Unable to backup to remote location, unable to open source file.

Currently I am Quicken 2017 version R19.7 build 26.1.19.7. I July there was an update, right after the update i was able to backup to my external drive. Then in August I wasn't able to. I typically enter data once a month. In September there was another update and again I was able to do the backup. Now in October I can't. I'm sorry I ever upgraded from an earlier version of Quicken. Quicken support has worked with me and reinstalled the program, still doesn't work correctly. I certainly won't pay yo upgrade to a newer version, as my needs are really basic compared to the full capabilities.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long is your file name?  try renaming your file to 8 characters or less. Quicken gets picky and sometimes wants a short name. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "8 characters or less" as in QDATA123.QDF and Q sometimes also gets finicky about spaces in file names.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sqlman51
    Sqlman51 Member
    It was only 4 characters for most of its life. With Quicken support it got longer for tracking purposes. Trying 4 again, I get the same error.
  • Sqlman51
    Sqlman51 Member
    Here is the file name that worked just fine in September right after the update.
    ???? - main.QDF
    This same file worked in July after the update.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    11 characters, including the hyphen, AND spaces.
    You've already been advised as to what to do.

• Sqlman51
    Sqlman51 Member
    Why does the backup with 11 characters work after an update, but not the next time? I tried it with 4 characters and it did not work.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're other users ... so we can't answer your WHY question.
    Either take our advice or don't.
    But, you already know that NOT taking our advice isn't working for you.

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Sqlman51 ,

See this FAQ: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

You gave information on Quicken and you are talking about Backing up and that involves the operating system, which you failed to mention.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Sqlman51
    Sqlman51 Member
    Windows 10 Home
    Version 1809
    Installed 3/23/19
    OS build 17763.805

I have cable for internet. Quicken was originally installed from disk, but reinstalled by Quicken support as a download.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The unable to open source file typically indicates another program has opened the data file when Quicken closes the data file momentarily to perform the backup.  If you aren't already, I suggest you maintain the data file in an ordinary folder on a local drive that is not being automatically synchronized or backed up (for example, Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, MegaSync, ...).

I suggest you attempt to perform a backup to a folder on a local drive.  If you're not successful, I suspect the data file is corrupt.  You may attempt to perform a Copy and Validate but you may need to fall back to your last successful backup: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows  

If you are able to perform the backup to a folder on a local drive, there may be an issue with the external drive.  I suggest a reboot and error checking. 

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Sqlman51 ,

When Quicken is tested, it is tested on the latest Public Release and sometimes on the latest Insider Build, but never on the earlier Builds of Windows 10. I would go to  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10?tduid=(4e6e5b5aaabf2cdcf40a873f29804e0d)(259740)(2542549)(UUwpUdUnU49825)(dwp) Make sure you are signed in to your Microsoft Account.

Download the latest Public Release of Windows 10, by using the Download tool now link to upgrade.

Or, it might be available through Settings > Update and Security > Check for Updates.

I would also change your Quicken Data File name removing the Hyphen and Question marks. Here is an example of a name that works: New Install 2016.
    Using Spaces in the Name is fine.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Sqlman51
    Sqlman51 Member
    Here is an update. I updated Windows from Home to Enterprise version. Reinstalled Quicken from CD and all updates. renamed my file to 4 characters. The problem was still there. Got together with Quicken support and we seem to have tracked the problem to Onedrive. When we unlinked it from the PC, I was then able to perform the backup. This was never a problem back in 2018, so one of the updates in 2019 must have been the issue.
  • Sqlman51
    Sqlman51 Member
    I made a small change and now the error is back.
This discussion has been closed.