Using Chase I get an OL-301-A when attempting to send payments [edited]

Answers

• TracieK
    TracieK Member ✭✭
    I had 25k worth of teed up payments in the Chase online site due to this issue!!! Thankfully a very helpful Chase customer service rep named Carlos helped to cancel them. They can't do a mass cancel but between him and I on the phone together both doing it, we got it all done. The other option was to delete the payee and reset it up but I had too many pending payments for one payee so it could not be deleted. Hope to hear about the fix soon, in the meantime good think I kept the paper bills so I can send the payments!
  • Winter001
    Winter001 Member ✭✭
    > @TracieK said:
    > I had 25k worth of teed up payments in the Chase online site due to this issue!!! Thankfully a very helpful Chase customer service rep named Carlos helped to cancel them. They can't do a mass cancel but between him and I on the phone together both doing it, we got it all done. The other option was to delete the payee and reset it up but I had too many pending payments for one payee so it could not be deleted. Hope to hear about the fix soon, in the meantime good think I kept the paper bills so I can send the payments!

Curious, why you had to get "Carlos" , a Chase rep to assist you in deleting the pending payments. All you would have had to do is to sign into your Chase account and delete them all yourself ........ which is easy easy to do.
  • Jason Gittman
    Jason Gittman Member ✭✭✭
    Today is Friday, July 31st....Does anyone know if the Chase Bill Pay through Quicken has been fixed yet.

Here are 2 workarounds:

1) Pay your bill on the Chase bank website. Have it entered into Quicken by downloading the QFX file from your account on Chase. The payment will then show up in the register AFTER the bill is paid. (I also have a separate Chase Business account and I use this method because Chase was charging me $10/month for direct downloads.)

2) Pay your bill on the Chase bank website and then enter it manually in the Quicken register. Type in "Sent" in the appropriate column and then Quicken won't attempt to send the payment.
  • GeneK43
    GeneK43 Member
    Still getting OL-301-A error. Very frustrating
  • TracieK
    TracieK Member ✭✭
    > @Winter001 said:
    > > @TracieK said:
    > > I had 25k worth of teed up payments in the Chase online site due to this issue!!! Thankfully a very helpful Chase customer service rep named Carlos helped to cancel them. They can't do a mass cancel but between him and I on the phone together both doing it, we got it all done. The other option was to delete the payee and reset it up but I had too many pending payments for one payee so it could not be deleted. Hope to hear about the fix soon, in the meantime good think I kept the paper bills so I can send the payments!
    >
    > Curious, why you had to get "Carlos" , a Chase rep to assist you in deleting the pending payments. All you would have had to do is to sign into your Chase account and delete them all yourself ........ which is easy easy to do.

Hi - I had hundreds of duplicate payments due to trying to resend a bunch of times, it would have taken me hours to go one by one
  • Winter001
    Winter001 Member ✭✭
    2:40 pm EST Chase is working aok again with Quicken! 8-)
  • BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello:

Confirming several other reports of success, I sent a payment for Chase Bill Pay, via an entry in my Quicken register, and a One Step Update, (OSU), and it was properly recorded in my Chase account information, as verified by logging into Chase via Firefox, and examining the Bill Pay Payment Activity for the appropriate account.  I sent the payment around 1:00 pm, and verified that it was received and properly posted around 3:45 pm.  No error messages, no other issues, at least that I can see at this time.

Thanks to all users and Quicken and Chase folks who helped get this fixed.

Also, as it is clear that different people have had different experiences, I recommend that all users check results for a few days to confirm that payments are being made as intended, and without duplicate payments.

FWIW, Chase Bill Pay has several nice features that I wasn't aware of, until I started using it to replace the old Quicken Bill Pay earlier this year.  I recommend, (again), that Quicken consider these features for future improvements.  For each payment, it shows a timeline when you click on payment details.  It shows when the payment was "scheduled", when it is "On its Way" or deducted from my checking account, (at the time the check is mailed, or sent via EFT) and when it is "Completed", (clears in the case of a paper check).  When paper checks clear, a copy of the cleared check is also provided on the details page for the payment.  Also, you can essentially pay any amount, (I'm sure there are limits, but I haven't run into any of them).  This includes amounts well over the "amount due" or even the current balance in the account you are sending the payment for, which allows you to cover amounts not yet posted or billed, but expected.  This can be very useful when you want to "pay ahead", for various reasons.  I asked it be included with the new Quicken payment system, back early this year, but from the descriptions and instructions I have read to date, you cannot schedule such payments, (over the amount due or over the current balance), in that system.

Thanks again,
    BobC

Thanks,
    BobC

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Subscription, Build 27.1.52.28,
    Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS build 22621.2283 Exp 1000.22662.1000.0

• RickNY
    RickNY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I see there was an announcement that the Chase issue with OL-301A was resolved a couple of days ago, but I am now receiving this error when attempting to download from Chase.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @RickNY,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

If you haven't already, please, try the steps below to resolve this error.
    1. In Quicken, select the Tools menu, then choose Online Center.
    2. Click the Financial Institution dropdown arrow and select the financial institution.
    3. Press CTRL+Shift while selecting Contact Info.
    4. Select one of the accounts associated with the bank from the dropdown list
    5. Select Financial Institution Branding and Profile from the list and click Refresh.
    6. Click the Update/Send button. 
    7. Attempt your online session again.
    If you still receive the same error after trying the steps above, I recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support for further assistance as our support agents may need to collect and review your log files.

