Budget Rollover Report (46 Legacy Votes, +4 Merged Votes)

Comments

• Joseph Hanna
    Joseph Hanna Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    So I made this post over three years ago, November 2016. There is still no budget report that includes rollover amounts.

[removed - violation of community guidelines/off-topic]

Each month I have to export my data to an EXCEL spreadsheet then manually create my own report.

We shouldn't need to be doing this.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Joseph Hanna My understanding is that the code for the budget section of the program needs to be significantly re-written to allow them to do budget rollovers as well as budgeting for transfers. The latter is something even more users have been clamoring for, and the developers have publicly committed to implement. None of these changes to budgeting have been released yet, and I expect they have put off re-writing the budget code to get some other long-awaited functionality built into the program. There's no way to know where this is on their priority list, but I'd guess we'll see some of these budget revamps in the coming year.

(Please don't flame me. I'm not offering any excuses -- just an explanation of what I know, and what I'm guessing that will mean in terms of when we will see changes in this area.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Joseph Hanna
    Joseph Hanna Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jacobs,
    Thanks for the response. It's not the budgeting function itself, it's the Budget Report. As stated by many others in this thread, without rollover amounts being included in the Budget Report the report is useless, except for those who do not use the rollover function.
  • jacobs
    When I talked about the budget section of the program, I was referring to the reporting as well. If they plan to make changes to the budget functionality, they likely won't invest time on modifying the report now which will have to be re-done when the budget code is revamped. (Additionally, it's really not just a report; users want the ability to have budget shortfalls or surpluses to rolled into subsequent month's budget amounts.)
  • current software does not allow for category rollover from month to month. Would like for this feature to be added
  • Ken45140
    Ken45140 Member ✭✭✭
    I agree with all that has been said above. I also agree that it should be unnecessary to write Excel code to do what Quicken programmers should be able to do.

However, in exporting the Budget report and pasting it into Excel, I see that the column labeled "Difference" is in fact the "Monthly Balance". What is missing is the "Cumulative Balance" ie, the summation of the monthly Balance (or Difference). The report formats with a blank column between the Balance of one month and the Actual Value of the next Month. Thus is it possible to write a simple Excel Macro to put the proper formulas in the correct cell and then you have the cumulative Balance across the columns of the report. Maybe I am missing something, but if you really want to see the cumulative balance in a printed report, and are willing to write (or use) some fairly simple Excel macro code, you can have the report you want in minutes.

Comments?
    Thanks,
    Ken
  • steeljo3
    steeljo3 Member
    > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    > Hello Horatio,
    >
    > I have moved your post to the ongoing Idea thread to have this feature added to the Mac version.
    >
    > This Idea has been marked as "Planned" meaning feature is planned to be added to the Mac version.
    >
    > However, I am unable provide and ETA of when to expect these feature to be available.
    >
    > Thank you for your patience,
    > -Quicken Tyka

Was wondering if there are any updates on the proposed budget rollover feature for QMAC since being marked as "Planned." If not, do you have a resource that you could link me to so I know when it's released. Thanks in advance.
  • jacobs
    edited January 2020
    @steeljo3 Quicken almost never announces when new features will be released. There are now some topics which have been marked as planned for nearly a year, but are yet to be implemented.

In this case, from reading between the lines of what the product manager has posted regarding budgets, it seems they have to do significant re-writing of the program code for budgets to implement multiple features users have been asking for, including the ability to budget transfers (such as loan payments), rollover functionality, . It's not unusual for them to group several changes in the same area of the code and work on them together, although we don't know if that's the case here.

The best way to know if this feature has been implemented are to (a) bookmark this thread and check it periodically, or (b) check the release notes after each new major release of Quicken Mac, as this will surely be highlighted in the notes when it is delivered. (You can find Release Notes from inside Quicken on the Help Menu, or on the Quicken website here.) 
  • sayrejm
    sayrejm Member
    edited January 2020
    I MUST HAVE THIS FEATURE! Many of my budgets are for future large one time expenses. HOA $1200 a year? Budget $100 a month and turn rollover on! Christmas gifts cost $1200 a year? Budget $100 a month and turn rollover on! Car Tag $120 once a year? Budget $10 a month and turn rollover on! (Removed-Rant)
  • sayrejm
    sayrejm Member
    I Just Voted! Lucky #13
  • Meg2020
    Meg2020 Member
    > @"Jason Stegman" said:
    > ...PLEASE ADD to QMAC so I can stop use a spreadsheet for my 12-month budget.

YESSSS — I second this (while jumping up and down)! Jakob Nielsen would call this a 4 for Mac 12-month budget users — Usability catastrophe: imperative to fix this before product can be released! (I paid for the upgrade, but just cancelled it because the website does not say that it doesn't work for mac users.)

THANK YOU!!!!! I know you can do it! :smiley:
  • hatTia
    hatTia Member ✭✭
    This feature I believe is being worked on as it is similar concept to Savings Goals.

Here is the post that has it under constructer for several years.

<a rel="nofollow" href="https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7333033/qmac-savings-goals-110-legacy-votes#latest" title="Link: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7333033/qmac-savings-goals-110-legacy-votes#latest">https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7333033/qmac-savings-goals-110-legacy-votes#latest</a>;

Recommend trying [removed - no soliciting] for Rollover Budgeting. Sometimes just leaving the company, and taking business else where due to lack of key functionality.

Also, recommend Quicken look at an easier way for users to identify features they like, and up vote them. This will give Quicken more transparency into what their Mac Quicken user community want. I have found several posts on the same thing.

