Create A Quick Link for "Ask a Question"

It is not intuitive for Community users to be able to find the "Ask a Question" button and that is frustrating for a lot of members, especially those who don't post very often.  Here is just one of the latest threads on this:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20093737#Comment_20093737.
Would it be possible to create a Quick Link for this that will show up on every page that people won't have to search for?  It would make a lot of people very happy.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Tagged:
31 votes

Implemented · Last Updated

Comments

• billflyer
    billflyer Member ✭✭
    I agree!
  • Movie Nut
    Movie Nut Member ✭✭✭
    That would be nice !
    "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are"
    Windows 11 Pro, Quicken Subscription
    Intel Core i7-12700, 32GB Ram
  • DrugDoc
    DrugDoc Member
    I agree, I spent a half hour getting tech chat to tell me it's at the top of each page, which it is not. Quicken, make it easy.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    DrugDoc said:
    I agree, I spent a half hour getting tech chat to tell me it's at the top of each page, which it is not. Quicken, make it easy.
    It used to be at the top of each page at one time.  When they made the change to the current locations some of the the help documentation regarding that was not updated.  I'm guessing Quicken Support was going off of that old documentation.  The change I've suggested here would help greatly to eliminate this issue.
    BTW, I can't tell if you clicked on blue voting button above, but if you haven't done that please do it so your vote gets recorded.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just select a category and then a sub-category.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And how is someone that just came to this site suppose to know that?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jrichard
    jrichard Member ✭✭
    Screen shots would be very helpful. I have used Quicken for 20 years with nary an issue but lately I'm having trouble every time I download transactions so have had to join the community. I've spent a lot of time going back and forth between the Community and Google trying to figure this out and I'm still not sure.
  • Boatnmaniac
    jrichard said:
    Screen shots would be very helpful. I have used Quicken for 20 years with nary an issue but lately I'm having trouble every time I download transactions so have had to join the community. I've spent a lot of time going back and forth between the Community and Google trying to figure this out and I'm still not sure.
    Click on the link included in my idea post at the top of this thread.  There are several different screen shots of how to be able to post a question in that thread.

• kwhiz01
    kwhiz01 Member
    What link? I did not see any!
  • Greg_the_Geek
  • gregteft
    gregteft Member ✭✭
    Seriously! can't find how to create a new thread, and I'm an IT professional!!!
  • Boatnmaniac
    @gregteft - If you haven't already done so, please cast your vote above for this suggested improvement.
    Also, if you are still having difficulty finding how to create a new thread, look at the post immediately above your post.  The link there will take you to a thread with more information for doing that.  (FYI: The Community website is currently experiencing issues with some links and categories not being visible.  The Quicken Team is aware and working to fix this.)

• william corker
    william corker Member ✭✭
    On the right side of each transaction there is a "Save icon and Other actions icon." When I click on "Save" it becomes hidden by a Save notification that I have to sneak under to register the transaction. The same goes for "Other actions." Could you just label the the save icon to "Save" and Other actions icon to just "Changes." Maneuvering to get rid of these notifications to click on the icons is a pain!
  • lkfriman
    lkfriman Member ✭✭
    how do you start a new thread and ask a question on this site? Can't believe this is so difficult
  • Greg_the_Geek
    lkfriman said:
    how do you start a new thread and ask a question on this site? Can't believe this is so difficult
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    lkfriman said:
    and then look for the Ask a Question blue box at the top of the list of topics in that category. 

What's confusing to people is that the Ask a Question link does not appear on the Home page, nor on a thread/post page; you have to know to navigate to the category or to the Recent Discussions page -- and the location of the link is different on each of those pages:

On a category > Subcategory page, it's above the list of topics:

But on the Recent Discussions page, it's on the left above the Quick Links section:

And if the subtopic page you choose is one that allows submitting Ideas posts for other users to vote on, the link is labeled "New Idea" instead of "Ask a Question", even though it leads to the same submission page:

It's easy to see why users, especially those who don't frequent this forum often, can be confused about where to go to create a post. It would be better if there were a consistent location on every page of the site, which is what this Idea thread is requesting.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • karen m
    karen m Member ✭✭✭
    I still can't remember how to post a question. Everytime I come to this forum I have to stumble on the place that allows me to post. Please make this easier to find!
  • NebularNovice
    NebularNovice Member ✭✭
    When I come into the Community, the only entry space I see is search. There is lots of other information, but no place showing how to ask a question. I can see that you want people to search first to see if their question has already been answered.

