Paycheck splits are removed/cleared when Syncing with Cloud and includes 401k line item

24

Answers

  • Ajay
    Ajay Member ✭✭✭
    herboek said:
    @chief1121, @Quicken Kathryn, @UKR, @Ajay

    Any idea how long this has been a known issue and if it is actively being worked on or not? I've experienced this issue for some time already (year-ish). I've also manually fixed all the missing data once or twice, only to have it disappear again somewhere down the line. This is very frustrating and I don't want to try to manually fix it again until there is an actual program fix.

    I've been using Quicken since 1994. I can't remember the version number but it's been a long time and I just want to be confident the program will work as expected.

    @herboek, I am seeing this problem for transactions starting in October 2019 and this is random. It's not happening for all the paycheck transactions. Hope this helps.

  • sieg123
    sieg123 Member
    This is absolutely awful. As with many of you, since around 10/2019, random paycheck entries have had the splits cleared out. It has totally corrupted my accounting. Spending hours re-entering 8-10 paychecks may or may not work. I had it all cleared up, the best I could, then Quicken did an update and it is all back to where it was. This is a BIG deal that they need to fix ASAP!
  • chief1121
    chief1121 Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken Kathryn said:
    > Hi All,
    > Apologies for the delayed reply--this is indeed a known issue with Quicken that is in the process of being fixed; the split category lines of paycheck wizard-created income reminders are being zeroed out when syncing with the cloud when the paycheck wizard includes a 401(k) entry.
    >
    > We're working on a fix for this issue, but we don't yet have an expected date of resolution.
    >
    > Hope this helps--

    I am having this problem with losing allotments from my paycheck and I do not sync with the cloud. I also don't use any connections to financial institutions. I enter everything manually into Quicken and it still doesn't work. Just saying I have my doubts about the resolution to this problem working if you are concentrating your efforts on a problem when syncing with the cloud.
  • milonedp
    milonedp Member ✭✭
    > @chief1121 said:
    > > @Quicken Kathryn said:
    > > Hi All,
    > > Apologies for the delayed reply--this is indeed a known issue with Quicken that is in the process of being fixed; the split category lines of paycheck wizard-created income reminders are being zeroed out when syncing with the cloud when the paycheck wizard includes a 401(k) entry.
    > >
    > > We're working on a fix for this issue, but we don't yet have an expected date of resolution.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps--
    >
    > I am having this problem with losing allotments from my paycheck and I do not sync with the cloud. I also don't use any connections to financial institutions. I enter everything manually into Quicken and it still doesn't work. Just saying I have my doubts about the resolution to this problem working if you are concentrating your efforts on a problem when syncing with the cloud.

    Agreed, while I do use sync, I'm also having issues with how the paycheck presents itself in the registers for future reminders. The full value shows up in the register even though a portion is set to deposit to a different account. I think the issue with Paychecks is bigger than just the syncing piece.
  • commish1
    commish1 Member
    I too have been experiencing this since last fall. It is super frustrating that 6+ months later and the issue still exists. Not only frustrating, it's unacceptable. Stop working on new features for a minute and fix existing problems. There so many annoying bugs that are never fixed and some that even cross into new versions. This may be the last version I purchase. BTW, I've been a customer since 1990. There are a lot more options available now. Sorry to vent but what a p.i.t.a. this problem is!
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    I also have had this issue for a long time and re-entered the data multiple times. I just noticed it for my wife's paycheck which does NOT have a 401K entry but I have tax related items, etc.
    Also, I have noticed that for a corrupted transaction, if I hover the mouse over the category field, all the split data shows up in preview, but when I actually click the split button, the data is gone. I finally came to the community to search on this topic and found I am not alone. I am on the very latest (subscription version) and Windows 10. I always use File operations, validate file or even super-validate (ctl + shift and select) after every download/sync. Maybe a possible step for some of us is to modify "Super Validate" to include specifically verifying all the paycheck entries so we can catch the issue as soon as it happens. Then we could restore from right before and it would be back.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    I can't even edit my previous comment - I get "format not found" when trying to save it again - Chrome or new Edge...
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    Also, having some way to manually enter a past paycheck would be helpful. I have tried "copy transaction" and paste but then the posting date is overlaid from the copy. In the past I have gone into bill reminder and edited the start date for the paycheck but that causes issues. I tried "memorize" payee but then when using the memorized payee, the category shows as split and not --paycheck-- and I am not sure it that is completely a "cosmetic" issue or would it affect reporting, etc. I have not seen any way to manually enter a past paycheck (without affecting the income reminder) and have it categorized as such.
  • Ralph Knox
    Ralph Knox Member ✭✭
    > @RichMD said:
    > I can't even edit my previous comment - I get "format not found" when trying to save it again - Chrome or new Edge...

