Quicken for Mac v5.12 Released

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    jacobs said:
    For auto-categorization issues, customers should look in Preferences : Connected Services and make sure the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checkbox is checked.  If it's not checked, we don't do auto-categorization. 
    But that only works with Quicken's pre-defined categories, right? It seems what many users expect, or want, is to be able to categorize a transaction the way they want, and to have Quicken "learn" and do it the same time they have a transaction from the same Payee. 
    Yes, but I wanted to make sure people checked that first because this is an easy fix.  Also, to be specific, this doesn't work for people who import or convert from 2007 because 2007 didn't have that capability so from New Quicken's perspective all 2007 categories are user-defined. 
    @Quicken Marcus So Quicken 2007 converters have basically no path forward to ever get their categorizations to work? I thought that Quicken 2019 would use one of its default categories, and if the user changed it to one of their old Quicken 2007 categories, then on the next download for the same Payee, Quicken would use the category of the most recent transaction, even if that was a Quicken 2007 category. So user would basically need to "correct" Quicken's auto-categorization once, and then Quicken would use that saved categorization going forward. Are you saying this isn't the case?

Related question… This would be tedious, but would it work to merge a Quicken 2007 category into a Quicken 2019 category, then rename that Quicken 2019 category to the old Quicken 2007 name? Again, it would be tedious to do this for 50 or 75 categories, but most users probably don't have that many custom categories -- and even it they did, they might be willing to invest the time to do the merge + rename if that meant their transactions would then auto-categorize correctly in th future. So I'm just wondering if you can confirm whether that process would work?
    Quicken Marcus said:

In regards to user-defined categories, Quicken remembers the last payee and category pair for every transaction and then uses that for future downloaded transactions.  I personally didn't know this wasn't working for people but our lead tester said he's aware of it but hasn't been able to reproduce it reliably.  Anyway, I don't think we would invest a lot of time in fixing old technology and would instead look forward to memorized transactions to fix this for people.
    Wow! The complaints about auto-categorization on this forum are so thick you need a weed-whacker to cut through them! Many, many people report all their transactions come in uncategorized, and many, many users report that even after they select a category, Quicken doesn't use that category the next time. I believe this is probably the Number One complaint on this forum about Quicken Mac.

If the new memorized transactions approach is somewhat close to being finished, then I'd possibly understand punting on the bug that has been preventing auto-categorization from working correctly since last fall -- but if the memorized transaction functionality is still along way off in the future, then fixing this bug would seem to me to be a high priority. 

Can you also clarify the sequence or hierarchy of auto-categorization processes currently:
    a) If a user downloads a transaction for a Payee which exists, Quicken should use the category used for the most-recent transaction for this Payee. (although we believe this is broken in some or all instances for some or all users)
    b) If a downloaded Payee doesn't exist, if the preference is set for auto-categorization, Quicken should use it's server-based matching to try to guess a category; if that preference is turned off, no attempt is made to auto-categorize.

Thanks for helping us understand how it works (or how it should work).
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jscottfras
    jscottfras Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Scheduled Payments are broken on the year boundary. Scheduled a payment to my account every two weeks on Friday starting on 8/30/2019. This works fine until the end of December, but in January, the first payment is missing. It skips the 1/3/2020 entry.

I see now that this was already reported, but no way to delete my entry.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RCinNJ said:
    Under-the-hood there is a code assigned to that category which allows auto-categorization to work so even if you've change the name it will continue to work.  But it won't work if you delete it.  Just a suggestion until we have memorized transactions.
    Marcus, I had no idea these category names are programmed under-the-hood and changing the name and location would not dissociate them from the underlying code. I've probably missed it, but I've never seen this explained before. If I'd known this years ago when QM first started working this way (or when I converted from QM 2007 to 2015) I would have done this. I've never seen this explained for anyone converting from 2007. Years late hearing this! Just another example of the problems caused by having no documentation and getting information piecemeal in this Forum. 

Question: what is to prevent me from renaming a Quicken category and moving it to match a category name & location I currently use & prefer? I'm guessing there are unintended consequences?
    Yes, one of the BIG problems with understanding any of this is the lack of documentation, and better yet, notification of changes or design decisions to first understand what is and what isn't, then to figure out what potential take action might be necessary to adjust.

Ideally, any design changes should either be self-evident or transparently and automatically make changes to user data to accommodate these changes. Otherwise, there is no true migration path and at the very least users are left in the dark as to why things are not working as would otherwise be expected. 

