Reconcile broken in version 5.17.6 (Build 517.34958.100)

When I went to reconcile my checking accounts today, I noticed the following bugs:

Clicking on the checkbox to mark a transaction as cleared sometimes works, sometimes does nothing. Same thing for hitting the space bar.

Some checked transactions mysteriously uncheck themselves later as other items become checked.

The whole process is slooooow. The time between clicking and anything happening can be upward of 2 seconds.

Does anyone know of a workaround or a way to retreat to a better-working version of Quicken?
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @louabill

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue.

I have a few questions to better help me understand what could be happening, as I do not see this behavior in my Quicken file.

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I have a few questions to better help me better understand what could be happening.

First, can you verify where the data file is stored?

This can be located by holding the "Control" key on the keyboard and clicking the file name along the top in Quicken.

In this path, do you see any mention of Dropbox or iCloud?

If the active file is stored in a cloud drive, this can cause the behavior that you have described.

Also, do you sync to the mobile or web app at all?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    The datafile is on a disk image file sitting on my computer. So...it is accessible after the disk image gets mounted. The image has plenty of free space.

I don’t sync to anything on the web.

This is the setup I’ve had since forever, yet this is the first time I’ve ever seen this behavior.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try rebooting your computer.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • kholmes46
    kholmes46 Member ✭✭
    I have a similar problem with reconciling. In two different accounts, I have had items become unchecked after completing the reconciliation and marking done and there is no way to fix it except to put in a balance adjustment. This is my desk top computer file not synced with the web. I do all my entries on my computer.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @kholmes46

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that you are experiencing this trouble.

First, please navigate to Quicken > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running.

Can you please verify where the data file is stored? This is often the culprit behind the issues that you have descirbed.

This can be located by holding the "Control" key on the keyboard and clicking the file name along the top in Quicken.

In this path, do you see any mention of Dropbox or iCloud?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • kholmes46
    kholmes46 Member ✭✭
    Version 5.17.6 (Build 517.34958.100)
    The file is located in the documents folder under my user name.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @kholmes46  In your Mac's (not Quicken's) System Preferences, click on iCloud and see if you have iCloud Drive checked as active. (On Catalina, go to System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud.) If iCloud Drive is checked, click Options and see if Desktop and Documents is checked. If so, then your Mac is set up to store your Desktop folder and Documents folder contents on iCloud instead of on your local Mac.

If that's the case, this is not a good location for your Quicken data file, for the reason Tyka mentioned and other possible problems. You should either disable storing your Desktop and Documents on iCloud (you may have to copy your files back from iCloud to your desktop after doing this), or you should move your Quicken file to any location on your Mac other than those two locations. (For instance, you could create a folder called Quicken at the top level of your Home folder — e.g. at the same level as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, etc.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • kholmes46
    kholmes46 Member ✭✭
    The only apps storing data in icloud are my photos and mail.
  • louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    FWIW, my files are local to my mac. The only files I have on iCloud are my mail, and Dropbox is an afterthought that gets used occasionally at best. Also: I balance everything by hand and do not use Quicken for any services such as downloading balances, paying bills, or updating 401(k) info. (My data are mine, and the fewer prying eyes, the smaller the effect of data breaches, etc.)

Just to emphasize from the original post: this behavior was new with the version listed in the title, no past version ever had this behavior on my setup.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hello @louabill

Thank you for the additional details and confirming the location of the file.

When a new version has been installed that version is required to open the active data file. If you were to roll back to a previous version that version would not be able to read your active data file.

I do not see this step mentioned as of yet, I would next try restoring a backup from before the update installing.

To learn more about restoring a backup, please take a moment to review the steps and information available here.

Let me know how it goes!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • kholmes46
    kholmes46 Member ✭✭
    I've made too many new entrees to move backwards at this point and that move wouldn't prevent this from continuing to occur. We need a fix so it doesn't continue to happen
    or it creates a vicious cycle with using backups.
  • Hello @kholmes46 and @louabill,

You can try exporting and importing your data file into a new data file to see if the same issue occurs in the new file. Doing this copies your data into a new file without affecting your original file. Should this not work, then you can always switch back to the original file after.

If you would like to try this, please, follow the steps below--
    1. Got to File
    2. Export
    3. Quicken Windows Transfer File (QXF)... (yes, even if you are on Mac)
    4. Save the exported file somewhere you can easily locate it (i.e.: DeskTop)
    5. Go back to File
    6. New...
    7. Start from Scratch
    8. Follow the prompts until it takes you to the new and empty data file
    9. Close the Add Checking Account pop-up
    10. Back to File
    11. Import
    12. Quicken Windows Transfer File (QDF, QXF)...
    13. Select the .QXF file you previously exported
    14. Click Ok once you receive the message saying that the import was successful
    Once that is done, you should see that all your banking accounts (Checking, savings, money markets, credit cards, etc) were added to this new data file. Any investment accounts (if you have them) will remain in your original file and not be imported to the new file as these account types do not export nor import.

If this resolves the issue, you can rename and move forward using the new file you imported your data to. Please, note that if you have your accounts set up for automatic downloads-- you may need to re-establish those connections in the new file.

Here are steps in case you would like to rename the new file from the name Quicken will auto-assign to it--
    1. File
    2. Rename
    To switch back to your original file, please follow the steps below--
    1. File
    2. Open Recent
    3. Select the original data file name
    4. Click Open
    Let us know how it goes and/or if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka: I would like to second what @kholmes46 said: grabbing an old version of Quicken and then opening a backup, and then redoing all the work that was done since using the buggy version of Quicken is a lot of work for little gain.
    @Quicken Anja: This export-import workaround could be useful for future references to others who stumble on the bug. Not being able to export investment accounts is a killer for me, though, because my retirement accounts have zillions of transactions in them.

Is there some tool that Quicken has for checking for file corruption?

Failing that, it would seem odd if the Quicken file could be corrupted, but can still be read and used everywhere with the only exception being that reconciling turns check flags on and off randomly.
  • louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    Sad to see that the most-recent update does not fix the problem. I reconciled an account today after upgrading, and found that checked items still unchecked themselves with abandon.

I'm sadder to see that Quicken said that this was the last update which would run under Sierra or Catalina. So... any hope for fixing the Quicken bugs will apparently have to wait until Apple introduces Big Sur and then fixes its usual early bugs.
  • jacobs
    @louabill  You've misread or misunderstood the announcement about operating systems. Quicken will work on Big Sur (11.0) when it is released later this fall. It currently works on, and will continue to work on Catalina (10.15), Mojave (10.14), and High Sierra (10.13). It will also continue to run on older Mac operating systems Sierra (10.12) and El Capitan (10.11), but future updates past version 5.18.x will not install on older operating systems.
  • louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    Hmm... did I? I didn't think that Quicken would stop working. I just said that the update splash said the update was the last update to run on Catalina or High Sierra. From this, I would infer that that further updates (and hence bug fixes) would not run on either Catalina or High Sierra.
  • jacobs
    It doesn’t say Catalina. El Capitan and Sierra are the two operating systems which will no longer receive Quicken Mac updates. Catalina is the current Mac operating system, so they can’t be removing support for that. 😉
  • louabill
    louabill Member ✭✭
    Eek. Then I did misread it. Oops. 😳
This discussion has been closed.