    You have to be a more senior member to be allowed to edit your own posts :neutral:
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    Can anyone from Quicken support comment on this LONG outstanding issue? Even if a fix is not available, could something like I mentioned above - modify the rarely used "Super-Validate" option to specifically scan all paycheck entries to verify no accounts (such as 401K, etc.) have become "unknown" so all the split entries are wiped out? If that was included, then we could AT LEAST identify the issue has happened again and could easily restore from the previous backup - I back up EVERY time I do any one-step update because of how buggy the software used to be. I do appreciate all the frequent updates that happen now that Quicken is not owned by Intuit.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @RichMD and all,

    Split category lines of paycheck wizard-created income reminders are being zeroed out when syncing with the cloud when the paycheck wizard includes a 401(k) entry is still an ongoing issue.

    We're working on a fix for this issue, but do not have an ETA on the resolution at this time.

    Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Ajay
    Ajay Member ✭✭✭
    Hello @RichMD and all,

    Split category lines of paycheck wizard-created income reminders are being zeroed out when syncing with the cloud when the paycheck wizard includes a 401(k) entry is still an ongoing issue.

    We're working on a fix for this issue, but do not have an ETA on the resolution at this time.

    Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    @[email protected]_Tyka
    This has been a very long-pending issue at least in my case since October of 2019. This issue needs to be fixed with very high priority as customers are losing data. I am also scared to make any changes in Quicken as I am worried about corrupting my 15 years of data due to this issue.

    Now that we customers are forced to pay an annual subscription, we expect more from the company. My subscription is going to end this June and wondering if I should even renew it and look for an alternative or wait for the bug to be fixed.

    Please consider this as a high priority issue and fix it at the earliest.
  • milonedp
    milonedp Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    > @Ajay said:
    > (Quote)
    > @[email protected]_Tyka
    > This has been a very long-pending issue at least in my case since October of 2019. This issue needs to be fixed with very high priority as customers are losing data. I am also scared to make any changes in Quicken as I am worried about corrupting my 15 years of data due to this issue.
    >
    > Now that we customers are forced to pay an annual subscription, we expect more from the company. My subscription is going to end this June and wondering if I should even renew it and look for an alternative or wait for the bug to be fixed.
    >
    > Please consider this as a high priority issue and fix it at the earliest.

    Agree this has to be treated with more priority. Paychecks are pretty fundamental to finances, so are 401ks the issue has existed over a year now and the paycheck itself had other issues too.
    - Multiple deposit accounts shows transaction total rather than split total in register when showing future transactions
    - Multiple deposit accounts go missing from register when showing future transactions

    How can you consider yourself to have a functioning financial app when the paycheck doesn't work?

    Please do everything you need to fix the paycheck.
  • rechis
    rechis Member ✭✭
    I've been using Quicken for 15 years. This has been a known issue since 2018 when I first became a subscription user. There are multiple threads about this issue in the community with different discussion titles.

    In my case, it seems to only happen when I use the Mobile/Web Sync, and then, not always. I can tell if it happened because the transfer accounts (401k & HSA) have double entries for the problem paycheck. If there are double entries I'll know that when I open the paycheck entry, even though the hovered preview shows the splits, the split details are all zeros. To fix this I must manually enter each detail again. Then I must go to each of the transfer accounts and delete the duplicate transaction. The duplicate one is the one that lets me delete it... normally you cannot delete transactions in these transfer accounts... you have to go to the paycheck itself to make the change or delete. However in this case I can delete the ones that are not connected to the paycheck.