Even the ongoing discussion here is making it very hard to figure out what is and is not in the current design and what if anything a user ought to do, and even what will be in future the design.

I think there needs to be a good summary presented to delineate all these thoughts about auto-categorization, so-called memorization (which has always been but I think terms might be being re-used with different meaning), event triggers, etc. And anything in a release version should have this documented for reference, not just in this forum. This is not the best place for it in the end.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    > @smayer97 said:
    > (Quote)
    > Yes, one of the BIG problems with understanding any of this is the lack of documentation, and better yet, notification of changes or design decisions to first understand what is and what isn't, then to figure out what potential take action might be necessary to adjust.
    >
    > Ideally, any design changes should either be self-evident or transparently and automatically make changes to user data to accommodate these changes. Otherwise, there is no true migration path and at the very least users are left in the dark as to why things are not working as would otherwise be expected. 
    >
    > Even the ongoing discussion here is making it very hard to figure out what is and is not in the current design and what if anything a user ought to do, and even what will be in future the design.
    >
    > I think there needs to be a good summary presented to delineate all these thoughts about auto-categorization, so-called memorization (which has always been but I think terms might be being re-used with different meaning), event triggers, etc. And anything in a release version should have this documented for reference, not just in this forum. This is not the best place for it in the end.

Agree with @smayer97. Written documentation would help everyone understand this and set a baseline for future discussion and enhancement suggestions.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    jacobs said:
    For auto-categorization issues, customers should look in Preferences : Connected Services and make sure the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checkbox is checked.  If it's not checked, we don't do auto-categorization. 
    But that only works with Quicken's pre-defined categories, right? It seems what many users expect, or want, is to be able to categorize a transaction the way they want, and to have Quicken "learn" and do it the same time they have a transaction from the same Payee. 
    Yes, but I wanted to make sure people checked that first because this is an easy fix.  Also, to be specific, this doesn't work for people who import or convert from 2007 because 2007 didn't have that capability so from New Quicken's perspective all 2007 categories are user-defined. 
    @Quicken Marcus So Quicken 2007 converters have basically no path forward to ever get their categorizations to work?

Quicken Marcus said:

In regards to user-defined categories, Quicken remembers the last payee and category pair for every transaction and then uses that for future downloaded transactions.  I personally didn't know this wasn't working for people but our lead tester said he's aware of it but hasn't been able to reproduce it reliably.  Anyway, I don't think we would invest a lot of time in fixing old technology and would instead look forward to memorized transactions to fix this for people.
    Wow! The complaints about auto-categorization on this forum are so thick you need a weed-whacker to cut through them! ...
    I like that descriptor!  

What all this discussion shows is how much there appears to be a big disconnect between what users are experiencing and expecting and what developers are seeing and understanding. 

I think there needs to be some kind of reset take place to better explain the ins-and-outs in a clear, concise user-friendly way, with documentation to refer back to.

There seem to be a lot of background activity in QMac that few users, if any, fully understand.

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    edited September 2019
    @Quicken Marcus You indicated that you weren't aware that there's much of a problem with users getting uncategorized or mis-categorized transactions until I raised it earlier in this thread. It's a massive problem frustrating many Quicken users who are frustrated and angry. Here's just a sampling of threads of users complaining about this recently:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7860066/quicken-not-remembering-name-category

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20028816/#Comment_20028816

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859639/why-are-downloaded-transactions-uncategorized-that-formerly-were-categorized-correctly

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859538/new-subscription-service-has-taken-away-important-memorized-transaction-feature

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859475/how-do-i-teach-quicken-for-mac-to-remember-a-category-for-a-payee-that-i-frequently-use-each-month

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859422/why-doesnt-the-latest-version-memorize-payees-with-their-categories

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859324/renaming-rules-applying-to-category-as-well-q-mac

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859117/category-auto-fill-not-working-quicken-for-mac-5-12-2

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859038/still-not-memorizing-categories

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7707696/mac-2018-not-memorized

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859034/when-are-you-going-to-fix-memorized-transactions-so-they-remember-categories

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7858901/when-will-quicken-for-mac-memorize-transactions

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857190/how-do-i-teach-quicken-for-mac-to-remember-a-category-for-different-payees

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7858056/learning-categories

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857662/not-correctly-populating-categories-on-downloads

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857178/why-doesnt-quicken-mac-deluxe-subscription-automatically-enter-categories

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857125/what-is-the-status-outlook-for-transaction-categorization-resolution-in-quicken-mac-5-11-1

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7855485/quicken-not-remembering-name-category-q-mac

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7852899/mac-categorization-edited

This is by no means an inclusive list, just ones that popped out as I quickly scrolled back through the past couple of months. Believe me that there are dozens more going back to when things broke in one of the updates last fall, and doubtless many additional people don't post if they search here first and see the questions already asked and answered.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @jacobs Nice! Like I said, seems like a disconnect.

