How do I generate a capital gains report for my stock transactions (Q Mac)

Options
Robert87
Robert87 Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments
Stock transaction report for buys and sell during a selected timeframe
22 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Partially Implemented as of version 6.11. --There is a Schedule D - Capital Gains and Losses report --You can view gains in retirement accounts by clicking Edit>Accounts and choosing the retirement accounts you wish to view.

Comments

• Robert87
    Robert87 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply my quicken for Mac does not show a clear all or a sell selection, are you on a Mac or windows thanks

Used quicken for 30 years on Mac just switched over from quicken for Mac 2007
  • Robert87
    Robert87 Member ✭✭
    Options
    In the portfolio view on the New Mac Quicken there is no column that allows you to track dividends paid, like the old quicken 2007. As a result your total gain does not include cash dividends paid, which over the years can be quite substantial. New to this quicken, does anyone know of a work around. Called support but they were no help at all. Maybe just got the wrong person.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hello @Robert87,

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the Community!

I went ahead and turned this discussion into an Idea thread so that other users are able to vote on it. Our developer's review Idea threads to get an idea of what people would like Quicken to offer.

Be sure to add your vote by clicking on the gray triangle right above the current vote count, located in the blue box at the beginning of this thread:
    Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• rrbatson
    rrbatson Member
    Options
    I see no "Vote count" triangle.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @rrbatso Go to the top of this post and click on the triangle there. I voted for this, so it now shows 1 rather than 0.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    @Robert87  If you're talking about dividends paid in cash, then they show up in the Amount column, as they increase your account balance. If you're talking about reinvested dividends, turn on the Invest Amt column in your register. This shows the dollar value of transactions (such as reinvested dividends) which don't affect your account's cash balance. Is that what you're looking for?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Robert87
    Robert87 Member ✭✭
    Options
    No I am looking for the posted gain or loss on an open or closed position to include all dividends paid along with capital gain or loss. You can then get a true indication. If xyz stock is up $1000 dollars but has also paid $300 in dividends .... your total return us $1300.
    I have used many previous versions of quicken for mac ending with QM2007s.
    The investment and reporting side of the old quicken is what I miss dearly.
  • km-nm
    km-nm Member ✭✭
    Options
    Unfortunately, the Tax Schedule report doesn't work for capital gains held in retirement accounts. So a separate Capital Gains report really would be useful.
  • jacobs
    Options
    @km-nm  Just curious: why do you care about the specific amount of capital gains in a retirement account? I understand wanting to see the overall performance of your investments, but I'm not sure why one would need to see capital gains specifically.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    km-nm said:
    Unfortunately, the Tax Schedule report doesn't work for capital gains held in retirement accounts. So a separate Capital Gains report really would be useful.
    Another place to see Capital Gains/Losses is in the Portfolio View of an account or account group. See screenshot. This works for Retirement Accounts.

The Realized Gains view shows YTD gains.losses for the calendar year of the date specified. Example - to dee gains for 2019, set the Date of the display to 12/31/2019.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Tom Tolles
    Tom Tolles Member ✭✭
    Options
    it seems silly that Quicken cannot give you the information requested by Robert87. You should be able to run a report, over any arbitrary time frame (assuming that the data exists in quicken) for a given investment (like a dividend paying stock) that shows starting value (or investment), cash flows and type during the time frame (such as dividends), and the ending value or sale price. The MS Excel function "XIRR" does a great job calculating the IRR of a series of Cashflows. Quicken should either do the same, or at least let you easily export a series of cash flows for given investment so that you do it yourself.
  • adsoft2015
    adsoft2015 Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I agree that you can get to "some" of this information in the Tax Schedule, but it makes sense to create a set of these reports under the Investments category. I would add to this, that we should also be able to see COMMISSIONS when I run this report. I'd like to know who much I'm paying in commission fees over time. Since we track this information in Quicken it's only fair I should be able to report on it.
    Quicken user since 1992... Version 1!
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    Options

I think a straightforward capital gains report should be a fundamental part of basic investment reports, none of which are offered yet in Quicken Mac. While it is possible to extract the information, it isn't easy or obvious how to configure. A Capital Gains report should exist in Quicken Mac.

• jacobs
    Options

I'm just adding a note to this Idea post to clarify that this request has been partially implemented as of version 6.11 (December 2022). There is now a "Schedule D - Capital Gains and Losses" report to break out just capital gains from the complete Tax Schedule report. This is good!

Also requested above was the ability to see gains for retirement accounts, and this is easily do-able by clicking Edit > Accounts and selecting all or selected retirement accounts. Although capital gains in retirement accounts aren't taxable income, for anyone who wants to see it, it's available. This is good!

But…

• There are several ways capital gains can be generated — gains/losses on sales of securities and capital gains paid by a security — and this report lists them separately. There is no bottom line total.
    • This report uses the "old" reports engine — the carry-over from the 2010-era Quicken Essentials for Mac — so it has such unwelcome features as totals and subtotals above data rather than below — which has been fixed in the "new" reports engine used for most Quicken Mac reports; columns can't be added or hidden; you can't click on a column heading to change the sort order… We need to see this (and the other tax reports) re-writtne using the "new" reports engine.
    • You can't narrow the report criteria to report on a single security (as requested above).
    • you can't see commissions on security sales (as requested above).