Quicken for Mac v5.15 Released

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Here's another post that emphasizes why the QuickeFill check box needs to stay as last checked, or at least have a user-controlled preference setting. And the same applies to the Payee rename checkbox.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871044/oh-lord-please-help-me-disable-quickfill-mac-5-15-1-build-515-32947-100

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    > @dental_floss said:
    > I recently switched from Quicken Windows to Mac since I no longer have Windows hardware and I am now all Mac-based.. so I am relatively new to the Mac version of Quicken.
    >
    > I support adding new enhancements to the tools, but these enhancements must come with user-friendly settings, and the features that haunt me in QuickenMac relate to auto categorization (and now quick fill).
    > ...

As a follow-up - Another UI problem ... if I edit a Tag on a transaction, a new entry is automagically added to the QuickFill rules, but there is no notification in or near the tag entry field about Quickfill rules being updated (unlike what I see above the category field).
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @dental_floss Yes, I'm afraid that's because the developers seemed to originally view QuickFill as primarily a tool for auto-categorization, so they tied it to the Category field. But in listening to user feedback, they now allow it to work for all fields -- which makes many of us happy -- but failed to change the user interface to make it easily visible while entering/editing those other fields. Hopefully, they'll continue listening that this is confusing and tweak the UI in the next release.

And hopefully the comments in this thread make it clear that some users (like @RickO and @K. Swensen) want no QuickFill rules created automatically, and other users (like me) want QuickFill rules constantly updated for all fields -- and in between those camps, some users want QuickFill rules but only for categories. They tried to solve the split between Category-only and All Fields users in the 5.15 release, but they missed the mark by not allowing users to set a general Preference for whether QuickFill rules are created automatically or not. They tried to manage this with the little checkbox above the Category field, but this isn't satisfactory because it's either always on, or it stays in whatever state the user previously left it (requiring careful attention to whether it's on or off from a previous transaction). A general Preference setting, with the little checkbox to manually override the preference when desired, would solve this.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • noload
    noload Member ✭✭
    Quicken released the 5.15.1 Mac update before they checked their work. 5.15 worked but 5.15.1 destroyed my custom categories. I believe there was a remedy for the Quickfill problem but with this latest update all bets are off.
  • noload
    noload Member ✭✭
    Are we talking about 5.15.or 5.15.1 here? 5.15.1 broke my custom categories in all my account registers that were fine in the previous version.
  • jess8887
    jess8887 Member ✭✭✭
    I’m using Quicken for Mac (QM) 2020 (v5.15.1). While I like the QucikFill enhancements in v5.15 (e.g., options to auto-save categories, tags, memos and amounts). I don’t like its implementation and fill it should be revisited.

Now the default setting in QM v5.15 causes the payee rules to be overwritten EVERY-TIME with the last transactions, unless I uncheck the QuickFill checkbox.

I’m sure it’s just my opinion, but it would appear the default would be to “turnoff” the checkbox to create the QuickFill rule. Or at lease give the user a preference setting.

Now, if I don’t remember it uncheck the “save QuickFill” checkbox” the payee rule is overwritten (replaced) with the last transaction EVERY-TIME.

For any Quicken employee monitoring, your release notes for 5.15 indicates: IMPROVED The checkbox to create QuickFill rules in the transaction register will now always be checked by default and won’t remember the last change….

This is not the case. Since the checkbox is always on (checked) it WILL remember the last change and OVERWRITE any prior payee rule setup unless the user unchecked the box. This is the exactly the opposite from what your release notes indicated.
  • gary19
    gary19 Member ✭✭
    Reports no longer finds some categories of transactions.

I am guessing that this is a new problem for 5.15.

Some categories of transactions are not displayed in a Report. The Report sees other categories from the same date or nearby dates, but some categories are simply not shown in the report. i have only observed this problem for two categories, Medical:subcategory1 and Medical:subcategory2.

Any help? Anywhere i should send my file so you can reaconstruct the failure?
  • RickO
    Reports no longer finds some categories of transactions.

Which report(s), specifically?

• gary19
    gary19 Member ✭✭
    Reports>>>Category Transaction
  • RickO
    Have you checked the customization settings for Category to be sure Any or All Categories is selected.
  • Rich August
    Rich August Member ✭✭✭
    Revisiting an earlier question... I'm using Quicken Mac 5.15.1 under MacOS High Sierra. I've been looking forward to the return of being able to carry forward amounts and memos from previous transactions to new transactions. However, after poking around both existing and new transactions in my registers, and in particular, selecting and modifying the category field, as well as changing it back, I've been unable to get the pop up with the checkbox and selector to appear. I've been at this for over an hour. Are there any global settings or preferences or known bugs that might be suppressing this option? Thinking about it, I haven't seen the new Quickfill pop-up appear in a few weeks now. Many thanks for any help or suggestions.
  • gary19
    gary19 Member ✭✭
    Thank you very much, RickO. Indeed Reports>>>Customize>>>Categories solved the problem. I have never seen that screen before so I did not know that it even existed. It took me a good 15 minutes to find it. Probably 5.15 release changes the default from "Use all categories including uncategorized" to the other button. I have been using QuickenMac for at least a couple years so the default change on 5.15 is probably the reason this happened. Thanks again for your help.

In the future, it would probably be a good idea to include every user-adjustable setting somewhere in the "Preferences" drop-down as is the case in most applications. No need to remove the accessibility from their present location, but if all settings were in "Preferences", then they would be easier to find.
  • RonR
    RonR Member ✭✭
    Quickfill should be tweaked so users can set it "by account". As an example, I have single credit card that only my daughter uses at college. The charges for every transaction on that particular card go to unique categories created for those expenses. However, when she charges at a store (for example "Target") that I also frequent (but charge on a different credit card and categorize differently for my home use), the auto populate is same on both cards.

