Can I store Quicken on a NAS drive?

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Netwrk Attached Storage and quicken 5.0 and XP.

Comments

• sadhunathan
    sadhunathan Member ✭✭
    Options
    Question:

Can I keep my Quicken data file on an NAS device and then use Quicken from anywhere?

More details:

I have homes in 2 states and currently what I do is back up to Dropbox when leaving one home, then restore from Dropbox when arriving at the other home. That is, Quicken is installed on desktop computers in both locations, and right now I just move the data file back and forth, with Dropbox or a USB thumb drive.

Can I just use a single data file on a NAS kept at one home and access it from whichever home I'm in, instead? Or, will I still have to move the Quicken data onto a local disk drive in the computer running Quicken?

Note that the Internet is always available at both homes, we leave it on to support the security cameras.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken is not designed to handle the data file being on a network drive.  There is far too much reading and writing as you work in Quicken to ensure that there are not issues and/or file corruption.
    One of the sections responds directly to your question.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suggest you consider using a remote desktop client to access Quicken instead of maintaining multiple installations and transferring data files.  I use Microsoft Remote Desktop, but there are many other options available.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi ,

See this FAQ and comment back: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

The Question is open-ended. But to answer the Question as written, I do it all the time and works great for me.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.