How do I correct the CUSIP ID on a security?

wilson_carter
wilson_carter Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Investing (Windows)
I am showing the CUSPID for SPYD that is incorrect. It should be on SPYV, as a result all my dividends and downloaded transactions go to the incorrect security (apparently it downloads based on the CUSPID, but updates to the register based on the Security. I cannot find a way to edit the CUSPID.

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @wilson_carter, As explained above, you cannot edit the CUSIP ID directly.

If you hold both ETFs and the dividends are being posted incorrectly, you should go to the Security Detail view for each security. Click on Edit Security Details and un-check the Matched with Online security box. This will clear out the CUSIP.

The next time Quicken has a transaction to download for one of the securities, you should see a dialog asking which security the transaction should be associated with. Carefully select the correct security from the list and the CUSIP should be assigned correctly.

If you haven't already, you will need to correct any transactions already in Quicken that are assigned to the incorrect security.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    I edited the title of this post from CUSPID to CUSIP ID
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I read @Sherlock 's response few times to fully comprehend the behavior - Thank you @Sherlock . I wish we could edit and manually enter the CUSIP ID value in Quicken (enhancement request, tho very minor). I have few instances where the FI is not providing the CUSIP ID, so it is blank. Yet I have researched and verified the correct CUSIP value and wish I could simply enter it to [wishfully] create a match. So I second the original post.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    BK said:
    I read @Sherlock 's response few times to fully comprehend the behavior - Thank you @Sherlock . I wish we could edit and manually enter the CUSIP ID value in Quicken (enhancement request, tho very minor). I have few instances where the FI is not providing the CUSIP ID, so it is blank. Yet I have researched and verified the correct CUSIP value and wish I could simply enter it to [wishfully] create a match. So I second the original post.
    @BK  If a security doesn't have a CUSIP ID, the security has not been matched to a security provided by the FI.   I suspect you may have mismatched the security.  The issue should be apparent when you compare the holdings:  select Tools > Online Center, the FI, the account, the Holdings tab, and Compare to Portfolio...
  • wilson_carter
    wilson_carter Member ✭✭
    The issue (which has occurred on my Brother in Law's account as well, is that a financial institution (FI) is reporting an incorrect CUSPID for two ETFs. SPYV and SPYD. When dividends are posted, dividends for SPYV show up on the register as though they were dividends for SPYD (and vice versa). When dealing with a managed account that includes both these ETFs it can obviously cause problems and confusion as the amount of the mismatch is not necessarily the amount of the transaction, it is the difference between the transactions. My question is: Can the CUSPID be edited?
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    @wilson_carter, As explained above, you cannot edit the CUSIP ID directly.

If you hold both ETFs and the dividends are being posted incorrectly, you should go to the Security Detail view for each security. Click on Edit Security Details and un-check the Matched with Online security box. This will clear out the CUSIP.

The next time Quicken has a transaction to download for one of the securities, you should see a dialog asking which security the transaction should be associated with. Carefully select the correct security from the list and the CUSIP should be assigned correctly.

If you haven't already, you will need to correct any transactions already in Quicken that are assigned to the incorrect security.

• jbethgoss
    jbethgoss Member ✭✭
    I have seen Sherlock answer this problem in several threads with a statement that doesn't appear to be true:
    "The CUSIP ID is assigned to a Quicken security when we match an online security to a Quicken security. Quicken should prompt to match an online security to a Quicken security when the financial institution provides a security with a CUSIP ID that has not been assigned to a Quicken security. If a Quicken security has been mismatched, we may uncheck Matched with online security on the Edit Security Details window and the Quicken security will become available to be matched to an online security when Quicken next encounters an unmatched online security."
    I have several cases of securities in Quicken WITH NO CUSIP ID. I have unchecked the "match with online security" box for this security, and confirmed in the security list that the CUSIP ID field is blank. I do know the correct ticker symbol and name and other identifying information on the security. When I attempt a QIF import for what is certainly a transaction in this security, Quicken replies with "unrecognized security" but does NOT offer the choice to match with an existing Quicken security. Therefore the second sentence in the above quotation "...should prompt..." --is not true; Quicken is NOT prompting for a match. What is offered is the choice to create a new security. When I accept this choice, the security created includes a 4-digit entry in the CUSIP ID field which cannot be a real CUSIP, since real CUSIP numbers are 9-characters long.
    If Q is really using CUSIP to uniquely identify securities, it should allow users to make corrections.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    jbethgoss said:
    When I attempt a QIF import for what is certainly a transaction in this security, Quicken replies with "unrecognized security" but does NOT offer the choice to match with an existing Quicken security. Therefore the second sentence in the above quotation "...should prompt..." --is not true; Quicken is NOT prompting for a match. What is offered is the choice to create a new security. When I accept this choice, the security created includes a 4-digit entry in the CUSIP ID field which cannot be a real CUSIP, since real CUSIP numbers are 9-characters long.
    If Q is really using CUSIP to uniquely identify securities, it should allow users to make corrections.
    Importing by QIF is completely different from importing using QFX or Direct Connect.

The QIF format only has a security name in transactions.  It has no ticker information or CUSIP.  The matching to a security is purely by security name and it has to be exact for one they you already have in Quicken.

All the information that you are referencing has to do with QFX/Direct Connect and as such doesn't apply to your problem.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Financial-Health
    Financial-Health Member ✭✭
    Having an issue with my 401(k). Doesn't have it's own symbol. Has a CUSIP though. My account values are incorrect because it's treating it like another security. I would like to change the CUSIP so the securities match. Doesn't appear there is a way to do that currently.
  • Jim_Harman
    You can't can't CUSIP directly, but if you de-select Matched with Online Security, the CUSIP is cleared and the next time you have transactions to download Quicken will show the Match dialog. Carefully select the correct security and you should be good to go
This discussion has been closed.