Paycheck splits are removed/cleared when Syncing with Cloud and includes 401k line item

13

Answers

  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Hello all,

    I apologize for the delay, unfortunately, I do not have any new details.

    This issue is still an ongoing issue we're working on a fix for this issue, but do not have an ETA on the resolution at this time.

    Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

    QWIN-17288
    ~~~***~~~
  • mikek753
    mikek753 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I had to disable Mobile and Cloud to stop getting those extreme bad surprises.
    you, actually just don't know when and which transaction gets $0 upon cloud sync, that you discover only later and have no idea to which backup to go.
    even you can go back to the backup then you have to redo all work since that backup time.
    so much time to be wasted.

    (Removed- No Soliciting) 
    yes, I'm very disappointed by Quicken to handle this long standing issue and without any ETA.

    all those advertised features like cloud and mobile that I just can't use at all, or it ruins my data.

    one time I though that sync to cloud is one way and it's read only to my data, but it doesn't look like based on this issues.

    why "one way" sync to Cloud corrupts the data?
  • Ajay
    Ajay Member ✭✭✭
    Very Very frustrating and disappointing. I have fixed all my paycheck entries (30 entries or more for both mine and my wife's paycheck) 4 months back after turning off the web/mobile sync. But somehow the web sync got turned on automatically probably due to quicken updates. And now all my paycheck entries are corrupted again 😡🤬. I have been taking daily/weekly backup and restored it until April 30 but no luck. 

    I would probably call Quicken and refund me the money for the time I have spent fixing my entries and also refund for my subscription.

    TIP for Quicken users, before running one step update/sync your data, make sure your mobile/web sync is turned off.
  • Diver42420
    Diver42420 Member ✭✭
    I'm using QW Deluxe 28.10. In July I had a problem recently where a paycheck was auto-entered in the register (per my setting in Bill & Income Reminders). When we got the actual stub I tried to go into the splits and adjust the taxes, but no matter how I opened the splits (Ctrl-S or using the button) it would show zeros for all split categories for that check.

    If I hovered over the category, where it says --Paycheck-- it would show me the splits correctly! I opened a support ticket and ultimately had to delete the transaction and then copy/paste another one and change the date.

    Now I'm trying to do my budget for July and the paychecks category is off because apparently it doesn't see this copied paycheck as a 'real' paycheck. Is there any way to fix this?
  • Robert Armani
    Robert Armani Member ✭✭✭
    Just follow Ajay's advice and it'll work.
  • gregteft
    gregteft Member ✭✭
    Since update on 8/15/20, previously entered paychecks no longer have line items, transfers disconnected, reminder says "Done" and can not be edited. 'Validate' didn't correct. This was a new file in January, new 'wizard' reminder created at that time.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Do you have Mobile & Web turned on?  I saw one post where the user said he was able to fix his paycheck transactions by turning that off.  You can read it on the 3rd page at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7872816/paycheck-splits-are-removed-cleared-when-syncing-with-cloud-and-includes-401k-line-item/p3.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)
  • gregteft
    gregteft Member ✭✭
    I recently updated 2020 to R27.42 (27.1.27.42) and most paycheck entries are entirely corrupted. There doesn't seem to be any new discussion on this, and all the old discussions are closed with no indication of a resolution. There are no 'split' entries, and transfers from the paycheck to savings and investing accounts are disconnected. Repair only made it worse. Additionally the paycheck reminder (as well as one other bill reminder) status is "done" and can not be edited. This was a new file for this year. Previously the occasional transfer would get disconnected and duplicated by repair, but this time the issues are much worse. Are people just not using this buggy feature any more?
  • gregteft
    gregteft Member ✭✭
    I do, and can try that -- kind of two important features though to have this problem with :-\


    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > Do you have Mobile & Web turned on?  I saw one post where the user said he was able to fix his paycheck transactions by turning that off.  You can read it on the 3rd page at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7872816/paycheck-splits-are-removed-cleared-when-syncing-with-cloud-and-includes-401k-line-item/p3.
  • gregteft
    gregteft Member ✭✭
    This seems to have been 'in work' for a very long time based on prior threads. I am a veteran software engineer. Please email me if I can support in some way, present the problems via a webex, or if there's a way I can access debug options and access the hidden registers to dig more deeply on my side. turning off mobile sync didn't correct the corrupted entries, and I still have two scheduled 'bills and deposits' that are "Done" with no due date that the context menu won't even come up for to be able to delete them.

    The paycheck wizard really ought to just be an alternate interface for entering spilts.

    > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I apologize for the delay, unfortunately, I do not have any new details.
    >
    > This issue is still an ongoing issue we're working on a fix for this issue, but do not have an ETA on the resolution at this time.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > -Quicken Tyka
  • Z-man
    Z-man Member ✭✭
    not sure if this is exactly the same issue as others are having - my paycheck entries (scheduled and accepting matching downloaded net amount from bank) are being switched from --paycheck-- to salary and no longer show the breakdown of the paycheck. Seems to be limited to transactions in 2020. it's affecting most, but not all paychecks.

    It's painful because my wife's hourly so her pay varies and I like to refer back to the gross on her pay for our charitable tithes. I guess I need to start keeping her paper paychecks when she brings them home!

    Quicken 2020 r28.18 build 27.1.28.18
    Been using Quicken since 1997 and am seriously thinking of going elsewhere...so many little issues.
  • mikek753
    mikek753 Member ✭✭
    > @Z-man said:
    > not sure if this is exactly the same issue as others are having - my paycheck entries (scheduled and accepting matching downloaded net amount from bank) are being switched from --paycheck-- to salary and no longer show the breakdown of the paycheck. Seems to be limited to transactions in 2020. it's affecting most, but not all paychecks.
    >
    > It's painful because my wife's hourly so her pay varies and I like to refer back to the gross on her pay for our charitable tithes. I guess I need to start keeping her paper paychecks when she brings them home!
    >
    > Quicken 2020 r28.18 build 27.1.28.18
    > Been using Quicken since 1997 and am seriously thinking of going elsewhere...so many little issues.

    do you have mobile sync as enabled?
  • mikek753
    mikek753 Member ✭✭
    > @gregteft said:
    > This seems to have been 'in work' for a very long time based on prior threads. I am a veteran software engineer. Please email me if I can support in some way, present the problems via a webex, or if there's a way I can access debug options and access the hidden registers to dig more deeply on my side. turning off mobile sync didn't correct the corrupted entries, and I still have two scheduled 'bills and deposits' that are "Done" with no due date that the context menu won't even come up for to be able to delete them.
    >

    no, turn off mobile sync doesn't and will not fix already corrupted transactions.
    I had to redo all for current and past years manually.
    using restore from prev backup wasn't the option for me, as I didn't know when paycheck corruption happen

    I run report to identify all corrupted paycheck transactions and had to fix those and also remove former related transactions in 401k and etc accounts that are part of my paycheck.
    I was mad ... as I needed tax planner to tell me about estimated taxes and it just didn't work
  • Robert Armani
    Robert Armani Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    If your paychecks are pretty much the same every time, just copy the transaction that is not affected and paste it with a new date. Just modify any deductions. 

    It was doing fine for the past few months, but for some reason it came back today for me. I know it's irritating, but [at least] copy and paste transaction feature makes it a little faster than reentering. 
  • Quicken user for 25 years. Just created a community account just so that I can pile on here and express frustration that this major issue is not resolved, is not listed as a known issue and is not in front of your support team for awareness.
    Randomly deleting pay check transfers is bad of course, but bugs happen.
    What's unacceptable is not fixing it and not raising it for awareness.
    PLEASE help give this some priority.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭
    I hate to say it, but its reassuring to know that so many other people are having this exact problem.  I would think it is my file but this only happens with mobile sync.  I wasted a day yesterday trying to resolving hoping that this issue was addressed.  I will not try again until I finally see an update specifically addressing this unacceptable flaw.  Until it is fixed, Quicken should suspend the feature and save so many the frustration of discovering this menace.
  • bawalsh
    bawalsh Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I just wanted to add that I just recently started to see this issue. It has happened for each of the past 4 or 5 paychecks. Sometime after the transactions are reconciled the original paycheck entry loses the info on all transactions. The original deposit amount shows up but there is nothing in the transaction if you click to view the details. All of the split deposits into other accounts (besides the primary deposit) get duplicated. So it looks like I have way more money than I actually have.

    This just recently started. It happens to be right when I enabled sync to web. I just turned off that feature and hopefully this problem goes away.

    I did not realize that sync to web was not a one way sync. Why would sync to web try to make local changes. I never logged into the website and viewed anything.

    It is not the first long standing critical bug I have had to deal with. At least this one sounds like it has a workaround.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    If turning off mobile or web sync mitigates the problem I would like to know. This horrible bug and the fact that it is not even listed in "known outstanding problems" has caused me to stop wanting to update/use Quicken.
  • I have been having this same issue and have commented on the previous posts that have been closed and yet, nothing has been fixed.

