Investing Idea - Show "Percentage of Portfolio"

Paul Schopf
Paul Schopf Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments
When I am looking at my investments, I can look at "Market Value", "Quote", "Daily Change", etc., but it would be helpful to be able to translate "Market Value" into the percentage of the portfolio that that value represents.  The math is simple, and perhaps it is too trivial, but when you are considering re-balancing, those numbers would be nice to know.  Anyone else looking for such a statistic?
31 votes

Under Consideration · Last Updated

Submitted for review on 1/10/24 - CBT-237

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yup, I think that would be a good addition to the choice of columns, and a simple one for the programmers to add.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    Totally agree.  One of the reasons that I continue to run Quicken 2007 in parallel with 2019.  Very necessary when it's time to rebalance my portfolio.
  • Allen522
    Allen522 Member ✭✭
    This simple and important calculation is one that I miss badly from Quicken for Mac 2007. Like other users I, too, have relied on that for perspective and guidance re: rebalancing.   
  • sscminc
    sscminc Member ✭✭
    Amen! A badly needed column feature for investments. No question.
  • szzz
    szzz Member ✭✭
    has this issue really been ignored by quicken since MARCH 26th?
    I am truly hoping that's MARCH 26 2019?
  • jacobs
    edited December 2019
    Yes, it's 2019; comments from previous years show the year.

There are many hundreds of feature requests we users have of the developers, and because we all use Quicken differently, we don't all have the same view of which of them are the most important to tackle more urgently. Just because an idea hasn't been implemented yet doesn't mean the developers have "ignored" it -- it means there are other things the developers have decided are more pressing needs.

There are users who feel budgeting isn't useful without transfers, or without rollovers. There are users who can't get the reports they need out of Quicken. There are users for whom Quicken can't handle all their investments. There are users who are tearing out their hair over mis-categorized transactions. And on and on…  There are ideas here which date back 3 years or more; there are ideas which have many dozens or hundreds of votes.

And I agree that it's hard to be patient waiting for ideas which seem obvious or simple to implement; there are several of them I've been wishing for since the debut of the original Quicken Mac 5+ years ago. ;)
  • jacobs
    This is closely related to and/or overlaps with a separate Idea request for an Asset Allocation report. This request is specifically to see the each holding show its percentage of the total holdings in the investment portfolio view, while the other specifically mentions a report.

Depending on what one expects in an asset allocation report, that could be the same thing (e.g. how much of my portfolio does this holding represent) or a report based on asset class as defined for each security (e.g. the percentage of large cap stocks, small cap stocks, international bonds, etc.). Both types of breakdown would be desirable.

(Side note: the problem with the asset class report is that Quicken Mac has a very limited set of 7 asset classes, which for most people isn't a meaningful enough breakdown of investments; it doesn't follow the standard 3x3 grid of large/medium/small cap versus value/blend/growth for stocks and high/mid/low quality versus short/intermediate/long duration for bonds. So an investment allocation report which will satisfy users would also require Quicken to add to the asset classes, or to, as another Idea request seeks, allow users to edit their own asset classes.)

Back to this request: it's a simple, basic tool most investors would want to be able to see in Quicken. Am I over-invested in stocks versus bonds? Do my current holdings match my investment allocation goals? Do I need to rebalance my portfolio? Quicken has all the data users need to answer these questions, but currently can't determine without doing external calculations. Adding Percent of Holdings as an optional column in the list of Portfolio columns users can select would be very helpful.

Quicken investors: scroll up to the top of this page and add your vote for this feature by clicking the arrow in the yellow box.

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for sharing your comment and adding your vote to this request.  In version 6.3 we introduced the new Dashboard view which provides an option to view allocations by percentages.

We would appreciate your feedback and wanted to see if this new view fulfills the request shared here.

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • jacobs
    @Quicken Sarah. The Dashboard asset allocation is a good start, but it does not fulfill all the needs for this functionality. First, there is no way to print an allocation report from the dashboard. Perhaps once the portfolio view of asset allocation matches the dashboard asset allocation, printing from the Portfolio will be good enough -- but as of now, these two asset allocations are calculated differently. (The Portfolio view asset allocation is flawed, showing "Asset Mixture" for many mutual funds and ETFs.)

In the Portfolio view, there is also no way to "drill down" into the asset allocation values, and this is needed. If the chart shows my Large Cap Stocks are 52%, my ideal allocation is 45%, then I'd want to see which of my securities contribute to my Large Cap holdings, so I could figure out what to do to rebalance my portfolio.
  • Perry Smith
    Perry Smith Member ✭✭✭

Fidelity alerted me that my portfolio is out of balance. That prompted this suggestion.

In the columns that can be added while looking at portfolio value under investments, add in what percentage an entry has relative to the total market value. For example if one of the stock's current market value was $20 and the total market value of the portfolio was $100, the column would show 20%.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @Perry Smith,

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request.

Thank you!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod

Hello All,

The status of this Idea has been changed to Under Consideration as it has reached enough votes and has been submitted to our Product and Development team for further review.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.