Unable to access data during server outage

This discussion was created from comments split from: Wow! Major Errors and issues tonight!!!.

Comments

• John@113
    John@113 Member ✭✭✭
    Tyka,

From this experience, I would like to add a couple more issues to Bob's billers problem (in order of importance to me):

1. Why are users unable to access their data in a situation like this? I understand not being able to do a one-step update when the servers are down but to not even be able to load the data? As a previous poster mentioned, this is akin to being "held hostage". It would seem more logical to perform your security check on the one-step update rather than when loading the software.

2. I would like to understand why I had to restore to a previous backup just get get past security once the servers returned. Effectively, my current database was corrupted even though it is stored locally on my pc.

John
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    John said:
    Tyka,

1. Why are users unable to access their data in a situation like this? I understand not being able to do a one-step update when the servers are down but to not even be able to load the data? 
    That was my main concern too. We are supposed to be able to always have access to our data and once the program got into the loop to sign in, it was locked that way and would not let us even see the data...
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

I apologize for the delay in response I wanted to reach out for more information.

The data should be accessible in the event of a server outage and what you are reporting isn't the designed behavior.

We are investigating these reports, this doesn't appear to have been widespread and didn't affect every user.

If anyone comes across this and was unable to open their data file during the server outage, please leave a comment!

Thank you.

~~~***~~~
  • bobbyrab
    bobbyrab Unconfirmed ✭✭
    I experienced the same; I could NOT open my data file until I entered a correct Quicken ID during the server outage and the system would not allow me to do so; it always presented me with a login error.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    It put itself in the password required mode and there was no way at all to get past it (The QID and password did not work in Quicken or on any Quicken site.) Tried multiple sign ins that failed, tried to login as different user but that failed too. 
    Expected behavior would have been a message about online services not available and a way to click the password QID screen away.

• This happened on 9 Aug 2020, sometime between 10 am and 11 am EDT.
    Quicken demanded my password, then sat spinning the throbber for many minutes without opening the file. Eventually, after closing the password required dialog several times, I could access the data file. When I attempted One Step Update, Quicken declared, incorrectly, that my subscription was expired. Only when I selected Help->Check Membership Status did the program admit that it was unable to contact the server.
    1) When Quicken could not operate as expected due to foreseeable difficulty communicating with the server, it became unresponsive until I took extraordinary steps to get to my data file.
    2) When I tried to update, Quicken displayed an inaccurate message.
    3) There was no indication of the server outage on either the Quicken website or the Community website, which were accessible at the time. The problem *might* have my computer, my ISP, or another network. But Quicken's tendency to pretend everything is fine if users will just wait an hour, or a day before trying again makes it tough to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    4) The support website (https://www.quicken.com/support) displays a button saying "Talk to Support" that does nothing because it links to the same page. That page does not say that Quicken Support does not operate nights or weekends. For that information, one must navigate to https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options, page down to "What is the Quicken Support phone number?" and read the fine print.

Quicken Version R28.10, Build 27.1.28.10, on Windows 10 Pro Version 1909, OS Build 18363.959, both updated regularly.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @AnnoyedQuickenAddict  Quicken Support is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for support via chat. (Phone support is weekdays only.) If you didn't get to the box to start a chat session…

…your web browser is likely set to block pop-up windows which that website requires; you need to enable opening pop-up windows for that site.

The problem *might* have my computer, my ISP, or another network.
    Not seeing any other posts by Quicken users here about a similar problem this morning, I am guessing you experienced some problem other than a server outage at Quicken.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    > 4) The support website (https://www.quicken.com/support) displays a button saying "Talk to Support" that does nothing because it links to the same page. That page does not say that Quicken Support does not operate nights or weekends. For that information, one must navigate to https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options, page down to "What is the Quicken Support phone number?" and read the fine print.

To contact  Quicken Support please note the posted hours of operation

Note: Your browser must allow popups from https://www.quicken.com for chat to function

This discussion has been closed.