    This is ridiculous QUICKEN!! The Paycheck entry is such a foundational transaction - it needs to be FIXED

    I have three transfers from my paycheck (401k, HSA and to a savings account). I cant count how many times I've painstakingly fixed these issues only to find them reappear once again a month or so later.

    I've been a long time Quicken user since 1993ish and have a lot of data in my files that really makes me want to continue using the product but once my current subscription is up I will probably be making a very hard decision to move on....
  • Robert Armani
    Robert Armani Member ✭✭✭
    If the web sync is not that important for you, then turn it off  [like suggested in earlier posts] until the fix is available. 
  • chief1121
    chief1121 Member ✭✭
    turning off web sync does not work either. I enter every transaction manually and do not ever connect to my banks through Quicken and I also have the same problem with using the paycheck function with my military non-taxable allotments.
  • tagaki
    tagaki Member
    This one got me too. Dozens of paychecks that I can't edit without deleting all the splits. Double entries from those paychecks into the transfer accounts (401k, ESPP, HSA). Has anyone found a work around to recover those paychecks? Can some one put a step by step guide here as well as how to identify the checks that have good splits in the background but who's paycheck wizard dialog box is not working?
  • JamesM
    JamesM Member ✭✭
    I am have been having the same problem for nearly a year, now. I have been a Quicken user since 1996, so this very buggy subscription and the seemingly unsolvable bug is very disappointing. I am actively looking for a replacement due the the inordinate amount of time I send CORRECTING Quicken's entries. I, too, have a paycheck that is split into separate direct deposits to three different banks. I have even deleted my old paycheck template and rebuilt it, to no avail. I am NOT synching to the cloud and mobile capability. I spend less time unwinding the errors if I record the paycheck entry before it arrives, but it still shows as the proper amount deposited to my primary account (the one that receives the remainder after the other designated split amounts). but it then injects a *TRANSFER* from that account to one (yes, only ONE) of the other accounts for the amount deposited to the other account. The third account one seems to be entered properly, but maybe my manual fixing of the primary fixed it before I looked, there.

    It seems that if first commit the paycheck form then synch with my banks directly (not via the cloud interface), so that I see the entries and accept them, they are wrong. No matter how much I fiddle with the entries and try to re-accept the paycheck form, the problem persists. However if I CLOSE QUICKEN and restart, I can finally go to the primary account entry and click the green check to access the form, then accept that, it may straighten out the other entries, but I still have to carefully check them.

    PLEASE FIX THIS BUG!!! It is driving me to find a better solution even if I have to write my own.

    Quicken Premier for Windows, Year 2020, Version R29.16, Build 27.1.29.16
    38 year veteran Simulation Software Engineer primarily on NASA, USAF, US Army, and US Navy programs. Also served as Development Manager for a significant commercial software product.
  • JamesM
    JamesM Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Regarding my post just above, I still had problems with my secondary split deposit account. I was unable to match the cleared transaction to the one in my register. The entry in the register shows the name of my primary deposit account in the Category field, while the closed transaction showed nothing there. The dates matched, but I still could not force a manual match of the closed record to the register entry! The manual match dialog showed two options that had no relation to the closed entry in any way (payee, amount, category, nor memo). I eventually had to accept, then DELETE the cleared entry (and set the 'closed' flag in the register entry). Then, since I touched the register entry to set the 'closed' flag, I returned to the primary account register entry and saw that the deposit AUTOMATICALLY CHANGED to a debit for the amount of the deposit to the other account!!! So, I had to re-open the split dialog (green checkmark) in that entry to re-open the deposit form and "ENTER" it again, which fixed the issue -- MAYBE, FOR NOW. [Removed-Disruptive/Rant]
    38 year veteran Simulation Software Engineer primarily on NASA, USAF, US Army, and US Navy programs. Also served as Development Manager for a significant commercial software product.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    > @JamesM said:
    > I am have been having the same problem for nearly a year, now. I have been a Quicken user since 1996, so this very buggy subscription and the seemingly unsolvable bug is very disappointing. I am actively looking for a replacement due the the inordinate amount of time I send CORRECTING Quicken's entries. I, too, have a paycheck that is split into separate direct deposits to three different banks. I have even deleted my old paycheck template and rebuilt it, to no avail. I am NOT synching to the cloud and mobile capability. I spend less time unwinding the errors if I record the paycheck entry before it arrives, but it still shows as the proper amount deposited to my primary account (the one that receives the remainder after the other designated split amounts). but it then injects a *TRANSFER* from that account to one (yes, only ONE) of the other accounts for the amount deposited to the other account. The third account one seems to be entered properly, but maybe my manual fixing of the primary fixed it before I looked, there.
    >
    > It seems that if first commit the paycheck form then synch with my banks directly (not via the cloud interface), so that I see the entries and accept them, they are wrong. No matter how much I fiddle with the entries and try to re-accept the paycheck form, the problem persists. However if I CLOSE QUICKEN and restart, I can finally go to the primary account entry and click the green check to access the form, then accept that, it may straighten out the other entries, but I still have to carefully check them.
    >
    > PLEASE FIX THIS BUG!!! It is driving me to find a better solution even if I have to write my own.
    >
    > Quicken Premier for Windows, Year 2020, Version R29.16, Build 27.1.29.16

