can click on to vote on if you wish.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs Thx. Not sure what I missed.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.