I just purchased QMac 2019 - how to make a Quick Report

Options
Katy3
Katy3 Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in Reports (Mac)
I can't see how to make a simple report. I have used Quicken Deluxe 2007 for years.
Can I make a Quick Report on 2019?

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Katy3 Actually, I'll disagree a bit with the reply above. The way the designers built the modern Quicken, their intent was for users to use the Search box for many of the things we were used to building a Quick Report to find in Quicken 2007. (The "Report on…" reports were added along the way in response to user requests -- but it can be problematic to first have to find a transaction that matches a Payee or Category you want to report on in order to generate a "Report on…" quasi-quick report.)

The Search box is really powerful. The first step to using it effectively is to decide if you want to search within a single account, a group of accounts (such as the "Cash" or "Credit Card" groups), or All Transactions in the left sidebar.

Next, if you've selected All Transactions or a group, make sure the register is showing the columns you want to see (for example, you may need to add the Memo/Notes column or Transfer column more Account column).

Next, do you want to limit the time range? Set the date filter to Last Year or Year To Date or Last Month or any time period you want.

Now you can do your search. You have a choice of searching all visible columns (the default)…

… or limiting the search to a single field, like Payee or Memo/Notes by clicking on the tiny, tiny little downward-facing arrow next to the magnifying glass icon…

In Quicken 2007, the most common Quick Reports I'd do would be to look for past transactions for a specific Payee or a Memo or a Category. You can do all of those with Search quite easily, and often you can just use the default "All Visible Columns" -- and the results are faster than Quicken 2007 if you have a reasonably big file. If you just need to view the results, the register shows them; if you need to print the report, just select Print and it will generate a report. 

There are some pros and some cons to Search versus Quicken 2007 Quick Reports, but I suggest playing with it a bit; once you get comfortable using Search, I think you'll find you can very quickly find a lot of information you want.

If you have any questions about Search or the Report on… features, post back with your questions.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you new to Quicken Mac (2015 and newer)?

Welcome.

Getting Started with Quicken for Mac
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-mac https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips with links to more information and videos

If you haven't done so already, please review these videos for more information about Quicken Mac
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac/videos

Help! (Quicken Mac)

Click Help / Quicken Help for additional help on Quicken functions and features.

• Katy3
    Katy3 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I use Quick Reports (on the old Quicken) to look up previous months' invoices etc.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @Katy3 Actually, I'll disagree a bit with the reply above. The way the designers built the modern Quicken, their intent was for users to use the Search box for many of the things we were used to building a Quick Report to find in Quicken 2007. (The "Report on…" reports were added along the way in response to user requests -- but it can be problematic to first have to find a transaction that matches a Payee or Category you want to report on in order to generate a "Report on…" quasi-quick report.)

The Search box is really powerful. The first step to using it effectively is to decide if you want to search within a single account, a group of accounts (such as the "Cash" or "Credit Card" groups), or All Transactions in the left sidebar.

Next, if you've selected All Transactions or a group, make sure the register is showing the columns you want to see (for example, you may need to add the Memo/Notes column or Transfer column more Account column).

Next, do you want to limit the time range? Set the date filter to Last Year or Year To Date or Last Month or any time period you want.

Now you can do your search. You have a choice of searching all visible columns (the default)…

… or limiting the search to a single field, like Payee or Memo/Notes by clicking on the tiny, tiny little downward-facing arrow next to the magnifying glass icon…

In Quicken 2007, the most common Quick Reports I'd do would be to look for past transactions for a specific Payee or a Memo or a Category. You can do all of those with Search quite easily, and often you can just use the default "All Visible Columns" -- and the results are faster than Quicken 2007 if you have a reasonably big file. If you just need to view the results, the register shows them; if you need to print the report, just select Print and it will generate a report. 

There are some pros and some cons to Search versus Quicken 2007 Quick Reports, but I suggest playing with it a bit; once you get comfortable using Search, I think you'll find you can very quickly find a lot of information you want.

If you have any questions about Search or the Report on… features, post back with your questions.

• jacobs
    Options
    As I said, there are pros and cons to each approach. In Quicken 2007, we relied heavily on Quick Reports because there was no other way to search across accounts, but Quicken Mac gives us several tools to quickly discover things in our data.

If you're looking to quickly find a date you spent money in a category, Search might be the fastest way to get there, but if you're looking for total spending in a category, then doing a "Report on..." quick report will give the desired result, while Search will not because it shows entire transactions and not just split lines. (I'd also note that creating a regular Transaction Report for a single Category or Payee takes just a few clicks, and might be faster than hunting for a transaction with the desired Category or Payee in order to do a "Report on…" quick report.)

But the "Report on…" quick report doesn't allow you to set a date range until after you generate the report (it defaults to "This Year"), so there's extra clicking to then go to Customize, set the date range, and re-rerun the report if you want a different time period.

And if you're just looking to find one or more specific transactions -- when did we buy the hot water heater? how much did I pay last time I renewed this subscription? how many times have we been to this restaurant in the past two years? -- then Search can be the fastest tool to get the results.

There is also no "Report on..." quick report for the Memo/Notes field -- one of the things I used Quicken 2007 Quick Reports for most frequently. You need to use Search or create a transaction report to find transactions based on Memo/Notes. 

Another caveat to be aware of with Search is that it currently does not search in hidden accounts. So if you have some old credit card accounts or bank accounts you've marked hidden in Quicken, be aware Search will only show results from active accounts. In regular Reports, there's a checkbox you can click to specify whether or not to include transactions from hidden accounts. The developers have stated they will create an option to include Search in hidden accounts, but that feature doesn't yet exist.
This discussion has been closed.