Quicken Id login pop-up displays and then disappears

For the last few months whenever I start Quicken it displays a pop-up to enter a Quicken Id and password that immediately disappears and leaves an empty page with only File and Help menus - the data file does not open. The data file is not the issue: the same thing happens with a new data file, opening without a file and using a new Windows user. Over a month ago, I spent more than an hour with Quicken support, reinstalling Quicken etc. to no avail. The person said I should contact Microsoft, which I did.This was another hour and a half with an experienced tech person, who said it was a Quicken issue. So today back to Quicken. After another hour and a half doing the same as the first session, the response: contact my ISP provider or a local IT person. Neither makes any sense.
Any ideas anyone? I have used Quicken for 15+ years and am about to give up.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/blankwhite-registration-screen
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone have you look into "protected folders"?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Thanks for the responses.
    Sherlock: I have been through these steps at least twice with Quicken support to no avail.
    Splasher: I do not have protected folders turned on, but I have had alerts about the low blocked messages about qw.exe accessing the folder that holds my quicken data, which is odd. If I allow access, the problem still occurs. It seems like an access issue.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • res03yhx@
    res03yhx@ Member
    edited December 2019
    The data file is under my documents\Quicken, but note that if I open Quicken without specifying a data file, or a new data file, I get the same problem.

I am so FRUSTRATED with Quicken's inability to find the problem. As a software developer, I have suggested that support pass this one to engineering - totally ignored.

After 20 years or so of using Quicken, I have been looking at other products and am finding [removed] a decent alternative. About to sign off on this one.............
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    res03yhx@ said:
    Thanks for the responses.
    Sherlock: I have been through these steps at least twice with Quicken support to no avail.
    Splasher: I do not have protected folders turned on, but I have had alerts about the low blocked messages about qw.exe accessing the folder that holds my quicken data, which is odd. If I allow access, the problem still occurs. It seems like an access issue.
    If you do get messages, this seems to contradict your statement "I do not have protected folders turned on" ...
    Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

• When I responded to Splasher I had turned off protected folders. When this didn't help the problem, I turned them back on. The folder holding the quicken data file is in the protected folders along with the quicken app.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you tried booting your computer into Safe Mode with Networking and then running Quicken?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Quicken data files should be under Documents, NOT with the Quicken program.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg_the_Greek: My PC would not connect to the internet in Safe Mode using 5 or F5, so no luck. I did start Quicken and it said I needed internet access, as expected.

Splasher: Sorry, my post wasn't clear, but my Quicken files are under Documents.

Everyone: Thanks for all your help, but as this point, I'm moving on. Sorry to leave Quicken, but I have already spent far too long on this one.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    1. Press the Windows logo key R.
    2. Type msconfig in the Open box and then select OK.
    3. Select the Boot tab.
    4. Under Boot options, clear the Safe boot checkbox.

• Made the suggested settings, but safe mode still would not connect to wifi.
  • eghanson
    eghanson Member ✭✭✭
    I found that the ONLY way to get around this problem after hours of trouble shooting is to Disconnect from the Internet as soon as the login prompt pops up. You have to time this so are ready to disconnect as soon as the prompt pos up. You can then fill in the email/password info, reconnect to the Internet and you should be good to go.
This discussion has been closed.