    Several months ago, there was a note from a Quicken moderator on a thread similar to this that said:
    If you are affected by this issue and would like to add your information, including a sanitized copy of the data file where this issue may be seen, to assist with the open investigation, please open the affected data file and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem option.
    In the window that opens, enter "CTP-380" in the subject line, check the boxes for every file listed, including the sanitized data file copy and add any additional information or details regarding specific transactions or accounts affected and when ready click "Send to Quicken".
  • wjdecorte
    wjdecorte Member
    I too am suffering from this bug. My retirement account is incorrect now because of Quicken removing the transfer from my paychecks to the retirement account. And I can't even fix the mistake because the paycheck information is unavailable when I open it in the register. What kind of software corrupts your financial data and doesn't provide any kind of resolution?? I'm a Quicken user for over 20 years and despite the many bugs and issues, I have NEVER had data corrupted and unfixable. It's hard to believe that this issue is not a top priority and resolved by now. It's very disappointing. I now regret signing up for a 2-year subscription. I should have spent the time I've spent trying to fix this issue in finding new and better software for managing personal finance.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka As others are now confirming, this should be a top priority fix. As I mentioned, I appreciate that Quicken is now constantly releasing bug fixes unlike when it was owned by Intuit. However, even if this is a difficult problem to solve, has the team considered alternatives such as an enhanced file validation, etc. to scan for the specific issue or a better way to log changes and report them to help the team determine what is happening? Even a "diagnostic" enhancement would show this bug is high on the priority list.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    > @rechis said:
    > I've been using Quicken for 15 years. This has been a known issue since 2018 when I first became a subscription user. There are multiple threads about this issue in the community with different discussion titles.
    >
    > In my case, it seems to only happen when I use the Mobile/Web Sync, and then, not always. I can tell if it happened because the transfer accounts (401k & HSA) have double entries for the problem paycheck. If there are double entries I'll know that when I open the paycheck entry, even though the hovered preview shows the splits, the split details are all zeros. To fix this I must manually enter each detail again. Then I must go to each of the transfer accounts and delete the duplicate transaction. The duplicate one is the one that lets me delete it... normally you cannot delete transactions in these transfer accounts... you have to go to the paycheck itself to make the change or delete. However in this case I can delete the ones that are not connected to the paycheck.
    >
    > Several months ago, there was a note from a Quicken moderator on a thread similar to this that said:
    > If you are affected by this issue and would like to add your information, including a sanitized copy of the data file where this issue may be seen, to assist with the open investigation, please open the affected data file and go to the Help menu > Report a Problem option.
    > In the window that opens, enter "CTP-380" in the subject line, check the boxes for every file listed, including the sanitized data file copy and add any additional information or details regarding specific transactions or accounts affected and when ready click "Send to Quicken".

    @rechis Thanks for this post. I didn't realize that one way to determine this issue happened was to look for duplicate entries in the 401K or HSA accounts. I just looked through one of them and saw duplicates and realized I have more corrupted entries that I hadn't noticed yet. My 401K accounts unfortunately aren't available for quicken to sync so they are manual updates so it isn't obvious when there are extra entries.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka @Quicken Generic User I was just looking for this LONG standing issues under "Alerts and known Product issues", etc. and can't find it anywhere. This thread had "Accepted Answer" and since it isn't even listed under known issues is very frustrating. :# I would be more than willing to do extra troubleshooting steps to help identify whatever conditions cause this but at the very least this ABSOLUTELY should be listed under known product issues and corruption absolutely is worse than simply failing to connect to a given institution, etc.
  • chief1121
    chief1121 Member ✭✭
    I keep seeing everyone pointing to this being a problem with syncing with the cloud for 401 transactions. The underlying problem is much more basic than that. I NEVER sync to the cloud, I never download transactions, I do not have a 401K and I still have the problem with payroll or any other type of memorized split transactions. I also have the same problem with a memorized simple split transaction without using the paycheck function. I enter every transaction in manually and if I use a memorized split transaction with allotment transfers to other accounts, then the allotments are entered incorrectly. I think whoever is working this problem isn't going basic enough to find the solution.
  • Craig20155
    Craig20155 Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka - I have the same issue with splits in paychecks but I never sync with the cloud , nor do i have a file uploaded. I have 2 401k accounts that transfer in ( a standard 401k and a salary restoration account) . I think it occurred right after i did a validation in January and then just last week another. I have uploaded the files via help. It is rather annoying as i do have a lot of split lines as I itemize each benefit as a pretax and then imputed income , so it is over 18 lines total with taxes.
    Been a user since before '96 and can not recall as bad a defect , well except for the home inventory (QHI ) fiasco ....
    Using Quicken since 1996
  • GinRummy01
    GinRummy01 Windows Beta Beta
    I am having the same issue. For me, it appears to have started around May 21. I first noticed it after completing a One Step update with my checking account. I uploaded all the requested file when I logged a Report a Problem request today. Really need to get this fixed. My checking account is completely messed up and I have no vision into what my real funds are goin forward.
  • mikek753
    mikek753 Member ✭✭
    I got this 0s in paycheck issue as well. my 3 paychecks from March 31 got 0s, while the last one is Ok.
    yes, I have 401k and HSA - those transactions were in those accounts as expected, but in paycheck (checking) account the Category are empty for those 401k, HSA, etc, while other Categories remain ok, like taxes.
    I can see those only via Ctrl-Shift-S

