Amount other than zero in baseline graphs; values should be from min to max (8 Legacy Votes)

Quicken Community
edited October 2023 in Reports
The graphs of balances are displayed from zero to the actual value.  With larger balances, this results in a flat graph with no detail.  The value fluctuations are more visible if the baseline is the minimum balance.
15 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Many graphs in QM2007 work that way where the baseline is automatically adjusted, as you request. So this is a good idea. At the very least, a preference should be made available so the user can choose which works for them.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2017
    I use the Net Worth graph and it uses a baseline of zero.  It is time for Quicken to update that graph(and all others).
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Wish there would be a way to scale the vertical axis for graphs...

When Q creates the bar graphs, the vertical is from 0 to some upper banded data element.
    BUT - if the data points are all clustered around that upper data element, you really can't visualize the changes of the graph, since all the data points are within 1/4" on a full printed page.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    The origin of many of the graphs seems random. In the Security Detail view, some of my securities' market values and price histories start at zero and some at or near the low for the interval.

I have verified that there are no zero values hiding in the price histories for the ones that start at zero.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • svenman13
    svenman13 Unconfirmed, Member
    Agree. The reports are wonderful - but if the Y-axis is scaled from 0 - $10M, and all the data you want is from $9-$10M - the chart is not going to show you much. This would be a great addition to Quicken. I have taken to exporting a report into Excel for graphing.
  • Jim_Harman
    Make sure you click on the small up arrow in the big blue box in the top post to vote for this idea. Every vote conts!
  • Jim_Harman
    Also I also wish I could specify a logarithmic vertical scale, so that for example a 10% change is always the same distance vertically.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    tnx for the edit of the topic title & even the orig posting text -
    I usually do that for others.... but am taking a "just browsing"position  for now -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, it will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to add your vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

• Jim_Harman
    @Quicken_Natalie
    Please combine this idea with this one
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7809190/scale-vertical-axis-in-graphs-edited-vote
    and merge the legacy votes - they are the same idea.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited March 2020
    Hello @Jim_Harman,

I have gone ahead and merged these and updated the Legacy Vote Count accordingly.  :)

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Everyone needs to go back to the first posting and RE-vote this up -
    think things got reset to zero when merged -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• shelkol
    shelkol Member ✭✭
    And / or it would be nice to just have a non-zero based chart / graph like when you are looking at daily DJI price
  • I agree. The way the charts and graphs display is useless for any kind of trend analysis.
  • DickY
    DickY Unconfirmed, Member
    Displaying the graph with min/max values instead of setting to zero is programming 101. Any first semester student can do this. It should be changed.
  • RKos71
    RKos71 Member
    Changes in an $800,000 investment are hardly noticeable. We should be able to set our own baseline to allow us to interpret the data.