I hope this helps!

[edited for correction]

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also woke to find the Chase download issue -
    Found this posting - followed the instructions - and all downloads are good,
    along with the Chase upload for Bill Payments (covered in an Alert & posting)
    Select Financial Institution Branding and Profile from the list and click Refresh.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• steebadeeb
    steebadeeb Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    And here we go again. August 1st and I can't even tell if this issue was fixed because now I get the OL301 error just by doing a One Step Update or update directly from the register. This is without sending a payment instruction, just my daily update.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    new Chase issue - for just DOWNLOAD - see message below - August 1 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Just in case you now have DOWNLOAD issues - August 1 -
    new Chase issue - must have changed server names - for access & downloading -
    follow these instructions - worked for me -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• steebadeeb
    steebadeeb Member ✭✭
    This also worked for me although after I refreshed the Financial Institution Branding Profile and clicked refresh there is no OK button to click and it didn't work until I closed out of Quicken and restarted Quicken. Always a fun time fixing Quicken!
  • steebadeeb
    steebadeeb Member ✭✭
    Refreshing the bank worked for me although not without closing Quicken and restarting.
  • johnjelinek
    johnjelinek Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    The Chase OL-301 error was resolved on 7/31 and I was able to schedule a payment using Quicken on 7/31. However, this morning (8/1) the OL-301 error message returned when I tried to schedule a payment. I contacted Quicken support and was referred to the Alert ID: 7831339 and it said it was resolved. I was told that it was a Chase problem and that Chase had disabled online bill pay from their end. I called Chase and was told that they had fixed it on their end and that it is a Quicken problem involving password and duplicate payment issues. Please help me find a solution. Thank you.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Anja said:
    2. Click the Financial Institution dropdown arrow and select the financial institution.
    5. Select Financial Institution Branding and Profile from the list and click Refresh.
    6. Click OK and go online by clicking the Update/Send button.
    nit....
    there is no OK after the REFRESH and before clicking UPDATE/SEND

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Just in case you now have DOWNLOAD issues - August 1 -
    new Chase issue - must have changed server names - for access & downloading -
    follow these instructions - worked for me -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• johnjelinek
    johnjelinek Member ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. I tried the steps shown and I received the OL-301-A error again.
  • Tom M
    Tom M Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I'm having trouble this morning too (10:40am EDT), getting an OL-301-A error accessing my Chase credit card.

I checked my Chase account to make sure my Account Safe profile still has permissions for desktop software to access my account (it does). I'm connected to Chase via Direct Connect. All other financial institutions accessed via Direct Connect work with no issues.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Have you closed and re-opened Quicken ?
    Sure you carefully walked the Refresh steps...
    - selected CHASE from the entries & the account .
    - checkmarked the FI Branding from the Refresh list
    - Update/Send to re-invoke OSU
    what happens if you use OSU and just download from Chase -
    without uploading any bill payment entries.
    -----
    6. Go  online by clicking the Update/Send button.
    7. Close Quicken - Re-open - Attempt your online session again.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• TimeCitizen
    TimeCitizen Member ✭✭
    I followed these instructions just as displayed including selecting Financial Institution Branding and Profile from the list before clicking Refresh and I am still getting an OL-301-A error when I try to download the transactions.
  • jc828
    jc828 Member ✭✭
    When this whole problem started, I changed the online setup of my Chase accounts to express web connect, rather than direct connect, so no payment instructions would be sent from Quicken to my bank. Now that (supposedly) the problem is fixed, I tried to change my Chase accounts back to direct connect. I will not allow me to do that. It comes back with an error. So I'm still using just express web connect for the time being.

Has everyone else been able to go back to using direct connect, and using the bill pay functionality from within Quicken? Is the problem really fixed?
  • RickNY
    RickNY Member ✭✭
    I followed these instructions, and continued to get the OL-301A error.. Then I restarted Quicken and performed the update again.. Now I am receiving "OL-293-A Quicken is unable to update your account because unexpected information was received from your financial institution"
  • RickNY
    RickNY Member ✭✭
    Tried it again one more time - and the OL-301A error returned
  • Kurt
    Kurt Member ✭✭
    As of today 8/1 I am still getting the OL-301-A from Chase bank using either the OSU or downloading from specific Chase accounts. I did the procedure to refresh the institution branding and restarting Quicken. This situation is now worse for me because I cannot download transactions from Chase using the specific account. This worked before. Both functions are broken.
  • fw6322
    fw6322 Unconfirmed ✭✭✭
    I followed ps56K instructions and it worked for me. Remeber to restart Quicken.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Thank you all for trying the steps and following up. 

Since that still did not resolve it for some of you, I suggest reaching out to Quicken Support for further assistance. Our support agents may need to collect and review your log files for any internal errors that may be causing this.

Also, @steebadeeb and @ps56k thank you both for pointing out that there is no OK to click on in step 6. I will correct this in my original response.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• johnjelinek
    johnjelinek Member ✭✭
    I followed ps56K, restarted Quicken, and then clicked the Update/Send button in the Online Center and it worked.
  • johnjelinek
    johnjelinek Member ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the restart step.
This discussion has been closed.