Random adjustment to an account (Q Mac)

joenspa
joenspa Member ✭✭
I had Quicken in super shape. Everything was updated and beautiful since January 2017 statements. Quicken told me there was an update 2 nights ago when I opened it so I ran it then I updated accounts online.
I then reconciled my AmEx account with no issues.
Then I tried to do my MC account. It said my account was off by $350 some dollars. Of course it didn't seem right so I went back one month. That was off by the same amount. Less than happy I pulled out my January 2017 statement and when I go to re-reconcile that it shows a $350.56 Adjustment. I never put this in. Not that I know of. The starting balance is correct, the 3 transaction all match but I am off by $350.56 because of this Adjustment Quicken seems to have added.
Any idea how to remove this adjustment? Any solution?

Best Answer

• Tim W
    Tim W Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I just ran into a very similar issue that would seem to fit joenspa's time window. I was just reconciling my bank statement, where I have two checking and one savings account. All accounts have reconciled just fine in the past, but today, the previous month's (July 3, 2020) starting amounts for two of the three accounts were off by a small amount. After investigating, I found that the interest that had been credited to those two accounts on February 3, 2017 had disappeared, which exactly matched the discrepancies. (The third account had no interest that month.) I opened an earlier 5.16 version of the data file using Quicken Beta 5.16.1 and confirmed that the missing transactions were indeed there before the 5.17 transition.

I was able to fix the problem by reentering the missing interest amounts and clearing them in today's reconciliations, but this kind of an issue doesn't inspire confidence.

Answers

• Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @joenspa,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although I apologize that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

What version/release of Quicken are you using? You can find that by going to Quicken>About Quicken

I suggest first taking a look at the information outlined in this Support Article for more details on reconciling in Quicken for Mac, including some troubleshooting steps. 

Additionally, if the difference in the reconcile is the amount of the adjustment transaction, you may consider deleting the adjustment entry to correct this.

I always suggest saving a backup before deleting anything: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Natalie

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @joenspa,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Adjustments can be deleted the same way you would delete any other transaction. So, if the adjustment is causing the discrepancy, then deleting that adjustment should resolve it for you. 

However, if it does not resolve it, and being that this is a reconcile issue, I do recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support instead so you can have a one-on-one screen share session with one of our support agents that can help you look through the transactions to find where things went wrong (if you feel comfortable doing so, of course).

Additionally, I would like to just add this support article regarding reconcile for your reference.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• joenspa
    joenspa Member ✭✭
    I am on Quicken Deluxe 2020 for Mac. Version 5.17.4 Mac OS 10.15.5. I updated right before this issue happened. The problem is there is no adjustment to delete. Nowhere anywhere in Quicken do I have an adjustment for this amount. I ended up on chat support and the gentleman there gave me some steps to follow. He was willing to stay on but after about 30 minutes I had to go. If I can find the issue I will post the resolution.
  • Tim W
    Tim W Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I just ran into a very similar issue that would seem to fit joenspa's time window. I was just reconciling my bank statement, where I have two checking and one savings account. All accounts have reconciled just fine in the past, but today, the previous month's (July 3, 2020) starting amounts for two of the three accounts were off by a small amount. After investigating, I found that the interest that had been credited to those two accounts on February 3, 2017 had disappeared, which exactly matched the discrepancies. (The third account had no interest that month.) I opened an earlier 5.16 version of the data file using Quicken Beta 5.16.1 and confirmed that the missing transactions were indeed there before the 5.17 transition.

I was able to fix the problem by reentering the missing interest amounts and clearing them in today's reconciliations, but this kind of an issue doesn't inspire confidence.
  • joenspa
    joenspa Member ✭✭
    @Tim W you and I have found a bug. Interest charges are the exact same thing disappearing on me. I lost over a dozen in one account. One per month. I went back and fixed it all. Everything was great. Then I went to compare my balance to what the card said online. It was off. It was the exact same amount as the interest charge. I know it was there before because I checked it off on my paper statement. I went back and reconciled again adding the missing interest charge and so far it has held.
    They have a bug in 5.17 and I agree it does not help the confidence. Chat support suggested I "rebuild my file". Export it, then import. After that reconnect all accounts and then go and delete any duplicates that might happen on download. I did not buy Quicken to spend my time doing and redoing my financials.
  • combsltd
    combsltd Member
    I've also been having large reconciliation errors show up on my checking account. I eventually figured out that I couldn't just accept the online balance, and I had to use the statement balance, and manually enter transactions that had not downloaded yet. This worked for a while, but today I had another large error, and for the life of me I can't figure out where it's coming from. Look...here's the deal. I've been using Quicken for years on a PC. I only recently started using a Mac, and it's been a problem ever since. Everything worked great on a PC...never had any problems. I'd love it if I had a column that showed at a glance which transactions were cleared and which weren't (without having to sort). I'd like the flexibility to "unclear" a transaction (like I could with a PC) to troubleshoot errors. I just feel like the design of the Mac version is rigid and inflexible in regards to manipulating the data, manually matching downloaded transactions (like you could in the PC), and a variety of other functions. Needless to say, so far I'm not impressed with the Mac version of Quicken.
  • Tim W
    Tim W Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    @combsltd, the Cleared column is hidden by default. At the bottom of the account window you'll see a Columns icon which enables you to specify which columns are visible and which aren't. You can unclear both a reconciled and cleared transaction by unchecking it.

Regarding the errors, my own experience with Quicken Mac has been excellent until the current 5.17.x version.
  • combsltd
    combsltd Member
    Thanks Tim, I did address my register issue, but there are many other issues that are either not very intuitive like the PC version, or just don't exist as options. One of the big ones is manually matching a downloaded transaction to a manually entered transaction. Do you happen to know how to do that?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @combsltd

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your question.

To match a downloaded transaction to a manual transaction,  use your mouse to drag and drop the downloaded transaction on manually entered transaction (or vice-versa) to match the transactions.

If you have further questions that are a different topic than this current thread, please create a new post. To learn more please see the information here.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.