Merge support for importing data from US and CA FIs/Banks for US and CA versions of QWin (+17 Votes)

smayer97
smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Product Enhancements
The QMac version currently supports the ability to import data from both US AND CA FIs/banks in one version (though currently, not as many as QWin).

It would be great if Quicken engaged the FIs/Banks to work on merging the support to be able to do the same regardless of which country version of QWin users have.

(after all, QWin for US and CA do now use the same code base, so it would seem like a hopefully straightforward technical thing to implement).

So please make it possible to access both US and CA FIs/banks in either QWin-US or QWin-CA versions.

If you find this feature helpful, please be sure to click the small triangle under the "VOTE" count in the blue banner below to increase the count of this post and therefore its visibility to other users and to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.
(If the triangle is solid black, your vote has already been counted).

If you do not click the VOTE count in the blue banner, your vote will NOT be counted! Your VOTE matters!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

32 votes

Planned · Last Updated

10/4/2020 This request has been accepted and added to the Development roadmap for future implementation. At this time there is not an ETA on when this feature will be available. CTP-978

Comments

• cb20777
    cb20777 Member
    Sounds like a great idea. But I do NOT see how to 1) VOTE, nor 2) FOLLOW.

I've been using Quicken forever (well since sometime in the 80's).  I just upgraded from 2015 to 2019 and the subscription based model.  I run the US version of Quicken and most of my accounts are with US entities, but I do have some Canadian accounts (checking, savings, credit card) with TD and RBC.  I was quite surprised and disappointed that my TD Canada Trust QFX files could not be read by my US Quicken.

I did notice that there are folks out there selling A QFX to QIF converter. The QFX format seems like some bastardized spin-off of XML and is tolerably "readable".  I suspect converting it to QIF would not be heinous.  A couple of years ago I wrote a PDF scraper to read my old PDF Visa and Amex statements and convert to QIF (since I have failed to download via One Step Update within the 90 day or so timeframe).

But WHY should end users have to dabble in this stuff.  Why doesn't importing "just work"?

Again - HOW do I VOTE and FOLLOW?
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Instructions on how to vote and follow were old from the previous forum before migrating to this new forum 2 weeks ago. Instructions on this post have been updated. Thx. 

The only way to follow a thread is to reply to it or bookmark it (click the star). Your profile settings need to be adjusted to get the notifications. 

One caveat with this forum: at the moment, once you reply to a thread, there is no way to unfollow it other than turning off notifications.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• SidToll
    SidToll Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    As a Canadian using Quicken Canada who spends time in the U.S. and has a U.S. based bank account and U.S. based credit card, is there a way to download these transactions into Quicken Canada? If not, is it possible to add this feature?

Thank you.
  • Valderi
    Valderi Member ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, you will have to fill your us$ manually. Even if you have an account in us$ in a Canadian bank like RBC, you won't be able to download those us$ transactions. But, if you make a report, Quicken will automatically convert your us$ in cn$.
  • SidToll
    SidToll Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response.

I must add that I am certainly able to download transaction for Canadian bank U.S. accounts and credit cards and have been doing so for several years.

I would like the ability to download transactions from U.S. bank accounts and credit cards. I know I can’t donit now, but wonder if it is a feature that can be added.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a few seconds for your vote to register).

Your VOTES matter!

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello SidToll,

Thank you for bringing your enhancement idea to the community!

As this Idea already exists, I went ahead and merged your post with it.. Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer, and this one has already been voted on by other users multiple times. :smile:

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie 

• SidToll
    SidToll Member ✭✭
    Thanks for merging my note with the existing thread. I have voted for the idea.
  • John Murray
    John Murray Member ✭✭
    Suggest TD Canada Trust (Canadian) and TD Bank ('America's most convenient bank') as a good use case to begin. TD bank has recently begun a major focus on providing "cross border banking" services. Many bank branches on both sides of the border.
  • John Murray
    John Murray Member ✭✭
    Additional info Re: above comment--TD Canada Trust creates a QFX file for download that presumably works with Quicken for Canada, but Quicken USA won't import the file. Fails with error message "Quicken is currently unable to verify the financial institution information for this download. Please try again later."
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way QUicken works is that each bank in each respective country has to be registered with each version of Quicken, and platform (Win or Mac). So a QFX created by TD Canada will not import into the QWin-US version since it is not registered in the product (aside from any currency conversion issues).

