Change Account To Manually Reconcile

Having recently allowed one of my memberships to lapse, how do I now manually reconcile my checking account? I used to be able to do this by turning off web services for an account, but this is not available when I go to EDIT on any given account. Thank you.

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Tony Brocksmith,

If you provide a little more info, we will be able to assist you better.  Please tell us your Quicken information (version/tier such as deluxe, Premier, the year, build, etc.) as well as operating system and Build information for the Windows 10 and Mac Operating Systems.

And when you say your membership has lapsed - do you mean that you can no longer download data from financial institutions, or something else?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tony Brocksmith
    Tony Brocksmith Member ✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe 2020 Windows. R25.21 - 27.1.25.21. Correct regarding membership. I let it lapse on 3/26/2020 so I can no longer download data. Thank you, Frankx.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Tony Brocksmith,

You should still be able to reconcile your accounts - you just need to reconcile to a paper (or online - accessed through your bank's website or mobile app) statement.  To do that:
    1) open the account in Quicken and click on the Gear icon in the upper right;
    2) select "Reconcile" from the menu;
    3) the reconciliation window should open - select "use paper statement"
    4) proceed with the manual reconciliation process - clearing deposits and checks, etc. based on the paper bank statement (or online information referenced above).

Let me know if this doesn't work or if you get some kind of error code, etc.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Tony Brocksmith
    Using that method, I get a pop-up window which says "Your Account May Be out of Date. Would you like to download your latest activity before reconciling?" Then, two options. Download transactions for this account or Reconcile without downloading. If I select Reconcile without downloading, the resulting window is mostly unpopulated. See attached pics. Again, thank you.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @ Tony Brocksmith,
     Okay - on the first pop-up - you should select "Reconcile without downloading".  I think that you may have left out the interim screen (between the "Would you like to download..." screen and the other screen shot you posted.  In that one (see below)
    make sure that you have "Use paper statement" checked and that the Ending date of your bank statement is correct (presumably +/- 3/31/20).  Then click "OK" and it should take you to the screen that should show your checks written through 3/31/20 on the left and deposits through 3/31/20 on the right.

Let me know how it goes

Frankx

asks you whether you want  

• Tony Brocksmith
    That option never appears. At no point after clicking Reconcile do I see an option to use paper statement or use online balance. I know what you're referring to based on how I used to reconcile some accounts in Quicken (15 years ago), but nowhere do I now see that option.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @Tony Brocksmith

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. It sounds as though it's set up to automatically reoncile with the online balance. There's an option for that listed in the account settings. 

Can you right click on the account -> edit/delete account -> online services 
    In the bottom right you should see  a button that says reconcile using online balance.

Once you unchecked this can you go ahead and try to reconcile again. You should be able to select continue without downloading and select either manual or online balance reconcile

Please let us know if this helps resolve the issue for you.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Tony Brocksmith
    The Online Services tab is gone under Edit. Of the three I'm used to seeing, the only tabs which remain (probably due to lack of subscription) are General and Display Options. Thanks for sticking with me on this one. It's very frustrating.
  • Tony Brocksmith
    Anyone else?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Frankly I think that the only way out of this situation is for it to be changed in a supported subscription or by using Quicken 2016/2017 if you have one of those to install.

It is pretty clear that what they did is hide the Online Services tab when the subscription lapsed.  Which would make sense except for the fact that the only way to reset the reconcile to online setting is in that tab.

To me this clearly a bug.  The user shouldn't be left in that state.

I don't know how Quicken Inc would chose to fix this problem.

On possible workaround is if support could do it for the user...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Tony Brocksmith,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, and I'm sorry to hear this has not been resolved yet.

At this point-- I do recommend contacting Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps, if you feel comfortable doing so, to have the matter looked at and hopefully fixed promptly. 

Should it come down to it, and you are not wishing to renew your subscription-- Quicken Support may be able to temporarily activate your subscription, while assisting you, long enough to make the change, then re-cancel the subscription afterward.

-Quicken Anja

Quicken Support Current Hours of Operation:
    Monday through Friday
    8:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Tony Brocksmith
    Thank you, Anja. I’ll call in Monday.
  • Quicken Anja
    I would just like to quickly add that we just received notice of Chat Support also being available for the same hours on weekends now as well.

Phone support still remains Monday through Friday.

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Tony Brocksmith
    edited April 2020
    Ok. The outcome as regards Quicken chat help was less than optimal. They made an attempt to temporarily re-activate my expired account. When it failed to immediately return the missing Online Services tab, they decided that they could not assist me since I was not an active customer. Then a Eureka moment - I logged out of the account with my credentials and logged back in with my girlfriends. This gave me back the missing Online Service tab to switch back to manually reconcile. I don't know how they do it, but Quicken has found childish ways to piss me off for over fifteen years.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited April 2020
    I'm so sorry to hear that was a bad experience for you! That was definitely not my intention in referring you to them!

For future, if it helps-- next time I suggest calling instead then, and ask to speak with a U.S. rep (same site as myself). Being that I know them personally, I can assure you these reps will not give up on you or leave you hanging.

Also, I will be sure to report your experience to have this chat reviewed and see what we can do to make sure this does not happen again!

Nonetheless, I am glad to hear that you were able to get your issue resolved.

Thank you for reporting back to me about this!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• Tony Brocksmith
    I do sincerely appreciate your help, Anja. You helped me save four or five days. I hope these pointers help someone else who ends up in this unfortunate situation. At a minimum, I'd hope that Quicken would do a better job of letting its customers who are moving to their online product Simplifi, how to preserve manual functionality of desktop Quicken.
  • RosesRRed
    RosesRRed Member ✭✭
    > @Frankx said:
    > Hi @Tony Brocksmith,
    >
    > You should still be able to reconcile your accounts - you just need to reconcile to a paper (or online - accessed through your bank's website or mobile app) statement.  To do that:
    > 1) open the account in Quicken and click on the Gear icon in the upper right;
    > 2) select "Reconcile" from the menu;
    > 3) the reconciliation window should open - select "use paper statement"
    > 4) proceed with the manual reconciliation process - clearing deposits and checks, etc. based on the paper bank statement (or online information referenced above).
    >
    > Let me know if this doesn't work or if you get some kind of error code, etc.
    >
    > Frankx
This discussion has been closed.