Quicken for Mac v5.12 Released

Comments

• Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    Not to worry..When you open the 5.11.2 program restore the latest & greatest backup data file you have. make sure all is as it should be before you updated to 5.12.2. 

You will need to repeat the latest downloads again into 5.12.2. 

Check to make sure the problem went away before taking the time to do any downloads.

let us know how it goes tomorrow when your done
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @""James Sapp"
    (1) I've tried to reproduce the problem you're describing, but I can't replicate it. What version of macOS are you running? What model Mac? I ask because there was a recent problem which the developers traced to a specific graphics card in some Macs, as unlikely as that would seem.

(2) To use the 5.11.2 version you pulled out of the trash, you'll need to go back to a backup of your data file from prior to your first use of 5.12.x. Because 5.12 makes changes to the database, you can't use 5.11.2 on any data file which has been opened in 5.12 and converted to the 5.12 format.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DrGForce
    DrGForce Member ✭✭
    Thank you so much for the renaming rules. I can finally clean up my payees. :)

I see there is also a feature to define payees that you don't want renamed. How do you do this? I didn't see the option anywhere, including the payees and rules window. Thanks.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    Follow up. I deleted QM 5.12.2 and reinstalled 5.11.2 and restored from the last 5.11.2 backup. The show/hide feature for investment now works. I am going to wait a few days to see if there is an update to to 5.12.2.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    Glad you got it back working; while I’m no expert , suspect that you may have been the recipient of file corruption during the update. I had no issues after upgrading to 5.12.2  but certainly understand your hesitation going forward with the update at this time.

if I may offer up a suggestion; whenever QM has updates take the deleted version that QM puts In the trash & save it in the applications folder for situations such as you just experienced. If you have concerns about disk space you can  compress the file.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    @Jacobs, He had & now has it working again using 5.11.2. Can it still be a graphics card issue that is more sensitive with 5.12,2?  just curious 
  • jacobs
    I have no idea. I wouldn’t have thought a specific graphics card could affect Quicken, but it apparently did in a recent obscure issue.

I think the next step is to re-download 5.12.2 and see if the problem recurs. If so, use the Report A Problem option on the Quicken Help menu; it’s obviously not a widespread problem, so the Quicken engineers may need to see this in action in order to track it down.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2019
    Suspect it should not be a problem for him, I do understand the hesitant to go forward right away.

As long as he has an avenue to get back to 5.11.2 he should not worry
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @James Sapp
    Re: Columns Icon issue.

Running Version 5.12.2 on a 27" iMac/Mojave.

Am seeing same or very similar issue with Columns Icon in investment account portfolio view,
    1). Click on Columns icon at lower right of display.
    2). A small box with the top entry ("Actions") of the columns list appears (see screen shot)

3). Move cursor to bottom edge of the "Action: box and the full columns list scrolls up the page.
    4) Only see this behavior with investment accounts. In non-investment accounts, the full column list pops up on clickong the icon.
    5)  Observed same behavior in Ver 5.12.1

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• jacobs
    edited August 2019
    @J_Mike Did you mean to say Portfolio view or Transactions view? In Portfolio view, there is no toolbar at the bottom of the screen in Portfolio view; the columns preference incon for Portfolio view is above the column headers. Your screenshot looks like a Transactions screen -- the same as @James Sapp reported.

This is really interesting; I tried on three Macs running Sierra (27" iMac), High Sierra (21.5" iMac) and Mojave (13" MacBook Pro), and the columns pop up appears exactly as expected for me -- no problems. I wonder what causes the problematic display issues?
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs

Yes - I meant Transactions View :<~
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    Reply to Jacobs: I am running MacOSX 10.14.6. My computer is a MBPro, 15 inch, late 2013, 11.3. Graphics are Intel Iris Pro built in and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M on PcIe bus.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    I contacted Quicken technical support this morning. They had no alerts as to the problem I was having. They helped with rolling back to 5.11.2. They suggested waiting a few days in case there is a .3 or .4 version that might fix this problem, if indeed it is systematic issue. Thanks to everyone for their help.
  • ninaz
    ninaz Mac Beta Beta
    Does the new renaming only change future renaming and not change the past entries with the same name?
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Great new 5.12 release with many new features. I particularly like the new "Investment Amount" column which shows dividend and interest reinvestment amounts. However, I have a concerns about this new feature in the case of Remove Shares transactions. I see several differences vs. 5.11 as follows:

a) For Remove Shares transactions, the Description/Category now shows number of shares removed at the market price vs. just the removed share count (as per 5.11). Adding the price here does not make sense since no purchase or sale was made. I am not sure how to interpret this.

