Order of transactions (Windows and Mac)

Not sure how your bank processes transactions, but my bank considers deposits for the day before withdrawals. Yet, quicken seems to list withdraws first, then lists deposits when sorting by date (when listing future postings)

Shouldn't it be deposits before withdraws? Please consider changing this in future updates.

Best Answer

Answers

• srburg7860
    srburg7860 Member ✭✭
    I was unaware of the that workaround. Thanks.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    One of the "Big 5" national banks, where I was a Systems  Audit VP (after having designed and managed their "money mover system"), processes Debits (primarily checks which are TranCode 57) before Credits (primarily TranCode 78).
    This is to look for "daylight overdrafts",  which could be an indication  of Check-kiting.
    An occasional incident of daylight overdraft is no big deal ...but recurring, daily incidents lead  to investigations.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since you flagged this for Windows too I will point out that Windows already puts deposits before withdraws when sorted by date (in non investment accounts).

For example I entered the "Test" transaction today, and the others have been in there for a week.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    There is an Idea thread to request this change in Quicken Mac's behavior:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876849/show-deposit-before-payment-in-register-q-mac

If you want to see this change (to deposits before withdrawals), be sure to visit that thread and vote (click the little gray arrow under the counter in the blue box under the first post). This idea hasn't attracted a large number of votes; more votes will move it up the list of feature requests for the development team. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • srburg7860
    srburg7860 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Since you flagged this for Windows too I will point out that Windows already puts deposits before withdraws when sorted by date (in non investment accounts).
    >
    > For example I entered the "Test" transaction today, and the others have been in there for a week.
    > (Image)

Hi Chris,
    I just assumed that both MAC and Windows shared the same basic functionality.
  • srburg7860
    srburg7860 Member ✭✭
    > @jacobs said:
    > There is an Idea thread to request this change in Quicken Mac's behavior:
    >
    > https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876849/show-deposit-before-payment-in-register-q-mac
    >
    > If you want to see this change (to deposits before withdrawals), be sure to visit that thread and vote (click the little gray arrow under the counter in the blue box under the first post). This idea hasn't attracted a large number of votes; more votes will move it up the list of feature requests for the development team. 

Voted. Not much activity.

At least I found a workaround. I have several month of future transactions, so it's desirable to see an actual EOD balance.

It's odd that MAC and Windows wouldn't sort these transactions the same way. Oh well.

Appreciate all the feedback from everyone.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac are quite different.  Especially since Quicken Mac was totally rewritten starting in 2010.  They are working towards having Quicken Mac have the same functionality as Quicken Windows, but are not there yet, and even when that happens there is no way they will perform identically.

For instance Quicken Windows doesn't use drag and drop for anything, and you can't control the order of transactions like you can in Quicken Mac.  Which also brings up a question of how they would fulfill this kind of request.

Quicken Windows has various sorting options, and as such all of them are based on some set of rules.  If the users can reorder them manually then one has to question what happens when the rules and the manual changes conflict.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.