    [Removed-Disruptive/Inaccurate]  I stopped using/updating Quicken several months back even though I still have a subscription. It seems like the focus is always on issues with connecting to certain banks, etc. but those problems (in my opinion) are not even in the same category. Failing to easily retrieve new data is NOT EVEN CLOSE to having data previously entered correctly become corrupted or lost. Personally, I have no trust in the software if data corruption/loss happens after the fact with no obvious indication.
    [Removed-Inaccurate/Disruptive] 
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    > @alavastar said:
    > Quicken user for 25 years. Just created a community account just so that I can pile on here and express frustration that this major issue is not resolved, is not listed as a known issue and is not in front of your support team for awareness.
    > Randomly deleting pay check transfers is bad of course, but bugs happen.
    > What's unacceptable is not fixing it and not raising it for awareness.
    > PLEASE help give this some priority.

    I also created my community account specifically for this bug. Previously, I was happy with all the monthly updates fixing bugs - even though I didn't experience them and figured this issue would get fixed soon. I eventually got frustrated and started looking into it in the community. Then, after seeing so many threads on the topic CLOSED with NO answer, and the lack of it even showing in the known issues, magnified my frustration and over time I found that the benefits of tracking my finances in Quicken were outweighed by the frustration I had with the lack of response or attention - so I now have many months of transactions that are not entered since I gave up.
  • mikek753
    mikek753 Member ✭✭
    this is issue is the most important for me
    as result I can NOT trust my Quicken data at ALL !!!
    when I complained to Tech support, I got "restore from prev good backup" - which isn't practical option at all - IMHO.
    how do I know which backup doesn't have this issue in all my paychecks?
    even, by miracle I can find such backup, what to do the next after the restore?
    re download for past month or so? how do I remember what I have done to those downloaded transactions, which are not just paychecks, for the past month or two

    as result, I can't do Tax planning to make sure I'm in 5%-10% range paying my taxes, no long term planning works, 401k?

    what's the use for the software, when data is corrupted?

    is there a way to escalate this issue to make it fixed and guarantee our data is correct?
    the transactions should be immutable by software, only User can make the change - IMHO.

    any ideas?
  • JamesM
    JamesM Member ✭✭
    Thank you RIchMD and Mikek753 for standing with me. I, too, just created this community account for this very bug. I have plenty of other criticisms of Quicken, but they pale in comparison to this one. As Mikek753 said, "... I can NOT trust my Quicken data at ALL ..." -- good software must be trustworthy, especially when dealing with personal finances. If you're logic is this shaky, can you be really sure you are not sending customers' data to wrong places? Quicken doesn't even have a system to collect bugs from knowledgeable customers who can provide detailed steps to reproduce them - or to even alert them to bugs. Why can't they have a program for verified, professional software developers and software testers to voluntarily pass bug information to them (maybe in return for a lower subscription rate?). I don't need the source code to do that. Their QA team (if existing) is not doing a good job if they are letting this bad, DATA-CORRUPTING bug to persist!!!

    I have done then restore-from-backup and repair procedures, which did not help. The cleared and closed transactions STILL CHANGE AFTER THE FACT!!! This is not acceptable! An entry in a database should not "SELF-MODIFY" after being committed. This is a RED FLAG for "hokey logic" where the developer did not fully understand what they are trying to do and added code to treat ('fudge') specific symptoms.

    Quicken, you're making money hand over fist with this subscription model. Use some of that to afford better developers, testers, development managers, and test managers. That's what we're paying for, not for the Quicken name on some software of marginal usefulness and zero trust.

    Yes, I am frustrated.
    38 year veteran Simulation Software Engineer primarily on NASA, USAF, US Army, and US Navy programs. Also served as Development Manager for a significant commercial software product.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    Could someone from support respond with what steps are being done to resolve this bug? I (and others) have suggested debugging options and better logging, etc. Why are they not even addressed? Better logging should be a simple effort that will pay dividends for other bugs that are hard to replicate.
    Please respond with SOMETHING other than we don't have an update.
This discussion has been closed.