Also, the auto-populate should also carry across all columns if so desired (i.e., amount, notes, etc.) - maybe it does and I just haven't figured it out yet. Thanks. Ron
  • jacobs
    @RonR  The latter exists now in the latest 5.15.1 release. You just have to make sure to set QuickFill to "All Fields" instead of the default "Category"; this is in a dropdown menu for the blue QuickFill widget which appears above the category field.

As for the former, you might consider keeping your daughter's credit card tracked in a separate Quicken data file. I don't think the developers are likely going to allow account-by-account settings when this problem is easily solved by having the accounts for other people in separate Quicken data files.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:

As for the former, you might consider keeping your daughter's credit card tracked in a separate Quicken data file. I don't think the developers are likely going to allow account-by-account settings when this problem is easily solved by having the accounts for other people in separate Quicken data files.
    There are many good reasons to track more than one person in the same data file for husband and wife, children, aging parents, which makes separate files impractical.

RonR said:
    Quickfill should be tweaked so users can set it "by account". As an example, I have single credit card that only my daughter uses at college. The charges for every transaction on that particular card go to unique categories created for those expenses. However, when she charges at a store (for example "Target") that I also frequent (but charge on a different credit card and categorize differently for my home use), the auto populate is same on both cards.
    Meanwhile, you can add your VOTE to Ability for Categorization tied to Payee to be account dependent .

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).
    (If the triangle is black, your vote has already been counted.)

Your VOTES matter!

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Beetone
    Beetone Member ✭✭
    When entering a payment, the pop-up list of payees includes many double entries one of which has a pre-assigned category attached and the other has no assigned category. How do I remove the redundant names?
    I understand that this problem may have resulted from the recent release. In any event, this accumulated cluttering of the pop-up significantly detracts from an otherwise useful feature.
  • jacobs
    @Beetone  This seems to be an intentional change with the addition of QuickFill rules. Many people want to be able to select the Payee with the memorized category, but the developers apparently felt that offering a plain vanilla choice of the Payee without the QuickFill rule to satisfy the times people say "when I buy from here, it's usually category XYZ, but sometimes it's something else."

You can delete the QuickFill option by going to Window > Payees & Rules and deleting the QuickFill rules you don't want, but I'm not sure if there's any way to prevent it from showing the "plain vanilla" (no QuickFill) option for a Payee. (I'm not at a computer where I can test this right now, but if you edit the QuickFill rule and check the box to make it the default for this Payee, does that suppress it from showing the plain vanilla option?)
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    How does one get the attention of the developers to fix the bad behavior with Quickfill? Is there a place to vote on Bugs?
  • jacobs
    There is no place to vote on fixing bugs. We can vote on product enhancement ideas, not bugs. Bugs can be reported through the Report a Problem feature in Quicken. If Quicken staff can replicate a bug reported by a user, it is entered into their bug tracking database -- but then there's no way to predict which items are slated for very quick fixes versus others which are slated for work in the future. 

I'm not sure here if you're referring to something which may be a genuine bug or something which may be, as the engineers say, "operating as designed" -- but might be poorly designed. In the latter case it's an enhancement request to change it. If there isn't an existing "idea thread" on this forum for such an issue, you can create new post, mark it as an idea, and then hope other fellow Quicken users will vote for it. 
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    5.15.2 released. I don't see any posts by Marcus or others. Anyone having issues?
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    Date Selection defect in QM 5.15.2: After upgrading to QM 5.15.2 last night, I notice that when you double click on the date for any register transaction, and then click on the calendar icon, it no longer starts with the current date of the transaction, but sets the calendar selector to a fixed date of Feb 12, 1982. This looks like a regression. Is anyone else seeing this? See pic attached here:
  • RickO
  • s2kdriver
    s2kdriver Member ✭✭
    Thanks @RickO
  • wickerberry
    wickerberry Member ✭✭
    Today I updated to 5.15.2 on macOS 10.14.6 and noticed when you go under Quicken check for updates it does nothing previous versions would come back and tell you if there was an update or not. This is new to this version anyone else seeing this?
  • Guy
    Guy Member ✭✭
    Proposed Dates have defaulted to 1900 in Quicken Mac! The small calendar that appears upon clicking the date column now defaults to July 1900 since this latest upgrade. Somewhat disconcerting - please fix.
  • RickO
    Today I updated to 5.15.2 on macOS 10.14.6 and noticed when you go under Quicken check for updates it does nothing previous versions would come back and tell you if there was an update or not. This is new to this version anyone else seeing this?
    I concur. I'm seeing (or not seeing) the same thing.
  • jacobs
    Maybe it's looking for updates in 1900 and finding none. ;)
  • sjk3933
    sjk3933 Member
    I just upgraded to v5.15.2 (Mac version), and now when I create a new entry, the calendar is defaulted to December 1899. The entry itself is created with today's date, but when I click on the calendar icon to change to a future date, the calendar shows up as December 1899. I have to manually type in the desired date or otherwise click and scroll through a century of months. Put this on your bug list!
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    > December 1899

Covid-19 was non existent at that time, so maybe this is a good thing? (if only)
  • jacobs
    caram said:
    > December 1899

Covid-19 was non existent at that time, so maybe this is a good thing? (if only)
    Yeah, but MacOS 0.0.2 and Quicken Mac 1.0.0Alpha1 was pretty buggy at that time. ;)
This discussion has been closed.