Action Button changed from "Enter" to "Pay" for Linked Bills on the Bills & Income tab

Randy W
Randy W Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI
Today I was paying bills from the "Bills & Income" tab and found that the Action button where I have linked the bill to an online biller now shows "Pay" when before it showed "Enter". The "Enter" action is still available as a dropdown when clicking the arrow. The "Pay" action button behaves very differently from the "Enter" action button.

The "Pay" action button that is now displayed as the primary action for a linked bill wants to transmit payment for the bill. I do not have any bills that I pay directly anymore nor have I setup the new Quicken Bill Pay Manager. All my bills are setup to auto debit with the biller from another account. I linked my bills so I would know the amount being debited and would get my statements (most of the time) automatically in Quicken. Now to enter the transactions I must use the dropdown to select the "Enter" action instead of being able to click from the main screen.

Is there a way to select which action button is displayed as the primary on the Bills & Income tab? Or is there a way to indicate a bill is setup to auto-pay with the biller so that the "Enter" action button will be displayed and not the "Pay" action button? I do not want to auto enter transactions because I want to know I have received the bill and that I have planned enough money to be in my account to pay for it when it auto debits.

Quicken - Home, Business, & Rental Property
Year: 2020 Version: R25.10 Build: 27.1.25.10
64-bit OS: Windows 10 Pro Version: 1703 OS Build: 15063.1387
12 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Hello @RandyP

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that the ability to select which action button is displayed in the Bills and Income screen is currently not offered.

I have gone ahead and changed this post to Idea thread so that others may add their vote to have to this feature added.

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,

~~~***~~~
  • MalibuSkier
    MalibuSkier Member ✭✭
    This is kind of a big deal - if some of your bills are auto-pay, and some aren't, you're likely to pay the bill twice (especially if you're forgetful like me). Designating a bill reminder as auto-pay should default to "Enter", otherwise default to "Pay"
  • Richard Roberts
    Richard Roberts Member ✭✭✭
    Have just recently been experiencing a change in auto-bills under the Bills and Income Tab. Several of my "auto pay" bills (Xcel energy, Citi-bank/Costco card, Charter/Spectrum) are showing up as "Online Pay" options in the "Action" Column rather than as an "Enter" option. I have gotten around it by using "Manage Manual Bills" tab and entering the bill that way, but if I try to enter the bill under the "Action" column, it asks me if I want to "send" the bill payment now, later, or ignore. What has happened, and how can I clean this up?
    Thanks for help.
  • Richard Roberts
    Richard Roberts Member ✭✭✭
    It was good to read how you, Randy W, used the drop down arrow to get to the "Enter" option....clearly easier than going to "manage Manual Bills". Agree with MailbuSkier, however, that this is a big deal, and should be changed....as I noted in my comment March 28, this represented a change from how Quicken had operated before, and not a welcome one.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Ideas are reviewed by our development team to see what people would like to be available in the future.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • vicdbrwski
    vicdbrwski Member ✭✭
    This may be asking too much, but is there a way to get specific lines in the "Action" column on that screen ('Bills& Income/Bills, Income, & Transfers") to default as "Enter" instead of "Pay". I thought some of mine used to assume I just wanted to Enter it (as an autopay) but now they are all back to Pay as if I want to send a payment.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @vicdbrwski

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question, although I apologize that this feature isn't currently offered.

I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to add the ability to change the "Pay" option to "Enter."

Be sure to navigate to the top of this post and click the up arrow to add your vote!

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• bmbass
    bmbass Member ✭✭
    This "new" feature (defaulting to PAY instead of ENTER) is actually a BUG that was introduced a while back. It completely messes up how Quicken used to work and now requires much more manual effort to enter an auto-pay bill. So, I have voted above, but this change to Quicken to default some bills to PAY and others to ENTER without correctly honoring the auto-pay we want is really a BUG that needs to be fixed.
  • garysmith87
    garysmith87 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since your autopay transactions are just that...auto pay...there should be NO pay or enter option.

With a scheduled bill reminder, set the Auto Enter XX days in advance.  This will automatically enter the transaction into the appropriate banking register for you.  I usually select between 1 to 3 days in advance.

Additionally, the Scheduled Bill reminder list will designate the transaction as AUTO.

Even if the date is off by a day or two, it doesn't matter as long as its entered in the register.  For those who want to be exact, you can either edit the reminder from the Bill and Income Reminders list or just edit the date after its entered in the register. 

See the visuals for any help.