While there will be those who don't look, and just post, the search feature in finding similar topics could be improved. My 2 cents for what its worth to Quicken.
  • jacobs
    @Quicken_Natalie  Isn't this request really the same thing as the Budget Rollover feature many users have asked for, as embodied in this idea thread…

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7475086/add-rollover-option-for-12-month-budgets

I'd note that that Idea is marked as "Planned".

There's also this thread…

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7363462/budget-rollover-report-43-legacy-votes

…which was just recently marked "Under Consideration" and submitted for review on 6/1/20. 

I haven't read every comment in all the threads, but all three of these ideas seem like they are the same thing: a way for Quicken to show the cumulative under- or over-budget you are in each budget category. I'm not sure why one is "Planned" and one is "Under Review", but I believe this could be merged with either one, or they could all emerged together (which might be too messy to do).
  • taswope
    taswope Member ✭✭
    I agree with the major sentiment of this thread. Thanks for making a great product. Including a budget rollover feature would make this far more functional for my needs.
  • taswope
    taswope Member ✭✭
    > @Joseph Hanna said:
    > It would be nice to have the capability to create a budget report that includes rollover balances from the previous month/period.

Hello @Quicken_Tyka, @smayer97 , just trying to keep this thread alive. This is a really important feature to me and at least 23 others :) I hope that it can be implemented in a future version!
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trying to move from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac (have a subscription so can use either as I choose) and finally have everything moved over and syncing...but now I see that budgets are for a single month only? What is the use of that?

Just about every category I use rolls over from month to month and year to year. Also, my income varies greatly month-to-month so if income can't roll over what value to I use? An average make a mess over over and under.

Please please make Quicken Mac budgets have the same optional per category rollover from month to month and year to year.
    -Jay
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    [removed - off-topic/sarcastic/unhelpful]
    -Jay
  • OscarVB
    OscarVB Member ✭✭
    Just abandoned my second attempt (first was a year ago) at moving from Windows to Mac version. The lack of rollover budgeting is a an absolute deal-breaker. This is budgeting 101. If you can't save some money in one month to use in a later month to meet a big expense, you're not really budgeting.

I'm a CPA who has been using the Windows budgeting tool since 2010. Unfortunately, I'm also a Mac user. Please, Quicken people: give us the Windows-equivalent product that you've been promising us for years.

Mac budgeters, we should post on this thread every week to keep it near the top until this feature is added.
  • taswope
    taswope Member ✭✭
    Agreed. Yes, please!
  • charlimcghee
    charlimcghee Member ✭✭
    I don't just want this feature I NEED this feature. I understand the Windows version has it - but Mac doesn't. For me, they may as well have decided not to add the SUM feature - pretty basic. PRETTY PLEASE
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    While I totally agree that budgets are a useless mess without monthly and yearly rollovers, I've found a way that sort of works as a clunky workaround. On the budget screen, the first column shows (if you pick the option) Budget Year-to-Date Totals. The second column of numbers in this section (in red or green) appear to be totaling the spending and the budget for all months and thus are rolling over both over and under spending within the year. (Can someone else add up their activity for a category and compare it on their 2020 budget before they move to 2021.)

I am then capturing this over or under into a separate spreadsheet for each category and adding the January budget amount to arrive at a January 2021 starting budget.

I think ignore the individual month columns since they don't include rollover and only look at the first Year-to-Date area. This is ever so slightly more useful as I at least know where I am in the yearly budget.

Note that this does not translate to Quicken Mobile at all so it is a useless workaround for mobile.

Thoughts on this while we wait for our Quicken programmers to implement a real and usable budget with month-to-month and year-to-year rollovers as well as different budgets for each year. (You know, like Windows has...)
    -Jay
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just adding an update that as of Feb-2021 no rollovers yet. It is on their planned list so someday. (People asked last year and it hasn't been made clear since Oct-2019 that is still isn't there.)
    -Jay
  • charlimcghee
    charlimcghee Member ✭✭
    I am looking forward to this happening - someday!
  • jshaf
    jshaf Member ✭✭
    YES!!!! Biggest functionality missing from Windows version. I used this very much to keep my finances in order and understand where/when the money was moving.
  • taswope
    taswope Member ✭✭
    Hi,

I am currently torn with whether or not I should keep waiting for a budget rollover feature in Quicken for Mac or give up waiting and install Windows on my Mac so that I can run the Windows version of Quicken. My financial advisor is just as perplexed as to why this feature does not exist in the Mac version.

Please, please update us on whether we can expect this feature anytime soon!

Thanks for considering!
  • jacobs
    @taswope  Quicken almost never comments on or announces features for the future -- and never when a particular feature will come out.

This seems to me to be a feature which they will inevitably implement, since it exists in Quicken Windows and since so many Mac users are asking for it. But there's no way to know where they rank this among hundreds of feature requests from users. A feature that doesn't yet exist is most often because their development team has not yet had the time to devote to it; the development team is small, the program is complex, and they only get to a limited number of feature requests per year. 
  • DuffyBearSACPA
    DuffyBearSACPA Member
    edited June 2021
    It would be nice to have a roll-over column at the beginning of the year's budget in each category reflecting the amount not spent the prior year. I would really help and more accurately show the amount available in that budget category, especially if that budget category is for a special item or rainy day savings category.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    [Edited-Merged]
    ~~~***~~~
  • JayBugs
    JayBugs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Isn’t this just the same as all the other suggestions to add rollover budgeting (month-to-month and year-to-year) like the Windows Quicken has? It is really needed. This seems like we are splitting votes by note just adding this to the existing suggestion thread.
    -Jay