Maybe it would be better if a developer spent some time actually monitoring these forums rather than just relying on mods to pass on info (no offence to the mods intended). This might give a better picture of what users experience in real-world usage.

• Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    Having migrated to Mac from Windows a couple of months ago I could not be happier. Bought a 27" iMac. Should have did this a long time ago - that's a different story for a different day. Migrating all my data over was some work as you can imagine. All is in good order now and working flawlessly.

Of all my current apps, Quicken has been the most underwhelming! Nothing but headaches, and too many instances of applying workarounds and having to live with it till the devs get around to it. Meanwhile, I am paying the full price!

The inability to create certain banking reports in an industry standard format is inexcusable. Leads me to wonder how many devs have real world financial experience!

Great forum, great bunch of mods, and quite informative. Like it has been said, Q should be analyzing the forum and applying it in development.

I am due for renewal in a month, I am clenching my teeth!
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Chris said:
    Of all my current apps, Quicken has been the most underwhelming! Nothing but headaches, and too many instances of applying workarounds and having to live with it till the devs get around to it. Meanwhile, I am paying the full price!

The inability to create certain banking reports in an industry standard format is inexcusable. Leads me to wonder how many devs have real world financial experience!

Great forum, great bunch of mods, and quite informative. Like it has been said, Q should be analyzing the forum and applying it in development.

I am due for renewal in a month, I am clenching my teeth!
    Aside from data loss of valuable memo data in migration of some split data (QM2007 handles memo data differently than "modern" QMac, and that data still does migrate properly), these are some of the main reasons I dread the day I am forced to upgrade from QM2007; so many work-arounds or needing to compromise my much more efficient workflow with the volume of data I have to deal with. 

I can only hope (misguided?) that enough will be addressed by that time. Already this won't happen in time for Catalina, and I have been trapped before in older versions of Quicken unable to upgrade my macOS and hardware for years, only to try to catch up (VERY PAINFUL PROCESS, because all other software updates also get stalled). :(

I agree that more ongoing dev participation (or at least monitoring) in the forum might be a useful exercise. 

• jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    I dread the day I am forced to upgrade from QM2007; so many work-arounds or needing to compromise my much more efficient workflow with the volume of data I have to deal with. I can only hope (misguided?) that enough will be addressed by that time. 
    I know you're holding out hope for improvements, and I believe improvements to the modern Quicken Mac are and will continue to be ongoing; however, I think expecting there to be changes to the Quicken 2007 data converter is, at this point, probably misguided. Between the diminishing number of Quicken 2007 users and the inability of the converter app to run on Catalina or beyond, I think it's pretty unlikely they'll devote any resources to additional work on the converter. (For your sake, I hope I'm wrong. ;) )
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not addressing transactional data loss during migration would be terribly unfortunate. According to Quicken, there are still a significant number of holdouts. Though that may not represent a large percentage of the total QMac user base, I suspect many are diehard QMac users. I would think it a shame to forget about a loyal group.  

I was one of those in an earlier version and Quicken eventually found it worthwhile to address my problem (which affected a small group), just before pulling the plug on further development on QM2007.

Anyway, not sure why you feel you need to speak on Quicken's behalf. I would like to get it from Quicken directly rather than base it on speculation. So it would be nice if @Quicken Marcus would comment on this. That is why I posted this issue in this thread.

• Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Is there any chance that "unreconciled" can be added as a filter for transactions in the transaction view? This is the standard filter I use on the Windows version, because usually I am only interested in transactions that have recently downloaded, future posted or recently cleared. It's a pretty useful view.

