Need to upgrade from Q for Mac 2017

Quicken is due to expire on April 30th. Can we get an extension to upgrade until resolution of the coronavirus crisis? It would be much appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does the coronavirus have to do with an extension? 
    You don't have to go to any store to buy Q ... in fact Amazon, eBay, Walmart (online), etc usually have better pricing/terms than does Q itself.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Its interesting that the IRS has pushed out the April 15th tax date to - July 15th
    Guessing all of this, and the OP question -  has to do with "limited income" during this very weird time...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Susie  Be aware that by posting here, you are talking mostly to fellow Quicken users who try to help each other out, so you won't get an answer to your question/plea here. (Unless Quicken management has an announcement to make.) 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    As much as this is a community that allows user to user interaction and support, there are at least 6 moderators that are Quicken staff, many pulled from the front line support team, so there is a lot of ongoing monitoring by Quicken staff.

Just because they (and we) have gotten used to users taking first crack at responses and that they do not respond to all posts does not mean they do not see all the posts or do not provide support. I wish we would dispel that myth.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    @smayer97  The moderators are excellent at posting policy decisions and explanations, but they are not Quicken management and don't make decisions about Quicken policies. What the OP was asking for is a major policy change. (In unprecedented times, an unprecedented change like that actually seems plausible; if there is not a technical reason it can't be done, it would actually be a nice customer service gesture for Quicken to make.) But while a moderator can pass on input from this forum to management, in my experience here, that generally happens only when there is a groundswell of user feedback on a particular topic. In any case, I was just trying to convey to Susie (who is not new to the forum) that comments/ideas posted here are not being read by Quicken management.
  • TF
    TF Member ✭✭✭
    It may also be practical for Quicken to consider the extension as new installs usually comes with issues and Quicken has cut back on hours. So both from a goodwill in an unprecedented time and also their inability to assist the increased workload due to 2017 customers upgrading. It's your move Quicken!
  • TF
    TF Member ✭✭✭
    FYI. I will probably purchase my upgrade but not install it as I definitely do not want to get into a position where my quicken is down. I'd rather forgo the downloads than have my new upgraded quicken fail with no support.
  • TF
    TF Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Sarah!
  • TF
    TF Member ✭✭✭
    I would also encourage everyone to support and buy upgrades to Quicken!!! We need to support all our businesses during this time. It goes both ways!!! Blessings!!!
  • Susie
    Susie Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Quicken Sarah. There is enough stress dealing with the pandemic. I do not want to deal with the additional stress of upgrading Quicken while preparing my 2019 income tax returns. It would be a good Will gesture on Quicken’s part to extend the April 30 deadline until after the tax deadline. Thank you!
  • Peggy
    Peggy Member ✭✭
    I agree. My 2017 edition expires at the end of April. I have not done my 2019 taxes yet. Since tax deadline has been moved to July I have time. But I don't want anything to go wrong with upgrading to the new addition at this time. I might just stick it out with the 2017 edition and just let it expire to be on the safe side.
  • jacobs
    You can keep using Quicken 2017 past April 30; you will lose the ability to download transactions and security price quotes, but you can access all your existing data, and you can enter data manually. You will lose the right 20% of your screen to an obnoxious message from Quicken urging you to renew your subscription, but it's still workable.

Generally -- famous last words! -- the update from Quicken 2017 to the current Quicken Mac goes smoothly; it's much less of an upheaval than importing from the old Quicken Mac 2007 or Quicken Windows. One thing I'd note is that Quicken 2020 will import and update for Quicken 2017 data file, but it's completely separate. So you can have both Quicken 2017 and Quicken 2020 installed -- and even running -- at the same time. So if you want to try upgrading, you can compare old and new side-by-side, and you can try using them in parallel for a few weeks; then you can carry forward with Quicken 2020 or, if you run into obstacles you can't solve at this time, you can keep using Quicken 2017 and let Quicken 2020 wait until such time as you're ready to use it. (At that time, you'd just do a new import of your Quicken 2017 data file.)
  • Susie
    Susie Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much. I know I can continue using Q2017, but I download transactions for all my accounts daily and do not want to discontinue or enter manually. If the upgrade is as easy as you say, that would alleviate some of my anxiety. Of course, there is little tech help from Quicken Support these days.
  • jacobs
    Quicken Support (like tech support for many hardware and software vendors) can be hit or miss; there are good agents who know a lot and go the extra mile to solve problems and there are agents who follow scripts and look for the easiest path off the call. If you have one poor experience with Quicken Support, I wouldn't write it off and not try again.

If you want to continue to download your transactions after April 30, you currently have only one course of action: upgrade to the current Quicken. You have asked about the timeline being extended and received an answer from Quicken that they do not plan to do so. You can wait another few weeks to see if Quicken changes course, but based on the reply you received above, I wouldn't count on it.
This discussion has been closed.