downloaded sell transaction is showing as "buy to cover"

bought several options (not covered calls) and the buy xacts downloaded just fine. after selling them, the transaction shows in the register as "buy to cover", which is incorrect. OFX log shows trans type = "sell to close" so I am getting the correct info from TD ameritrade,

when i click on the buy to cover transaction and select "specify lots", it shows only one share assigned and 99 unassigned. only thing I can think of is the the number of options (1) is getting mixed up in quicken with the number of shares (100).

any assistance is appreciated. i am on mac quicken deluxe version 5.14.3

Comments

• kalkan65
    kalkan65 Member ✭✭
    also, if i manually change the buy to cover to a sell, the next download re-imports the same buy to cover transaction with an identical FITID
  • BMK1
    BMK1 Member
    When I "Sell to Close" an option it shows up in transactions as a "Buy to Cover" transaction. What is happening? In The memo it states SELL TRADE.
  • Hello @BMK1,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

The Community may need a bit more information to be able to assist further with this. Please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version/release of Quicken you're using.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• BMK1
    BMK1 Member
    I am using the online version and it is up to date.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you open your position in the option? Was it a Buy or Short Sale?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• BMK1
    BMK1 Member
    Buy To Open
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    BMK1 said:
    I am using the online version and it is up to date.
    There is no "online version" and what is "up to date" today won't be up-to-date in the future when someone else reads this. So we ask for actual Quicken version numbers.
    BMK1 said:
    Buy To Open
    Well, obviously Sell to Close would be the way to close that position. Sorry to say I'm a Windows user, but this smells like a potential bug in QMac. Are you an experienced options trader and have you ever encountered this before?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• BMK1
    BMK1 Member
    Rocket I appreciate your help, but your tone is a little heavy. I'm using the subscription "online " version. Whatever version that is?
    Thanks BMK
  • BMK1
    BMK1 Member
    I am using a desktop subscription version for my IMAC------Version 5.14.3 (Build 514.31897.100 macOS 10.15.3

Thanks BK
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited February 2020
    [I see what happened. While I was in the middle of composing a post pointing to another thread with the same issue, the threads got merged so I was pointing right back here. As Dorothy Gale might say, "Threads come and go so quickly around here."]

• John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I am having exactly the same problem with my TD Ameritrade account.

I am using Version 5.14.3 (Build 514.31897.100) on macOS Catalina 10.15.3.
  • John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    Whether I correct the transaction, delete it, or leave it there in its incorrect state, another one downloads every time I connect.
  • John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Natalie, although this thread has been marked as "answered" the only thing answered is how to determine the software version.

This issue is not resolved. How can we make sure the developer team is aware of it?
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    Hello @John Pane, @michael.szypula, @BMK1 & @kalkan65

Thank you for reporting this, although I apologize for the delay in a follow-up response.

I have sent each of you a private message via your Community Inbox to gather some more information so that we can get this reported as a potential bug.

To locate your Community Inbox, please navigate to the top of this page and click on the "Inbox" icon: 

Please let me know if any of you have any difficulties accessing this.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    Shortly after I made my last post, the problem stopped happening just as mysteriously as it started. I am assuming something was going on at the server side since I don't think a new version was released.

(PM also sent)
  • John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    Unfortuanately, I had another similar transaction and the same issue has recurred. PM sent to @Quicken_Natalie
  • kalkan65
    kalkan65 Member ✭✭
    any updates to this issue?
  • Quicken_Natalie
    edited March 2020
    Hello All,

Thank you for your continued patience as this issue is being researched.

I will be sure to post back with any updates as they become available to me.  :)

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Quicken_Natalie
    edited March 2020
    Hello All,

Thank you all for your patience; a Bug Ticket has now been opened for this.

I will continue to post any updates as they become available.

-Quicken Natalie

CTP-636

• John Pane
    John Pane Member ✭✭
    Thank you Natalie!
  • Concordman
    Concordman Mac Beta Beta
    Sadly, I am quite familiar with the issue discussed here, Quicken in its present state does not understand the difference between selling a call option & selling covered calls. Have seen this in both multiple investment accounts, in my case WFA & Schwab. Also after correcting the "buy to cover" to sell , the issues will repeat for about 7-10 download days. After that time period Quicken gives up .

There are still serious equivalency issues in QM vs Qw in the investment area. Recently dealt with two stocks having spin offs..Gardner Denver to Ingersoll Rand & Arconic to Howmet & Arconic (Pittsburgh). Was able to make it work but a painful experience.

IMHO, Qm is superior to Qw in many areas but the investment area is not one of them.
  • Oreoguy
    Oreoguy Member ✭✭
    I am having exactly the same problem as described above. Very frustrating and time consuming to repeatedly correct. Hopefully this gets fixed in the near term.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    edited April 2020
    Hello All,

I am happy to report that a fix for this will be included in the upcoming 5.17.0 release. :)

There is currently no ETA on when the release will be available, however, please be sure to post back if the issue persists after upgrading to this release.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• kalkan65
    kalkan65 Member ✭✭
    thx...looking forward to it
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Note that as of May 1, we are on version 5.15, so the fix which Quicken_Natalie mentioned above is coming in version 5.17 is two major releases away. I just didn't want people to misunderstand and expect to see this imminently.

Version 5.15 came out at the beginning of March. Based on past history, version 5.16 will likely be out sometime this month, so version 5.17 is likely in the late June-July timeframe. (Major releases seem to typically come about 6-10 weeks apart, depending on the complexity and testing.)

Nonetheless, thanks to the users who continued to report this issue, and the moderators who picked up on it and got it to the developers to investigate and put on their roadmap to tackle. Sometimes issues linger for a long time because the path to getting the attention of the developers isn't easy -- so it's nice to see this as a 'win' for the users who sell options.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.