Thanks
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    In the transaction register check out the pull down for any status selecting not reviewed or uncleared should work for what you are wanting to do
  • jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    Anyway, not sure why you feel you need to speak on Quicken's behalf. I would like to get it from Quicken directly rather than base it on speculation. So it would be nice if @Quicken Marcus would comment on this. That is why I posted this issue in this thread.
    I am most certainly not speaking on Quicken's behalf, and I have no further knowledge than you do. Your comment was not addressed specifically to Marcus, and I only commented that I thought it was unlikely they'd do further development on the Quicken 2007 converter -- and said I hoped for your sake I was wrong about that.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    smayer97 said:
    I am most certainly not speaking on Quicken's behalf, and I have no further knowledge than you do. Your comment was not addressed specifically to Marcus, and I only commented that I thought it was unlikely they'd do further development on the Quicken 2007 converter -- and said I hoped for your sake I was wrong about that.
    I appreciate the thought but I am not sure the point of it. After all, you know I am not a newbie such that I would not have considered that possibility. But thanks for the sentiment. I do still hope that Marcus does consider this issue.

• James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    Regarding my issue with 5.12.2 and the non-functioning hide/display columns on the transaction view for Investment accounts (see earlier comments in this thread), I reinstalled 5.12.2 (after I reverted back to 5.11.2 five days ago), and I can report that I am experiencing the same non-functioning hide/show columns behavior for Investment type accounts. All other account types perform correctly. I have reported the problem to Quicken. I also have a closed trouble ticket 2708916 for this issue. All other functionality seems to be ok. MacOSX 10.14.6.
  • James Sapp
    James Sapp Member ✭✭
    Update on my Hide/Show column issue in the transaction view for Investment type accounts. The feature will work but in full screen mode only. It should work also when not in full screen view like the other types of accounts. Quicken technical support rep helped identify this issue and has passed it on to Quicken Development for resolution.
  • Robert Galley
    Robert Galley Member ✭✭✭
    I just the dreaded "Category Sync Error" on QM512. I've run QM512 daily since available with no issues. With regrettable blind faith, I had turned Quicken Mobile Sync ON over the weekend in hopes that I can regain the ability to use my IOS Quicken apps. As I reported in January 2019 in "https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7846171/category-sync-error-apparent-reason-impact-resolution-process-mac-quicken-premier-2018-v-5-9-2#latest" I had mitigated this same problem by turning the Quicken Mobile Sync OFF.

The good news is that Quicken recognized that there were 8 instances of the error and displayed each one (same as last time). Hopeful that we were about to capture meaningful diagnostics, I was able to take screen shots of each (which I provided in the January problem report). The "Report a Problem to Quicken" dialog was auto-initiated. Then the bad news: after opening the dialog window for uploading supporting diag docs, the whole thing froze: the dialog and Quicken itself.

I have not yet assessed the/any data damage: with QM592 in January I had to repair the budget category in 400+ transactions going six months back into 2018.

It's disappointing that, despite the fact that this is a data-destructive problem, my request in "https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857125/what-is-the-status-outlook-for-transaction-categorization-resolution-in-quicken-mac-5-11-1#latest" for at least a status did not merit a response from Quicken.

MacOS V10.14.6

Next Steps:
    - Force Quit Quicken
    - Restart Quicken
    - Turn Quicken Mobile Sync OFF
    - Assess damage
  • jacobs
    Update on my Hide/Show column issue in the transaction view for Investment type accounts. The feature will work but in full screen mode only. It should work also when not in full screen view like the other types of accounts. Quicken technical support rep helped identify this issue and has passed it on to Quicken Development for resolution.
    @James Sapp I'm glad you got someone at Quicken Support to see what you're seeing and pass it on to the developers. As I said when you first reported this, I've been unable to reproduce the problem; the Columns pop-up pane works fine for me on investment account transaction screens on my three different versions of Macs and macOS. There's apparently some very specific set of circumstances you're hitting to trigger that behavior, and hopefully the engineers can figure it out.

Fortunately, changing columns isn't something you need to do often, and you have the work-around of switching to full-screen to do so when you need to in the interim.
  • jacobs
    I just the dreaded "Category Sync Error" on QM512. I've run QM512 daily since available with no issues. With regrettable blind faith, I had turned Quicken Mobile Sync ON over the weekend in hopes that I can regain the ability to use my IOS Quicken apps. As I reported in January 2019 in "https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7846171/category-sync-error-apparent-reason-impact-resolution-process-mac-quicken-premier-2018-v-5-9-2#latest" I had mitigated this same problem by turning the Quicken Mobile Sync OFF.
    It's disappointing that, despite the fact that this is a data-destructive problem, my request in "https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857125/what-is-the-status-outlook-for-transaction-categorization-resolution-in-quicken-mac-5-11-1#latest" for at least a status did not merit a response from Quicken. 
    I understand your frustration at the lack of a response, but the issue is that this forum is not Quicken Support, so expecting a resolution to a problem, or even a status update about a bug report, via this site is unlikely. (It does happen now and again, but it's not the norm.)

