When I report a problem, why is it ignored and not fixed?

Quicken Problem Reported (11-8-19)

This issue has existed for many years: older versions as well as this current one. When I save a report (I have many), the columns do not remain the width I save them. With multiple levels of sub-categories, the date column never stays the width I can view the date when I re-open the report -- I always have to widen it to see any part of the date. Other columns don't always remain the width I save them either. But the DATE COLUMN is the worst. Seems like with each category level, less of the date column can be saved. PLEASE fix that. It would also be VERY useful to have a button to apply a column width change to ALL reports in the Report History. I have Report Histories going back 20+ years for some categories.

Now, since a recent update, my reports not only have the Date column compressed to not be visible, but also the Amount column is compressed.

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877455/fix-banking-and-investment-transaction-reports-so-fields-are-correctly-justified-edited

The decision as to which issues get addressed and when is complicated.  Issues that are considered critical will be addressed first.  The resolution of the remaining issues will depend on many related factors: importance, visibility, reproducibility, complexity, effort, risk, resources...

Note:  The longer an issue has existed, the less likely it is to be addressed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    "Ignored" is probably the wrong term.  Edit:  Neglected is probably more likely.

If you go to someone and say put this on your list to fix, and they say OK and put it on the list.  They aren't "ignoring" it.  And if that list has thousands of things on it and they never find time to work on that problem, they still aren't "ignoring" it, but it can certainly feel like it.

For what it is worth I can tell you that this kind of problem has been reported for as long as I can remember.  There are a few reports that actually will remember the column widths and then there are some that have never remembered the width.  And to make things worse lately is seems they have been in their tweaking them and the default sizes they have been ending up with are quite terrible.  There is even currently a problem where number aren't being lined up properly when they were in the past.

As bad as that sounds that might be a sign of hope.

@Sherlock mentioned the longer a problem exists the less likely it will be fixed.  This is for two reasons one is that they did look at and couldn't find a way to fix it.  And the other is that Quicken has a ton of features and that means at any given time there will be sections of Quicken that they just "leave alone".  The very fact that there is more activity (even bad activity at the moment) might mean that they are at least looking at that area, and might be more open to changing things in that area.

Hopefully that will be the case with the report column width, which have needed some work for all these years.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    If you haven't already you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877455/fix-banking-and-investment-transaction-reports-so-fields-are-correctly-justified-edited

The decision as to which issues get addressed and when is complicated.  Issues that are considered critical will be addressed first.  The resolution of the remaining issues will depend on many related factors: importance, visibility, reproducibility, complexity, effort, risk, resources...

Note:  The longer an issue has existed, the less likely it is to be addressed.
  • Thank you. I did use the "Report a problem to Quicken", more than once. It's not that I was actually expecting a response personally, though that would be the proper thing to do if my issue was legitimate (it is), but an actual fix to the problem would be best and suffice. That hasn't happened yet, and it's been ongoing for several years. That's why I ask "Why is it ignored and not fixed?"
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One way to get the attention of the developers is to create and/or vote on an Idea post that clearly describes the problem. For the problem of report column widths not being saved, please see
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7827617/qwin-reports-default-column-width-13-merged-votes/p1
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020 Answer ✓
    "Ignored" is probably the wrong term.  Edit:  Neglected is probably more likely.

If you go to someone and say put this on your list to fix, and they say OK and put it on the list.  They aren't "ignoring" it.  And if that list has thousands of things on it and they never find time to work on that problem, they still aren't "ignoring" it, but it can certainly feel like it.

For what it is worth I can tell you that this kind of problem has been reported for as long as I can remember.  There are a few reports that actually will remember the column widths and then there are some that have never remembered the width.  And to make things worse lately is seems they have been in their tweaking them and the default sizes they have been ending up with are quite terrible.  There is even currently a problem where number aren't being lined up properly when they were in the past.

As bad as that sounds that might be a sign of hope.

@Sherlock mentioned the longer a problem exists the less likely it will be fixed.  This is for two reasons one is that they did look at and couldn't find a way to fix it.  And the other is that Quicken has a ton of features and that means at any given time there will be sections of Quicken that they just "leave alone".  The very fact that there is more activity (even bad activity at the moment) might mean that they are at least looking at that area, and might be more open to changing things in that area.

Hopefully that will be the case with the report column width, which have needed some work for all these years.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.