b) Similarly, for Remove Share transactions, the new Investment Amount column shows a calculation of number of shares x market value - i.e. a net loss amount if the shares would have been written off at market price (which is odd since you would normally use cost basis for this). However, they weren't written off, just removed from an account (in my case for transfer to another account or exchanged for other shares). This Investment Amount calculation at market is potentially misleading, and I trust does not influence other more important areas like monthly net income in reports and in the overview bar chart. If so, that would be a regression and incorrect. I wonder if some other number would be more useful here such as the cost basis of the removed shares, or $0.

c) This next one may be a regression/defect: Inside the Specify Lots dialog in Remove Shares transactions, the previous behaviour in 5.11 displayed the cost basis of the removed shares for each lot and in total (in the Gain/Loss column). This was useful behaviour and provided needed cost basis information as shares were moved to a new account or exchanged for other replacement shares. Cost basis is required for complementary Add Shares transactions. The new behaviour in the 5.12 Remove Shares Specify Lots dialog seems to show Gain/Loss amounts relative to the current market price, as if there were a virtual sale of the removed shares. This is truly misleading useless information and eliminates cost basis information which is needed. Please look into this for a potential defect or unintended regression.

I have taken screen shots of example Remove Shares transactions before and after upgrade, showing differences in the Specify Lots dialog. I can provide this privately if someone from the dev team wishes to contact me.

** follow-up** After thinking about this more, the common reason for all the above issues is due to adoption of market price for Remove Shares in 5.12 vs. use of a $0 price for Remove Shares in 5.11 and earlier. From my perspective and for reasons stated above, market price is the wrong choice. Better choices would be either a) cost basis or b) retain a $0 price as per earlier releases.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    @ninaz, should be able to rename past transactions as well, as you go thru the renaming you are offered the option to rename all.
  • UPDATE BROKE MY ONLINE BILL PAYMENTS! When I try and send a bill payment now it says the ZIP code is incorrect. Never had that issue prior to this update. Shame on me for updating!
  • When I edit the payment amount and click on pay now (using bank bill pay), the bill disappears from my register.. poof.. just gone. never connects to the bank. this was a behavior in the 5.11 version as well.. Where do they go? This DOES NOT happen on every bill payee.
  • Steven
    Steven Member ✭✭
    Worth noting that the migration to 5.12.2 was completed today in very little time. Twenty years of transactions including multiple portfolio accounts (some dormant) all came across in just a few minutes. Will start working on renaming payees and working with new recurring payment methodology before COB Friday. Do not remember such an easy release in Intuit days. Thanks.
  • willi1
    willi1 Member ✭✭✭
    @Concordman >
    > @ninaz, should be able to rename past transactions as well, as you go thru the renaming you are offered the option to rename all.

I upgraded to Quicken Deluxe (Canada) this morning. To test I changed one cc item dated Aug 12, 2019 FORTUNE WOK F to Fortune Wok. I didn't receive any options at that time.

I went looking a little further trying to understand via Window/Payees and Rules and came up with this:

When I click on the '5' next to Fortune Wok, I see only one item...the one I just changed.

As I didn't get the option, and the data for the five instances doesn't seem to relate other than the one I just changed, I'm a bit confused.

Are you able to shed some light on this for me?

Additionally, when I preview this post to see if images show correctly I only see them at the bottom, so not sure if they will place correctly when it actually posts.
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    I am not sure if I am understanding everything correctly but let me show an example. I went to the Payees & rules section and opened up Renaming..In my case I chose a local resturant And set up the renaming..See the attached screenshot. Lets say I want to add the City to the name since there are several of these restaurants in the local area. Note I can make the change to the name in quicken then I check off the box circled. This lets you change all the existing transactions.