I'd suggest you take your original problem report from January, edit it in any text editor with any updates based on the current version, and then go to the Report a Problem screen in the Quicken Help menu and Paste in your problem description. It doesn't usually freeze, in my experience, so I'd try that again. Anything you can describe that will let the person who reads your report try to replicate the problem makes it more likely to get put in from of one of the developers. 

You might also want to work with Quicken Support to turn off Cloud syncing, completely wipe out your data in the Quicken Cloud, and then start fresh syncing from your desktop application's data. (You might want to first revert to your data file backup from prior to this weekend, if that saves you time from re-categorizing any transactions.)
  • Robert Galley
    Robert Galley Member ✭✭✭
    @jacobs I take your counsel. I also appreciate your Aug 24 mention of this problem to @Quicken Marcus to ensure that the scope and impact remains visible.
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    I would post the issue on the following thread, as it is used for tracking issues with the new update and is being monitored by the Quicken Mac development team. If it is a bug with the new update, you may find more help there and it would be good to bring this to their attention.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7858577/quicken-for-mac-v5-12-released#latest
  • So 5.12 was paused.. I keep getting prompted for it when I launch Quicken Mac. Is it safe to do the update now? has the zip code bug been fixed? Is there a work around?
  • jacobs
    @Matthew Caswell The release of version 5.12 was paused twice, which is the normal way the manage releases, but I believe it is now in wide release for everyone. There is no mention of a zip-code issue being fixed among the three minor fixes that were made in version 5.12.1 and 5.12.2.

The last response I saw to your question about the zip+4 issue was moderator Quicken Tyka asking if you had tried switching to using just a 5-digit zip code, which you haven't answered.  It seems there must be some problem between Quicken and Chase with the longer zip code format. I believe the product manager said that some banks require a hyphen while others don't allow a hyphen, so getting everyhing aligned for every bank can be problematic. The easiest solution is often just to revert to a 5-digit zip code. 
  • SoLaT
    SoLaT Member
    Since upgrading to the latest version of Quicken, I am unable to download transactions from my Capital One accounts.
  • annkehn@
    annkehn@ Member
    Ok. Spent 3 hours last week with someone online from Quicken. I updated my quicken and now it can't read the file. Not the backup file, not the file I pull from my backblaze backup from the week before. Nothing. The agent could not figure it out at all. I was hoping given a weeks time, that it would be corrected. I redownloaded quicken today and... still says File does not exist. This is my family's entire transaction history since 2005. Everything. College, high school, taxes, everything. The backups don't work. I am seriously freaking out completely.
  • jacobs
    edited August 2019
    @annkehn@ I agree that it doesn't make sense that if you roll back your Quicken to the previous version and your data file to the previous version that you shouldn't be able to get back in business quickly.

Let's start with some basic information: what version of Quicken had you been using, and what version did you update to? Were you already using Quicken 2019, and you just did the recent upgrade to version 5.12.2? Or were you using some earlier version of 
  • Marshall A
    Marshall A Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @Quicken Marcus  

I remember getting an email from the CEO at Quicken about new stuff they were working on. One of the major highlights he mentioned was getting scheduled transactions to sync from desktop into Quicken Web. When will this be available? I would think if the CEO put it in an email that its something that would be in process but that was almost a year ago.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus  

I remember getting an email from the CEO at Quicken about new stuff they were working on. One of the major highlights he mentioned was getting scheduled transactions to sync from desktop into Quicken Web. When will this be available? I would think if the CEO put it in an email that its something that would be in process but that was almost a year ago.
    Unlikely to get a "when" question answered. Meanwhile, You can add your VOTE to Sync Bill Reminders/Scheduled Transactions to Quicken on the Web.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a few seconds for your vote to register).

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Product Ideas - Quicken on the Web. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. 

Your VOTES matter!

• Alan Grobman
    Alan Grobman Member ✭✭✭
    In the new update the reinvest dividend is not working correctly for me. It did the reinvest dividend but then it also shows another entry for dividend income. This creates multiple income entries for the same dividend.
This discussion has been closed.