    It isn't easy to detect, unless you run some report or File Validate.
    the backup doesn't help in my case as I can't go so far back and check every restore - isn't practical.
    currently I even don't know if I can trust quicken data for my estimated taxes and planning

    this is my Q - https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876211/3-paychecks-are-damaged-and-show-all-0-in-paycheck-split
  • Farrel
    Farrel Member ✭✭
    I am having the same problem. Prior to 2019-11-15 it is OK and after 2020-05-01 it is OK. In between, every transfer to my 401K plan is duplicated resulting in my having a fabulous cash balance in the 401 account that is false. On the phone to tech support now and the gentleman is unaware of the issue. I saw a different thread last night but have just found this thread while the tech support employee is trying to find additional help.
  • Robert Armani
    Robert Armani Member ✭✭✭
    This is not something new. It's been happening for over a year to me. There's no way you can bring back your splits. They're gone forever. The only way you can fix it is to copy an old transaction [that's intact] and paste it with the desired date. Delete the old transaction, and fix the split amounts to match with your actual paycheck.

    I know it's a tedious task, but expect this to happen often.
  • Farrel
    Farrel Member ✭✭
    Very disappointing. Very broken. Really broken. Not just a "bug". Actually Broken.
  • Michael Rosen
    Michael Rosen Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It's been over two months and this is still not fixed?

    I had run a validate and checked the log.

    It said "The following transaction(s) were linked to account(s) that are no longer in Quicken. Quicken has changed them to indicate that the account was deleted. Please check them and set the category or destination account correctly. Make sure that this does not duplicate transactions."

    The first several transactions listed were for my paychecks from this year with splits showing "[Unspecified Account]."

    I did go back and re-input these paychecks.

    A paycheck for 4/10/20 is not included in that list of transactions, however that date is included further down under the section "The following transaction(s) involving transfers appear to be damaged. You should delete them and recreate as appropriate."

    Those include seven dates and lists splits for a split deposit, FSA, and 401k deductions.

    I just sent a sanitized report as mentioned above.

    Quicken Premier 2020 R26.23
    Windows 10 Home v1909 OS build 18363.836
    USA

    Thanks.

    Edit: I initially thought my wife's paychecks were unaffected but I just checked one and it has gone to zero as well. She has no 401k or any other similar deductions.
  • Ajay
    Ajay Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @Quicken_Tyka, any updates on this issue? It's pending for 9 months.
  • acox
    acox Unconfirmed, Member
    I have been using Quicken for 24 years and this is my 1st time to visit Quicken/Help to figure out an issue that, as it turns out, has been a known issue for 8 or 9 months and still not fixed. Unless fixed, I feel I will need to find another product as Quicken is essentially broken as far as I am concerned.
  • David Devoll
    David Devoll Member ✭✭
    I just noticed the same bug for paychecks entered since Nov 2019. Not all of them, but most. It's disappointing that the issue has been outstanding so long.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Can you please provide a link to earlier threads that discuss this issue?
    As is, you haven't provided enough info for anyone to recognize what you're talking about.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
This discussion has been closed.