Allow Biometric Windows Hello authentication to be used in place of passwords (2 Merged Votes)

Ron
Ron Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Login and Passwords
Allow Windows Hello biometric authentication to be used in place of passwords any place where passwords are used within Quicken 2018 for Windows.

Most modern PCs are being equipped with some form of Windows Hello biometric authentication (fingerprint, facial recognition etc.)

Given the fact that Quicken houses critical financial data, it should allow biometric authentication for computers and operating systems that support biometric authentication.
22 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

OK, so you are using your biometrics to logon to Windows.

And then you're leaving your computer running, wide open, unattended for long periods of time so that anybody may use it (or misuse it) while you're away ...

And you have Quicken running on it already ... wide open, unattended, too.

You don't really need a lot of fancy stuff.
    All you need to do is to get in the habit of securing your computer when you step away from it ...

• press Win-key + L to lock it.

Now nobody can get in and (mis)use your computer, not even your cat or 3-year-old kid.

If you can keep your computer secured while not in use by you, you don't even need a Quicken data file password or other fancy mechanisms.

• Ron
    Ron Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    What you are saying may be true but people are human and layered security is always better.
    Using your premise mobile banking and other applications should not provide biometric authentication since the mobile device can simply be locked.

Those application rely on the biometric capabilities built into the mobile device.

Presumably the user had to enter a hopefully lengthy PI when the mobile device first boots up.
    Thereafter biometric authentication can be used to bring the phone out of lock mode.

In short, every human is fallible.

Remember Quicken has two password options at a minimum (one when the program is launched and one when you try to retrieve external data.

So let's say that the person failed to lock the PC/laptop prior to being distracted.  Quicken is not open at this point in time.  In order to launch Quicken, someone would have to enter the password to launch Quicken (assuming the user has this option turned in).

All I am saying is that with the widespread availability of biometric authentication, biometric authentication should be allowed in addition to password authentication for those who have the proper hardware.  As expected, a PIN option would be combined with the biometric option so that the user would not be locked out of Quicken should the biometric hardware fail.

Quicken is a very mature product.  I have been using it for over 25 years.

Other than maintaining communications capability with the financial institutions, I cannot think of anything else that I need added to Quicken other than biometric authentication.

Biometric security should be added to Quicken as part of the new annual subscription model.
  • greenperro
    greenperro Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Wondering if Quicken could add the use of a fingerprint sensor found on some laptops to sign into the application?
  • Roger M
    Roger M Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The mobile app already has this feature.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • greenperro
    greenperro Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Yes and that feature works great. I would like to see a similar feature for the Windows application.
  • Jack Scripps
    Jack Scripps Member ✭✭
    Since facial recognition software is used by the Windows 10 operating system to validate the logon, why can't this same technology be used within Quicken to eliminate the need to type, retype passwords over and over (ie for access to the OneStep update, etc.)?
  • Hello Jack,

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the Community!

I went ahead and merged your post with an ongoing Idea for this same feature request. Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

Be sure to add your vote by clicking on the gray triangle right above the current vote count, located in the blue box at the beginning of this thread:
    Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• RealSwissJay
    RealSwissJay Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Would it be possible to add "Windows Hello" biometric login to the Windows desktop app, to unlock the Quicken file, as well as the vault? I already use this with my password manager on Windows and it's very handy. Ask for password to be typed once every 5 logins (or customizable by user) and use biometrics the rest of the time. Please and thanks :)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just so you know RoboForm allows using Windows Hello and it can attach to Quicken's prompts for the data file/Password Vault Passwords.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @RealSwissJay

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered. I have changed your post to an Idea thread to add the ability to have fingerprint sign on(Windows Hello) added to Quicken.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• RealSwissJay
    RealSwissJay Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Just so you know RoboForm allows using Windows Hello and it can attach to Quicken's prompts for the data file/Password Vault Passwords.

Thanks for that. However, from a security point of view, I prefer my software communicate with OS APIs directly, rather than having to add an intermediate 3rd party software as a proxy.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Just so you know RoboForm allows using Windows Hello and it can attach to Quicken's prompts for the data file/Password Vault Passwords.

Thanks for that. However, from a security point of view, I prefer my software communicate with OS APIs directly, rather than having to add an intermediate 3rd party software as a proxy.
    Me too, but look at the date this suggestion was submitted, and the number of votes it has gotten.  Certainly it isn't going to be at the top of their list to add this feature.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • I would prefer biometric login via fingerprint on the mobile app. This is supported by all my other banking apps. I'm surprised Quicken hasn't implemented this already.
  • Wonderful and highly functional request. Windows Hello (and in a larger sense, biometrics) is becoming Microsoft's preferred method of authentication in computing in general and they have already announced that passwords will no longer exist with their products in the not too distant future. I think it would be wise to get ahead of this inevitability and integrate Hello with Quicken as it's currently much harder to steal a biometric algorithm than it is a password. (PS, FWIW, I would prefer the whole Hello integration and not just fingerprint, as my laptop doesn't have fingerprint but does have facial recognition, and I'm sure I'm not alone)
  • Michael Lynch
    Michael Lynch Member ✭✭
    Anybody working on this?

Biometric Login for Quicken Windows would be a nice feature.

It's been 5 years since it was first requested above.
  • stephenadler
    stephenadler Member ✭✭

Quicken is overdue for biometric sign in.

• Jonn-63
    Jonn-63 Member

Passkey option for Quicken Windows. Make it happen.