Now what I found most interesting while learning how to use this feature is that if you use "if Quicken name is ..whatever" when you download again it will not take the name you have set up..In this case  needed  to use the CCRD name..make sure you have all the items set up describing the name. Don't forget to check off the box which applies your change to all existing transactions

Hope this is what you were asking about..if not I am glad to give it another go..
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    My problem with 5.12 is that the update came days prior to me migrating to a new laptop out of necessity. Only 5.11.2 was available for download and even when I contacted an agent through chat (weekend), they did not have the ability to provide a link to the newest version nor even seemed to know of it.

On my own, I finally tried replacing the app with a copy from my old computer and that seemed to work. (I also transferred the folders within the Application Support directory.)

I work in the software industry and completely understand the limited initial rollout, but your support staff (even the weekend staff) needs to know how to handle it or at least how to properly advise customers in the midst of it.

All that being said, I appreciate the fact that after years of languishing in the hands of Intuit, Quicken for Mac has been getting a lot of love and updates since those days. I know it's not easy making changes and having everyone in agreement. I am encouraged that users seem to be giving constructive feedback to help make it better. Keep up the good work.
    Kevin, thanks for reporting that our Care team didn't give you a link to download the 5.12 release. I spoke to our team in Boise and the phone teams were aware of updating customers but the chat team wasn't so we've updated them. This shouldn't happen again.
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    I've noticed the new options for editing scheduled transactions in 5.12 has a field called "Action," but I'm not sure what it's for and can't find any documentation on it. Does anyone here know?
  • jacobs
    @Austin "Action" isn't new, but many people probably don't use it. How it gets used is up to users. Some might record things like "EFT" for online money transfers or "ATM" for check deposits or withdrawals. (In Quicken 2007, you could enter both these actions as well as check numbers in the Number field; when importing to the modern Quicken Mac, anything non-numeric was is moved to the Action field.)
  • jacobs
    Hey, here's something I just noticed that's new in version 5.12 that's not mentioned in the release notes: a warning dialog message when you delete a transaction. Some of us have asked for this since the first version of modern Quicken Mac five years ago, so... yay!

(But I'm sure some users will find this warning annoying; I'm a little surprised they didn't add a Preference to allow users to decide whether to "Warn before deleting transactions?")
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    Hey, here's something I just noticed that's new in version 5.12 that's not mentioned in the release notes: a warning dialog message when you delete a transaction. Some of us have asked for this since the first version of modern Quicken Mac five years ago, so... yay!

(But I'm sure some users will find this warning annoying; I'm a little surprised they didn't add a Preference to allow users to decide whether to "Warn before deleting transactions?")
    Yay indeed. But they do need to add it to the Release Notes.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• goughneour
    goughneour Member
    Still no planning tab to create debt reduction plans for Mac users...who by the way pay the same fees as Windows users. Cancelling my quicken account.
  • jacobs
    @Quicken Marcus A user has asked what I think is a good question in this thread: why doesn't the new functionality for editing the next instance of a scheduled transaction allow the user to edit the Memo field? You can change the date or amount. I'd broaden the question to: why can't the user edit any of the fields, such as category or tags, when editing the next instance of a scheduled transaction; all these fields are grayed out and cannot be changed (until the transaction is marked as paid);
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no planning tab to create debt reduction plans for Mac users...who by the way pay the same fees as Windows users. Cancelling my quicken account.
    You can add your VOTE to Add Debt Reduction Planner.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a few seconds for your vote to register).

Your VOTES matter!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• moski
    moski Member ✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > In the register when looking at Reinvested Dividend transactions the amount is always 0 because there is a dividend received and then shares are purchased which results in no change from a cash perspective.  Customers who are focused on dividends wanted the ability to see what dividend amount they received in the register. The Investment Amount column will display the dollar amount for the dividend.  It's a really nice way to look at your dividends coming in and making sure they are the amounts you expect.

Thanks Marcus. I think maybe the reason it's less important for me is because of the way my financial institution downloads all transactions. They separate out the actual dividend first and record a new buy transaction, so I've always been seeing these dollar amounts. But as I think back to how my old institution (ML) did this, I do recall they had everything in one transaction so this feature would be more important. Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.