will subscription = upgrade from 2017 to 2020 w/o additional purchase of 2020 (using H&B)

I've been using H&B 2017 and now must get a subscription (would do 2 year) , or spend about the same price for a new version of 2020 with one year subscription.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you have the subscription service you will have the opportunity to upgrade to the latest revision of Quicken whenever you want to at no additional cost.  During OSU you will get a message in the One Step Update Summary when an upgrade is available and you can choose to upgrade or not at that point.  That's one of the nice things about subscription service...you can get the latest features and improvements once they become available without having to buy anything new.  Because of this, Quicken subscription is not year dependent and it is referred to simply as Quicken subscription.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• nuhorizons
    nuhorizons Member ✭✭
    ok, so I'm able to buy the 2019 version with 14 month membership for less than $30.00. By doing that I can install, and then, with the OSU get upgrade to the most current versions? Of course in a year I will have to start buying subscriptions...
  • NuHorizons, can you share your source by chance? Currently on H&B 2017 and will be forced to upgrade as well.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok, so I'm able to buy the 2019 version with 14 month membership for less than $30.00. By doing that I can install, and then, with the OSU get upgrade to the most current versions? Of course in a year I will have to start buying subscriptions...
    You can get 14 month H&B for less than $30??????
    Just to restate, from the beginning of purchasing subscription Quicken, you are on a subscription, at the end of the 14 months, you will be extending that subscription.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NuHorizons, can you share your source by chance? Currently on H&B 2017 and will be forced to upgrade as well.

I STRONGLY suspect that @nuhorizons bought "Starter Edition" for under $30 ... NOT H&B.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    I have seen 2019 H&B on the main auction site for under $30, new in box w/ activation code from multiple sellers. Just been hesitant as wasn't sure about the box labeled as 2019 would still be valid for the 12 (+2) months but sounds like it will be.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi @DaisyDoo ,

The Activation Code is only good for 24 months from being printed for Quicken 2019 and higher, not the Sell date. *Information on this post has been corrected after the fact.

Call Quicken Support to Verify.

See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• nuhorizons
    nuhorizons Member ✭✭
    I actually ended up getting the 2018 version on e-bay for less than $20.00, which I understand has no expiration on the activation (starting with 2019 members here have said it expires in 2 years. The 2019 with 14 month subscription is available for less than $30.00- search ebay as follows "Quicken Home And Business 2019 Windows One Year Membership Plus 2 Months Bonus"
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Awesome.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nuhorizons @DaisyDoo
    I just hope you are buying these with a way to get your money back if the seller has already used or sold the activation code, because I bet Quicken isn't going to make good on it.
    And yes, @thecreator had it incorrect, the codes are good for 2 years from the printing date for 2019+, 2018 did not have an expiration date.  The 6 month time period is that you can not apply the next subscription extension except in the last 6 months of the current subscription, i.e. you can't buy 4 or 5 now and apply them all at once.

• gregsu168
    gregsu168 Member ✭✭
    > @nuhorizons said:
    > I actually ended up getting the 2018 version on e-bay for less than $20.00, which I understand has no expiration on the activation (starting with 2019 members here have said it expires in 2 years. The 2019 with 14 month subscription is available for less than $30.00- search ebay as follows "Quicken Home And Business 2019 Windows One Year Membership Plus 2 Months Bonus"

Nuhorizons - did this actually work?
    Since 1993 and now using subscription Win10 H&B&Rental
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just checked eBay and saw 12 months Quicken Home & Business 2018 (CD) selling for $19.95 (includes free shipping).  The least expensive listing I saw on Amazon (14 months) was $49.99.  As long as the Amazon or eBay seller lists the item as "new" and "factory sealed" you are pretty well protected from fraud.  Both retailers have good refund policies now and will force any seller to issue refunds (when requested by the buyer) if the item they sell is not what was represented in their sell listing.  For additional peace-of-mind I also usually avoid buying from any sellers on those sites who don't have at least many hundreds of positive feedbacks and with a positive feedback score of less than 90%.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• nuhorizons
    nuhorizons Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for the feedback and insights. I had planned on waiting until april to install the 2018 H&B (which I've ordered on ebay) in april when my subscription runs out, but for "the good of the community" I will install this week and let everyone know how it worked out.
  • nuhorizons
    nuhorizons Member ✭✭
    I just installed the 2018 version of H&B purchased on e-bay for less than $20.00, and it worked perfectly. it upgraded to 2020 version R24.14. I see nothing on the packaging to indicate the code would have expired.
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Thanks for completing this install ahead of your original schedule and letting everyone know!!
  • nuhorizons
    nuhorizons Member ✭✭
    > @DaisyDoo said:
    > Thanks for completing this install ahead of your original schedule and letting everyone know!!

No problem. When I have a chance I'll contact support, explain that I've purchased multiple copies of 2018 and ask them to confirm the ability to extend subscription with the additional copy next year
  • DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Of course there aren't any 2018 H&B on ebay right now for a reasonable price but there are a couple 2019 H&B with the 2 bonus months for $25. So instead of $1.67/month it's $1.79/month so still not horrible.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DaisyDoo
    The 2019's should still be good until Fall 2020 when they would be two years old and the activation code would expire, so at this time, don't buy more than one.

• DaisyDoo
    DaisyDoo Member ✭✭
    Yea, I figured that may be the case. Will keep an eye out for when some of the 2020 H&B's get super cheap for a year's worth of subscription, or even some 2018's may come back up.
  • nuhorizons
    nuhorizons Member ✭✭
    > @DaisyDoo said:
    > Yea, I figured that may be the case. Will keep an eye out for when some of the 2020 H&B's get super cheap for a year's worth of subscription, or even some 2018's may come back up.

Daisy, Support told me no expiration on the 2018, but I could not activate until subscription was down to 6 months. If we get a 2018 (or newer if cheaper) now, and again in six months, then every year after that... the only key to success is making sure the e-bay seller offers returns, if you file a claim with e-bay they will process the return and send a pre-paid mailing label as well.
This discussion has been closed.