BUT, when I go ahead and ask a question, I am simply told "No results for ..." A that point, anyone would expect to be able to ask a question, but nothing appears. Please make sure the Ask a Question link appears there -- if you don't want it appearing on the main page.

I had to fumble around for quite a while before I selected a Category (which could not be Activity for some reason) which then revealed the magic link.

Please fix this to reduce other people's frustration in having to hunt for a way to get started -- something which should be made quite obvious. Or am I the only one whose browser doesn't show that link on the main page?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    The idea is to get a poster select the correct Category and sub-Category that pertains to their question.
  • NebularNovice
    NebularNovice Member ✭✭
    And just how is a new user supposed to figure that one out?

I would think you should be satisfied if the user searches for an answer to his question and help him there. A knowledgeable user should go that way first anyway since it will be much more difficult to find relevant threads by perusing category, etc.

I also think the primary object in this part of the Community is to help users instead of frustrating them because they don't jump through the hoop the way you want them to. (Frustration is a mild term for what I was feeling.)
  • Sheila
    Sheila Member ✭✭✭
    The button for asking a question should be in the Quick Links section. This way we can *easily* ask for help no matter which community page we're on. Hiding the link/button gives the impression that Quicken doesn't want it to be easy to get help.
  • mogenses
    mogenses Member ✭✭
    I still need to find the quick links section
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 2021
    I see with the new Community layout there is an "Ask A Question" button shown in approximately the same upper right location on each of the Home, Discussion and Categories pages just above the Quick Links.   If you click on it you will get a drop-down that allows you to select "New Discussion", "New Idea" or "Ask a Question".   (In this "Community Improvement Suggestions" section the "Ask a Question" button is replaced with a "New Idea" button.)
    It is not the suggested Quick Link but I think because it really well meets th intent and requirements of the original request of this thread.  As far as I am concerned, I am considering this "Implemented" and the issue closed.  Thank you Quicken!
    mogenses said:
    I still need to find the quick links section
    The Quick Links section used to be at the top left of the Community pages.  With the redesigned layout of Quicken Community it is now at the top right of the Community pages...see yellow highlighted section of the picture I posted above.

• GHebert
    GHebert Member ✭✭
    edited November 2021
    As of 11/25/21 the Ask A Question link is not visible. If I hit Category, it is still not visible. All get to do is Search. If I enter "How do I ask a question for the Community" in the search box I get answers on Charles Schwab and comments about Error messages. So, How do I ask a question of the community? I have asked successfully in the past.

Eureka! Ask a question is found in the blue circle with the + sign in it. Maybe a ? would be more mnemonic.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited November 2021
    GHebert said:
    As of 11/25/21 the Ask A Question link is not visible. If I hit Category, it is still not visible. All get to do is Search. If I enter "How do I ask a question for the Community" in the search box I get answers on Charles Schwab and comments about Error messages. So, How do I ask a question of the community? I have asked successfully in the past.

Eureka! Ask a question is found in the blue circle with the + sign in it. Maybe a ? would be more mnemonic.
    Since my last post here (back in April) the "Ask A Question" button was replaced with "+ New Post" button but "Ask A Question" is one of three options that comes up when clicking on "+ New Post".
    If you are not seeing "+ New Post" you might want to check to make sure your browser is maximized.  When it is maximized I see the following:
    When the browser is not maximized I get just the "+" in a blue circle and that circle floats as I scroll.  Weird. But clicking on that circle does pull up the option of "Ask A Question".  Looks like the web design for this button needs a little work.

This discussion has been closed.