• John Murray
    John Murray Member ✭✭
    smayer97- Thx so much for clarifying this.

(Unfortunately I don't seem to have a "like" icon anywhere on my screen to click.)
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddly "Likes" are disabled on this forum on the first page of IDEA threads  :smirk: But it's the thought that counts. :)

• serves
    serves Member
    Also, please encourage your banks to pursue this with Quicken. After a long call with Quicken support (who oddly enough did not simply tell me that QMac can access US FIs but QWin cannot) Quicken insist that they cannot enable Quicken to access US FI because of the agreements they make with the banks. But my bank was oblivious to the difference between MAC and Windows access. Pressure form end users alone may not be enough to fix this. And it must be an easy fix because it ALREADY WORKS for QMac.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    serves said:
    ....And it must be an easy fix because it ALREADY WORKS for QMac.
    That's my thinking too...

• scfilice
    scfilice Member
    I notice this thread is a few years old now and the ability to integrate both US and CDN accounts/info. was supposed to have been moving forward since 2020. it is now 2022 and I am wondering what the status is?
  • duncan2k
    duncan2k Member

I would also like to know status. I am a US user, who has property and TD Canada Trust retirement and checking accounts. I did see that Royal Bank of Canada is allowed on US Quicken, but not TD Canada.

Secondary question: if I can add Canada Trust using a MAC, will it then show up on my Windows PC?

• John456
    John456 Member

Downloads from both US and Canada i have done routinely on Mint for a good 10 years.

Now that Mint is shutting down, i am suprised to see this has been flagged for at least 4 years and still not working for QWin.

• ddochter
    ddochter Member ✭✭

No Business taxes for Mac either.
    Is Intuit serious about tax software … or are they not able to make their software run on a Mac.
    Banking is banking and taxes are taxes.
    More and more people are from Canada working and then retiring here in the US. There are over a million Canadians in California alone.

I guess I should look at other ways of doing my finances.

• Mo H
    Mo H Member ✭✭

Maybe the solution is to have one version of quicken instead of two. This way FIs dont have to pick a version to work with.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

In a way, that is what this request is probably going to boil down to. I think the major reason that it hasn't been implemented yet is Quicken Windows US doesn't have all the multiple currency support that the Canadian version has.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Mo H
    Mo H Member ✭✭

Actually it does. I have Quicken US and it has multi currency enabled.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

That's not what I mean. Quicken Windows Canadian has the "best/most complete" multiple currency support, Quicken Windows US is "less" complete. Quicken Windows Canadian can download/import QFX files from different currencies (mainly CAD and USD), and it has records the daily currency exchange rates. Quicken Windows US will reject any downloading/import QFX file that isn't in USD, and it only has support for the most recent exchange rates. I think there might be some more things in the reports too for the very fact that net worth over time for instance, isn't "over time" in the case of the currency exchange rates in Quicken Windows US.

Ironically Quicken Mac has the worst multiple currency support but can download from both US and Canadian financial institution, but that is more due to the fact that it treats them as "numbers" and really doesn't have much of a clue on how to actually compute the exchange rates and such. But Quicken Windows does know the difference so it must properly support it.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I'm a Mint refugee looking for a home. I thought Quicken would be the best solution since it's an established product. However, I can see that they are not interested in foreign markets, such as Canada. This product is basically useless for me without the ability to import bank transactions from USA and Canada. Why do they even sell this product if it's not competitive in the marketplace?

• Mo H
    Mo H Member ✭✭

I agree. We, at the north side of the border get the short end of the stick. I was a US iser in the last 10 years and I feel the difference.